It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There are so many pages...I don't know if this has already been stated...

from CNN:

Haitian authorities have recorded at least 72,000 deaths, the prime minister said. That does not include bodies buried by families or collected by the U.N. mission.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I just wonder how accurate 72000 people buried is. They can fit about 70 bodies in a dump truck that measures 4'x8'x20'. That would mean they have dumped over 1000 loads in holes and buried them in about 4 days. That is a lot of dump trucks running up and down the road. One truck load every 6 minutes if they do it 24 hrs a day.

Looking at this dump truck it couldn't hold very many the sides are only about 3 or 4 feet high. Times online has a good picture of the truck sowing how small it is. And all the pictures shows the same white truck.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
There are some updates (good news):

Naval medical ship approaches quake-ravaged Haiti
January 20, 2010 -- Updated 0946 GMT (1746 HKT)

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Much-needed medical reinforcement arrives in Haiti on Wednesday in the form of a state-of-the-art hospital aboard a U.S. naval ship.

The USNS Comfort, which saw duty in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and the 2001 terror attacks in New York, is to arrive mid-morning in the flattened capital, Port-au-Prince. U.S. helicopters will ferry patients aboard, bringing relief to overloaded hospitals and clinics.

Two severely injured Haitians have already been transported to the hospital ship as it sailed toward Haiti, according to the Department of Defense.

The patients -- a 6-year-old boy with a crushed pelvis and 20-year-old man with a broken skull and possibly fractured cervical vertebrae -- had been treated initially on the USS Carl Vinson, a U.S. aircraft carrier docked off the Haitian capital.

The Comfort is carrying nearly 550 doctors, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff, who will be joined by 350 other medical staffers once the ship reaches Haiti, according to the U.S. Southern Command. The ship will have six operating rooms available and can house up to 1,000 patients.

edition.cnn.com...

Rescuers tears as Haitis miracle survivors are freed

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 20 (AFP) - Rescuers hauled a woman out of the Haiti earthquake rubble after she survived for a week without food or water and barely able to move.
Another elderly woman started singing when she was pulled out of the wreckage of Port-au-Prince cathedral hours before Hoteline Losana, 25, became the latest of Haiti's miracle survivors.
Despite US military warnings that the operation would soon switch to the recovery of thousands of bodies, rescuers kept up the search into Wednesday for survivors like Hoteline Losana who defied the deadly odds.
Losana, 25, was pulled from the ruins of a Port-au-Prince shopping center.
"She is conscious and in good form," Thiery Cerdan of the French group Rescuers Without Borders, which carried out the nine hour operation with Haitian firemen and American experts.
Losana had been in an apartment over a supermarket when the 7.0 magnitude quake struck on January 12. The rescuers said she had no food or water, could barely move, and owed her survival to the position in which she was stuck.
"We pulled someone out seven days after an earthquake, that is quite extraordinary," said Bruno Besson, another member of the French team.
Hours earlier, Mexican firefighters rescued Anna Zizi from beneath the ruins of the Roman Catholic cathedral. Zizi, aged about 70, was pulled from rubble two hours short of a full week after the quake struck.

Full story - mysinchew.com

I remember when in L'aquila rescue operations switched to the recovery of bodies: it has been the worst moment, when all hopes to find any survivor were lost. The problem is that they can't leave the bodies under the debris forever, especially for epidemic hazard

It's important to try to save as many human lives as possible, but it's also of vital importance to defend the survivors from further hazards.
After the recovery of bodies we'll have some reliable death toll: the numbers coming from Haiti are still to be taken with a grain of salt, for obvious reasons.

[edit on 20/1/2010 by internos]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reported from CNN this morning:

Haitian President and members of cabinet still alive have HQ'd at police station and are addressing the country via radio. Confirmation of this came from one Haitian radio station who said that yes, the government has been using his station.

I do not have a link, as I only watched this on TV, but when I do, I'll add it.

ETA source:

More info here

[edit on 20-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
another 6.1 just hit haiti

Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 11:03:44 UTC
* Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 06:03:44 AM at epicenter

Location 18.428°N, 72.875°W
Depth 9.9 km (6.2 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region HAITI REGION
Distances

* 41 km (26 miles) WNW (301°) from Jacmel, Sud-Est, Haiti
* 49 km (31 miles) WSW (257°) from Carrefour, Ouest, Haiti
* 59 km (36 miles) WSW (257°) from PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.5 km (4.0 miles); depth +/- 25.7 km (16.0 miles)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Not good, Although aftershocks of this size should be expected after such a large quake, Its the depth we have to keep an eye on, 6..2 miles is pretty shallow lets hope there's not to many like that or closer to the surface,

No tsunami warning has been issued.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by asala]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by vortexcmd

Just saw this on bbcnews and my heart sank. I hope this doesn't hamper suppert and relief efforts and I really hope this doesn't generate a tsunami.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Sky News in the UK have just mentioned it in their Haiti update - they said that they got the news from Twitter!

