It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by whoshotJR
If you want to figure out more about earthquake depths

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I would also bet the main reason you don't see any changes in depth is because the tension was not actually released yet so these aftershocks would be like a person trying to get their car out of a parallel parking spot by ramming the person in front and back of them because they were too close. Unless those other cars move you would just keep hitting them in the same place on the bumper.

It was like 10 years ago I took the geology classes though so I'm an amateur at best.

No matter if you are amateur or not. :p At least you offered some sort of theory, so kudos.
I wonder if/when the tension would actually be "released" tho. Would this be another worse quake or just a sort-of fizzle out effect?

The affected fault is a strike/slip, this is like placing two bricks side by side, apply pressure to both then try to push/slide them apart, the first movement is the largest because you are overcoming stationary inertia, the following quakes are smaller because the overall tension has been lowered.

The section that moved is a very tiny tectonic plate between much larger plates, a sliver if you like, there is some concern for the larger plates.

A 1995 paper on the microplates in the region is here.
www.sciencedirect.com... 1164402058&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=310590ea45c3e2173573cadc618282bb

Look also for the Gonave microplate, a Wiki article on the 1692 Jamaica quake here. en.wikipedia.org...
The Gonâve microplate is a 1100 km long strip of oceanic crust formed by the Cayman spreading ridge within a strike-slip pull-apart on the northern transform margin of the caribbean plate with the North American Plate.
end quote

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by starshiner

You mean to tell me that no other countries in the world lie on these lines?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Things we should be thinking about:

1) HAARP and/or Other Ionospheric Heaters
Can anyone verify if the HAARP array is/was active around the time of the quakes? EISCAT? Any report of strange clouds or visuals in the sky over Haiti/Cali/Mexico before/during/after the quakes?

2) Unusual Natural Occurrence
Do these quakes fit the norm? Anything strange here? Seems to be a lot of noteworthy to significant quakes occurring around the world. Is there any data to support a link to Pole Shift? NEOs? Solar activity? Effects from Sagittarius A via Dark Rift? Any indication of irregular auroral activity?

3) Typical Natural Occurrence
Are these events insignificant from the perspective of geologic record? Is this par for the course?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Guys this is a thread about HAITI. Mag 2-3 eq's happen so many times a day USGS doesnt even report them all, can we please not OMG over every small quake? Here's a list of the last 8-30 days on USGS. It's not all of a sudden, check the site out please, and go check out Quake watch, there are a fair few people who know a fair bit about Earthquakes in that thread that can answer questions. Please dont clog the thread with small Mag quakes from the other side of the world. It's getting a bit out of hand!

USGS Last 8-30 Days

Please check this one out and do some browsing too
USGS Earthquakes

and here's the Quake Watch thread i mentioned.
QuakeWatch 2010

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by np6888

Because putting a device that can generate 32 megatons of power to a depth of 10 kilometers might raise some questions in densely populated areas. That is why!!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

Didn't we have a lot of dead squid/fish turning up in this area some time ago?

Dead fish provoke alert around gulf...

related?

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

are u for real?, we are discussing that#s what happens and yes there are earthquakes every half an hour, why can't you understand that people need to discuss in order to understand why these things happen,

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Relelation says that in the last days there will be earthquakes. I am sure that we will be seeing alot more in the days, months, and years to come.
Last month Nebraska had a small (1.2?) one.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by starshiner

Excuse me? am I for real? Read the title of this thread? Create your own seperate thread and do some reasearch if thats what you want to talk about. You have just came in here and completley clogged the thread with usless info on small uninvolved mag quakes. lucky for me there is an ignore button. Phew! oh and lucky for all of us that school holidays will be over soon OMGOZZORS.

[edit on 13/1/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

If this did occur, then could the decrease in marine biomass be caused by something such as increased sulfur levels from seafloor vents precluding the earthquake? Could HAARP and/or its sister facilities kill off marine life in large, sudden numbers? Is there any data available to support or refute these or similar suppositions?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by DamaSan]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

That's something i'd love to know more about too, how it was mentioned before the solomon is EQ the other week with the whale beachings in NZ. While alot of these can be attributed to Pollution and other things, i can't help but think some animals are better tuned then us to the earths changes. Although they don't have as many distractions as we do now do they!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
ignorance gets the world no where!! get the point.

these things are predictable but where not predicted!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The cult of Osiris

Ummm. We just had a 6.5 in ca

What???? Like Recently or now

[edit on 13-1-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Well at least we know frogs and toads are reliable indicators....

Did toads predict the earthquake

I agree that not all animal behavior is an indication of upcoming earthquake activity but i can't get around the fact that certain animals do seem to have a sense for these things. Although i doubt that dying is a behavioral pattern.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
If the aftershocks are all at the exact same depth, then it's definitely not normal. In fact, 10 km is the same depth of the Sichuan quake.

All we have to do is look at the data of similar quakes to know for sure.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DamaSan
Things we should be thinking about:

2) Unusual Natural Occurrence
Do these quakes fit the norm? Anything strange here? Seems to be a lot of noteworthy to significant quakes occurring around the world. Is there any data to support a link to Pole Shift? NEOs? Solar activity? Effects from Sagittarius A via Dark Rift? Any indication of irregular auroral activity?

7.0 is normal within a 50 year cycle, 7.3 is normal within a 200 year cycle.

There is no data to link a mythological pole shift from a delusional woman in Wisconsin.

Same for the rest of your questions above.

Originally posted by DamaSan
3) Typical Natural Occurrence
Are these events insignificant from the perspective of geologic record? Is this par for the course?

Natural occurrence for the region, see details on the 1692 Jamaican quake here.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Just recently:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was only 3 or 4 days ago. And I'm pretty sure that about a week or so before that all the sea lions left San Francisco:

And 6 days ago, before this Haiti quake, all these dead fish starting showing up in the Gulf of Mexico (the same tectonic plate where Haiti is on):

Strange stuff.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
neic.usgs.gov...

According to this link, we can see that the depth is very varied, except for the ones at 10 km. Even without looking at the specifics of the aftershocks, we can already conclude that these are man-made.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by np6888
neic.usgs.gov...

According to this link, we can see that the depth is very varied, except for the ones at 10 km. Even without looking at the specifics of the aftershocks, we can already conclude that these are man-made.

Please demonstrate your conclusions.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by np6888

can you find anything that supports that they are man made, I cannot find anything its useless trying look, i did find
The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is about 6.8.

Though still widely used, the Richter scale has been superseded by the moment magnitude scale, which gives generally similar values.

The energy release of an earthquake, which closely correlates to its destructive power, scales with the 3⁄2 power of the shaking amplitude. Thus, a difference in magnitude of 1.0 is equivalent to a factor of 31.6 ( = (101.0)(3 / 2)) in the energy released; a difference of magnitude of 2.0 is equivalent to a factor of 1000 ( = (102.0)(3 / 2) ) in the energy released.

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join