It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
@USSNormandy is on station off the coast of Haiti. We are ready and eager to assist as needed. #USGHaiti

AP report: Elderly + abandoned, 80 Haitians await death @ nearby hospice http://(link tracking not allowed)/4WD5u8 #Haiti

Survivor: Without vital port, 'We'll starve to death, that's all' /ya3tnby "Very soon we're going to have a riot"

Canada to send 1,000 more troops

[edit on 17-1-2010 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
just a quick update on the death toll. ITV news says over 200 000 feared dead and continuing to rise. Still no aid getting through and US troops wont be there for another week so aid cannot be given out safely and therefore more people will likely to die.

Gotta love this world. When it comes to war most countires can get there troops within hours but when theres a natural disaster you are on your own till governments can be bothered or public outrage grows.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Two Republican Dominican aid workers were shot in Haiti yesterday while providing aid, bringing the issue of security into question, the woman that were with them was no harmed.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
40 000 people in #Haiti received food from UN World Food Program yesterday. Not just Canada, but other nations could be supplying troops to the peacekeeping operation - possible Western Europe.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I am debating on how this "shooter" manage to get his hand on a weapon when they are banned from the population since the military was disbanded.

This smells fishy to me, what if this is just in an attempt for some to profit on chaos, If I start hearing that more people are getting their hands on weapons I will be standing behind the idea that some outside forces may be doing some instigation.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
US paratroopers handed out over 70,000 bottles of water and 130,000 rations yesterday #Haiti #USAID

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This smells fishy to me, what if this is just in an attempt for some to profit on chaos, If I start hearing that more people are getting their hands on weapons I will be standing behind the idea that some outside forces may be doing some instigation.

Want something fishier even?

Like a whole lot more stink?

And it ain't fish oil either...

OIL!

There is evidence that the United States found oil in Haiti decades ago and due to the geopolitical circumstances and big business interests of that era made the decision to keep Haitian oil in reserve for when Middle Eastern oil had dried up.

There is also good evidence that these very same big US oil companies and their inter-related monopolies of engineering and defense contractors made plans, decades ago, to use Haiti's deep water ports either for oil refineries or to develop oil tank farm sites or depots where crude oil could be stored and later transferred to small tankers to serve U.S. and Caribbean ports.

Tap Haiti's oil, keep it so poor it will be grateful for slave wages at sweatshops. Let sexual tourism and the white sex-abusers do as they will. Transfer quickly more Haiti properties to foreigners and render the "good" Haitians as maids, butlers and servants in US/Euro-owned Haiti tourist resorts like the rest of the Caribbean. Militarize Haiti so that dissent is not possible even as a thought. That's perhaps UN Envoy, Bill Clinton's "best chance in my lifetime" scenario for Haiti. (more) (much more)

source

peace

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hon, the so call oil hype and hoax was due to the fact that Cuba was screaming that it was oil in their coast, and is not and neither in my Island of PR.

The Caribbean sits on top of underwater mountains, even if is any oil at the base of the abyss in the Caribbean nobody no matter how technological advance it may be would be able to reach the bottom in our life time.

The tale of oil in the Caribbean has been around since I was a child growing up in PR and I am already 49 years old.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Note: Due to other commitments (I have another project that needs my attention - have to set up a website and have a few meetings too) I cannot be updating this thread on Haiti

My twitter will have updates, but I'm afraid I cannot do anymore ats updates. Sorry guys

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Six days after the Port-au-Prince earthquake, large areas of the city remain untouched by the global aid effort as bottlenecks continue to clog the airport and looting threatens to descend into wholesale violence.

Convoys of lorries headed for the city’s worst-hit areas tonight but there were signs they had come too late to prevent another tragedy, with Haitians turning on each other.

Mobile water stations were mobbed by crowds who have lived without basic sanitation for nearly a week. By text message and word of mouth, reports spread of a woman decapitated for whatever she had been carrying near one of the few functioning markets. Police shot and killed a man suspected of looting. Where police failed to intervene, crowds resorted to lynching, leaving fresh bodies on streets just cleared of those left by the earthquake.

