It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cabinda

Daft question, are you at a safe distance if things did go pear shaped with her? I have never been that up close and personal to a live active volcano so can only imagine you do sleep with an eye open!! .. not to mention a packed bag beside the bed, ... car keys..... route planner for all roads to gtf away asap!!!

Seriously though it must be awesome, and I can only imagine the noises you hear from her, the ground must vibrate with her when she wakes ...I would be glued to my windows.. ahem.. cough... you can tell I am from a cold windswept North Scotland... I meant to say if I lived there I would be sat outside basking in the glorious sunshine watching her every moment I could...lol..

Its on my list of must do's in life..... go and experience an active volcano... and where better on earth than in stunning Italy......

Be safe....

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cabinda

IT WAS HER! LOL! Big time... (Confirmed by a half deaf neighbor returning home and yelling at his wife asking is she heard her 'go off')...

So, it wasn't any more than those three 'KABOOMS' but, it was enough!

Daft question, are you at a safe distance if things did go pear shaped with her?

I don't think this island has a 'safe distance' from Etna, not one I could get to in time if where were to 'up-end' herself... But, it's just a given. She blows, she blows.
Thank you for asking though.

I have never been that up close and personal to a live active volcano so can only imagine you do sleep with an eye open!! .. not to mention a packed bag beside the bed, ... car keys..... route planner for all roads to gtf away asap!!!

Nope. She's such a part of life there's no planning, no BOB and I've got no car, everything I do I do on foot. And really, there's no place to go but the beach if she blew and honestly I'd rather be smothered in her ash than blasted with a tsunami (I presume it would create one if she blew?)...

Seriously though it must be awesome, and I can only imagine the noises you hear from her, the ground must vibrate with her when she wakes ...

Oh I am outside all the time unless the downpour is so hard I can't see. She' is the first think I look at when I get up in the morning and that last thing I look to after I tuck my chickens in to bed. I am truly appreciative of every moment I have with Her, no joke.

Its on my list of must do's in life..... go and experience an active volcano... and where better on earth than in stunning Italy......

You're welcome anytime! In fact - I once walked out back and poked her lava with a stick. I've felt more than human ever since!

Was I scared? Not at first, but when I got close? Well, I made a hasty retreat after the 'stick poking'... She makes a sound I can only describe as 'tinkling'... As the new lava rolls and the new rocks break and roll they're almost 'light' sounding and make a very distinct sound. I wish I could describe it better. I'm going to have to get a vid cam cause there really is no way to describe that sound!

Oh, and if you want to visit, lol, I hope you like chickens, turkeys, and REALLLLY RUSTIC living!

peace

edit on 21-4-2011 by silo13 because: sp

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I can't see Etna but we just had a VERY nice earthquake.

Hehehehe - I don't have info - it isn't posted on RSOE yet but I'll post it when I get it!

Can't wait for the clouds to clear up so I can check out what the Old Lady (Etna) is doing!

peace

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There has been quite a few earthqukes in the last 24 hours near Etna, do you think another eruption will follow?
source
edit on 6-5-2011 by JackieO because: provided source

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I wish I could tell you - I can't see her the weather is horrid - but normally when the earthquakes are going 'off' I don't worry - it's like she's letting off steam or whatever. It's when she 'holds it in' that I worry.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
while I envy your front row seat and the beatiful views you must see, I am also glad that I don't live near such a huge volcano. I have seen etna from a plane and would love to see it from the ground one day but I am too chicken at the minute!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JackieO

Well then, between now and the time you want to come over for a visit? Here's Etna just for you!

I took this just a few ago at sunset (obviously) and the clouds you're seeing above Her? For 'real' are more of Her 'output' than sunset clouds- my camera just doesn't show the difference too well...

ENJOY!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b758eb3b310.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

THAT is a beauty shot!!

Definitely a keeper.
for one of the best threads on ATS. Does the activity of Mt. Etna receive any attention, outside your immediate region of Italy?

Not a peep, I have seen (perhaps I just missed it). Is there much ash spewing (this would have implications for local air traffic....that might generate news interest)......

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Does the activity of Mt. Etna receive any attention, outside your immediate region of Italy?

I hate to say it but about the only time Etna get's a lot of attention is when it's a slow news day - like around a month ago - or when she REALLY blows. There's a lot of in-between that gets missed. Until now! *Evil Grin*

Thanks for the post and thumbs up!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for the pic
as to the earthquakes that are happening there,
is it normal to get 24 or something in the space of 24 hours?

I would be a wreck

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JackieO

I don't know if it's 'normal' or not but I can say I don't remember a time in over a decade that they've just kept coming and coming... Unreal - started off again this morning - a small one but still...

Beyond that I had to chuckle last evening at the (local) nightly news: not one word! Not even about the 4.0! Oh well, lol.

Have a good day,

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Update: 10:13 09.05.11

Getting some really NICE sounds out of ‘Her Majesty’ this morning.
Not much out of the ordinary on ash and steam output but some really nice BOOMS.

A few days ago there were a string of quakes and they've settled right down but She’s definitely wanting to be heard this morning. Maybe She'd just saying 'HI' to ATS...

Will update with pics if anything pic worthy is worth taking pics of.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Would love to be there and hear/see it all in person

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Would love to be there and hear/see it all in person

Well come on over!
It would be nice to share ‘Her’ with like-minded people.
I’ll have to see if one of these days I can get a video camera. My camera can take 3 mins of video but the sound never comes through. I’ll do what I can to get some pictures for you so you can at least see her ‘in action.’

I’ll also look to see if someone else has videos of the noise she makes (I’ll check YouTube). It’s a sound I’m truly unable to explain... If I had to put one word to it? I’d call it and ‘ancient’ sound.

She’s starting to put out more ash/steam... It's looking and sounding like today might just be a repeat of the April 10th episode.

peace

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
That sounds about right lol An 'ancient' sound. I imagine it sounds nothing like it does on tv.
When my degree is over I may come and see her

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Morning from sunny Scotland....( now there's two words you almost never hear together !!!! sun and Scotland !!).

Nice to hear our lady seems to be having a rumble this morning... all photos are most welcome, but above all ... keep safe...

peace

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cabinda

WOW am I just in fits here! She isn't letting up a bit today - it's just one 'boom' after another but I can't see Her!!!
There're black and gray clouds surrounding her like a tiara and I can't get a peak at what's going on behind the clouds!

If anyone has a live web cam that shows Her from the opposite side from me please post it so I can go look.

Enjoy that sunshine of yours in bonny Scotland!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
She got a mention from Eric Klemetti today:

Eruptions

He posted up this link which has a pic showing today's activity:

Etna Observatory

peace
J

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by skjalddis

How cool is that! Thank you SO MUCH! I love the pictures!

I hope everyone interested in Etna goes to your links - wow - so cool! The pics must have been taken before it clouded over (obviously) as it just went black here today around 1520 here and the rain? It hit so hard and fast - incredible stuff that.

I've not heard much more from Her since around 1800 but it's not like She's going anywhere so I hope to get some pics tomorrow.

Thank you again for adding GREAT info to this the thread!

peace

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I often read Erik Klemetti's blog - he has lots of interesting stuff on there if you're into volcanoes

That is one gorgeous picture you posted above though, very atmospheric! I would really love to hear the sounds that she makes, that must be so cool.

peace
J

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join