It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Lions in upstate New York and Coywolves

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have a friend in Ripley, Ny and his neighbors livestock was being killed. He said he saw a large cat so He called the department in NY state that takes care of wild animals and they assured him that there were no mountain lions in New York. Well, His livestock was still getting mauled so he sat by with his rifle. He shot a cougar. It had a radio collar on it so he called the game department and told them that he had shot one of their cougars and they told him he was mistaken. So he told them that if they want their radio collar back they could come to his property to get it! lol.

I live in NW Penn. and I have heard of cougar relocation to help control the whitetail dear population, in both Pa and Ny. I think the govt doesn't want anybody to know about the cougars for fear of spreading panic amongst the population. After all these parts are prime area for hunting and fishing and a panic due to mountain lions would hinder people from hunting and fishing in these areas and that would mean less money for the economy. Where I live my county rakes in millions just from the steelhead fishing alone.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Giant rabbit attack
www.cryptomundo.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I can confirm these sightings with a few of my own stories. Without giving away too much about myself, I lived in the Adirondack Region for 2 years, and in that time I saw about 8 sightings of Cougars. Living, breathing Mountain Lions. Three of the eight times I saw Cougars they were so close to my car I could have stuck my hand out the window and touched them. Yes, they are there. No it's not a conspiracy. No I don't have pictures. This was at night. I'm living east of Buffalo right now, and there have been numerous reports of Coyotes invading towns, eating garbage, pets, etc. There have been Cougar sightings all along the PA border, where I'm originally from.

They are definitely there, and aren't some "tall tale."

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

I can appreciate your remarks in respects to this subject. We have a similiar situation in Ontario, just to your north.

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Ontario's Species at Risk Program

Species at Risk in Ontario (SARO) List

Eastern Cougar

Flowing through the info, led me to the last page, which is indicating all of these "Cats" being reported here in Southern Ontario are a direct result of Pet Owners releasing these into the Wild.

Well, thats got to be a lot of "Pet Owners" releasing pets, because I have seen Local Papers reporting "Shot" Cougars in the Creemore, (Creemore Ale) Ontario region.

Other Huntsmen (Ones who ride Horses, with the Howling Dogs tracking Foxes, normally, but whatever they end up 'sniffing' out), have had their dogs tree Cougars.

Trailriders (Horse Trails) have seen Cats there, (Creemore) running the Deer Feilds.

We have had reports of Cougars eating "Pets" , and a friend I work with, actually shot one which was Chasing After the Dog, which came home scratched and beaten. He did take the "Cat" to the Ministry to ask "WTF is this doing here"? He was told here was a bad bad Boy for shooting a protected animal by the MNR.

North of Toronto at the Islington Gun Club, there have been reports of Cougar tracks in the Range area. All around the area, we have people we know, or have actually seen these "Pet's" running around, and that doesn't take into consideration anything about third or fourth hand reports which would fall under the term of Hearsay.

Well, This was taken by a Game Camera in the Peterborough Area, which yes is deer habitat, so I guess they are spreading further and further.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29e73cd4a703.jpg[/atsimg]

Seems this "NON-Introduced Speices" is thriving in Ontario, yet as we can see above in the MNR Papers, the typical response is founded within the following mindset.

Cougars in northern Ontario are of unknown origin, but may have moved into the province from the west, or may represent remnants of the original population. Cougars in southern Ontario are considered to be escaped pets.

Nice. Protect something "Foreign" (Pets) to the Gene Pool, and yet deny involvement in the reintroduction of the spieces. Blame Manitoba. Blame Pet Owner's.

I guess that way, they absolve themselves of liability if a Cougar eats a Child or starts eating Neighbourhood Cats and Dogs.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Great thread, thanks for posting it.

This recently happened in Priddis, which is just outside of Calgary, Canada, a guy laid out a dead deer carcass and set up a motion camera, a big male cougar showed up and ate most of the carcass, the night night a female cougar and 4 cubs showed up to eat the "remnants"
(a fox also showed up on the camera before the male cougar)

www.calgarysun.com...

