It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Tanning Tax is Racist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is funny. This goes to the point that we put to much on onus on race. I don't think this tax is aimed at Whitey, but it does hit Whitey in the Green. I guess in today society that makes it racest by association.

link   
This is funny. This goes to the point that we put to much on onus on race. I don't think this tax is aimed at Whitey, but it does hit Whitey in the Green. I guess in today society that makes it racest by association.

link   

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Ok thank you.

Now, why should Obama not tax a stupid activity that merely leads to skin damage because it's mostly white people that do it?

Does it matter what kind of low grade moron decides to do it?

[edit on 26-3-2010 by antonia]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Consider this tax anyway that you choose. However, I would love to point out a few things for you before you decide to go completely down the racist rabbit hole.

Here is some information on our current Prison Industrial Complex statistics:

Prisonsucks.com is a clearinghouse for useful, verifiable statistics about the crime control industry. Too often prison activists use statistics that are out of date, provided without citation or simply wrong. One of these days the public will start listening to prison activists, so let's be prepared to win without being sidetracked by arguments over defective statistics. In some cases, the numbers we need don't exist. In others, the facts exist but activists don't know where to find them. Now you do.
Incarceration is not an equal opportunity punishment

On December 31, 2005, there were 2,193,798 people in U.S. prisons and jails. The United States incarcerates a greater share of its population, 737 per 100,000 residents, than any other country on the planet. But when you break down the statistics you see that incarceration is not an equal opportunity punishment.

U.S. incarceration rates by race, June 30, 2006:

* Whites: 409 per 100,000
* Latinos: 1,038 per 100,000
* Blacks: 2,468 per 100,000

Source:www.prisonsucks.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

The U.S. has about .05 percent of the World's population, yet has 2/3 of the World's prison population, and most of them are Black. See a problem there??? Probably Not.

I'm sure you could rationalize it as...well, blacks just seem to be more prone to illegality and crime. Or, you could look at it like this...The way the social structure has been set in this country, the subjugation of Blacks causes them to seek more creative avenues to provide for their families. I could give you a history lesson on the treatment of Blacks in this country that you would probably deny out of pride, however, the fact is, Blacks have been incarcerated at a higher percentage in this country before they ever had rights given to them in the 60's to counteract the Jim Crow Laws of the South.

Everyone wants to scream about reverse racism, however, I don't remember too many points in American History where Blacks formed huge organizations of people who were protected by law from wearing little hooded outfits and who's main point of existence was to go out and beat, lynch, and kill Whites.

There are people who hate affirmative action. Affirmative action exists because of the many laws that PREVENTED blacks from finding reasonable employment so that they COULD provide for their families as opposed to turn to crime.

Now...granted, I could see a slight paranoia of the types that walk around with their pants dangling below their knees, waddling back and forth so that they can somehow keep them still attached before they wrap around their ankles, and wearing red and blue bandannas while bumping their crappy music that is now labeled "Rap," and I could also understand the concern of white children being influenced into that lifestyle because of popular culture, but remember, racism exists as an institution. And unless you're being rounded up in paddy wagons that are jailing whites in mass numbers and subjugating your bodies, souls, and minds...I think a tax on "tanning" is the least of your troubles.

More so, I'm pretty sure that they are taxing things that are dangerous to your health as opposed to litigating against the white man. No matter what, it is still an infringement on your constitutional rights as we should have the option of free choice, and I understand that. However, it is obvious to me that you are looking more into the specter of the New World Order as opposed to using that little voice in your head that we refer to as "common sense."

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It is all about greed and siphoning off wealth. They don't care about your health, they care about your disposable income. Look for all kinds of new taxes on anything that could be considered entertainment.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by BlackJackal

I usually like to follow the path of least resistance when to comes to the truth.

The Truth is usually found at the end of the path with Most resistance

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
OH no! Obama's new tax on soda is prejudiced against fat people! JERK!

OH no! Obama's new tax on cigarettes is prejudiced against people with lung cancer! JERK!

