It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Tanning Tax is Racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
What they NEED to do is get all those government workers off the payroll so they will not have to tax people that don't have enough money already. When times get tough, we have to tighten our belts, they should have to do the same. I have actually heard government employees say that they made so much money that they almost feel bad about taking their paycheck. I thought they were kidding until I found out how much they were making.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

At some point in your life, you might realize that we have certain programs which help people in economic classes that may not be as fortunate as yours. The people who benefit from these programs come from a variety of backgrounds. On that note, I wish ATS would implement a system which tells the screen name of people who star posts. I don't think anybody should have a problem with everyone knowing that they agree with somebody on a particular issue.

On the subject of tanning bed taxes, I don't think that it's much of a problem. Nobody is forced to go to a tanning business to get a tan. It's just been embedded in people minds that they need a tan; it's certainly not necessary.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
seriously everyone here should be used to discrimantion, there are many taxes that noone agrees with, could it be they added a tax to tanning because the amount of energy used during, or could it even be possible this is just the first of many stupid taxes to come becasue our government is broke, whatever the reason dont really worry about, do you really think things are going to last long enough for anyone to be worrying about there tan not being evn, i mean seriously its so funny what people find important in life these days, I cant wait to get away from it all

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This board is ridiculous...

Tanning Salons kill you. Tax the people that are going to die so they get the hint to stop using them. It's like cigarettes. Cigs and tanning salons will kill you. Good lord people

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

technically nothing being done away with noones telling you you cant do it theres just upping the cost so you dont have to stop unless u dont think its worth you paying that much money and if thats the case where is your argument then

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Yeah, but consider this: If they tax somthing stupid, people may come back and say, "I'm sure we could think of many major industries that are 10 times worse on our health." They could then use that as a reason to tax those items, as well...get it?

It's getting complicated,

So we have the government running our lives, including our health care, yes I can for-see a time when they could ration what medical help you receive because you didn't always eat healthy or exercise enough.

How's that?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
reply to post by mandob453

Yes, there is a tax on cosmetic surgery.

Calling this bill racist is frankly, grasping at straws. It is a tax on a item that increases health care costs, just like cigarette taxes.

How can it not be considered racist? They have conducted studies showing that whites make up the majority of tanning salon customers. A large majority.

There also appears to be trends developing among senior citizens and among some Hispanic and African American population groups, who are tanning for health-related benefits as well as for cosmetic reasons. While still statistically small, the numbers appear to be on the rise.

Link: www.scienceblog.com...
The above study was done in 2004.

Edit to add:

I would also argue that tanning is healthy, when done in moderation of course.

Relaxation and better mood aside, tanning does offer some other health benefits that are often overlooked by the mainstream public (but not by frequent tanners, it turns out).

Most notably, tanning gives the body a chance to produce vitamin D, a nutrient that has come out as a major player in fighting everything from cancer to heart disease to depression, and which many Americans may not be getting enough of.

"Instead of tanning just for cosmetic reasons, an increasing number of regular tanning bed users have learned that regular, responsible and moderate exposure to UV light -- from natural or artificial sources -- is important to well-being, natural vitamin D production and disease prevention," said tanning technology researcher Michael Stepp, who is CEO of Wolff System Technology (a manufacturer of sunlamps for tanning beds).

In circumstances when a person is unable to get out into natural sunlight, either because of climate or a disability, some experts say tanning beds may offer a suitable solution to getting adequate amounts of vitamin D.

Link: www.sixwise.com...

[edit on 26-3-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012

Tanning Salons kill you. Tax the people that are going to die so they get the hint to stop using them. It's like cigarettes. Cigs and tanning salons will kill you. Good lord people

MY dad and granddad smoked till the day they died, and they lived into their eighties,

My mother never did anything, and died at sixty four.

Guess what life is hazardous for your health.

What?
You want to live forever?