Cougars/Mountain Lions are not Cryptids here. It was pretty big news here though.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Mtn. lions are coming back here in Pa. also.

Funny thing is when hunters report these sightings to the Pa. game commission they act as though us hunters are crazy.Wonder why?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I live about an hour from Massena, and it would be of no surprise to me there are big cats in the area.

My grandfather lives out in the woods near here and he has seen big cats 2-3 times over the last 30 years in our area.

Ive seen wolfs here.

And im actually listening to coyotes right now as we speak. we have a big heard that hangs out behind our house in the meadows.

and yes its true wolfs and coydogs can interbreed. I cant say for 100% surity that I have seen one, but my grandfather did shoot a coyote once that was extremely large and was more than likely, one of the hybrids.

edit:
that video is great! what a beautiful creature.

I'll have to get my grandfathers trail cam pictures up, i know he has a pic of a big cat, although im not sure if it was a mt.lion/cougar or a bobcat which are spotted once in a while around here

[edit on 5/1/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
True story from just north of Syracuse. One Sunday morning about six years ago in the summer, I was on my deck having my coffee and a smoke. I caught movement in the woods and turned to watch a very large cat-like animal step over a very large birch tree that I had cut down the previous fall.

This birch log was easily 18-24 inches in diameter. The animal had a very long bushy tail and had streaks of grey and brown in its coat. It was quite graceful in its stride.

I was shocked and without a camera so I did the only thing I could think to do. I tried to track it. The only problem is it was a dry summer so the ground was hard - thus no tracks.

I stand by what I saw. My hunting buddies heard of a trail camera north of Oneida Lake that picked up a cougar at night. I never found that online though.

I've also seen wolf prints and droppings in the lower Adirondacks during bear season. Plenty of bobcat tracks as well. I took pictures of the wolf prints and compared them to our DEC guide and there is no doubt it's a wolf versus coyote.

[edit on 5/1/2010 by titian]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
thanks all ! from the last 6 post

Im so sorry i didn't respond sooner and thanks for looking

about a month since i relooked at this i thought it was a long gone thread but now i see people are noticing the Cougars and the Hybrid Coy wolfs around the state of ny and boarder states

here is the link for the resent of wolfs in upper North east US and Pennsylvania & Connecticut

timberwolfinformation.org...

about the Wolf in my Avatar ( Real Picture of him ) he was one of 3 the other 2 were Killed!
and he in which is called Mohawk is fond of humans a big flag that he was a pet or around humans at one time they are sacred on the Mohawk Community US and Canada

timberwolfinformation.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It is strange, but a Local (Barrie, Ontario Canada) T.V. Station had a piece on yesterday which actually had Ministry indications that we now do have Cougars within the Southern Ontario Region.

I found this was quite change, since the dismissive nature of thier previous comments seemed to always point to lost pets, apposed to Wild Cats.

There where also several mouth pieces which did direct attention to the Suburban Area Mini Zoo's and suggesting it is these "backyard" setups that either set free or loose these cats, and that it's not the type of things an owner would call the authorities about.

Another person, who is studing these cats was clear, he has DNA Evidence, Cat Scat Evidence, and Cat Print Evidence to support the premise these cats are here and actually quite plentiful, compared to 20 years ago.

He did not have any Photo's from Motion Cameras, as shown in my previous post here from Peterborough shown above, nor has he ever "seen" one, but he is certain they are here.

They are very "Shy" is his suggestion.

Sure, until they start eating the Neighbours pet terrier, or worst, Little 3 year old Timmy.

Anyways, I thought I should note we seem to have Ministry concluding the cats are here, regardless of Origin, so the next step is to place them on the Endangered List.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Mountain lions are likely, that doesn't surprise me.

Okay, get ready, Raven is going to put on her zoologist hat.

Coywolves are most certainly just a population of isolated coyotes with wolf-like traits. No, most people in the field do not believe that they are a hybrid. They don't need to be a hybrid to be wolfish.