Did ya ever bother to think that maybe these new taxes aren't prejudiced, but rather an act of deterrence? I.E. smoking is bad for you, soda is bad for you, tanning is bad for you, et c.

it isn't the government's place to tax us as deterrence. it isn't their place to do much of anything besides deliver the mail and defend our borders. the fact we let them do things like this, outside their purview, is a direct picture of the sad state of our republic. it's kind of funny how our ancestors created this country to get free from a tyrannical government that taxed them for pretty much every thing they did, and yet here were are again being taxed for pretty much everything we do, and some people defend it because they mistakenly think "it's good for us".

i don't know about the rest of you, but i'll live my life as I choose and gladly suffer the consequences rather than be babied by a wannabe nanny state and it's ardent sheep protectors.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

EM,

I usually like to read the things you say, but that post is a joke.

How bout we all "live in the here and now" and our actions speak for themselves. There's NO excuse for doing the wrong thing in life just as you do the right thing, you get rewarded with a good life, you do the wrong thing you'll reap what you sow.

NO-ONE TO BLAME

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It is scary how many people are saying "How can they be so stupid to tax tanning" and no one is asking 'how can they be so stupid as to pay to get a tan?'

The last time I checked, the sun was still free. People who pay to get tan deserve to pay a tax just for the stupidity of going outdoors to go indoors to pay to get the radiation that was free outdoors.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautifuldreamer
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

technically nothing being done away with noones telling you you cant do it theres just upping the cost so you dont have to stop unless u dont think its worth you paying that much money and if thats the case where is your argument then

Techincally your wrong, Raising the taxes is in fact telling you, that you cant do it... Its wrong to tax one group of people burgers, tanning, smokes, beer. But you let a bunch of other people walk around with there fried chicken, watermelons, liquor, beans, rice, do you not see the point? You cant levy taxes against someones chosen lifestyle? We all know the dangers of tanning, smoking, eating unhealthy. But its not your place or the Governments place to raise taxes on it... They want to pay for the stupid screwed up heatlh care fraud raise taxes 10% across the board...

That wont happen because then they'd have no support for the stupid bill and you know it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock
reply to post by schrodingers dog

O.K. so the obvious race issue aside, now that the Gov. will be in control of our healthcare get ready for new laws & taxes on any vice that is "bad" for your health:

smoking anything
drinking alcohol/soda
STEAK
fast food
candy, potato chips
friday pizza night
sitting down too long (watching t.v. or internet)

Oh yeah! your grocery list will be scrutanized (if you have the little dicount swip card they'll know what you buy)

I'm 40 yrs. old in good health, excersise and enjoy all the above.

Probably a little off topic but the tan tax is just another step to KEEP YOU HEALTHY
because you/we the people are a self destructive species and the Gov. knows best.

You will be assimilated!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Taxing tanning beds is silly, though I think using tanning beds is silly too. I prefer being outdoors in the sunlight, you get a tan and vitamin D also.

If they really wanted to tax an industry that does harm to our health they should be targeting the companies that produce sun blocks. Blocking the sun's rays from the skin seriously depletes the amount of vitamin D in our bodies. Which is most likely the culprit behind skin cancers and many other illnesses.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Maybe time outdoors in the sun will be taxed next. A 'sun usage tax'.

Seriously, no wonder the rest of the world laughs at us. Lunatics are in charge.

^ This. The whole idea is ridiculous. What about the sun you get while you're walking your dog or playing with your kids? Maybe they should tack on a tax for the whole population- "Danger tax." Charge us all 20% more a year off the top of our wages because we have to go outside.

Oh and homes should now be built with no windows- dangerous sunshine might get in!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
What boggles my mind is that out of all of the industries out there to tax, they choose tanning salons.

I'm sure we could think of many major industries that are 10 times worse on our health.

Tabacco...big lobbyists money in DC
Ditto...High Fructose Corn Syrup/Soda Pop

Etc.

Honestly it looks they were searching for a health risk discouraging tax that didn't have a huge lobbyist firm in DC that would further fund the GOP opposition.

Tanning salons fit the bill...pun intended.

Not any giant "tanning salon" lobby in DC. It sounds mercilous, but that is my guess.

..indoor tanning before the age of 35 is linked to a 75% increase in the risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer,

30 million Americans hit the tanning beds each year and about 2.3 million of these people are teenagers.

the United States currently spends about $1.8 billion on treating skin cancers each year and $300 million on melanoma alone,

This tax will bring in maybe 2 Billion...

