It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
wfplogistics.org...

Update Jan 16 1630z

UNHAS ANNOUNCEMENT

Please note: a slot system for Port-au-Prince airport (MTPP) has been created.

Special temporary access procedures for MTPP effective 1001160001 UTC until further notice.

At the request of ICAO and Haiti's neighboring states in support of earthquake relief operations, the US government has established temporary air traffic flow management procedures for flights into MTPP (Port-au-Prince airport).

All fixed-wing aircraft flying to MTPP are required to be on an active IFR flightplan and prior to departure obtain arrival slot times from the Haiti Flight Operations Coordination Center. PHONE NUMBER 001-850-283-5477.

Arrival slot times are valid +/-20 minutes of the scheduled arrival time.

If unable to meet scheduled arrival slot times, contact the Haiti Flight Operations Coordination Center or your controllng agency to coordinate new slot times.

Departures from MTPP must comply with normal ATC procedures.

All operators are advised that fuel and other ground support services may be unavailable.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Update Jan 16 1630z

ROADS updates

Main urban roads in Port au Prince (including the airport road) are being cleared by MINUSTAH and the Brazilian battalion. Major axes are open.
The DHL Disaster Response Team (DRT) has been set up in Port au Prince ready to provide airport management capacity as required.

SEAPORT updates

The port is not operational. See more photos of the damage. Niels Olsen, Port/Cpt in Port au Prince, provided the following update:

South pier is intact, but the access road is not. However, it is expected that repairs can be carried out in a few days by Dominican contractor “Estrella”, which will be inspecting the site on 15 Jan.
Walls to container terminals have collapsed and access cannot be properly controlled.
Berth 3 and 4 are under water. The adjacent RoRo ramp is broken off.
The wharf is intact and so is the vacuvator, but the mill is collapsed and wheat milling will not be possible anymore.
Apron of quayside concrete disappeared and docking is not possible.
It is recommended that arriving vessels should be re-directed to Cap-Haitien.
Check also the updates on The Logistics Cluster website.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The French have logged a diplomatic protest at the way the United States is operating the airport. French government has accused the Americans of making the situation even worse.

Just sent to me via CNN

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
[edit on 16-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't want to go off topic, but I think the U.S. military had little choice due to the small airport, lack of fuel, and planes arriving with little notice. It's not like they have something the size of JFK to work with.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
AIRPORT status
• Port-au-Prince Toussaint L'Ouverture International Airport (MTPP)
o Haitian airspace is only open to humanitarian aircraft operating to and from Haiti airports. No possibility of any over-flights due to very limited staffing.
o The ground stop that was issued by the Haitian Government at 15:00h GMT has been extended now through 19:00h GMT at the request of the Haitian government. Numerous aircraft are currently
holding for a spot on the ramp at the airport, some for over two hours.
o Some flights have been diverted to the Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos Islands.
o There is no fuel available at MTPP.
o Once (if) the ground stop is released, aircraft filed for MTPP should plan at least one hour of holding fuel and enough extra fuel to get to a secondary airport after departing MTPP without refuelling.
o The ILS, VOR, DME and runway lights are all reported as in service and working at this time.
o The operators of aircraft going to Haiti are increasing their crew members to assist with off-loading due to equipments being very limited in regard to the demands of aircraft on ground.
o The US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) is setting up a control centre in Miami to manage the air traffic between the USA and Haiti.
• Dominican Republic - Las Americas International Airport (MDSD)
o Santo Domingo’s International airport is also becoming congested.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
NavyNews

RT @southcomwatch Gen. Fraser officially names U.S. military Haiti relief mission as "Operation Unified Response"

# MarineCorpsNews

#Marines with 22nd MEU pushed off and are in route to #Haiti early this morning. http://(link tracking not allowed)/8BVNxk about 2 hours ago from Facebook

# Marine Corps News MarineCorpsNews

JOINT CHIEFS: The U.S. military brings some unique capabilities to the #earthquake relief mission in #Haiti http://(link tracking not allowed)/7fmK2b about 2 hours ago from (link tracking not allowed)

yellowempresss RT @MSF_USA: #Haiti: Doctors Without Borders has treated 2,000+ in tents outside damaged hospital. Needs for more complex surgery growing.

jonsac RT @ASoldiersMother: #Haiti Israeli rescue team successfully extracts 8 students from collapsed university building in capital half a minute ago from Tweetie

[edit on 16-1-2010 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I hope it is not against ATS rules to post a small article I wrote for Hii Dunia, regarding Haiti?