[edit on 103131p://bFriday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Good lord people [/quote

yea i dont understand so your mad cuz its ognna cost a bit more to do something usless like artificial tanning, if money was the concern why ere u going anyways you couldnt just went outside

oh and i didnt mean you i meant who atarted this i agree this board is ridiculous

[edit on 26-3-2010 by beautifuldreamer]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautifuldreamer

Good lord people [/quote

yea i dont understand so your mad cuz its ognna cost a bit more to do something usless like artificial tanning, if money was the concern why ere u going anyways you couldnt just went outside

oh and i didnt mean you i meant who atarted this i agree this board is ridiculous

OH brother.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer.

wake up people. Tanning is not good. I was a lifeguard for 10 years i know a little bit about this.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Alright ladies and gentlemen.

If there was a tax levied against just blacks or Hispanics people would be crawling out of the wood work screaming racism. But, since this happens to be a tax on white people, its no big deal. This is my point.

I get exactly what your saying
. What's sad is all the replies from those WHO DON'T GET IT are probably white

Yeah, most people posting probably don't go or care about tanning beds, but it's the point behind it (read between the lines)

I don't care what color your skin is, the Gov. (Rep's & Dem's) want to control every aspaect of our lives.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm 40 yrs old, I drink, smoke, eat steak and work out. I'm in good health and can take care of myself, BUT OUT GOV.

Just call it as I see it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Right, people!

Cars kill...tax 'em

Airplanes kill...tax 'em

Electric chairs kill...tax 'em

Military kills...tax 'em

Hell, just tax everything and be done with it, ok?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Actually, there are an entire litany of things that can kill you when used in excess:

Alcohol
Salt
Sugar [also one of the leading causes of obesity. Wait til that tax hits]
Vitamin A
Beef

just to mention a few.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer.

wake up people. Tanning is not good. I was a lifeguard for 10 years i know a little bit about this.

What's the difference when I'm out on my boat "trying" to catch a fish & a buzz for hours in the sun? I only go through my initial beginning of the year MILD sunburn (it's innevitable)

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

his new 10% tanning tax is predominantly imposed on Caucasians only.

Sure.

The Tan Tax is the new "Whites Only" water-fountain.
Except that anyone can drink from it if they like.

Everyone who uses the service is taxed so it isn't specifically targeting any race. If a Black person uses the service (and yes in spite of the race-based irony in your argument Black people do tan) does the tax they pay not count as discrimination too?

Does it only count when you are white and have to pay it?
Will it eventually be waived based on how dark you already are?

The tax is motivated by money my friend, not some Machiavellian plot against whites (women really) who tan.

WARNING: Your definition of racism is very loose, and your Race Card is hereby rescinded due to improper use!!!

Originally posted by nh_ee
It cannot be a tax on a specific race due to the fact that it doesn't apply to all subjects who categorically belong to that specific race but only a subset of that category.

^
This.

What is sad is how Americans here on ATS use any excuse at all to rally around and to spew racism here on ATS.

If anything this tax is going to hit mostly women.

Coming up: Obamas' Tan Tax is Sexist, Too!

STAY TUNED.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

I just going to make a nearly identical post.

Tanning beds are known to cause melanoma, that 10% could be used to help pay of those that were foolish enough enough their youth to use them, or those now who are now even more foolish for using them when the cancer risk is known, in the event that they do develop skin cancer.

Yes, there are additional taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, and maybe a certain currently illegal drug in CA.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If there was a tax levied against just blacks or Hispanics people would be crawling out of the wood work screaming racism. But, since this happens to be a tax on white people, its no big deal. This is my point.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01001623861f.gif[/atsimg]

You do NOT understand the tax and have no point.
Plain and simple.

This tax is NOT levied against White people.

Good God, you didn't even twist the argument properly.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
100% of abortions are dangerous to the unborn babies' health- how is the taxation of this "industry" treated?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01001623861f.gif[/atsimg]

You do NOT understand the tax and have no point.
Plain and simple.

This tax is NOT levied against White people.

Good God, you didn't even twist the argument properly.

- Lee

not just against white people, but disproportionately against white people.

Not that I am backing up the argument, but that point is self evident, and it is no more crazy than some of the "racism" arguments put forward from those of a non white perspective, unfortunately they tend to get official backing and attention from rabble rousers.............

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join