It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama High Speed Trains - Boondoggle !!! Fox News Scoop!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Others have brought it up, so I will wade in on that aspect.

Who actually will use the trains? People right? How is that going to solve any problems of the supposed infrastructure problems.

How is this going to solve moving materials?

I get it, we pack more sardines into the ever growing metropolitan areas. Then they can go to work 100's of miles away.

Next question, we are going to be 150 million more people in just 40 years?

Do you think they have any plans on stopping the influx of millions of more immigrants? She just answered that question. They plan on flooding the US with immigrants. Open the gates.

The American People do not matter. The number one issue today is the economy. Ever expansion of the consumer is always their agenda-Corps. The government does not care about the individual, they care about the Corp's consumer base.

Why is it that everything always comes back to the immigration problem? It has been their plan all along.

Do some research on the population boom over the last 30-40 years and it will tell you EXACTLY what all of the problems stem from.

G'day.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
People who get their news from Fox are naive and often ignorant.

High speed trains?!! In Florida??!!! And this will help us HOW???
Your aviator represents your NWO shill attitude.

FOX News ratings up 60% over all other news sources.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yes, it is a scam. Stuff like this happens all the time. I won't even go into the questions of where do the trains go, how do people get to the trains, where do people park, how much does it cost to park, how do you reach your destination after you get off the train, how much do taxis cost???? It is all a money pit.

In my city there is a six lane highway with an all girls college on one side and a youth prison on the other side. Years ago the youth prison was shut down. Then millions of tax dollars were spent to build a really fancy foot bridge across this wide highway going from the college to a now empty field. Needless to say nobody is getting much use out of this pork barrel project except the bridge builders and.... you guessed it.... whoever bought the empty field where the youth prison used to be. It has been years now and nothing has been built in the field, but I bet just as soon as everybody forgets and the economy gets better then a developer will build an expensive apartment complex so that the rich girls can live there and walk to school. It is a scam. It is all rigged from inside by politicians and wealthy contractors.

The train thing... the same. Trains don't mesh with our automobile culture.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Fox News Business should give Stuart Varney a pay raise.
He was the perfect journalist to interview that smartypants
Petra Todorovich. Check out the donors on her webpage.
- America 2050.org -

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I predict terror. If this is really a good idea for America, and our enemies are monitoring our broadcasts, then our enemies will no doubt want to attack our high speed rail. So I predict Osama will send panty bombers to the train yard. Or hot Muslim chicks packed with gobs of explosive. Or whatever it takes, maybe a grandma Muslim with sagging breasts of explosive. Carry on.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by skunknuts

Watch the graphics and listen to whoosh bang sound effects. It's like Saturday morning cartoons for retards and children. Great looking women on there though; big legs, big lips and short dresses. Who cares about news and opinion!

ATS is the place for news!!!

You are not far off bud, I had a friend who worked on the Sound design, they intended it to be related to NASCAR and FOOTBALL sonically. They also reference GAME SHOWS
and action movies. My friend said they have a couple people who coordinate the Psychology... said supervisor was allegedly ex CIA knowledgeable in profiling and obsessed with the art of war (the book). Same with the cross narrative of shows, the Pundents HAVE TOO stick to a basic focus on any given day, the writers (also supervised by a psychologist super) direct the over all narrative and design the general
INTERPRETATION of facts presented each day.

BTW the woman, dead on too, MIS AMERICA and cheerleaders, after a political evaluation, they pick the bints on looks first, then voice, teeth...

Seems this is the magic of FOX, they are good, retarded children

Got one part of that right

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

The environmentalists will throw up so many road blocks nothing
will ever get built. However, the states that participate will have
plenty of money to accidentally spend on other things.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If a Republican thought of this idea, it would be lauded by FOX News as "Fiscally Responsible" and "Financially Prudent".

Here's a question for you all, how much does it cost you a month to get to work in your car?

Factor in, Gas, Insurance, Licence, Plates, Maintenance.

It costs me $66.00 (for a job I work 20 miles away from home 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.)

I would call that fiscally responsible, and it's thanks to public transportation. Oh, that's right, the Right finds anyone poor unworthy of anything because the poor are lazy and worthless.

It's funny how the Right wing thinks, they are all for opportunity, that is of course, if you can afford that opportunity, if you can't, well the attitude is STFU and GTFO.

If I could hop a high speed train, that would further my options for employment, option increases my opportunity to find better work, thus improving my situation. But the Right doesn't think I deserve that opportunity, why? Because I am poor?

The Fox news commentators had no facts to back up their side of the argument, they just used fear and assumption to trample this argument. But typically that is what FOX News is about, Fear and Assumption.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

This is like "Light Rail" 2.0.
Nobody will ride it but more importantly it will give us a chance
to get some free money! - Boondoggle -

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Man its an awesome progression to watch people here go from discussion to just out right rancid and venomous hate....so much for deny ignorance as both sides have amply shown that you carry enough ignorance for the whole.

Magically the topic about the trains went to hating Fox News. You guys are classic and I know if I were a politician I would sit on this site and laugh all day long as how idiotic you guys are.

