It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 300 arrests, dozens of guns seized in undercover operation near schools

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Over 300 arrests, dozens of guns seized in undercover operation near schools

www.wmctv.com

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Police made more than 300 arrests and took dozens of weapons off Memphis streets during a recent operation designed to cut down on crime near schools, officials said Monday.

Police Director Larry Godwin said "Operation: Safe Campus" was started after a number of guns were found on campus at Memphis City Schools in January. Godwin said gangs, drugs and money are forming a circle of crime that is happening too close to many schools.

"We feel the guns entering the schools are obviously coming from the streets the houses and entering onto campus," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

"It shows you clearly and concretely the issues we've known that are in and around our schools and contiguous to our schools," Memphis City Schools Superintendent Kriner Cash said. "This is unacceptable."

According to police, 17 the weapons on display Monday were found inside three houses located less than a quarter of a mile from Mitchell High School. [color=GOLD]But at least one homeowner said his personal weapon was taken after police kicked in his door.

Of the more than 300 arrests made during the operation, only one suspect was an actual student.

It's happening folks...they are coming after the guns...in the guise of 'keeping our children safe' they are kicking down doors and confiscating citizens guns...

Welcome to the police state...

www.wmctv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I was just commenting on this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and now it looks like WWIII might kick off here too.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rainfall

What about the drugs and crime? Don't you think thatthis is a problem that should be addressed. The problem is one of crime. Criminals also like to own guns. It doesn't seem bad to round up the local criminals..

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I can see, just as certain offenders arent permitted to live within certain proximity to schools, gun owners being told they cannot live within a certain distance to a school.

I drive right by an elementary school to get to my range. It always pops in my head "what would happen if I got pulled over for anything within the 'school zone' with a truck full of guns?"

Thankfully cops around here arent insane so likely I'd just my warning or ticket for whatever I was pulled over for.

Another thing, I love it when reports and people act all shocked and amazed at violence and gangs in schools. Where the hell do they think a bunch of kids will get together and form or recruit for their little groups? Schools are little more than gang manufacturing facilities.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Criminals also like to own guns. It doesn't seem bad to round up the local criminals..

But there is a problem when law abiding, gun owning citizens are lumped in with the criminals.....wake up!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I have defended the right to own over and over. So, think before speaking.

This doesn't seem like a snatch and grab operation. This was an undercover operation that lasted at least five weeks. They targeted drug dealers and gang members that moved in to the neighborhood around the school. It seems to me that the police were acting in the best interest of the community.

If you read the article:

104 of the arrest were made because the suspects were indicted by a grand jury. 15 of the indicted people are "known gang members."

The 17 confiscated weapons on display were taken from three houses where they also found 1.5 pounds of marijuana total.

One of the guns was confiscated in a traffic stop. It was taken from a back pack and found to have an obliterated serial number.

They also seized 2.39 ounces of crack coc aine, 7+ pounds of marijuana, Xanax, Hydrocodone pills, and Ecstasy pills.

To me it really doesn't look like they were hunting to strip anybody of their constitutional rights. Memphis is one of the most dangerous citys in America. It looks like the cops were trying to make it a little safer.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
After reading the article, I can say that all the police did was target the houses that were either already suspected of doing illegale activity, namely drugs, or were part of gang activity, and those individuals were engaging in criminal activities. 5 weeks and over 100 arrests, that breaks down to about 20 people a week, in an attempts to keep children safe. Now I am not for gun control, however, in this case the police did have probable cause. The question should be how many of those that they arrested will go to jail? If you are a home owner, then you have to know exactly what all goes on under that roof, or you can and will be held accountable for all actions that happens there. You can not just claim ignorance to what is going on, especially if you are a parent and your child comes and goes all night long, or is engaging in activities that may include breaking the law. Now I can imagine that if the home owner that had his personal firearm taken after the police kicked in his door can prove in a court of law that nothing was going on, and it is possible, the police would be finanacially responsible for not only paying for the repairs to the home, but also returning the firearm that they took. But if he can not, or that it is proved that there was illegale activities going on, then the police was justified. Not all actions taken by the police are to crack down on civil liberties.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

One out of three hundred claims his personal weapon was illegaly taken. Maybe he had used it for a crime. Maybe they kicked in his door because his son or brother was being arrested and they took his gun for investigative purposes. Maybe the guy is proclaiming inoccence when he is guilty of something. Maybe he didn't have a purchase or CCW permit. Maybe he is a convicted felon illegaly in posession of a fire arm.

We do not have enough information to pass judgement on what happen.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Maybe he had used it for a crime.....Maybe they kicked in his door because his son or brother was being arrested....Maybe the guy is proclaiming inoccence....Maybe he didn't have a purchase or CCW permit. Maybe he is a convicted felon....

Maybe, maybe, maybe.....don't expect anyone to speak up for you when your door is kicked in and your guns are taken...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Guns are a problem in Society.... especially in the USA... basically if you own a gun, this means you are willing to use it to either injure or kill someone else... now i can see why people would want to have protection to protect their families in case of intrusion but there is always the risk of one of their kids picking up this gun and going out with it....

