It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Lions in upstate New York and Coywolves

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Recently

Mountain Lion aka Cougar Puma this was discovered in a town ( Massena ) near the reservation of ST Regis/Akwesasne there has not been any sightings of mountain lions around New York since the mid 1800s as the Mountain Lion Population was wiped out in the Adirondacks since then

www.watertowndailytimes.com...

3 years ago in St Regis Mohawk reservation this happened

here is something a few years back in my area that was still unknown what caused it in 2007 could it be A Mountain Lion or could it me a Pack Of Coy-wolves ?
a destruction of a Fender in St regis
www.cryptomundo.com...

here is the evidence the massena NY video ! of it !! www.youtube.com...

article and video on both page

bobbeckstead.com...

close up of the plaster of the foot print with c battery's to show size click on picture for the close up
www.watertowndailytimes.com...

a Mountain lion ( cougar ) near the border of Canada

there are strange things going on here in upstate NY while back they have discovered coyotes that are big as wolves and scientist claim they might be a hybrid coywolf < ( i have not heard anything yet in there sample findings )
blog.timesunion.com...

coy-wolf populating in the north region of new york ?

sciencetrio.wordpress.com...
indianapublicmedia.org...

nyfalls.com...

either humans are interfering their territory or they know something that we humans don't ?

Info from wiki of the Mountain Lion
en.wikipedia.org...

Info From Wiki of the Coy wolf
en.wikipedia.org...

I bringing this to ATS Attention as this is near my Location

[edit on 7-3-2010 by Wolfenz]
Spelling edit

fixed the picture of the plaster mold of the mountain lion paws

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well, from what I read in several of my brother in laws magazines, while I was house sitting a few weeks ago, the wolf population, supposedly, has only made it as far west as the Midwest in any great numbers.

What is weird though, is both my brother in law and I have seen them many years ago, say 10, in Wisconsin.

Yes, I know there are wild dogs and such. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. Just this last week I saw a pack of wolves cross the highway. I tried to get a picture but by the time I had gotten out my cam they had crossed into a swale and never left it. I stayed on the side of the highway for about 20 minutes to get a sight of them again but no luck. These were definitely wolves, not dogs.

Now puma, cougar, mountain lion (all the same animal, just different names I think) I have no clue about. I have not heard of them in this area at all.

Interesting topic, will pay attention to and contribute if I come across any info.

[edit on 3/7/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
we have quite a few coyotes/coy dogs, whatever you wanna call em here. you can hear them howling every other night or so in the countryside... all u need to do is step outside...

and yes im in upstate new york (finger lakes)

[edit on 7-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
we have quite a few coyotes/coy dogs, whatever you wanna call em here. you can hear them howling every other night or so in the countryside... all u need to do is step outside...

and yes im in upstate new york (finger lakes)

[edit on 7-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]

i understand your thinking

what i am im talking about is coy-wolfs hybrids bigger then the average coyote yes there is coyotes here in upstate NY I never said there wasn't but the one im talking about are almost 2times the size of a normal coyote and you live in the middle region of the state not upstate NY

it seem to me everyone thinks of upstate new york is everywhere else in the state besides NYC and Buffalo the location i am talking about is Near the Border of Canada well 5-10 min away from it
your location
www.footprintpress.com...

the location im talking about

maps.google.com...,+St.+Lawrence,+New+York&ll=44.927863,-74.891052&spn=1.314529,3.56781&z=9

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz
Are wolf-dogs bigger? I think there are hybrids that live in communities all over BC but I'm unsure if they're dog and coyote or dog-wolf hybrids.

These kinds of hybrids seem very intelligent yet capable of living among people despite their wild origins.

There's a labradoodle (Lab and poodle mix) living on my paren't street, He's bigger than a lab or a poodle, and has the funniest expression on his face when he greets people.

Seems weird- timid, sweet family lab mating with a fierce wolf, but it happens?

[edit on 7-3-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
reply to post by Wolfenz
Are wolf-dogs bigger? I think there are hybrids that live in communities all over BC but I'm unsure if they're dog and coyote or dog-wolf hybrids.

These kinds of hybrids seem very intelligent yet capable of living among people despite their wild origins.