The people of the sun

Had to write it up rather quickly, quite short due to a three hour deadline

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
An A340 plane containing office equipment, WASH and nutrition kits has departed from Lyon and is scheduled to arrive in Port-au-Prince on 16 Jan.

France is complaining there office equipment didn't get to land when they wanted? I guess they have some faxing to do and are in a hurry.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well, well, well, what can we do about that, see, even with the ones dying, the ones death and those waiting for food and needed help the bureaucraps have priorities.

Sometimes I wonder some . . . no everybody but just some.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Today news, in Tent hospital, "35% percent needs immediately surgeries or they will die".

They are hopeful that the Israeli surgery team will be ready and operational some time today.

I have to give it to the Israelis they most have an impressive heck of a fully field operational camp.

Also the Comfort will be arriving today.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Navy Surgeon General anticipates a lengthy deployment for USNS Comfort. Due to the long wait for aid and medical treatment, minor injuries are no becoming life threatening.

The Israeli's have quite the battle experience, apologise for using that term, in open medical hospitals. Especially emergency surgery. IDF have the biggest mobile hospital on the ground.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
IDFinHaiti

#IDF field hospital in #Haiti currently treating 52 survivors of the earthquake. half a minute ago from web

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Outstanding,!!!!! got to give it to the Israeli humanitarian team, they deserve our respects for this incredible and fast operation in the Field.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
IMC_Worldwide

update from #haiti team member: Coming to hospital with four patients - One amputation, the others bad infections/gangrene and bad wounds.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think this would be a good story to share with the forum. It really shows the good that the US military can do. Its a side of the story I think more people should know about. The US Armed Forces are doing a spectacular job. I don't know if my unit will be mobilized to go but I would be the first in line if my unit got the call to go help the people of Haiti.

The U.S. Military in Haiti: A Compassionate Invasion

Louisiana became the 18th of the United States back in 1812, but you'd never have known it watching the Federal government's ham-fisted response to 2005's Hurricane Katrina. The Obama Administration is doing things differently: Haiti, for all intents and purposes, became the 51st state at 4:53 p.m.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well, it is likely Haiti might be "compassionately" be given protected status within the United States control. The Haitian Prime Minister had control of the port and airport to United States jurisdiction.

Desperate #Haitians scramble over boxes of Meals Ready To Eat dropped by helicopter. Watch NBC video of scuffle http://(link tracking not allowed)/4Tamq7

Senegal's president offers voluntary repatriation and land to any #Haitians that want to come to the West African nation – AP

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
chasrmartin RT @LoriMoreno: Please retweet: 2 Pittsburgh girls trapped in #Haiti with 150 kids at orphanage #bresma http://(link tracking not allowed)/8OjhsD via @ijustine

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yes I have not problem with US taking the country under its wind until it can rebuild, but the news are that they are planning to transport evacuees, unusually that means permanent stay.

Now the mess last night on the UN makeshift hospital was really stupid, Nobody is taking responsibility for the evacuation of the team of doctors leaving the patients with IVs after many of them having surgery, LT. GEN Russell did some calls last night to find out what happen, but everybody is pointing fingers and not taking any responsibility.

Dr. Gupta stayed all night with the patients and even took in more.

The doctors returned this morning.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I saw the news story now we are starting to see the true hidden heroes in Haiti, two young girls taking care of so many babies.

With not protection at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join