I understand that this is a cryptozoology forum and that most of my posts here are skeptical, just because I do work in the subject and I know zoological explanations for things that aren't necessarily cryptozoological.

But I have heard from numerous experts regarding coywolves, and yes there are people doing their graduate research on analyses of specimens and not one of them have determined that they are from anything other than coyotes.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We've had this sort of thing going on in Michigan for many years now. Here is a link to an article I wrote in 2003 and had published in a small local tabloid and then published on my website in 2004.

bigprairieprepress.com...

Here is a quote from that article that helps explain why the government is hiding the truth.

"if a wolf or cougar kills livestock, its like pulling teeth to get the DNR to compensate you, that is if they will even admit your stock was killed by one of these predators. Denial has been the standard procedure employed by the DNR whenever increasing cougar sightings were reported"

Having written this article is what interested me in your post.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a bit fun here
Here for something completely different ! those coy wolfs could be

the WOLFEN!

Well at the 1.00 mark my favorite part of the movie
at the Bar listing to the legend of the Wolfen from NYC Mohawk Iron Workers

The Mohawk People sacred Animal Big 3 Wolf Bear Turtle of the Clans

and The Legends of Werewolf's or Should i say Manwolf Like Blood & chocolate..

ok ok im going to bed now ! watch the clip its pretty deep !

ohh watch part 14 if your are a wolf lover warning kinda Graphic for the faint heart 2.54 mark

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
There have been reputable mountain lion sightings throughout new england for the last 20 years. As for "coy/wolves", coyotes and wolves cannot interbreed.
The link to the track picture doesn't work. As for the missing fender there is one animal there that can do that - black bears.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Apparently they do mate sometimes. Many other reputable sites are saying this also. Could be a new thing, but if the female is in heat, and the male smells it, they get along, at least when it counts.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well Well! add some more info to my thread here !

A Glamorous Killer Returns
www.nytimes.com...

I guess Mountain Lion are Moving East here in Upstate New Your And Maine

It True It True theres Mountain Lions In NY!!
the same people a couple years ago said there were now they are say there is!! LOL!

New Study Favors Restoration of Cougars
www.adirondackalmanack.com...

Mountain lion filmed loose in NY
The big cat is out of the bag
bigcatrescue.org...

There is a documented video of a mountain lion in New York.

The Office of Homeland Security and the United States Border Patrol uses video-surveillance cameras to watch areas along the unmanned borders of this country. Recently, a cougar was recorded wandering through a field in northern New York.

News reports on Channel 5, WPTZ television in Plattsburgh, aired the footage of this big cat in upper Clinton County.

Not to far where where Im from!! and Near the Mohawk Akwesasne Reservation where there was many sites of them on the reservation ...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Cool reading all the links....the unknown cat with the dog face posted on page one.....they are everywhere.....perfect description, too!
flagggg

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

From what I heard about coy wolves, is that humans have messed up the habitat so coyotes are in places where they were not common before. Its actualy creating a problem for the wolf population. As for the mountain lions It's good to hear they are returning to their old range

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Awesome update! I think it's great these beautiful cats are reestablishing themselves in their former areas. Just 20 years ago the suggestion was laughed at that anyone would see one in the Eastern US aside from Florida.
As I mentioned earlier my ex and I saw one cross the road in front of the car - it was unmistakable with the small head, slouching belly, long J-shaped tail and their distinctive walk.

I would love to see another in wild as I've spent countless days in the woods hoping to find sign of their presence to no avail. These could always be released cats that people thought would make interesting "pets" which is such a stupid idea I find it hard to believe people could be so naïve.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

grey9438
reply to post by Wolfenz

From what I heard about coy wolves, is that humans have messed up the habitat so coyotes are in places where they were not common before. Its actualy creating a problem for the wolf population. As for the mountain lions It's good to hear they are returning to their old range

Coy Wolves are here in the North Country bigger then a regular Coyote and a tad smaller then a Gray Wolf..
They been see every where in the St Lawrence.. as for Cougars... story's been told by local farmers that their livestock Cows Pigs and Their Horses Have Claw Marks on their Hinds ends .. at first they thought Bob Cats but.. the claw mark were much bigger..