The first person to come out....came out firing about getting the information from Fox and thus it must be ignorant. The second person comes out....and begins the attack of the person based on were the information was gathered.....then like good little robots the likely suspects show up to gang up and defend and put down anyone that dares watch Fox News.....(Mind you, this came from Fox News Business and not the variety show that is Fox News).

Funny cause it is this ilk here that claims we need to enlighten ourselves and blah blah blah but then revert back to Neanderthal-ism and grunt about the source and not even the substance....grow up

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Whatukno I believe this to be correct in a sense except I believe the business side of Fox would have made the same analysis.

This is classic Government intervention into a market place that Americans have no vast desire to have. Case in point is in Los Angeles. Yes people ride the rail system there but still the overwhelming people would rather drive their cars. Since Government keeps regulating cars down to what labels must remain in 'your' property, they wish to also regulate how you will travel. So much for personal choice.

Amtrak is a disaster, so what make you think this will be any different? Id still rather pay an extra 100 bucks to get on a plane that will always be faster than any high speed rail system.

We should improve the infrastructure we have, not create more that people wont use. Its a money-pit at best.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Good point. They are talking about putting a high speed train
from LA to San Francisco.
How much to fly Southwest Airlines for the same trip?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Another two connection points is LA to Vegas. LA is the major starting point of nearly 80% of tourist in Las Vegas. They do the drive as to have their vehicles with them and do not want to rely solely upon a taxi, bus and/or rental cars.

If people think this is about job opportunity they are sorely wrong. Who looks for a job 250+ miles away from home? Why not just move to that area.

Given all that, I do wish rather than the expansive highway system we have we had better rail, but like I said....lets focus on current infrastructure. Highways and Airports is how Americans like to travel. The government is just sticking its nose into the personal choices of Americans because they believe they know best.

People that want better public transportation generally move to areas that have it. Boston, New York, etc. People that live and work in Los Angeles know what they are getting into and choice willfully to do so.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

If people think this is about job opportunity they are sorely wrong. Who looks for a job 250+ miles away from home? Why not just move to that area.

People commute long distances in Texas quite often now days. With the tight job market people are having to go where they can find work, but at the same time they can't sell their current homes. Which means either a long daily commute or renting a place in addition to paying their mortgage.

A high speed rail would allow easy travel between the cities of Houston, Austin, and Dallas. There has been a some talk of building a rail here, but there has been a lot of resistance from various special interest groups and the nimbys.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Yes, I know, FOX News said that exactly, you don't actually have to be a parrot. It is ok to think for yourself. This whole thread you have been regurgitating talking points from the video. We get it, the left suggested it, so the right thinks it's bad. Point taken, if you might bring some facts to the discussion, it might help your case a bit more. But speculation, and fear, doesn't really work. The environmentalist BS is pure gold though.

reply to post by ownbestenemy

This is classic Government intervention into a market place that Americans have no vast desire to have. Case in point is in Los Angeles. Yes people ride the rail system there but still the overwhelming people would rather drive their cars. Since Government keeps regulating cars down to what labels must remain in 'your' property, they wish to also regulate how you will travel. So much for personal choice.

Sure, people do have the proclivity to drive. The huge brown cloud around LA is a perfect example of how well that is working out. I understand that we Americans have a love affair with the automobile and its place in our lives is not going anywhere. But this is an option. Options and choices are good things. Introducing high speed rail doesn't mean people are going to be forced by the government to use it. But it would be nice to know it's there. Imagine if you will, you live outside of LA, your car for some reason breaks down, but fortunately you know that you are a few blocks away from the light rail, would you use it? Knowing you could get to work thus make money to fix your car. It's an option.

Now, heres a thought, high speed trains in Florida. Hurricane season, people are trying to get out of the path of a devastating storm. They could be stuck for hours on the highways, like this...

Or some could be aboard trains heading north that don't have to stop. Thus eliminating that many cars from the road, easing congestion, and allowing people to get out of harms way.

Amtrak is a disaster, so what make you think this will be any different? Id still rather pay an extra 100 bucks to get on a plane that will always be faster than any high speed rail system.

All well and good until you are added to the "No Fly" list. Or if you believe the right wing fear campaign that every flight has a terrorist aboard.

We should improve the infrastructure we have, not create more that people wont use. Its a money-pit at best.

This is something that is going to be needed especially down the road. If we are to believe the population estimates presented by Endisnighe, then we are going to need an alternative.

If we put it in now, then that is savings over the long term when we will eventually have to be forced to put it in. This is long term thought, this is a plan for America's future.

Just because the left proposes something, doesn't automatically make it a bad idea, just because the left suggests something doesn't make it a power grab by big government. I know, I know, FOX News and their little parrots here at ATS would love for you to believe that every single thing the left does is an affront to our liberties. It's a nice play on their part to make you afraid of the left. Frankly it's the only thing that the Right has, they don't have a plan to fix this country or economy, so they fall back on the only thing they do have, fear of the left.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Nice pic of an accident on the highway.

See how both lanes are shut down?
California will just use the money to pay down the bonds.
- boondoggle - farce - redistribution of money - slush fund
scam

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

California will just use the money to pay down the bonds.

