It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion the number 1 killer of all time?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Just posing a question. And I think it deserves some thought. Think of all the wars, murders, fights, etc in the name of and for religion. I don't know for sure but I would say it tops the list of most deadly things on this planet.

Please don't attack me for this thought. But you have to admit it does kinda make sense.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by djbj597922

If someone goes and kills in the name of "djbj597922" does that mean "djbj597922" is to blame?

Don't be stupid.

P.S. Just in case you don't get it - no religion sanctions mindless murder and tyranny that we have today.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
No, but I believe it is one of the easiest mask to hide behind for your motives.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinni

If someone goes and kills in the name of "djbj597922" does that mean "djbj597922" is to blame?

Don't be stupid.

P.S. Just in case you don't get it - no religion sanctions mindless murder and tyranny that we have today.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Jinni]

No, but how many wars have there been because of religion, how many people have died because they are of a different faith then their murders? Deaths happen constantly because individuals use religion to hide behind the fact they are hurting other human beings.

I am not being stupid. Lots and lots and lots of people have died because of it. Thats not an assumption. That is fact. Being stupid would be comparing a user name to a religion that has caused so many to die.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Standing behind religion and using false reasons does not make the religion to blame.

The number one killer of all time are deviant human beings that lie about everything including religion.

So I disagree with you and you still haven't understood my post.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Standing behind religion and using false reasons does not make the religion to blame.

The number one killer of all time are deviant human beings that lie about everything including religion.

So I disagree with you and you still haven't understood my post.

I understand your post. I just think that pitting one religion against another (which is what happens when you say I am this religion or that religion) is bound to end up hurting someone. And yes some religions say violence is okay in the name of their god.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by djbj597922

Do you commonly accept people's excuses as fact?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Can you justify in the Bible where it says it is acceptable to kill and eat babies ?

Can you show me in the Bible where it shows that it is acceptable to kill 1.5 million people for oil?

Didn't Bush say that he is a Christian and God talks to him?

And my previous post is true. It is IGNORANT people that lead to chaos.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Apparently so, which is why I said Ignorant people cause chaos and that got censored as ill mannered.

Yeah right.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

No, but they think they are doing it for a reason. Guess what they think that reason is.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Can you justify in the Bible where it says it is acceptable to kill and eat babies ?

Can you show me in the Bible where it shows that it is acceptable to kill 1.5 million people for oil?

Didn't Bush say that he is a Christian and God talks to him?

And my previous post is true. It is IGNORANT people that lead to chaos.

What Bible are you taling about. There are so many different versions I have lost count. And which one is right?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

No most people have been killed by humanitys politics and urge for power. religion is usually just mixed in with it for a bit more flavour.

Basiclly, we should stop picking things to blame, and look inside ourselves to where it all begins, start from there.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by djbj597922

Greed and lust for power not religion. And it's now obvious you do take excuses as fact, thank you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In a way it is. Not spirituality, but what this Kyle Griffith calls Theocracy in its various stages:
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
summary:
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
He basically says Theocracy evolved from shamanism to TV and electronic control. Modern religions are mostly fourth stage. The second stage involved mass human sacrifices, like Baal in Phoenicia and the Aztect. We know little about that stage as there is no living representative. First stage is Shamanism but that is mostly benign. The fifth stage is electronic mind control which curiously resembles the mass sacrifice thing.
This guy has been a practicing psyching and spiritualist all hi life, so there is an obvious difference between the two. Extreme Islam is just as Theocratic as fundamentalist Christianity.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
of course religion is the number one killer

can anyone think of another one?

no

just look at whats happened already, extremists defending religion

its why so many have died over it, because the minute anyone questions religion, you have some extremist bashing you for not believing things the way they do

religion may have started off with good intentions, but those were thrown out the window long ago

every major war has either been about religion or oil since history has existed

the world would be much better off to believe in science then religion, and no i do not mean scientology

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

No most people have been killed by humanitys politics and urge for power. religion is usually just mixed in with it for a bit more flavour.

Because it is a powerful flavor that can get people to do just about anything for thier god. That is my point!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Is religion the number 1 killer of all time?

If you mean "has religion killed more people than everything else combined" then that could go either way. It's close. If you mean "is religion responsible for more deaths than any other single source," then yes, very likely.

This site combined with wikipedia give some excellent lists with numbers, but there are some issues.

According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, a total of roughly 248 million people have been "martyred." Meaning, "killed because of their faith." This beats the roughly 222 million listed on wikipedia from wars and conflicts, but comes in at less than the roughloy 290 million you get if you combine all wars and conflicts with famanes, and genocides. But...there are other causes of death not listed. Heart attacks, trafiic accidents, disease, etc. Getting an all-inclusive total would take some time.

However...as the first linked source points out, the "people martryed" figure only includes people killed for their religion...not for their lack of religion. So, if muslims kill hindus for being hindu, that gets counted. But if christians kill athiests for not being christian, that wasn't counted.

So the 248 million figure may be a bit low. Either way though, again, "greatest single cause of death" is very likely.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Nah bacteria and viruses got the hold down on that, but I'm sure religious persecution led to a lot of infections.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

No. That title would probably go to influenza or smallpox.

However, fanaticism - religious and otherwise - has been the #1 cause of murder and warfare.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join