It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you solve the unemployment crisis?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Enact a version of socialized health care for solo enterprise (meaning one guy freelancing) and abolish the self-employment tax.

Next, encourage people to freelance whatever skill they have and encourage companies and corporations to hire freelancers by offering companies some kind of break or incentive for outsourcing to freelancers (domestic USA only, no foreign outsourcing).

After these steps are taken, sit back and watch unemployed people employ themselves as freelancers.

You can earn more or less money according to the energy of your freelancing efforts. The quality of work would be high because every freelancer wants to keep his clients and attract more clients. Companies don't have to pay as much for benefit packages, vacation and sick time and so forth.

Win, win.

Abolishing the self-employment tax is the key to this. Ask anyone who has ever tried to freelance, the self-employment tax is the killer and it's why they gave up freelancing and sought another staff job with a company. It's very difficult to manage freelance income and cash flow while paying the IRS a huge chunk of your freelance income.

Abolish the draconian self-employment tax!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lkelly1965
The ideas here are amazing. I love the "tax the rich" one's, there is a novel idea. The rich are paying all the taxes now, the bottom 40% of wage earners don't pay any income tax at all.

My two sense.

WHAT! Oh really where you come up with that idea?
Gee last time I checked taxes get taken out of my checks, sales tax, land tax, gas tax, license and fee's for anything and everything, state tax, taxes on phones, gas, electric, on and on. Give me a break.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I would require that the whole world implement sustainable living practices and population control before I would even think about addressing the temporary economy. As it is now, our living practices are destroying ourselves and the planet. Short term economy IS NOT the most dire problem. Pick your poision.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Simple.

Stop importing EVERYTHING.

MADE IN THE USA - Or not at all.

Simple huh...

(*faints*)

There is some truth to it thought...

peace

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
After looking thru all the other recent posts, this topic is the only one I want to add to.

Good job OP..

I still think if we reduced our trade with China, mexico, and other countries where labor is cheap and the produced product is cheap, then just then perhaps America, can work on a reform.

Practically we have been living in a cheap economy for a little over a decade or two. I would say since the mid 90's it started. What I mean by this is the quality of goods is not as good as it once used to be, now I am not saying ALL things produced these days are cheapily made. I thank this to China, mainly, say your toaster breaks or your blender breaks, back in the 60's or 70's a blender was more then likely made from GE or whatever and it was expensive if it broke, but they rarely broke. Nowadays if your blender breaks you can goto wal mart and replace it with a 20 dollar other cheap one. Do you dig?

great.. Glad your with me..

I think In America, we need to investigate how we can be competative manufacturing products in America, If we can be part of this cheap economy, and slowly change the way it is with cheap products or moderately priced products and quality, we might be able to make stuff again..

Yet if we are going to open all our borders for trade then we have to deal with the fact that as long as we are trading with a country that can produce products cheap to Americans, Americans do not think about quality as much BECAUSE, when it breaks it can be replaced with just another cheap one from china.. So how can we be competitive?

I think NAFTA, is the culprit for the loss of many many jobs in America also.. Heck I think most jobs in America is service work. Service work is pretty sad for Americans. We should be making things..

Anyhow thanks for reading.. One of the best topics on ATS right now I think..

When it comes to making solar panels china has this sowed up also.. I am not buying into the great employment revival in the Green energy, got allot of hippy's excited but You need atheltic men and woman, doing this kind of work.. Manufacturing PV panels once again, America, will be competing with China..

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Start by rebuilding America's infastructure in EVER state. New sewer or renovated EVERYTHING. Sewers, telephone polls, pretty much anything you can think of needs work desperatley.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Good thread....I like your idea. If they're going to monitor this website anyway, we might as well give them something good to report back, eh?

Ok, so there are two things I would do:
1. Make it easier to start your own business
2. Make it easier to hire employees

Part of the reason why we are in so much trouble in this country is most people don't know where to go or how to start a 1 person business start up.

I personally think the government should make it easier. And I mean, really, really easy. I know right now, they fund the "small business administration" but that place is ridiculous. If a person wants to start their own business, after going to the SBA, they still have to go a million places to get things done. I've stopped by the SBA and you have to take 1/2 an hour to park, 1/2 and hour to find the right person to talk to, then you get a list of a million more places you have to go to get everything done, then you still don't get everthing you need...the SBA isn't much good for anything.

They should create a one-stop building for EVERYTHING, like you have at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Just like you go to DMV to pick up a book on how to drive, learn the proper laws associated with driving a car and a motorcycle, go back to take the test, take a picture, get your license....it should be the same way to start up a business, in my opinion. One stop shopping, one building, streamlined forms.

