It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
www.wftv.com...

Plan To Bring Haitians To Central Fla. Not Set In Stone
Posted: 11:31 pm EST January 14, 2010
Updated: 1:50 pm EST January 15, 2010

Comment On This Story ››

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The American Red Cross says a plan to bring 45,000 evacuees from Haiti to Florida, and 4,000 of those to Orange County, is not set in stone. The Red Cross clarified Friday who could be involved in a plan to move people out of Haiti.

The Red Cross is preparing for two things: the repatriation of Americans living in Haiti and the possibility of a mass migration of Haitian nationals.

I think this is the last thing we need in Florida. 45,000 would destroy a state with the unemployment that is already high.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well actually the influx of evacuees is been going as more and more injured has been taken to hospitals there.

Is in the news.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Im not speaking of treating the injured im speaking of the mass migration portion of it.

""It would occur to me that there is a legal process associated with that and it would probably have to come through the State Department in terms of citizenship and visas, work visas [and] that sort of thing," Mayor Crotty said.

What that influx of people brings with it is a very large service demand, particularly in the area of social services in what is already a tough economy..

[edit on 16-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I know but is going to happen, just like US evacuated the citizens of New Orleans to other states during the reconstruction, I know probably my Island of PR will become a refugee spot also.

The reality is that Port au Prince doesn't have anywhere to build a tent city for 3 million people.

Is nothing we actually can do about it but complain, is going to happen anyway, I hope other nations will help with the humanitarian need also.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

But the people from Katrina stayed in the US and were US citizens. Haiti is a foriegn country there not even a territory of the US.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Neither is Puerto Rico from where I am from, but we are a Commonwealth and has been for over 70 years and we are officially US citizens even when we are in the Caribbean.

I know, I know is not the same, but trust me, if you have seem my post on illegal immigration I am one of the most strong opposer to it, but this is different this is a national tragedy in that nation and US is actually the only nation that can take that task even when we are up to our noses on tax and economic problems.

We have over 13 million illegals already in the US waiting for amnesty after 12 million were already given amnesty back in the 80s by Reagan, then Haiti have about 9 million people this will become a nightmare actually, but remember what our government does it does it without asking the people anyway.

I have mix feelings when it comes to the economic impact on our nations economy but I can not deny this are different situation.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by JBA2848

That equipment should have been there to begin with, kind of late now, but hey the military keeps telling that Haiti is a logistics nightmare, I guess is worst once you are in the streets.

I understand your frustration, but in poor areas, there is no need for a road because there are no cars to drive on them. They have paths and if your rich you have a bike to get around on. I other places the roads are covered under debris. Tornadoes are fairly local storms, but even their damage can make roads impassable for hours.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

You know what I completely forgot that Haiti resemble my Island of Puerto Rico about 40 years ago, when I as a child remember my father parking his car at the end of a hill and taking me on his back to walk over dirt roads to go visit family member living in the hills, the bath house where out side and out houses or latrines were part of everyday life, I used to be petrified of them thinking a monster was coming from the pit to get me.

Now a days Puerto Rico have roads every where and is no place you can not go now a days.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
They showed the Israeli camp with their surgery unit, its amazing all the equipment they have available, including a lab.

This people are all over it.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The #IDF field hospital in #Haiti has treated 96 patients and performed 8 surgeries. (via @IDFinHaiti)
less than 20 seconds ago from API

UN to meet in Mexico, the security council, to discuss Haiti. Haiti Govt. Have pulled 20,000 bodies so far - 50,000 recovered so far.