The quake is being described as a significant after shock that sent people running into the street.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Jan 20 (Reuters) - A magnitude 6.1 aftershock jolted Haiti on Wednesday, eight days after a stronger earthquake devastated the Caribbean country, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from Wednesday's quake, which the USGS said occurred at 1103 GMT and was centered 26 miles (42 km) west-northwest of Jacmel.

hopefully there right and theres no added damage.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The 6.1 occured near the coastal town of Petit Goave, I'd imagine so soon after this initial quake that there'd be a lack of reports so soon (it only happened barely 30 minutes ago), plus with communications on the island as it is, it could be a fair while yet before any news comes out.

This isnt a Aftershock however but a seperate quake, as the transitional energy is now being displaced all across this plate boundary over/near Haiti. The USGS shows this process all too well in the past week. I'd expect to see more of these quakes as the Fault unzips further.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I asked this question when the recent quake hit CA. How does one differentiate between a separate quake and an aftershock?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by vortexcmd

It's concerning especially becuase the already damaged building could collpase: but it's within the predictable: according to Bath's Law the difference in magnitude between a main shock and its largest aftershock is approximately constant, independent of the main shock magnitude: (usually 1.1-1.2 on the Moment magnitude scale). In this case, it's 0.9, higher than expected but hopefully this will be the peak of the series of aftershocks.
The worst thing that could happen would be the so called "seismic couple": basically, the main shock generates a repercussion which strenght is equal if not bigger than the main shock: this event is extremely rare though, but knowing the Haitians bad luck you never know. Let's cross our fingers and thanks for the update.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjcord
reply to post by ROBL240

I asked this question when the recent quake hit CA. How does one differentiate between a separate quake and an aftershock?

The system is simple: when you have a shock it's automatically classified ast the main one: if a stronger shock occurs, the the previous one gets classified as "foreshock": once the strongest shock occurs, all the previous ones get classified as "foreshocks, the major is the main shock and all the next are classified as aftershocks: the case of Haiti is characterised by lack of foreshocks, but it wasn't a surprise for geologists: actually it had been predicted.
Paradoxically, the less foreshocks you have the more energy gets charged, and consequentially the stronger is the main shock.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Found a little article on the damage in petit goave from the first quake...

www.konpay.org...

so this really is another blow my fingers are crossed that no more lifes were lost during this aftershock/new quake.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Well i didnt do a search but I have just seen on the news here in Oz that a 2nd Quake has hit Haiti today 20/01/10 and was another big one of 6+

I think something is going on there and this could be the start of the major cull of the population possibly ???

Any thoughts or just good old fashioned ATS paranoia.....

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Mass exodus from Haiti will be a giant problem!!!
As in any disaster the migration means chaos followed by lots of complications.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

It's already a serious concern here in the Dominican Republic. I know of several groups that are talking about this very issue and the bloodbath that it could turn into. A lot of the Dominican rescuers are being robbed, beaten and killed by Haitian groups of criminals that intercept small trucks and cars with supplies. It's very frustrating and it may fuel much more animosity and racism than there already is. Some of the marginally poor of the Haitian cells here on our side are getting desperate and hopeless and there is an increase on violation to property and stealing by these cells.

I am sure the island will be united by the UN at some point and war will follow.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I agree, this one is too big to be called an AFTERSHOCK, this was i think a separate Earth quake. Now this one will set off aftershocks.

No end in sight to the mysery.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Isawsomething

that really blows mate.... Lets hope the people there can stop these hectic gangs and not have to rely on the UN to help out.

I still think its unbelievable that you guys are so close to US main land and yet no help has really come you way in relation to getting aid to the people.

Its very passive / aggressive indeed......

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isawsomething
reply to post by JJay55

It's already a serious concern here in the Dominican Republic. I know of several groups that are talking about this very issue and the bloodbath that it could turn into. A lot of the Dominican rescuers are being robbed, beaten and killed by Haitian groups of criminals that intercept small trucks and cars with supplies. It's very frustrating and it may fuel much more animosity and racism than there already is. Some of the marginally poor of the Haitian cells here on our side are getting desperate and hopeless and there is an increase on violation to property and stealing by these cells.

I am sure the island will be united by the UN at some point and war will follow.

The US MSM is reporting that there is low crime, that the Hatian people are very loving and not rioting or looting or committing crimes. I think it's an effort to have families adopt orphans. But why should the US take that responsibility... our government is stupid sometimes and we don't face reality.

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57 >>

join