It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion the number 1 killer of all time?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh the lying list of things 'to blame' is endless

Money
Greed
Lust
Envy
Revenge
Power

then

Guns
Crossbows
Lances
Spears
Knives
Ropes

but the common cause remains the same

The Number One Killer of All Time is PEOPLE

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by djbj597922

It shouldn't matter. And the fact you asked when you did says much.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Opinion causes us tp divide. Geographical location causes is to divide. Skin color causes us to divide preference causes us to divide. Are those things making us kill too?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
of course religion is the number one killer

can anyone think of another one?

no

just look at whats happened already, extremists defending religion

its why so many have died over it, because the minute anyone questions religion, you have some extremist bashing you for not believing things the way they do

religion may have started off with good intentions, but those were thrown out the window long ago

every major war has either been about religion or oil since history has existed

the world would be much better off to believe in science then religion, and no i do not mean scientology

I agree 100%. More people have be killed in the name of religion than any thing else. In the end religion will be the end of us all. Religion is no different than the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. You may get mad at me for saying that but it is the truth and the sooner every one wakes up and sees religion for what it is the better we all will be. It will not happen in my life time but it must happen one day or the human race is doomed.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It shouldn't matter. And the fact you asked when you did says much.

So you are just unwilling to admit that religion causes allot of deaths. What does that say? It says to me you are a really religious person who follows one certain faith. I have hit a never obviously with the faith you follow. The one thing I ask now is why is your faith right and all others wrong. I told you my perspective, why not tell me yours???

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

The Number One Killer of All Time is PEOPLE

Actually, that might or might not be the case. The number ranges are so big...so many death counts range up to double their minimum estimates...but if we take some of the high range estimates for disease listed previously in this thread, it's possible disease might have killled more people than people have.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Opinion causes us tp divide. Geographical location causes is to divide. Skin color causes us to divide preference causes us to divide. Are those things making us kill too?

YES, but joining one certain religion is like joining one certain sports team. You are bound to fight with other teams because your point of view differs. Not saying anything other than religion divides people like allot of things do. Don't get mad at me. I am just making an observation that can't be ignored.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by djbj597922]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

And now you attempt to character assasinate me for daring to argue. With unsubstanciated assumptions because I dare to argue against none the less.
As expected. Actually I'm not religious at all, and nor do I have any claimed "faith". I walk my own path. Sorry. I kust find it childish and silly that a concept is scapegoated for the actions of the humanity that created it. Don't worry I have no illusions you'll believe me.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Mad at you?
Don't worry. I'm more amused than anything else. Not that my emotional state should matter.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
"Is religion the number 1 killer of all time?"

well, as a logical statistician, I'll answer...even tho it appears most ignore the ole guy, at least recently...

the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone looked at the author of 'religion' recently? it is man's attempt to get to God right? II Cor 4:4 for those aware...any takers?

TLJC came to abolish religion....I dare u to ignore Him, it would not be wise....

seekers? Rom 3:23, 6:23, 10:9,10

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

And now you attempt to character assasinate me for daring to argue. With unsubstanciated assumptions because I dare to argue against none the less.
As expected. Actually I'm not religious at all, and nor do I have any claimed "faith". I walk my own path. Sorry. I kust find it childish and silly that a concept is scapegoated for the actions of the humanity that created it. Don't worry I have no illusions you'll believe me.

How did I assassinate your character??? So you find it childish that an idea has killed billions??? WOW! No matter what you say logic is not on your side. Logic says billions have been killed in religions name. It doesn't matter if its people or some other sentient life form. Killing for a reason is killing for a reason. You are trying to tell me that religion hasn't caused people to die? You will never achieve that feat my good friend. Because it has! And if your not religious, then why all the fuss???

