It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion the number 1 killer of all time?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

i dare anyone to name a major religion that has been around through
history who hasnt killed millions in the name of their religion

I'll give you two:

Buddhism

Shinto

does anyone remember the crusades? sure theres some
estimates on the death toll

Yes, I believe the estimate was around one and a quarter million. That's more than the half million or so who die every year from heart disease, but it's a relative drop in the bucket compared to the 55+ million from world war 2, for which I think it's fair to say that religion was not much of a factor.

if people spent half the time and intelligence on science as they do
defending religion, we would have conquered the universe by now

The role of religion in misery and death on this planet has been significant, but let's try to see things in context. For example, what if somebody argued that swords and guns were to blame for all the deaths in all the wars throughout history, so it's "technology" that's to blame? You can kind of see that angle, but it's really sort of missing the point. Similarly, blaming everthing on religion, while it does make sense from one perspective...is besides the point. Any excuse could be used to kill people. And religion is definitely one of humanity's favorite excuses for killing people.

But if we didn't want to kill each other, maybe we wouldn't need to look so hard for excuses.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djbj597922
Just posing a question. And I think it deserves some thought. Think of all the wars, murders, fights, etc in the name of and for religion. I don't know for sure but I would say it tops the list of most deadly things on this planet.

Please don't attack me for this thought. But you have to admit it does kinda make sense.

Humans kill humans...
...religious and political motives are just an excuse.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by djbj597922

No, evolution is the number one killer of all time. Look at how many predators are in the wild. Look at how many animals have to die because other animals have to eat them. Look at how many plants have died because something must eat them to survive.

Look at how many animals are raised on farms where their sole purpose is only be killed for food.

Look at how deadly parasites, bacteria, and viruses have become because they've evolved. All these things have killed millions and millions and billions and now human technology may have evolved to the point where we destroy the whole world with either a nuke, or we simply burn so many fossil fuels the entire eco system shuts down one day and we go extinct or even worse, every species goes extinct.

Sorry, but religion doesn't have anything on the very efficient death machine that is evolution. And worse, the death machine keeps evolving and getting BETTER AT IT! How many more drug resistant strains of bacteria will exist tomorrow that didn't exist today?

[edit on 8-2-2010 by tinfoilman]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
In regards to the title of this thread, Is religion the number 1 killer of all time

IMHO: No, the biggest killer of all time is the people that gain more and more power each day, the very people that stop at nothing to get what they want, the very people that are voted in to their positions of power by the 'double thinkers'.

The number one killer of all time is the intelligence of the people. The people that cannot differentiate between liberty and freedom.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I am sure its been said before, but no reason why it cant be said again.

Religion is a tool used by the elite to control those below them.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by djbj597922
Just posing a question. And I think it deserves some thought. Think of all the wars, murders, fights, etc in the name of and for religion. I don't know for sure but I would say it tops the list of most deadly things on this planet.

Please don't attack me for this thought. But you have to admit it does kinda make sense.

Is it religion?

Or is it the sword? Or the gun? Or the bomb?

Or is it people! Surely murders don't exist without PEOPLE.

Think why don't ya.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Dramey

i dare anyone to name a major religion that has been around through
history who hasnt killed millions in the name of their religion

I'll give you two:

Buddhism

Shinto

Oops Dramey, In the 14th century Buddhist fighters led the uprising that evicted the Mongols from China.Japanese Buddhist monks were known to have trained Samurai warriors in war meditation and other, less peaceful, skills. In 1942, during the period of Japanese aggression, Zen master Sawaki Kodo (1880–1965) wrote "It is just to punish those who disturb the public order."

In Sri Lanka the 20th century civil war between the Buddhist Sinhalese majority and the Hindu Tamil cost 50,000 lives.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The problem with your question is you could also be phrased as

Are guns the number one killer?

or

Are armies the number on killer?

None of them are the number one because ideas or mahinces do not kill people it it the use of these that kills people.

Think of the old "guns don't kill people, people kill people" just insert any weapon, idea, country ect there all the same as at the end of the day people are the number 1 killers of people.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Religion is as guilty of murder as a handgun is as guilty of murder.