It would be called the Department of Small Business Start-Up...the DSBS.

So, this is how it works. Let's say you're out of a job, and you decide, hey, I'm tired of working for other people....I'm going to start a business on my own. You don't have a lot of money, but you have a great idea for a one-person small business that you think wouldn't cost that much money.

You walk into the DSBS and you pick up a booklet. You read it. You learn the very basics, such as:
1. How to keep track of money going in and going out.
2. How to develop a business plan.
2. How to pay your taxes at the end of the year.
3. How to start a business bank account
the VERY simplest things...

You go back to the DSBS, you say, ok, I'd like to take a test. They give you a test, to make sure that you know the very, very basics of running a business. If you pass it, you are awarded a NATIONAL BUSINESS LICENSE (which is only good for sole proprietorships), which is also your TAX ID (EIN) NUMBER. The two are combined into one.

(Why go through this process? Because in addition to getting a national business license that you can use in any state, you also learned the basics of running a sole proprietorship, and you also learned how to pay your taxes, so the IRS won't come after you later on. It protects you.)

When you pay your taxes every year, your NATIONAL BUSINESS ID is what you put on your individual state tax form for tax purposes. Whatever state you happen to live in, if you move to a new state, you just carry that number with you. It is like a social security number or an EIN number...it never changes....it follows you from state to state. You never have to register your sole proprietor business in each state.

Once you are ready to start up a one-person business, you are given:

ONE simple form to fill out.. You give this back to them with a fee. If you want to have several sole proprietorships under your own name, that's fine. Just file each one with a separate small fee.

If you stop running your sole proprietorship, you go into the DSBS and tell them, I'm no longer running my business. They say, ok, thansk for letting us know, we'll make a note of it, and you keep your business license and if you ever start up a new business in this state or any other state, just go to your nearest DSBS.

2. Ok, so what happens when the person wants to hire another person?

Right now, if a person running a business wants hire someone, it is a NIGHTMARE. You don't know what you need, you don't know what to do....you don't know how to pay taxes....so, most sole proprietorships simply DON'T hire other people.

Under this system, if you want to hire an employee, you go through the same steps you went through to learn how to open a business.....you go pick up a booklet for HOW TO HIRE AN EMPLOYEE. Learn the necessary steps, the federal laws on discrimination, etc.. and how and when to pay taxes, ...then after learing everything you need to know, you go back to the DSBS and say that you're ready to take the test to get an EMPLOYEE ADDENDUM.

You take the test, and if you pass, you are awarded an EMPLOYEE ADDENDUM NUMBER which is also YOUR EMPLOYER ID NUMBER. Now, the business owner understands what paperwork is needed and the laws regarding hiring employees and paying taxes (which just protected him), and the PAPERWORK FOR HIRING AN EMPLOYEE HAS JUST BEEN STREAMLINED. He/she can still operate under the rules of the SBSB with one employee.

3. Once the business grows to above 1 person plus 1 employee...then you have outgrown the SBSB. If you want to grow larger, then you have to do it on your own without the government's help, but you just leanred how to start a business, how to hire an employee, how to pay taxes.....so the government just created more jobs by making it easier for people to start their own business and to hire 1 employee. The government also served as a "business incubator", too.

4. How to fund this? Create a symbiotic business relationship with the national postal system, which is floundering right now. The government is currently closing down a lot of post offices in cities all over the country. So, use those closed down post offices as DSBS, and also put them in existing post offices around the country, too. That way, if you want to start up a business, you do it at the post office. Everyone knows where their nearest post office is.

By using the existing post offices and the post offices that closed down this year, we wouldn't have to build extra buildings, and the fees from the DSBS licenses go to support and prop up the post office.

The DSBS and the postal departmnt become a SYMBIOTIC business relationship. (In fact, I think we could create symbiotic business partnerships all over the government, to help save money...but that's another story.)

So, that's my idea. Right now, our country is in trouble, because nobody starts their own businesses anymore, because nobody knows how to start their own businesses, and when they do learn how, it's ridiculously difficult to hire an employee. Make it easier for small business to start up, and make it easier for them to hire employees.

-Nikiano

Edit to add: the SBA could be re-worked to take over the functions of the DSBS. Or, we could still call it the SBA, but we could call it the SBA-start up division. Basically, the SBA, in my mind, is pretty much good for nothing. Make the SBA actually functional and helpful, or dismantle it and use it to Fund the new DSBS.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by nikiano]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I would set up a bulldozing company and employ people to knock most of these buildings down.... maybe they would do that for free

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Obviously, this is a highly complex problem, but only because of the incredible inequalities. Therefore I would;

1.) Dissolve or restructure the fractional reserve and central bank systems to make them controllable by the sovereign nations they represent.