There's a labradooodle (Lab and poodle mix) living on my paren't street, He's bigger than a lab or a poodle, and has the funniest expression on his face when he greets people.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by star in a jar]

the Wolf and Coyotes are very allot alike Coyote are more Fearless towards humans the Wolf avoids usually Human Contact unlike the Coyote

The Coy Wolf Hybrids are have the power strength like that of the wolf and fearless to human like the coyote and with this crossbreeding they been observed to hunt in packs and they scavenge also plus they are very fertile not sterile as some hybrids are UN-like the donkey/horse

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
There have been reputable mountain lion sightings throughout new england for the last 20 years. As for "coy/wolves", coyotes and wolves cannot interbreed.
The link to the track picture doesn't work. As for the missing fender there is one animal there that can do that - black bears.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

thank you endisnighe

let me know if you find more info

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
There have been reputable mountain lion sightings throughout new england for the last 20 years. As for "coy/wolves", coyotes and wolves cannot interbreed.
The link to the track picture doesn't work. As for the missing fender there is one animal there that can do that - black bears.

they shure can interbreed and be very fertile
here is the evidence !!!!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

there is more proof from Scientific American

www.scientificamerican.com...

i would not think Scientific American would lie about that

I have it where the website that has the plaster molds working now just click on the picture to make it bigger

as for the black bears they are not that common around the area i know this because im around that location they are around but rarely seen but on the reservation even rarer

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
here a snippit in case you did not notice from cryptomundo website ive posted

The Source www.cryptomundo.com...

the bottom paragraph of the Article say this

This [animal in question] would be likely a panther or smaller. Lots of stories lately up here of cougar(s) that may have been released in Adirondacks region from downstate owners. Numerous stories of lynx and bobcats also in regional newspapers, even of conflicts between two species, with bobcats winning most of contact, due to personality traits. I was speaking with a traditional chief up here and he said that he thought it may be a lynx, although sightings have been sparse for years.

but could a lynx cause the damage of a wheel well of a Lincoln town car ?
im not sure it could

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
mountain lions people seen in new york area

site claims this (big cat ) to be in New York ?
naturalplane.blogspot.com...

a interesting site of the eastern cougar
www.easterncougar.org...

the guy that did the plaster of the paw prints Urine samples and Hair

Lucas: More Than 70 Say They've Seen Mountain Lions (in and around massena NY area)
www.ogd.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

hostile much? i wouldnt know how big they are cause ive never seen em but i have seen tracks and they were quite large...

upstate ny is a common term refering to all of New york above NYC.... your region specifcally, as im sure you know, is referred to as the north country...

en.wikipedia.org...

Upstate New York is the region of New York State north of the core of the New York metropolitan area

i know my geography...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by Wolfenz

hostile much? i wouldnt know how big they are cause ive never seen em but i have seen tracks and they were quite large...

upstate ny is a common term refering to all of New york above NYC.... your region specifcally, as im sure you know, is referred to as the north country...

en.wikipedia.org...

Upstate New York is the region of New York State north of the core of the New York metropolitan area

i know my geography...

there are almost as big as a wolf that i can tell you i have seen them

and there not a coy dogs either we have those also around this region
for the most part

the most reason i can think of is why we have the Coy-Wolves & Coyotes population increase and the Mountain lion coming to the North Country aka UPPER STATE NY is that we have a very big population of deer here so big that they themselves are inbreeding and you can see the deformity's in the deer example in turned antlers is the most common any hunter in St Lawrence or Franklin county can say that

like i said to popular belief that upstate is other than NYC
I should say Upper State NY North Country is the legal term but saying it a different state you would have to explain constantly were your from

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

they shure can interbreed and be very fertile
here is the evidence !!!!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

there is more proof from Scientific American

www.scientificamerican.com...

i would not think Scientific American would lie about that

I have it where the website that has the plaster molds working now just click on the picture to make it bigger

as for the black bears they are not that common around the area i know this because im around that location they are around but rarely seen but on the reservation even rarer

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Wolfenz]

Thank you for the new information. I stand corrected. I was going on the information I knew from the 90's. I grew up in upstate new york on a farm and we frequently had to shoot dogs/coyotes that we attacking our cows. That was 30-40 years ago. My dad killed a black bear there back in the 70's but I don't know if their numbers have declined since then or not.
I had spoken with Paul Rezendes about the mountain lions in NE as I had seen one here in Virginia where I live now. As they say,,seeing is believing. I will definitely be interested to see more about the coywolves, this is a HUGE development. 99% of what you see in cryptomundo (and on ATS about cryptozoology) is bure BS and wild speculation. Please forgive me for making an assumption about the info you presented. Mea culpa.
Good job and a bump for your thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I will also give a bump to the thread.

But for another reason. Dogs really are wolves. They, over the years have been domesticated and than bread to bring out certain traits. This is by memory so certain components may be slightly different than what I said here.

Biology was my first love during high school. Growing up on a dairy farm I learned a lot about animal husbandry.