Nuff said on this topic.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Nah...I'd say the biggest reason for murder throughout history is nationality/patriotism.

Humans are killer-apes and will always find a reason to kill other humans who are "different."

Religion is just another reason for humans to differentiate themselves from others.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by polychronopolis]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinni

Can you justify in the Bible where it says it is acceptable to kill and eat babies ?

Can you show me in the Bible where it shows that it is acceptable to kill 1.5 million people for oil?

Didn't Bush say that he is a Christian and God talks to him?

And my previous post is true. It is IGNORANT people that lead to chaos.

Ok so what? Your specific examples might not be in the bible but a lot of things just as bad are in it. It's like you havent even read it yet feel the need to talk about it like you have.

If you want to talk about ignorant people leading to chaos then the people you are mostly talking about are the religious.

It seems to me a bit odd to say God didnt tell Bush to invade Iraq when there are more than a few examples in the bible of God doing just that, supposedly, to other people.

If you can write off any one who says god told me this or that then you can write off religions as a whole as they all pretty much begin on this premise.

I have to agree with the OP. Everyone in this thread who disagrees, that I read so far, just arent thinking it completely through.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
Religion isn't the cause of wars, murder, genocide, ect.

Ignorant people looking for an excuse to gain power are the reason.

If you say that Religion is the #1 cause of wars, then you have to also agree that it is the #1 cause of hope, peace, joy, happiness, love, respect, friendship, community, and many other positive outcomes.

If the religious werent so easily whipped into a fervor then those looking for more power would have no armies.

Most people usually fight for 2 reasons god and country. The people doing the fighting arent usually the ones looking for more power. They are looking to prove their god and country more mighty than the other side.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Too simplistic. Number 1 killers: Fear, Ignorance, Intolerance. Religion may incorporate these but by no means has a monopoly on them.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No, but i think it runs a close second to money.

second line.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan

Too simplistic. Number 1 killers: Fear, Ignorance, Intolerance. Religion may incorporate these but by no means has a monopoly on them.

You basically just said religion is the #1 killer while trying to say it wasnt.

Religion = Fear, Ignorance, Intolerance

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I am sure its been said before, but no reason why it cant be said again.

Religion is a tool used by the elite to control those below them.

I've starred you, so i agree..but with 99.9% of what you say..i don't believe they do it to 'control those below them', but 'to control those they imagine are below them'.

One word can make a huge difference.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by polychronopolis
Nah...I'd say the biggest reason for murder throughout history is nationality/patriotism.

Humans are killer-apes and will always find a reason to kill other humans who are "different."

Religion is just another reason for humans to differentiate themselves from others.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by polychronopolis]

When you get right down to it most religious people think their religion is their country. Look at the US, a supposedly "xtian nation" direct from the mouths of xtians. I dont find it hard to believe that Muslims do the same thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The number 1 killer of humanity is death.

not a 1 liner.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Humans are not very good at killing each other when compared to nature.

The main killers in history have been infective agents (e.g. the flu of 1918 killed more people in one year than WW1 and WW2), poverty and famine. War is a bit player compared to this lot.

When we do kill each other a bit more effectively and systematically (i.e. a war) religion is rarely the reason. Can you think of a major religious war that took place since 1700, and that killed more than a few thousand people? I can’t. But I'm happy to be enlightened.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I don't think religion is THE #1 killer of all time, but it's up there.

Comparing the question of religion with an answer regarding diseases is,IMO, missing the point.

People here are talking about religion being the reason for so many deaths, and they also talk about ignorant people being the cause. Personally, I think closed minded, narrow viewing, ignorant people gravitate towards religion. The old birds of a feather analogy. Kind of like how all the not so intelligent geeks who never fit in with the rest of society in High School gravitate towards politics. So, of course ignorant people are the one's doing the most killings, and of course religions are the entity behind it all, because they are one in the same.

On a side note, I've been haunting these halls for over 3 years now and, by far, the most debatable topic that we have here at ATS is religion. And our motto? Deny Ingorance. Do the math.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join