It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Tanning Tax is Racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mandob453

Yes, there is a tax on cosmetic surgery.

Calling this bill racist is frankly, grasping at straws. It is a tax on a item that increases health care costs, just like cigarette taxes.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I saw this this morning and couldnt stop laughing. It never crossed my mind that it's racist. I'm white and I cant stand tanning beds. They make you orange. I prefer the good old Sun if I want to tan.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Just mention racism and no matter how spurious the thread you are guaranteed dozens of replies. A tanning tax is no different from the tax on plastic surgery (which will definitely affect Nancy Pelosi). You want to look different it will cost you a bit more.
Considering what kind of totalitarian crapola is in the bill you must be the only person in the world upset by this particular section of it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This tax is just plain stupid although my favorite new regulation has to be the one where fast food restaurants have to post calories on their menu's.
"Holy cow, I had no idea that a Big Mac was high in fat and loaded with calories, thank you for protecting me from making a bad food choice when I go to McDonalds, Mr. Government"

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Skin cancer is racist and the tanning tax is racist, and the last I knew, two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I feel sorry for my mom, she bought a tanning salon 3 months ago or so. Now she is going to be super-taxed. What luck eh..

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

O.K. so the obvious race issue aside, now that the Gov. will be in control of our healthcare get ready for new laws & taxes on any vice that is "bad" for your health:

smoking anything
drinking alcohol/soda
STEAK
fast food
candy, potato chips
friday pizza night
sitting down too long (watching t.v. or internet)

Oh yeah! your grocery list will be scrutanized (if you have the little dicount swip card they'll know what you buy)

I'm 40 yrs. old in good health, excersise and enjoy all the above.

Probably a little off topic but the tan tax is just another step to KEEP YOU HEALTHY
because you/we the people are a self destructive species and the Gov. knows best.

You will be assimilated!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So if you're going to go to one extreme and call racism, i suppose you should go to the other extreme as well, ya know? Just to be fair?

To go to the other extreme, you should be saying:

Welfare favors black people. It's easier to get on welfare for any black man or woman than anyone else of any other color.

I don't have statistics to back that up, but, just like you, i made it up off of my own minuscule life observations on the subject.

And while we're on a roll here, i guess we should say that only Hispanics drive low riders, and Asians are persecuted by seat belt laws.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

So if you're going to go to one extreme and call racism, i suppose you should go to the other extreme as well, ya know? Just to be fair?

To go to the other extreme, you should be saying:

Welfare favors black people. It's easier to get on welfare for any black man or woman than anyone else of any other color.

I don't have statistics to back that up, but, just like you, i made it up off of my own minuscule life observations on the subject.

And while we're on a roll here, i guess we should say that only Hispanics drive low riders, and Asians are persecuted by seat belt laws.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by Snarf]

I'm just gonna type this as a reply to your rediculous post as to not make a MOD. do it:

OFF TOPIC, BAD BOY!!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

it's really just capitalizing on people that are too stupid to take advantage of a free source of tanning: THE SUN!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Alright ladies and gentlemen.

It appears that many of you are just dragging the line of its just a tax, because tanning is bad for you. Like I have said before, this is true but, this is a tax on only one race.

If there was a tax levied against just blacks or Hispanics people would be crawling out of the wood work screaming racism. But, since this happens to be a tax on white people, its no big deal. This is my point.

Also, for the record I have never stepped into a tanning salon, have no intention of ever going to a tanning salon, and probably can't even tell you where one is. However, I do have a problem with this tax, it is not right.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
One of the problems with having the government entrenched in healthcare is this very tax...and all the ones to follow. Start thinking about all of the things that the government says -- keeping in mind that it changes week to week [anybody remember the whole butter / margarine debate?] -- are not healthy for us and therefore to combat the additional costs these products put on the healthcare system, they have to be taxed.

There is no ceiling on the endless amount of products and activities that could make the list.

Further, it unfairly punishes people that use moderation and have self-control and causes them to pay a penalty for those that don't.