What I was speaking of earlier about wolves compared to dogs was that the US Land Management, has been over the years releasing captured wolves to certain states. Over time the wolves have been spreading quite rapidly, to a lot of ranchers and farmers chagrin.

As for what you were talking about in regards to the wheel well of the car, dogs inherently urinate on vehicles tires and wheel well areas. I seen it almost everyday with the milk truck that visited my farm growing up. The dogs on the different farms were spreading their scent, and each successive farm they went to, the next dog in the line would try to cover the scent of the past dog.

Now by what you said of the damage, some animal probably a wild one, instead of trying to cover the scent got angry and started tearing it up. Another normal action. You cannot tell what kind of animal it was just by the action though. I had seen my dogs do the same thing to mudflaps on the milk truck.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You may want to check this out. The Eastern Canadian Wolf/Coyote HYBRID is about 3/4 down the page. A very cool website for info on all wolf species by the way. They claim to have proven the hybridization through "exhaustive DNA testing".

hal..._macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/wolves.html

The link won't post correctly. It is hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/wolves.html

[edit on (3/8/10) by gnosis111]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I will also give a bump to the thread.

But for another reason. Dogs really are wolves. They, over the years have been domesticated and than bread to bring out certain traits. This is by memory so certain components may be slightly different than what I said here.

Biology was my first love during high school. Growing up on a dairy farm I learned a lot about animal husbandry.

What I was speaking of earlier about wolves compared to dogs was that the US Land Management, has been over the years releasing captured wolves to certain states. Over time the wolves have been spreading quite rapidly, to a lot of ranchers and farmers chagrin.

As for what you were talking about in regards to the wheel well of the car, dogs inherently urinate on vehicles tires and wheel well areas. I seen it almost everyday with the milk truck that visited my farm growing up. The dogs on the different farms were spreading their scent, and each successive farm they went to, the next dog in the line would try to cover the scent of the past dog.

Now by what you said of the damage, some animal probably a wild one, instead of trying to cover the scent got angry and started tearing it up. Another normal action. You cannot tell what kind of animal it was just by the action though. I had seen my dogs do the same thing to mudflaps on the milk truck.

info of the gray wolf for all that have little knowledge of wolves ( good Info)
en.wikipedia.org...

the biggest difference between a wolf and a dog is the teeth the wolf teeth are all slanted back ( better hold of there prey ) another identification is dewclaws a pure wolf does not have any if it has it is a sign that there is dog in there gene pool another is they have thick hair in the ears but a hybrid can look still like a pure wolf with just one o the 3 missing traits I myself had an argument until i noticed the dewclaws as there was not distinct noticeable trait of dog in the hybrid at all has to do with the percentage of how much

I had a 50/50 Hybrid i had to go through allot of red tape just to keep her and her teeth were slanted back ( like saw teeth best description i can give ) she was beautiful All Black with Golden eyes she looks identical in this picture i have found www.greensburgdailynews.com...
i had to move in town and a friend took her as he lived on the reservation

an later update on the site cryptomundo
from the blood and hair they found from the wheel well of the Lincoln town car was identified was a rabbit the big joke was it was a giant rabbit (thinking Monty Python holy grail) or Night of the Lepus

and they are still not sure what caused it ( haven't found anymore about it ) i have to ask some people to find out

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I Live in Upstate, and we have had a bunch of Mountain Lion sightings arround Albany near the Heldebergs. I live on 56 acres and have found mountain lion prints in the snow, along with wolves, the difference is that wolves claws are visible in the prints while mountain lions are not (they are feline). Im friends with all the local hunters and we generally swap stories, there have been multiple sightings. On a side note last summer I saw the strangest animal Ive ever seen. Ive killed coyotes, and seen pictures of mountain lions but could never id this animal. I walked out of my house saw this animal, froze went into the house to get my rifle (we have pets) and came back out and it was gone. I was less then 50 feet away from the animal, and got a great view. I knew it wasnt a lion because I didnt see the large tail, but the face looked like that of a Pit bull'ish thing, with a very large body like say a great dane or greyhound but more muscular. I tried to track it but lost it in some brush, I set up camera traps and scent lures but never got any pictures. Just thought id share that

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
from trackincats.com

www.trackincats.com...

i guess there is ALLOT sites in upstate ny and upper NY aka Northcountry and the whole upper region of the nation as it seems

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Pleased to see my state's wildlife reasserting itself finally. On a local level(southeast NY) I've seen the fox population take a noticeable up-tick in the last few years. I'd never seen a wild one once during my childhood, but in the last 5 years I've spotted them everywhere.

I wasnt aware that Mountain Lions had begun making a comeback, but it's great news. Hurray for indigenous predators!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join