President Préval announced that 3,500 US troops, confined until today to the airport, would fan out to help Haitian and UN police to keep order. Yet there was little sign of them — or of distribution points for food, water or medicines — in the vast refugee camp that was the Champs de Mars, near the ruins of the Presidential Palace.

Security improved at the camp today, but only briefly, as troops cordoned off a sector for a visit by Ban Ki Moon, the UN Secretary-General. “We have 2,000 police in Port-au-Prince and 3,000 bandits who have escaped from prison,” Mr Préval said before the visit. “That gives you an idea of how bad the situation is.”

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk... rioters.html

The naked body of a hanged suspected looter is dragged through the devastated streets of Port-au-Prince.
Children watch as the corpse is battered with pieces of wood.
This is street justice Haiti style as the capital city of the earthquake-devastated country teeters on the brink of anarchy.
Alongside the desperate worldwide aid effort there are chaotic scenes in the blighted island as looters armed with knives and guns pillage stores.

Street justice: Lynched then dragged through the streets of Port-au-Prince, the looter's body is battered with staves
Foreign aid agencies say they can operate only with the protection of United Nations soldiers and are awaiting the arrival of thousands of U.S. troops.
While most of the capital's 3million people are focused on finding food and water, clearing debris and pulling bodies from the rubble, there are pockets of violence and reports of looting and ransacking of shops.
The lynching came after police brought a man to Petionville, a once wealthy area of the capital, and told a crowd he had been arrested for looting.

Vigilante justice took over and he was hanged before his body was dragged through the streets and set on fire under a heap of rubbish.
In another incident, police opened fire on hundreds of rioters yesterday, killing at least one of them as they ransacked a market.
A man in his 30s was shot in the head as he grabbed food. Witnesses said another looter quickly snatched the rucksack off the dead man's back as clashes continued and police reinforcements descended on the area armed with pump-action shotguns and assault rifles.

There have also been reports of attacks on aid workers attempting to distribute the hundreds of tons of supplies arriving in the city.

And heavily armed gang members who once ran Haiti's largest slum like warlords have returned with a vengeance since Tuesday's earthquake damaged the National Penitentiary, allowing 3,000 inmates to break out.

Pictures on the site show a Haiti not shown on MSM.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Some new photos from CNN from Haiti.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Thanks for the heck of the job you have done posting here, we will be waiting for when you have time to come back.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I think people are going to turn against those that are taking advantage of them even if is their own.

Now for what I could see it was a lot of rescued people even after 5 days, that is great news.

Also the areas where the US military were guarding the distribution is was orderly and civil.

They do need more troops in distribution centers and I believe Canada and Brazil are stepping to the task in coming days along with the US.

Also they are trying to do what they can as many areas are impassable, but today finally the more fluent area gulf course that was taken by residents and made camps was finally reached by helicopters, everything was also orderly and civil.

The port is still a big problem as many foreign ships with all kind of aid are waiting patiently to be loaded into the city.

Is progress and all the countries involved are doing a heck of a job, I heard that the Israeli surgical hospital was working 24 hours a day, but is millions of people in need and is going to take a lot of more help to get all of them fed, comfortable and happy.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

NBC Nightly News video of what the US military is doing in Haiti.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Heres a video that shows how the UN and US are working in Haiti. Seems UN are the ones going street by street policeing Haiti.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Note: Due to other commitments (I have another project that needs my attention - have to set up a website and have a few meetings too) I cannot be updating this thread on Haiti

My twitter will have updates, but I'm afraid I cannot do anymore ats updates. Sorry guys

infinite - thanks for all the time and attention you have devoted to this thread. Much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
www.hln.be...

More pictures from Haiti. Some are disturbing.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Video of Haiti Border Situation (Dominican Side).

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
lens.blogs.nytimes.com...

Pictures from the New York Times.

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join