*numbers from the Op article

[edit on 26-3-2010 by maybereal11]

[edit on 26-3-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

EM,

I usually like to read the things you say, but that post is a joke.

How bout we all "live in the here and now" and our actions speak for themselves. There's NO excuse for doing the wrong thing in life just as you do the right thing, you get rewarded with a good life, you do the wrong thing you'll reap what you sow.

NO-ONE TO BLAME

Well, I don't pretend to be able to please everyone, or, anyone for that matter. However, racism is a construct. At times, people will claim racism where there is no need...This includes blacks and whites.

And, it would help me if you were able to point out the areas of my argument where you had a problem so that I can better explain it to you. I need specifics.

And, I hardly think of my last post as a joke, if you do, then obviously there must have been misinterpretation, or, you simply do not hold my same belief...which is fine. But, there is valuable information within that post that one could use to weed through their perceptions of this "supposed" litigation to infringe upon the rights of "white people."

There are plenty of laws that have been recently passed that could be viewed as malicious, malevolent, and greedy. However, I don't see the "tanning tax" as one of them. The only joke here is that racism is hiding behind the white right to tan.

Much love to all...

[edit on 26-3-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Fair enough, give me a few minutes i'm juggling work & play right now. I mainly think your post could use it's own thread to get all that covered. It was a whole lot of info. for the tanning bed thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
it isn't the government's place to tax us as deterrence.

I hear you.

I just would rather here people complain about the issue and not turn it into a racial attack.

That point is silly.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
Consider this tax anyway that you choose. However, I would love to point out a few things for you before you decide to go completely down the racist rabbit hole.

O.K. for starters, the last statement you made " before you decide to go completely down the racist rabbit hole."

It seems to me that you want more out of this tanning bed post than what's here.

Here is some information on our current Prison Industrial Complex statistics:

On December 31, 2005, there were 2,193,798 people in U.S. prisons and jails. The United States incarcerates a greater share of its population, 737 per 100,000 residents, than any other country on the planet. But when you break down the statistics you see that incarceration is not an equal opportunity punishment.

U.S. incarceration rates by race, June 30, 2006:

* Whites: 409 per 100,000
* Latinos: 1,038 per 100,000
* Blacks: 2,468 per 100,000

Source:www.prisonsucks.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

O.K. so the stats that YOU posted are here. The #'s speak for themselves.

The U.S. has about .05 percent of the World's population, yet has 2/3 of the World's prison population, and most of them are Black. See a problem there??? Probably Not.

Why would I?? I believe in personal reponsability, yes I got into some trouble during my youth (I paid the price learned from it and moved on to better myself.)

I'm sure you could rationalize it as...well, blacks just seem to be more prone to illegality and crime. Or, you could look at it like this...The way the social structure has been set in this country, the subjugation of Blacks causes them to seek more creative avenues to provide for their families.

Whoever would use the above rationale, has no morals or personal responability. It's not my fault mantality. GROW UP! MAN UP!

Everyone wants to scream about reverse racism, however, I don't remember too many points in American History where Blacks formed huge organizations of people who were protected by law from wearing little hooded outfits and who's main point of existence was to go out and beat, lynch, and kill Whites.

Research all the white people who sided againsrt racism. Yeah, they had it E-Z I know. (sarcasm)

Affirmative action exists because of the many laws that PREVENTED blacks from finding reasonable employment so that they COULD provide for their families as opposed to turn to crime.

So what about TODAY here and now??

No matter what, it is still an infringement on your constitutional rights as we should have the option of free choice, and I understand that. However, it is obvious to me that you are looking more into the specter of the New World Order as opposed to using that little voice in your head that we refer to as "common sense."

Your right: "infringement on your constitutional rights".

My main issue is everyone needs to have to more personable resposability for their action. It's not the Gov.'s, another race or history's fault. NO-ONE TO BLAME.

I'm out, got the in-laws comming in for the week.
I really wanna blame someone for that.
Peace

Edit to add, this a powerful post, is it O.K.??

Specifically this post

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 5 oClock]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Whats the point of going to a tanning bed ? Are you not satisfied with your natural skin color ?

Im guessing this is white peoples equivalent to skin bleaching.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join