It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Myth of Pedophile Priests

page: 1
6
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A Penn State Professor (who is not a Catholic) has conducted a study of the pedophilia scandals in the Church and has written a book on the subject which comes to some pretty interesting conclusions.




The Myth of Pedophile Priests


As more pedophile priest scandals blow up across Europe we should be ashamed of the offenders and those who sheltered them and oppressed the victims. The guilty should be weeded out, removed from office and handed over to the civil authorities where they are guilty of crimes. Systems to avoid abuse must be established and rigorously maintained, and victims should be justly compensated for their suffering.

However, Penn State professor Philip Jenkins (who is not a Catholic) has written the most objective book on the subject, and he summarizes his arguments in this excellent article. In light of his work, we should remember some basic facts and principles:


Priestly celibacy is not the issue - married men are more likely to abuse children than unmarried

Most child abuse takes place within the home.

All religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.

Child abuse is prevalent in all areas of society: schools, youth organizations, sports, etc.

Statistically, of all the professions, Christian clergy are least likely to offend. Doctors, Farmers and Teachers are the professions most likely to abuse children--not clergy.

Read more: Standing on my Head




Was the Church wrong to cover up the pedophilia scandals?

Hell yeah it was. I hope Pope John Paul II and all of those involved in the cover-up burn in hell for what they have done. ( I know it's bad to say that but, it's just how I feel)

Is pedophilia a result of celibacy or more prevalent in the Catholic Church?

Maybe not. This may be a case of media exaggeration. But then again, who are we to question the wisdom of the MSM?

[edit on 3/29/10 by FortAnthem]




posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Priest fall into a very low % of molestation cases...I think 99% of all cases are friends or family. the other 1% percent is Clergy. The Media likes to pump up the statistics, and turn every priest into a monster, and so do all Comics, and the reason they go after Christians, Christians don't cut people's heads off.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Priest fall into a very low % of molestation cases...I think 99% of all cases are friends or family. the other 1% percent is Clergy. The Media likes to pump up the statistics, and turn every priest into a monster, and so do all Comics, and the reason they go after Christians, Christians don't cut people's heads off.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If pedophilia is more rampant in the Catholic Church than it is in the general population -- which I suspect, but do not know, that it is -- it is not to do with celibacy. It is about the power that the priest wields over his flock, and the privacy which is implied in the relationship between priests and their sheep. I actually think that most pedophilia and other sex crimes are more about power than sexual perversions... But that's nothing I can particularly defend.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You know this priest is full of crap. here's an interesting statistic, 100% of priests that had sex with underage boys are pedophiles.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by oppaperclip
You know this priest is full of crap. here's an interesting statistic, 100% of priests that had sex with underage boys are pedophiles.


Uh...


The guy who wrote the book is a Penn State Professor. He's NOT EVEN CATHOLIC, much less a priest.


Could you at least take the time to read the OP before making your knee-jerk attack on the Catholic Church?



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
If pedophilia is more rampant in the Catholic Church than it is in the general population -- which I suspect, but do not know, that it is -- it is not to do with celibacy. It is about the power that the priest wields over his flock, and the privacy which is implied in the relationship between priests and their sheep. I actually think that most pedophilia and other sex crimes are more about power than sexual perversions... But that's nothing I can particularly defend.


I thought I read somewhere about there being some loophole in a priest's "vows" that they use as personal justification for molesting young males.

I could be wrong, and a google search isn't picking up anything.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
If pedophilia is more rampant in the Catholic Church than it is in the general population -- which I suspect, but do not know, that it is -- it is not to do with celibacy. It is about the power that the priest wields over his flock, and the privacy which is implied in the relationship between priests and their sheep. I actually think that most pedophilia and other sex crimes are more about power than sexual perversions... But that's nothing I can particularly defend.


There could be some truth to the abuse of power thing. The article says "Doctors, Farmers and Teachers are the professions most likely to abuse children--not clergy."

Doctors and teachers are definitely positions of power with temptation for abuse.

Farmers though?


I guess they get tired of chasing around their sheep.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Let priests get married, then we wouldn't have this problem with priests, that's my opinion



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
Priest fall into a very low % of molestation cases...I think 99% of all cases are friends or family. the other 1% percent is Clergy. The Media likes to pump up the statistics, and turn every priest into a monster, and so do all Comics, and the reason they go after Christians, Christians don't cut people's heads off.


Thats incorrect, 30% are approximately done by relatives, while 60% are by acquaintances, which is where the priests come into it. A mere 10% is done by strangers.



Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often brothers, fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as 'friends' of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases


Also



In a statement, read out by Archbishop Silvano Maria Tomasi in September 2009, the Holy See stated "We know now that in the last 50 years somewhere between 1.5% and 5% of the Catholic clergy has been involved in sexual abuse cases," adding that this figure was comparable with that of other groups and denominations.

A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse by Dr. Thomas Plante of Stanford University and Santa Clara University states that "available research suggests that approximately 2 to 5% of priests have had a sexual experience with a minor" which "is lower than the general adult male population that is best estimated to be closer to 8%".


It seems quite high in both of those statements. Even the Archbishop claims that up to 5% of priests may have been involved in sexual abuse cases.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
Let priests get married, then we wouldn't have this problem with priests, that's my opinion


Wrong. Tons of child abuse stories came from within the family.