Sad day

Aid teams struggle to help Haitians: Relief workers battle to get supplies from airport to people affected by eart... http://(link tracking not allowed)/5Qu737
9 minutes ago from twitterfeed

[edit on 17-1-2010 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
IDFinHaiti
52 yr old rescued by #IDF team in #Haiti in good condition. trapped under rubble for 4 days

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Haiti in pictures, warning graphic content.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Two UNHAS Mi‐171 helicopters are being positioned and are expected to be operational from 25 Jan. #Haiti #logistics

25th January? Haiti cannot wait that long

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Officials Strain to Distribute Aid to Haiti as Violence Rises

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — As the focus on Saturday turned away from Haitians lost to those trying to survive, a sprawling assembly of international officials and aid workers struggled to fix a troubled relief effort after Tuesday’s devastating earthquake.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The #IDF field hospital in #Haiti has treated 96 patients, released 58, 38 patients in recovery and performed 8 surgeries

Wow! Head of Logs for CRS was the woman rescued w/ her sons from the collapsed grocery store. Just saw her on @CNNbrk/@iDeskCNN.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
NOTE TO MODS: I AM BREAKING THE NEWS RULES IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUNGER MEMBERS

The horrifying moment lynch mob beats to death a looter and drags his body through the streets as Haiti descends into anarchy

• Hillary Clinton lands in Port-au-Prince vows U.S. 'will stand by you'
  • Death toll could reach 200,000

A mob of men and children watch as the bloodied corpse of a suspected thief is brutally beaten by a man with a stick.
The victim is naked and bound at his hands and feet. It is broad daylight in the devastated capital city of Haiti.
These are the latest in a series of chilling images from the country as anarchy threatens to destabilise the relief effort following Tuesday's earthquake.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I shall not be disclosing the source of this story because the article contains pictures - rather disturbing. Taken it upon myself to protect younger members and those who are sensitive.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
More stories of rescues are coming in as teams work in dangerous conditions.

By Guy Adams at Port-au-Prince

Sunday, 17 January 2010

At lunchtime, a passer-by heard faint screams coming from the ruins of a two storey house in the hillside neighbourhood of De Pres. Minutes later, a team of British rescue workers were summoned top the scene. And after four long hours of digging, a 39-year-old woman was pulled from the rubble. “Thank you, thank you!” she cried.

For the 20-odd men of RAPID UK, a search-and-rescue team who dropped everything to rush to Haiti when they heard news of Tuesday’s quake, it was just another day at the office. After finally reaching Port-au-Prince on Friday morning, they set to work.
end quote

source
www.independent.co.uk...

Added

Sunday, January 17, 2010
Epicenter town of Carrefour in Haiti sees little aid, little hope
BY LUIS FELIPE LOPEZ
[email protected]

CARREFOUR, Haiti -- Nobody here has seen elements of the United Nations mission, with their unmistakable blue helmets. Nor the vehicles that distribute water or the mobile kitchens sent by the Dominican Republic.

This town, which on Tuesday was the epicenter of the earthquake, is living in the epicenter of oblivion.

On Saturday, a first contingent of Dominican firefighters managed to reach Carrefour, an enormous hillside town about 10 miles south of Port-au-Prince, home to more than 400,000 people.

``We're looking for the possibility to rescue some survivors in the rubble, but unfortunately can't find anyone,'' a member of the Dominican crew -- who asked not to be identified -- told El Nuevo Herald.
end quote

source
www.thedominican.net...

[edit on 17-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
And this from Time Magazine.

“What makes the earthquake especially ‘cruel and incomprehensible,’ as U.S. President Barack Obama put it, was that it struck at a rare moment of optimism. After decades of natural and political catastrophes, the U.N. peacekeeping force and an international investment campaign headed by former President Bill Clinton, the U.N.'s special envoy to Haiti, had recently begun to calm and rebuild the nation. But the mood of cautious optimism had not yet begun to improve the basic living conditions of ordinary Haitians. For even on its best day, Haiti is a public-health disaster. No Haitian city has a public sewage system; nearly 200,000 people live with HIV or AIDS, and just half of Haitian children are vaccinated against basic diseases like diphtheria and measles.” -- Michael Elliott, Time Magazine

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Doctors Without Borders Cargo Plane With Full Hospital and Staff Blocked From Landing in Port-au-Prince

Doctors Without Borders Website

Can anyone figure this one out? Seems that doctors would be given first priority.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Police have opened fire on looters. One reported dead, dozens are injured.

Not sure if it was a Haitian officer or a UN officer. Details are very limited at the moment and hard to understand what has just occurred on the ground.

new topics

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join