It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeOnYou

Well you are not that bad if you can freely talk about it.I personally think some of these mental issues are caused by the chemicals we put in our bodies whether we know it or not.

I think that is the biggest conspiracy that is covered up by TPTB.

I think all of us are impacted by some one with issues if it is not the person looking back at you in the mirror or the person you wake up beside.

The first step in dealing with it is acknowledging it.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

yes i agree with you to some extent.
the body is an electro-chemical biological computer, and with all the unnecessary chemicals put in foods and drinks these day who knows what effects it cause and what ways it alters us or our minds or mood patterns.

[edit on 30/12/2009 by EyeOnYou]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well, I have both Borderline Personality and Bi-Polar disorder. So, yeah, I know how you feel.

It's a pretty cold feeling. My relatives never were close, but my friends are distant now as well. It's nothing new to me though, really. There always has been a disconnect between others and myself. Like I told one friend of mine, "Different song, same damned tune."

[edit on 24-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

how old were you when you were diagnosed?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyeOnYou
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

the valium helped me when i was getting really nervous, paranoid and/or scared.
it just kinda mellowed me out and made me not really care, but i stopped taking it cos i wanted to limit the amount of meds i was taking.
your right, people react differently to meds.

Well that's good that it at least helped for you and better that you are trying to limit the amount of medication you are taking. Though are you better or worse off now after getting off it?

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I was diagnosed borderline when I was thirty. I just recently got diagnosed bi-polar. I take Depakote now. I've been fighting mental illness for years though, probably since I was 15-16 years old.

Things got bad about four months ago. I got to the point where I'd go three days without sleeping, couldn't eat,homicidal/suicidal thoughts, rapid speech, et cetera. I couldn't handle it anymore. So, I went to the Burke Center and got help.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

when i first stopped taking valium it made me worse, because it is physically addictive, but once i cracked it i felt better.
ultimately the less meds im on the better im gonna feel but i will still take the ones that i need to take untill im better, but there isnt really a cure for what i have but ive been told the symptoms go away with age.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

I got to the point where I'd go three days without sleeping, couldn't eat,homicidal/suicidal thoughts, rapid speech, et cetera. I couldn't handle it anymore.

i know only too well how that feels my friend.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

i got diagnosed when i was 21, im only 22 now.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

the thing that got me most though was that all the strange behaviour id been exibiting before my diagnosis no one really made anything of it, but as soon as they said i was "mentally ill" everyone changed, it was so weird man i cant explain it.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

when i first stopped taking valium it made me worse, because it is physically addictive, but once i cracked it i felt better.
ultimately the less meds im on the better im gonna feel but i will still take the ones that i need to take untill im better, but there isnt really a cure for what i have but ive been told the symptoms go away with age.

Ah, that's good to hear ( about getting past that addictive part ). Hopefully they will be going away as you grow older, by then maybe one or two max will hopefully be the things you have to take. I wish you good luck in the years to come then

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I was hospitalized at ten and many times after...only now at twenty-four am I stable. I have severe depression,anxiety,panic disorder and was at one time diagnosed with OCD. I take wellbutrin and zoloft. You are not alone friend and it is not the end. No stigma will stick if you have good, honest people in you're life. There are full blown schizophrenics who function in professional practices. Some people were not built for this society and its cultures, they were built for deep thought,prayer,love,creativeness and other neglected qualities and virtues that this world lacks at large.

The only difference between the patient and the psychiatrist is acceptance!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

while i was in hospital, alot of the staff kept telling me how insightful and intelligent i was and kept asking me what i was doing in a psychiatric hospital, like they thought i wasnt allowed to be mentally ill, like i had to be a dribbling wreck or something.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Borderline Personality Disorder is a diagnosis that psychiatrists and social workers, etc. give when they don't know what's really wrong with a person. When they give you that diagnosis, sometimes it means they've given up on you. I had that diagnosis for a while, although I don't have the symptoms according to the DSM-IV. I may have had one symptom at one point in my life, but that doesn't justify the diagnosis.