The problem is far deeper than simple surface details.

Solving it won't be so easy, I am afraid to say...



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem
 


I am not so interested in " The Myth of Pedophile Priests " . Rather , I am more interested in the FACT of a Pope who played a direct hand in covering up a criminal act targeting children .

OR how about the FACT that the Pope also played a direct role in relocating a Abusive Priest to a school for the deaf .

I will leave the myths for the facts on this one , thanks anyway .



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy
I thought I read somewhere about there being some loophole in a priest's "vows" that they use as personal justification for molesting young males.

I could be wrong, and a google search isn't picking up anything.


Well, pedophile priests use their vows as an excuse. Hell pedophilia isnt even banned in the bible, in fact I believe it says somewhere that you are supposed to offer a friend staying with you, your oldest daughter (or soemthing like that). In fact my girlfriend went out with a guy who was in a catholic based cult. They had their own school in which 3 of the 4 teachers were convicted pedophiles that had found god

In saying that, all pedophiles regardless of proffesion or religion use some ridiculous excuse. Look at NAMBLA!!!

In reality anyone who has unhealthy sexual thoughts involving children, should not be in a position where they have access to kids. As well as priests, this should inlcude teachers, doctors, police and psychologists



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by FortAnthem
 


I am not so interested in " The Myth of Pedophile Priests " . Rather , I am more interested in the FACT of a Pope who played a direct hand in covering up a criminal act targeting children .

OR how about the FACT that the Pope also played a direct role in relocating a Abusive Priest to a school for the deaf .

I will leave the myths for the facts on this one , thanks anyway .


I would love to see the Church clean house and kick out everyone who was involved in the cover-ups and abuse. Nothing could do more in the eyes of the world to restore the reputation of the Church.

Unfortunately, this reaches to the highest levels of the Church. I couldn't see all those guys firing themselves.

Still, one can always hope and pray.


For anyone interested in what the Church is doing NOW to fight the sex abuse scandal and how big the problem really is can check out my thread on the guy in the Vatican responsible for dealing with this sort of thing; The Church's Strict Patrol Against Pedophilia


[edit on 3/29/10 by FortAnthem]



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Not taking sides here, but. Has anyone stopped to wonder why it's just the Catholic church that's being targeted? I'm not saying it's not happening, it is and those guilty should be punished severly, but if this is happening at one why not the other religious institutions? And can anyone honestly say it's not? And if it is happening why isn't it being reported. Since this is a conspiracy site this is one that's bugging me.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321
 


Sorry I thought it was the children that were being targeted ??

Not sure what you are getting at here ? If you want to post a thread about other religions abusing children you are free to do so . If you want one of us to do it for you then you may have to wait a while .

Back to the issue of the head of the Catholic Church , the Pope , covering up abuse and relocating an abusive Priest to a school for the Deaf , I say he should step down .



[edit on 29-3-2010 by Max_TO]



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO
 


Obviously you missed the part where I said that those found guilty should be punished severly(by severly I mean I can't put down here on what I'd do to any child molester or I'd get banned, maybe ). I'm just saying that I'm surprised that know one else seems to find it odd that it's only the Catholic Church.



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   


The Pope approves this as a "myth"

/sarcasm



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think in the issue of priests molesting children, it isn't as simple as it being a statistically small number comparatively, but rather, the position and the person and what that represents.

If you are Catholic, or participate in any religion, you usually teach your children that the church is a "safe place" to go whenever you are in trouble, to turn to if you are ever in a situation and feel that you can't go to your parent or guardian, etc.

I think that there are certain cases in which no number, no matter how small when looking at the "big picture", is tolerable.

Frankly, I personally think that writing an article that in essence says: "Relax, there is a better chance your child will be molested by your uncle", is not really the point and is indicative of the society we are becoming.

No longer is "doing the wrong thing" a problem so long as there is another group, or another person, that is doing worse. We see this all the time in politics, in business, in governments, and now the church.

Perhaps I am a hypocrite, but if you ask me which is worse: a priest that took vows before God and a congregation versus the "uncle" or "strange man at the park" or the "babysitter" that didn't take or make the same promises, then yes -- I think it is worse if it's a priest.

At some point we have to begin demanding more from our leaders and stop using the excuse that "bad acts" and "lies" and "egregious mistakes" are all acceptable so long as we can point our finger at someone else and say "Well....I am not as bad as them..."

No amount of child molestation is acceptable.



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Whether or not the numbers support the "myth", real children have been abused and the Church, and likely this Pope, have acted to cover it up or, at the very least, their inaction has perpetuated crimes against children.

Anyone can understand that this is a issue in society at large but if an institution such as the Catholic Church, which purports to venerate morality and righteousness, handles the issue in such a disgusting and unethical manner, do they have any validity whatsoever?

They trumpet the noble cause of the unborn yet seem to care little for the live children that are victimized by priests and even further by Church politics.

Whether perverted Priests are a myth or not, the Church is in crisis. The Pope is deluding himself if he thinks otherwise, he even called the latest outrages idle "gossip".


And it's not just children who are victims.




[edit on 30/3/2010 by kosmicjack]

[edit on 30/3/2010 by kosmicjack]



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join