2.) FORGIVE ALL DEBTS, domestically and internationally

3.) Limit corporation size to reduce economic impact on failure

4.) Subsidize farmers and resource development in a more equitable to insure food production

5.) Make the shipping of jobs to overseas countries a criminal act equal to economic treason if done primarily to save a some money

6.) Use work plans for "welfare" but make sure that the amounts paid equal the value of the work to insure that no one is below the poverty line as long as they are willing to work

7.) Provide a constitution, similar to the United States that concentrates on the inalienable rights of people rather that the corruptable rights of governments and corporations.

8.) Enforce limits on all political positions

9.) Make lobbying a criminal act along with bribery and malfeasance

10.) I know a lot of people aren't going to like it, but enforce either zero or negative growth population expansion for 5 generations until we all become more socially responsible.

11.) Do not allow trading of pollution credits, rather enforce pollution controls per entity.

12.) Allow all of the free energy or highly efficient energy systems into the marketplace

13.) Have TOTAL transparency in government. Secrets provide a breeding ground for malfeasance and corruption.

14.) I am former military but, disband the military or limit it to some seriously minor percentage of the population (it is now actually) and create country based trained citizen militias (like Switzerland) that are in place for the defense, not offense, of a country.

15.) Disband the UN, they are parasites.

16.) Investigate, charge and take to trial all present politicians, international bankers, bureaucrats, lobbyists and any others who have brought us to the precipice of ruin and if found guilty, hang them and use them as fertilizer to grow found, at least they'd have some utility.

17.) Have a single "trading" international merchant class currency not tied to any singular country that allows all countries to buy, sell and equalize debt.

18.) LIMIT THE DEBT CEILING to 50% of the world GDP so this never happens again!

19.) Enforce the RULE OF LAW! When democracy fails it leaves a power vacuum and in most cases this leads first to anarchy and then a malevolent dictatorship, disenfranchised communist or a totalitarian state.

20.) Remove all monarchies and corporate/elitist oligarchies, forcibly if necessary as they are an aberration against the natural order.

21.) Remove the legislation that produces human chattel on the governments corporate books and replaces it with citizens or shareholders.

22.) Provide free government sponsored education, not indoctrination.

23.) Provide free government sponsored health care, without limits. If we can't take care of our own people and put greed aside, how human are we?

Just my thoughts...

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Obviously the way to recover the economy is to fire the government. End the FED, end the WAR, get out of the UN, close our foreign military bases. fire the CIA, stop throwing money around, get back to sound money, stop giving Foreign Aid to the bankers, because that's where the money ends up. First everyone in the country should read The Creature From Jekyll Island to understand the deceit of fractional banking. Even fiat money is not as bad.
Then arrest the Banking cabal for treason. If you leave them in place they will use their influence on our local police to throw us into fema camps.If you arrest the bankers and declare amnesty for credit card holders that would give a tremendous boost to the economy. That is too much to hope for, but at least whoever the accounts get turned over to will probable lower the interest rates and that will help the economy.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by m khan]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
1.) Make no mistake, Everyone PAYS taxes, in one form or another. Only the dead pay no taxes, but then one day some fresh harvard grad gonna come out with an idea to make the living pay tax on the piece of cemetry plot!

Whenever you buy a drink, you pay tax on it. The rich just passes their taxes onto the costing of that drink to the consumer, and such taxes pervades every thing humans touch. There never was a time during civilisation's advance that NO taxes were ever imposed.

A rose by any other name still smells just as nice, and so does taxes, only that it certainly smells like no rose, and may be a pain for money, but a necessary pain if we all are to evolve together as a nation. No taxes will mean no social spending, the poor and illiterate left to die.

2. ) Bosses always claim americans cannot compete against the cheaper foreign worker or want those jobs. It is an absolute lie. Everybody wants and needs a job, but if it cannot even pays for 3 meals a deal, who would want to do it?

The cheap labour overseas can, because their cost of living is lower, or the illegal worker in US can because he has no other needs and can simply live in pig stys.

Should american workers live in pig-stys, after their forefathers had invested so heavily for the growth of the nation, with funds and blood, so that the Corporations can earn their profits?

Remember too, when they claimed that hiring local workers will drive up the cost of products, as they will cost more, had anyone noticed that that the price of coke had remained the same, that steak still remain the same price, etc, even when these bosses had been hiring wetbacks or set up factories overseas? Shouldnt it be cheaper?