Prove it.

- boondoggle

Prove it.

- farce

Prove it.

- redistribution of money

Prove it.

- slush fund

Prove it.

scam

and Prove it.

All you said right there was mentioned on the video. None of it was proven by quantifiable data. It was all fear and smear. The left is suggesting specific ways to create jobs, improve the infrastructure of this country, and give opportunity for people to find better employment elsewhere if the place they live in does not have the jobs that they need.

It's a system that this country is going to eventually need anyway. Eventually a system of mass public transportation is going to have to be implemented in each city, and to connect each city. Cars are fine, no problems with people owning cars, I won't suggest that anyone give up their car. Just saying that this is a viable economical feasible alternative.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

The only problem with what you stated is that its going to take YEARS to get yet another transportation infrastructure in place. Codes, environmentalist groups, working with existing rail lines and freight companies to get more increased light rail traffic that could possibly result from a high-speed rail system, and not to mention the tons of additional eminent domain requests.

It takes years for a city to expand a major thoroughfare, this will be no different. So we cannot equate it to the current situation in regards to a tight job market and what people would do years from now. Clairvoyance in politics rarely ever works. The intentions are noble and sound nice, but the law of unintended consequences will rule the day on this one.

I am not wholly opposed by it, and I respect a grand vision by saying we should have a nation-wide high-speed rail system. I just have concerns...where is the funding coming from? What if a city/state doesn't care to have it come through? Should the Federal Government be able to strong arm a State in the way that they do now via the National Highway Act? Are cities and states going to foot the bill for yet another grandiose Federal proclamation? Should this even be an undertaking of the Federal Government?

I don't get it....call for a spending freeze on discretionary spending yet propose such a system as this? This is the very type of discretionary spending we shouldn't be partaking in at this time.

These are just a few of the questions that come to mind in the undertaking of such an idea and I am not sure one of you here have even given a deeper thought other than calling the Right names and saying its a good idea.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
The left is suggesting specific ways to create jobs, improve the infrastructure of this country, and give opportunity for people to find better employment elsewhere if the place they live in does not have the jobs that they need.

It's a system that this country is going to eventually need anyway. Eventually a system of mass public transportation is going to have to be implemented in each city, and to connect each city. Cars are fine, no problems with people owning cars, I won't suggest that anyone give up their car. Just saying that this is a viable economical feasible alternative.

Viable economical alternatives arise via free market choices not by an all knowing Federal Government. It is not the job of the Government to provide the means to help people find places of employment. I know this is where our roads part different ways and that is fine, but seriously you want a highly incompetent bureaucracy to be the sole bringer of jobs? Do you want them to also make sure you have money to buy the train ticket? Maybe the government could also provide you a per diem because you have chosen to obtain employment over vast distances.

As I see it now:
Ridership in the beginning will be INSANELY low and thus there is yet another chance for a government subsidy program. The subsidy will either be directly to the 'company' that runs the high-speed rail or in some stupid lie of a 'tax credit'. (Thus another addition to our already impossible tax code). Then, ridership will go up a bit and possibly to a modest amount, but the subsidies and/or tax credits will never go away thus creating yet another pit for government to drop tax dollars into with no regard to honest administration.

That isn't a viable alternative when the government basically 'bribes' you via tax credits. Granted it is speculation, but you also have dabbled in speculation that the idea would be a great hit and that we will eventually need it

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
To those who say airplanes are faster, I've heard people say the train from San Francisco to LA would take 1.5 hours. If I'm going to fly, I have to arrive at least an HOUR early and go through metal detectors, pick up a boarding pass, etc. At some airports, they suggest you arrive two hours early. Plus there's the time of the flight (over an hour for even the shortest flights). Then there's all that time waiting for the plane to get to a gate, waiting for a walkway to come come out, waiting for them to open the door and let you out, time waiting for your checked baggage to come out, etc. When you go on a train, you buy your ticket, carry on all your bags, and when you get there, you carry off your bags. Your trip is over. You're there. You have everything you felt you needed to take. If I can get a on a high-speed train and be in Las Vegas in a couple hours for less the price of a flight, that sounds good to me. If I can go to San Francisco in an hour and eat at Fisherman's Warf, that sounds good to me. The world suddenly becomes a little smaller. I don't have to pack and make a big trip to have a good time. Trains will be faster than planes. They will make it affordable and fast to go to destinations that used to be considered vacation destinations. When your trip is that short, there's no need to stay at the vacation destinations. You can be back home in your own bed the same night. I've used trains. I will definitely use high-speed rail. I look forward to a train going from LA to Vegas. If you think such a rail would be bad for Vegas, you're kidding yourselves. Casinos in Vegas aren't making money on the rooms. You can stay for $15/night. Have you heard about the bed bugs? As for ridership, if the trains are really fast and the price of a ticket is reasonable, there will be no shortage of riders. As for government subsidies, there's no way to do this without the government subsidizing it. If they pass all the expenses on to the customers, no one will be able to afford a ticket. If the ticket is more expensive than the plane, people will take the plane, even though the plane takes longer.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by ivorywire]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join