Guns are used in everyday life for a Gangster or Gang member and the streets would be a lot safer if they were'nt around so by breaking down doors and confiscating these guns they are preventing this...

I suppose if you had children going to these schools close by that you'd want them to go to school without fear of being gunned down or joining some gang...

So... you can't have it both ways.... you either hand in your guns and hope no-one intruds into your property or you keep the guns and run the risk of being caught with them or killing someone....

People take lives.... many lives.... guns were made for one purpose only and that is to kill!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
What about the drugs and crime? Don't you think thatthis is a problem that should be addressed. The problem is one of crime. Criminals also like to own guns. It doesn't seem bad to round up the local criminals..

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Tiger5]

I agree, as long as they have probable cause to do so. I don't immediately see anything wrong with this, one case notwithstanding. The ones who believe they were wronged will still have the opportunity to present their case in court.

That said, the authorities don't have any legal right to go randomly kicking in doors to search for anything without a reasonable suspicion of guilt.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Guns are a problem in Society.... especially in the USA... basically if you own a gun, this means you are willing to use it to either injure or kill someone else... now i can see why people would want to have protection to protect their families in case of intrusion but there is always the risk of one of their kids picking up this gun and going out with it....

Guns are not a problem in society. Guns are inanimate objects the last time I checked, completely unable to cause problems...my owning a handgun(s) does mean I have a means to protect my person, that's true. It also means that I, upon occasion, go out to the range and rip up some paper targets. Other people collect firearms. There are a myriad of reasons people own firearms... The risk of one of their kids picking it up is not the guns, it's the idiots masquerading as parents. You own a handgun/rifle/shotgun, and have kids...you damned well better train them, from the crib, to respect them as the possibly dangerous tools they are/can be. I was, from the crib, taught just that. They are not toys. They are not problem solvers. Guns are tools.

Guns are used in everyday life for a Gangster or Gang member and the streets would be a lot safer if they were'nt around so by breaking down doors and confiscating these guns they are preventing this...

Do you honestly think that? The streets will be safer? Seriously? ...and that reasoning justifies breaking down doors and trampling, with oh so noble intentions, the civil liberties of ordinary citizens? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I suppose if you had children going to these schools close by that you'd want them to go to school without fear of being gunned down or joining some gang...

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, that's not an issue in most school areas. ...if it is, the police and the citizens of the area need to do something about it. Kickin' down the doors isn't the answer. Community involvement in removing the criminal element is the answer. You make the criminals/gangs feel unwelcome they'll move on, then that area does the same, and so on... Soon the gang is no more. Until that happens you're going to have the problem. Attempting to confiscate hand guns isn't the answer, or even a part of the answer.

So... you can't have it both ways.... you either hand in your guns and hope no-one intruds into your property or you keep the guns and run the risk of being caught with them or killing someone....

I'll keep mine, thanks. It's not me running the risk, by the bye, it's the fool who thinks I'm an easy mark in my home... It's their risk.

People take lives.... many lives.... guns were made for one purpose only and that is to kill!!!

People take each others lives everyday without guns. Guns were made to kill... And? If you think society, American or otherwise, would be "safer" without the presence, or the possibility of the presence, of handguns; we've reached an impasse of monumental proportions, and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

[edit on 3/9/2010 by seagull]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Well, criminals will have guns no matter what the laws are. Actually the last statistic I saw (which I can grab a source for if you want it) state that 75% of inmates questioned received their guns by other than legal means.

If a citizen goes through the proper channels to own a gun and is not a felon, I would say it is a breach of constitutional rights to confiscate that weapon without cause. The fact that police kicked down the door is another red flag. Where was the warrant?? I didn't see anything about a search warrant (although I may have missed it).

Yes crime is bad, but so is illegal search and seizure and the illegal confiscation of legitimate gun owner's weapons.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
OMG there coming after peoples drugs to those evil police! Sarcasm. Seems like a lot of guns, drugs and money for law abidng citizens.

On February 23, 2010:

51 defendants were indicted and 1 Juvenile defendant was to be arrested.
The charges are Manufacture/Deliver/Sell of a Controlled Substance to wit: Crack Cocaine, Powder Cocaine, Ecstasy and Heroin.
Of the 52 suspects, 10 individuals are known gang members.

On March 2, 2010:

49 defendants were indicted and 3 Juveniles defendants were to be arrested.
The charges are Manufacture/Deliver/Sell of a Controlled Substance to wit: Crack Cocaine, Powder Cocaine and Heroin.
Of the 52 suspects, 5 individuals are known gang members.