And if these arguments are justifiable to hire cheap labour, why not go to africa when you can get a worker at 30cts a day? Why stop at $1 a day? After all, if cheap labour is a right for Corporations and the biz owners, why not go the whole hog, or better yet, just enchained all humanity, feed them on corn, make them live with the animals for shelter?

In summary, the Corporations must take most of the responsibility for our economic woes today, due to their overwhelming greed. They must be made to realize their gravy train aint gonna go on forever, and then start to take social responsibility now to share and distribute their wealth equitably.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by crusaderiam

Notice I said INCOME tax! You may have taxes withheld, but if you don't make that much (I don't know the figure off hand) it is all returned to you.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The only way for the problems of this country/planet to be resolved is for "JC" to drop-kick this world into the sun. Truth and honesty have well-nigh vanished and even Lucifer himself never imagined it would get this evil. All your theories sound great and could work if applied but, there's just too much greed and corruption in pretty much all Gov/Private authorities. Maybe Archie Bunker would of been able to tell us better.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by ladyx

We already do that basically, think about who pays all the taxes in this country.

If you really want to know and understand who pay's for everything listen to this presentation.

Google Video Link

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

You know federal income taxes are actually illegal. The states never ratified the Constitutional amendment that makes them possible. They broke the law back then to impose income taxes on us. We have been ignoring law breaking by the Government for a long long time.The only reason we have an income tax is so we can pay the banking cabal the interest on the government debt. The debt was grown deliberately to give power to the banking cabal behind the FED. Our taxes used to just barely pay the interest on the debt, the government financed itself by driving the debt up further. Now with these huge increases in our national debt, we probably can't pay the interest any more,that is probably why the bailout, they wanted to get as much out of us as they can before they close the US of A down and declare us a feudalistic kingdom with us as their serfs. The whole thing was made possible by the FED. The FED was made possible, or actually profitable for the banking cabal, by the income tax, which is unconstitutional.Read the Creature From Jekyll Island. It is a shocker.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The state of the union/world is a disaster...no use bickering about how it started, who started it...

My thoughts...make brick and block (construction base material) absolutely free for one year with the contingency that all materials must be shown used or in use by a project (purchase it from the companys then get a rebate from the government immediately).
This would force a temporary yet highly productive time in America...everyone considering building something would lock in tomorrow verses push it off 10 years...even local and state governments would start repairing and renovating their areas...with massive construction everywhere comes massive employment, which means more toy money, more boats, more computer techs installing wires and such, etc...and once the construction projects taper off, the economy may be in such a upword boom that employment would be plentiful.

If you consider all the nonsense that we spend on trying to get things rolling, from bailouts, cash for whatevers, etc...seems this funding would be almost a drop in the bucket, but would help the small business and man on the street the moment it was enacted.

I think what you are proposing are "shovel ready" projects for the government to pay for with money borrowed from the FED, (that they make out of thin air and charge us interest on) This would give more power to the government and make more people dependant on let's face it a handout from the government. If we really want the economy to recover we need to get back to reality. The Federal Govt wants Oklahoma to build a new $480 mil jail that it doesn't need and can't afford to break the backs of the taxpayers and for no other reason. All of our government policies are for throwing money away. If the economy weren't based on a bubble, held together by the government it would adjust all by itself.The government is what is ruining our economy. And Nafta didn't help.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire

Oh my goodness.

Look, prostitution is insulting to women and men both. And if you legalize it there will be so many prostitutes it will be even more insulting as prices drop to rock bottom levels. You would see millions of two bit ho's flooding the market.

Heck, there might even be some freebies just for companionship.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

Prostitution is insulting, stripping is insulting, modelling is insulting, etc...its only insulting to people whom are insulted by it. I know a little old lady that says all...*all* hollywood actresses and entertainers whom ever showed up in anything less than full clothes = a whore. She found that career as insulting to women also.
Simply put, old society mindsets programmed what is and isnt insulting, and then pretend that human sexuality is some sort of new wild anomoly that pre-1960s, simply didn't exist

This is a decent song to consider when you think the world is now going out of control

1940s - early 60s, things were more behind the scenes..but before that, things were pretty wild, the roaring 20s, the 1800s where prostitution was about as common as fast food, etc...and during those times, when it was considered a legit business, they were protected and had standards.

As far as the cost devaluation due to too many and competition...erm, sure...I can goto the discount brothel...with the erm..discount women, but some things simply require spending the few extra bucks for quality. Also, the key is regulation. If there are only allowed a few places in any given town, the price gets pretty locked...there are areas that you dont cut corners on, and this is one of them. The stigma will keep many away from the trade, and will keep the ones that were going to do it anyhow clean and taxed.