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

If you can't beat them intentionally misintrepret them eh? I said you're attempting to character assasinate me for one. And you speak of logic? Why not actually use it then? Instead of intentionally misinterpreting statements to the point you think they are saying the opposite of what they blatantly say? Or attempting to use "poisoning the well" fallacy to defend your assertions? And while you are at it you can stop pretending a idea can force anyone to do anything they do not wish to do already.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by djbj597922
Just posing a question. And I think it deserves some thought. Think of all the wars, murders, fights, etc in the name of and for religion. I don't know for sure but I would say it tops the list of most deadly things on this planet.

Please don't attack me for this thought. But you have to admit it does kinda make sense.

I completely agree with you, it's the hierarchy of tribalism. people like to make excuses and straw man that it isn't. but they know deep down inside its true.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Religion is a convenient scapegoat, but wars and suffering would still exist without it.

Greed, power and control are probably the number one killers of all time.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

If you can't beat them intentionally misintrepret them eh? I said you're attempting to character assasinate me for one. And you speak of logic? Why not actually use it then? Instead of intentionally misinterpreting statements to the point you think they are saying the opposite of what they blatantly say? Or attempting to use "poisoning the well" fallacy to defend your assertions? And while you are at it you can stop pretending a idea can force anyone to do anything they do not wish to do already.

Misinterpret them??? So religion has not caused war or death?? Please. Even though you say you are not religious, you seem to be very protective of it. Poisoning the well with truth is not poisoning it at all. I will lay it all out my friend. I do not believe in any one religion. I think all religions are just another measure to keep everyone in check. How do you know which is the right one when there are so many. And the idea you have of an idea not being able to force someone to do something. LOL How many people have said the devil made me do it. How many people have killed because they said they were told too?? How many people have killed because their god told them something wasn't right??? How many people have killed in the name of their god????

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Here we go, more of the same misintrepretion now with context switching to boot.
I won't be repeating this time though. See as to how your not paying attention anyway. Well mostly not at least.
Anyways. Yes, yes, religion bad. Me must stop evil bad religion from making people do evil bad things.
We must make everyone be like us and no like evil bad religion.

Happy now?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Here we go, more of the same misintrepretion now with context switching to boot.
I won't be repeating this time though. See as to how your not paying attention anyway. Well mostly not at least.
Anyways. Yes, yes, religion bad. Me must stop evil bad religion from making people do evil bad things.
We must make everyone be like us and no like evil bad religion.

Happy now?

You could have just said you thought religion was bad in the first place! However I am just trying to make a point. Religion makes people hate other people more than anything else that I can think of. If thats not the case then please correct me!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
yes thats right everyone, its solely people who are all bad, religion has no part to play in it, guns are evil guns and religion are the same

religion has no part to play in the situation because we are all crazy lunatics

well guess what, religion is derived from crazy lunatics

according to science it wasnt god who wrote these words, it was people, human beings

humans are lunatics, so what they create is insane

religion is a product of humanity

humans and their blind belief in religion are the sole cause for the most deaths in the world

i dare anyone to name a major religion that has been around through history who hasnt killed millions in the name of their religion

i mean look at the religions we have heard of in the past that have barely any records left because some opposing religion burned, destroyed and killed everything related to the group

does anyone remember the crusades? sure theres some estimates on the death toll, but they have no clue

lately everyone bitching about avatar talking about how if adjusted for inflation and the times it hasnt have made any real money yet

the same can be said about the historical wars, consider how large a percentage of the population that was wiped out back then in the names of religions, if that same percent was wiped out now over religions, we'd lose a few billion real quick

but really everyone great arguments, everyones great talkers, you could all be obamas

but the facts cannot be denied no matter how butter like consistency your smoothness is in debating the subject

if people spent half the time and intelligence on science as they do defending religion, we would have conquered the universe by now

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I have. Exhaustively..........
Ever hear of sarcasm? I see no point but the ravings of someone wedded to his or her own distortef view.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The truth is always the truth. If it is, then it is. Not much to figure out. Death is death. War is war. Religion is ............. undefined!!!!! You ask one group its one thing, you ask another group its another thing. How do you know which one is right???

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join