I also think that there is a huge potential for conflict of interest based on the parent companies of some of these products and the governments unwillingness to tick certain ones off. Yes, I believe the government will target certain companies and industries while allowing others to "pass".

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I concur...such a burden on us po white folks.

The least they could have done was also place a tax on hamhocks, chittlins and watermelon for blacks and tacos for the Hispanics. Of course for the oriental a tax on dog and horse meat should suffice.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by romanmel]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by misterhype

If we permit the government to begin taxing activities considered "stupid" we might as well turn over our entire paychecks and life savings now!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
OH no! Obama's new tax on soda is prejudiced against fat people! JERK!

OH no! Obama's new tax on cigarettes is prejudiced against people with lung cancer! JERK!

Did ya ever bother to think that maybe these new taxes aren't prejudiced, but rather an act of deterrence? I.E. smoking is bad for you, soda is bad for you, tanning is bad for you, et c.

Do you even bother to think before you write? Your advocating for the Federal Government to Tax things that can be unhealthy for you... Sod off.. If I want to Smoke I am going to, I want to drink 30 Mt. Dews a day, I will. If I want to eat 12 Quarter Pounders I will, It’s not your place or the Feds place to tell me what I can and Cannot do with my own body...

O yea Abortions are not good for the Female Body let’s just do away with them... Under your argument that is.. Simple People I swear.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by misterhype

If we permit the government to begin taxing activities considered "stupid" we might as well turn over our entire paychecks and life savings now!

By george, I think you have determined their exact purpose.
They have a good start on my "life savings" already...all that is left is the social security check, I guess.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
What boggles my mind is that out of all of the industries out there to tax, they choose tanning salons.

I'm sure we could think of many major industries that are 10 times worse on our health.

There is always the sun...............

Yea I agree who thought this little tax up,

Hey guys how about tanning, yea lets tax tanning salons,

I mean seriously?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It absolutely is racist though the MSM will never report on this. Unfortunately, if you do something against white people, it isn't perceived as being racist, only "just". Too bad that Americans have been brainwashed or indoctrinated to believe that white people are evil and that policies are needed to make it harder for white people to succeed. If white people try to stick up for their own race or even call out racial inequalities, then they are considered racist. In this day in age, you are considered a second class citizen if you are white. It is harder to get into good schools, get grants and/or scholarships or even get a good job. It is almost guaranteed that they are going to find more and more white only taxes so they can try to "equalize" whites. It's pretty clear to me that they aren't trying to equalize whites but rather make them lower on the totem pole or second class citizens.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by jam321
What boggles my mind is that out of all of the industries out there to tax, they choose tanning salons.

I'm sure we could think of many major industries that are 10 times worse on our health.

There is always the sun...............

Yea I agree who thought this little tax up,

Hey guys how about tanning, yea lets tax tanning salons,

I mean seriously?

Yeah, but consider this: If they tax somthing stupid, people may come back and say, "I'm sure we could think of many major industries that are 10 times worse on our health." They could then use that as a reason to tax those items, as well...get it?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It cannot be a tax on a specific race due to the fact that it doesn't apply to all subjects who categorically belong to that specific race but only a subset of that category.

If you READ the article, the lobbying behind this was from the dermatological lobby in lieu of a tax on cosmetic surgery due the statistically high risks with indoor tanning.

It appears to be categorically speaking, another "Sin" tax, like those imposed upon alcohol and cigarettes.

The American Academy of Dermatology, which strongly opposed the Botax, applauded the inclusion of the tanning tax as a replacement because of the significant health risks associated with indoor tanning. According to the Academy, indoor tanning before the age of 35 is linked to a 75% increase in the risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, which has also become more common in young females. Meanwhile, nearly 30 million Americans hit the tanning beds each year and about 2.3 million of these people are teenagers. An indoor tanning tax will therefore "serve as a signal from the federal government to young people that indoor tanning is dangerous and should be avoided," said Dr. William James, president of the academy.

What is sad is how Americans here on ATS use any excuse at all to rally around and to spew racism here on ATS.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join