The final point you made about girls giving away freebies just for company...yes, we call them girlfriends (surely you dont oppose men having girlfriends)

one note...I have never been with a prostitute/escort, never paid a cent (unless you count marriage, in which case I paid ungodly amounts for someone whom could go on strike should I say the wrong thing
) however, I have no issue against it beyond the fact that its unregulated and therefore exceptionally risky, even with all the precautions. I did however do a preliminary website for a escort company long ago and so got to know the girls, managment, the procedures, their loopholes and all that. Fascinating stuff.

I am simply saying that its happening already, it always has happened, and it always will happen...just stop the pretending, legalize it offically, tax it, and put in offical standards for sanitation...its a win/win. If your husband/boyfriend/wife/girlfriend is going to get a escort...they will get one, legal or not.

I certainly dont want to be a spokesperson for this though. just saying the arguements against legalization are 100% nonsense. its all benefits, no negatives. get over the hypocracy and stop telling people what they should and shouldn't be ashamed of with their own body and life.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here's what I'm doing:I am building a factory.No one is actually helping my efforts,this is single handed.My trade is Blacksmith.I make the tools others use.I can use any fuel any old crap to make useful items.It's amazing and actually a fair paying endeavor."By Hammer and Hand all arts do stand."

My goal is to teach others how to do it so it doesn't die out as almost happened in the early 1900's.Judging by the Anvil costs on ebay,there are plenty of others doing likewise.Might be old school but by no means is this obsolete.Hand tools rule.But ya hafta know how to sharpen.Knowledge of sharpening is real power.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
A true leader would have a difficult decision and process to pursue. It may be nearly impossible to be successful because of the degree of infiltration of spies/informants in the secret services. But suppose...

At the bilberger meeting blow it up.

At the same time bomb the Vatican and Jesuit HQ and London.

At the same time, take out the committee of 300 including the Rothschild, Rockefeller and Black Nobility families, the blue blood royals and heads of the known 13 bloodline families.

Release repressed technologies immediately including health, energy, etc..

Identify Devil worshipers and take them into custody for prosecution. This means addressing missing person, slavery, pedophilia, etc..

Convert organizations like the FBI to advisory services to the state.

Return the states to autority over the fed. Abolish the fed as a corporation.

Take out members of the CFR and all known Travistock think tanks and infiltrators.

Arrest high ranking military traitors.

Go on national TV and explain the real situation to the people.

Give everyone a 50,000 per year, untaxable, unencomberable, cost of living adjusted, free income, every year for life.

Gather as many of the known traitors, including Supreme Court Judges, congress members and state judges, into custody and prosecution.

Declare and immediately abolish the IRS and the Federal reserve, and the resume the printing of Silver Certificates.

End all drug wars and legalize all drugs. A percent of drug sales goes to the rehab fund.

Reclaim the air waves with free local broadcast channels producing only wholesome content, no perversity. No degrading of the society in the guise of freedom.

Eliminate/abolish any advertising or promotion of pornography or elicit drugs.

Declare the National Debt a complete fraud and cancel it.

Force 100% transparency of ownership of all corporations and trusts which including identifying where an investor lives and outlaw all proxies.

All taxation is abolished except against corporations (including government corporations), endowments, trusts and the like. Full CAFR disclosures by all government investors.

Foreign corporations pay 2x the tax rate of national corporations and taxes are based on gross sales not net. No foreign investment in uSA corporations.

Require all stock purchases to be non-transferable sell-able for 5 years. No speculative sales. No corporation can be bought and dismantled for 5-years after investment. No investor in a corporation can be an investor in a competitor corporation (no conflicts of interests). No proxy voting within corporations.

Free and legitimate education for all including mandatory and accurate education on the constitution, the true nature of a republic and common law from grade school.

Abolishment of the "United States Citizen" and return to state citizenship only.

Remove all illegal aliens including their children born in the US with a birth certificate for the child that will give them the option to return @21.

Abolish land speculation and return as much land to public trust and distributed to people as an unencumbered perpetual family trust subject to usage.

Tarrifs on all imports is mandatory and equivalent to 2x the cost of the domestic product.

Release all false law "criminals" from incarceration.

It's a short list, but it's a start.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I would set up a bulldozing company and employ people to knock most of these buildings down.... maybe they would do that for free

Actually your on the right path. Self sustaining earth type homes that need virtually no heat or air conditioning are key.

Our current stick built homes are huge energy wasters. A well built earth home keeps a steady temperature of about 68 degrees year round.

Just think of how many this would employee, when everything needs to be rebuilt.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join