The parallel investigation utilizing Organized Crime Unit plain clothes detectives resulted in additional arrests. Examples of those arrests are:

•On February 1, 2010 OCU detectives conducted a traffic stop at Knight Arnold and Ashwood, which is approximately 1/2 of a mile from Sheffield High School, and discovered 3.9 pounds of marijuana and nearly $3000 in the back seat of the vehicle. Jackie Arnold (Booking #10104061) was arrested for traffic charges and Possession of a controlled substance with intent to Manufacture/Deliver/Sell.
•On February 4, 2010 OCU detectives executed search warrants at 562, 566, and 572 Gilleas, which are less than 1/4 of a mile from Mitchell High School, after receiving information that persons in these residences were selling marijuana to Mitchell High School students. Detectives seized 17 weapons and 1.5 pounds of marijuana from these homes. No one was home when the warrants were executed but Adrian Turner (Booking #101046980) was arrested the next day and charged with Possession of controlled substance with intent to Manufacture/deliver/sell and being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun.
•On February 10, 2010 OCU detectives made a traffic stop in front of Hamilton High School (Person and Elvis Presley Blvd) and seized a loaded Ruger .40 caliber handgun (obliterated serial number) which was discovered in a backpack found in the vehicle. The passenger in the vehicle, Marquett Marr (Booking #10105254), was arrested for unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of an item with altered ID plate.
•On February 25, 2010 OCU detectives executed a search warrant at 287 Burwood, which is less than 1/2 of a mile from Fairley Elementary and Fairley High School, and seized 62.2 grams of crack coc aine, 2.60 grams of powder coc aine, 3.13 grams of marijuana and over $13,000. DeMeko Greene (Booking #10107482) was arrested for multiple counts of Possession of controlled substance with intent to Manufacture/deliver/sell. :

[edit on 9-3-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
I have defended the right to own over and over. So, think before speaking.

It seems to me that the police were acting in the best interest of the community.

If you read the article:

104 of the arrest were made because the suspects were indicted by a grand jury. 15 of the indicted people are "known gang members."

The 17 confiscated weapons on display were taken from three houses where they also found 1.5 pounds of marijuana total.

One of the guns was confiscated in a traffic stop. It was taken from a back pack and found to have an obliterated serial number.

They also seized 2.39 ounces of crack coc aine, 7+ pounds of marijuana, Xanax, Hydrocodone pills, and Ecstasy pills.

To me it really doesn't look like they were hunting to strip anybody of their constitutional rights. Memphis is one of the most dangerous citys in America. It looks like the cops were trying to make it a little safer.

Unfortunately your interpretation is easily arrived at - it is easy for them to say a whole bunch of stuff, all the while kicking in doors and taking peoples guns.

What is a 'known gang member' ? Is that something thats been proved in court? Is it similar to being a 'known terrorist sympathizer'?

I agree with the OP, this is a thinly veiled move to remove guns from citizens.

Do you think when the secret plice in Germany or Russia kicked down peoples doors that they did not have some excuse? Do you think the neighbors looked and thought - OMG? What is happening?

Or did they think; Those people must have done something wrong, they must be traitors, they must be the enemy.

They will always have a plausible sounding exscuse - the bottom line is - if they do not have a warrant, if they do not have a crime to pursue - then they are riding rough shod over citizens rights.

Again - I agree with the OP - this is simply the beginning.

Next it will be - suspected extremists, domestic terrorists etc that will be targeted. If you disagree with govt policy - you will be on that list.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

OPERATION SAFE CAMPUS TOTALS:

ARRESTS

•105 Felony arrests were mad
•199 Misdemeanor arrests were made
•Total of 304 arrests

WEAPONS SEIZED

•16 Handguns
•8 Rifles
•9 Shotguns

DRUGS SEIZED

•Over 67 grams of Crack Cocaine (2.39 ounces)
•Over 3,414 grams of marijuana (7.5 lbs)
•56 Xanax pills
•30 Hydrocodone pills
•5 Ecstasy pills

ASSETS SEIZED

•$22,735 in cash
•14 vehicles:

They didn't take very many weapons at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is the guy charged with 17 of the guns. Does he sound like the kind of guy who should have them?

10104698 01 ADRIAN TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description POSS FIREARM/COMMISSION OF FELONY

09119670 01 ADRIAN L TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description POSS COCAINE W/I MANUF/SELL/DEL

07708692 01 ADRIAN TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description VIOL OF SEAT BELT LAW OVER 18 YRS

07105905 01 ADRIAN TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description UNLAWFUL POSS WEAPON

06637362 01 ADRIAN TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description THEFT OF PROPERTY $500 OR LESS

05642910 01 ADRIAN L TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description DRIVING WHILE LICENSE S/R/C

05128035 01 ADRIAN TURNER
03/24/1983 B M
RNI # 350405 Offense Description MANUF/DEL/SELL/COCAINE

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

No, he doesn't. But he's also the sort that's going to get them irregardless of attempts to curtail possession of fire arms.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I doubt anyone in the history of the world has ever been so stupid as to suggest the location of the gun is more important than the location of the student in determining how far away the weapon used at the school will be located regarding school shootings involving students. Homes don't use guns in school shootings... students use guns. Or teachers... they could use guns. Duh? What am I missing here because I don't believe anyone could use such laughable logic. Its so contrived I surely must be missing something.

But my gut says these people are telling point blank lies they think the population will swallow because they hate the 2nd amendment and hate the right to self-defense, because they want the government protection rackets to have 100% of the power and the people to have 0% of the power.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join