Oh, and I know what it's like to be treated like I couldn't possibly be mentally ill. My own family blames the psychiatrists and the pills. I've never been allowed to be sick in any way, shape, or form. The same people who say I'm not sick are often sick themselves. I never blame it on the doctors or the medicine.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by ivorywire]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ivorywire

i think what happend with me is that most of my life i held everything inside, id keep a brave face no matter how i felt inside, i think i got to a point where i couldnt hold back any more and the past year my mind has been clearing a blockage of backed up emotions that have accumulated over the years that i was bottling up.
thats my own theory anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ivorywire[/i

Oh, and I know what it's like to be treated like I couldn't possibly be mentally ill. My own family blames the psychiatrists and the pills. I've never been allowed to be sick in any way, shape, or form. The same people who say I'm not sick are often sick themselves. I never blame it on the doctors or the medicine.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by ivorywire]

yes thats exactly it!
i dont know what country your from so i dont know if your systems work the same as ours but here in England if you try to kill yourself and fail and you get taken to the hospital or the police take you to the hospital for similar reasons you have to see whats called the crisis team, now after you first meet them they kinda follow you after your discharged, y'know checkin up on you from time to time.
any way these people are are nothing but jobsworths you know?
one day one of 'em kept asking me "c'mon whats really goin off here"
like he thought i was feigning mental illness.
man those jokers really pi55ed me off.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Bipolar Hypomania

I go through an extreme fluctuation of moods in a day (most of which are me being in a good or great mood). I don't sleep much and try to get WAY TOO MUCH done in one day....in turn, i end up getting only a little done in the day (mostly the important things). Thank god i don't have the hallucinations that can sometimes come along with bipolar hypomania, but i do tend to get paranoid every so often. Its not horrible but is getting to the point where i might need medication to stabilize my mood soon. I have certain triggers. I tend to get very angry though. When the depression hits its bad (but, thank god its not often). I tend to feel hopeless and alone for ABSOLUTELY no reason at all....and then half a day (or a full day, depending...sometimes 2 days) I'm fine. Its more of just an annoyance then anything at this point.

I was diagnosed a year ago (at the age of 20).

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ivorywire

yep thats pretty much the deal with borderline. i personally call it "super psychotic disorder" lol. because really, its a big mash up of symptoms of other disorders. i think i was labelled as a borderline because i didnt neatly fit into any other type of disorder. i was a bit depressed, a bit anxious, a bit paranoid, a bit schizo, a bit anti social, a bit dependant, etc...

i also can relate to family not understanding and thinking that theres nothing wrong with you at all. i was talking to a family member about getting in touch with a job agency that specifically helps people with physical and mental disabilities. she responded with "you're not disabled". people in my family are of the opinion that because im smart, i cant possibly be disabled. being smart does not automatically mean that im a fully functioning and capable individual just like other people. i have certain issues, barriers that i need help overcoming. but because they cant see it, it must not be there. its really difficult to get people to understand. they just think that you're being stubborn, or that you have an attitude problem, or that you're lazy. its not really any of those things...its because i get sick.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
I carry the label of Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and PTSD.

Interesting, that's my exact diagnosis, in the same order. They seem to run together.

I get a bit frustrated when I hear some posters here brush off the fact that some people truly do depend on meds to stay stable. It seems that if THEY don;t need them, no one else should either.

The fact is that some people don;t have the correct brain chemistry, and no amount of praying, meditating, or hoping will change that.

For all those who take their meds faithfully and see the positive effect they have, I salute you, and please don't stop one day out of the blue because you think you are "cured". Talk to your doctors, do your own research but PLEASE REMEMBER: Mental illness is not curable, it's who we are.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord
Interesting, that's my exact diagnosis, in the same order. They seem to run together.

I get a bit frustrated when I hear some posters here brush off the fact that some people truly do depend on meds to stay stable. It seems that if THEY don;t need them, no one else should either.

The fact is that some people don;t have the correct brain chemistry, and no amount of praying, meditating, or hoping will change that.

For all those who take their meds faithfully and see the positive effect they have, I salute you, and please don't stop one day out of the blue because you think you are "cured". Talk to your doctors, do your own research but PLEASE REMEMBER: Mental illness is not curable, it's who we are.

You are right, friend. Many people don't realise that these kinds of medications are treatments and act as coping mechanisms. They help treat depression, anxiety and OCD. They make it easier to cope with and handle the difficulties associated with having these illnesses.

-------------------------------------------------

reply to post by EyeOnYou

Millions of people around the world suffer from mental health problems, so don't feel like you are alone or unique in this regard. The effects can not only be very difficult for the individual affected, but also others around the affected individual.

You sound like you are taking the right steps and have learned to recognise and control the effects of your illness. Congratulations on that because it is a very big barrier to overcome.

Those people that have distanced themselves from you probably do not understand the strain you have been through. Forget about them. For those that have stayed and continue to be there for you, cherish their support and let them know you appreciate it.

[edit on 24/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join