Here is a News Article from my Local County !!

Woman says puma mauled her horses
By MATTHEW CURATOLO
JOHNSON NEWSPAPERS
PUBLISHED: MONDAY, MARCH 15, 2010 AT 7:45 AM
www.watertowndailytimes.com...

RUSSELL — Rebecca M. Perry finds it hard to believe that a black bear savagely mauled her two horses at her Silver Hill Road home last summer.
In her mind, the culprit was a mountain lion, an animal that her neighbors swear they've seen while driving along County Route 27.
On Aug. 15, she awoke to find her two retired show horses, Red and Brownie, bleeding from a number of wounds after being attacked by an animal the night before.
"Both horses had multiple lacerations on their chest, legs and rumps," Mrs. Perry said.
She said Red's injuries were the worst, requiring up to 200 stitches to close gashes on his chest and back legs, where bone, tendon and an artery were visible in one gash. Brownie's injuries were superficial, she said.

Group: Cougars Roam The Adirondacks
PUBLISHED: SUNDAY, MARCH 21, 2010 AT 7:32 AM
UPDATED: SUNDAY, MARCH 21, 2010 AT 7:34 AM
ARTICLE OPTIONS
By MATTHEW CURATOLO

Canton woman claims she saw mountain lion, DEC says unlikely
By SUSAN MENDE
JOHNSON NEWSPAPERS
PUBLISHED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 23, 2011 AT 5:00 AM

CANTON — Dana M. Barry of Farmer Street no longer walks village streets alone after dark.
She said she believes she encountered an Eastern mountain lion while walking by herself on Mildon Road about 10 p.m. July 19. She wants to make others in the community aware.
“It was crossing the road in front of me. I froze in shock and it stopped when I did. It turned its neck and stared into my face,” Mrs. Barry said. “One leap and it could have been on top of me.”
The animal was about 15 feet away and directly under a streetlight that provided a clear view in the darkened night, she said, estimating that it weighed about 100 pounds.
Mrs. Barry, an educator at Clarkson University, Potsdam, said the animal had brown fur and a long tail. Bobcats have short tails.
“I didn’t do a DNA test, but it looked exactly like a mountain lion to me. It was right under the streetlight,” she said, noting that without her cell phone she couldn’t take a picture.

Here is a few books

The Quest for the Eastern Cougar: Extinction Or Survival?
By Robert Tougias
books.google.com...

The Eastern Cougar: Historic Accounts, Scientific Investigations, and New Evidence (Google eBook)
books.google.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by Wolfenz

Awesome update! I think it's great these beautiful cats are reestablishing themselves in their former areas. Just 20 years ago the suggestion was laughed at that anyone would see one in the Eastern US aside from Florida.
As I mentioned earlier my ex and I saw one cross the road in front of the car - it was unmistakable with the small head, slouching belly, long J-shaped tail and their distinctive walk.

I would love to see another in wild as I've spent countless days in the woods hoping to find sign of their presence to no avail. These could always be released cats that people thought would make interesting "pets" which is such a stupid idea I find it hard to believe people could be so naïve.

TY , Right Correct...

Cougars are unmistakable ...

Tho Cougars Avoid Humans unlike Coy Wolves... which is why they are hard to find to that they do exist here in the north Country of New York ..

Well here one caught on film in my area
tho the Kid is using the VHS Camera LOL and cant handle it it might as well be a Potato Camera...LOL

but if you notice the Tail and its movement!! and you may say it a Domestic small cat !! but towrds the end you will see its not ... When This Mystery Big Cat Goes into the Wood as you Can Estimate the Size of this Feline by the Trees!! in the Woods!!

Big Cat in Massena

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join