It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Earthquake
State: Erzincan Ili
Date: 2010-01-13 : 06:56:52
Magnitude: 3.3
Depth: 5 km
looks like they are getting bigger

[edit on 13-1-2010 by starshiner]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Next question for the experts: I have checked out the USGS site for some time now and have noted that there are often quakes in the same region for several days (aftershocks) but I have noticed that most of them are recorded at close, yet varying depths. In this latest quake however, I have also noticed that *ALL* of the aftershocks as well as the main quake are at a depth of exactly 10 kilometers. Is that normal, and why?

Yes that is normal, you are mostly likely to get quakes around the same depths for a given area because of what the ground is made of.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by Wookiep
Next question for the experts: I have checked out the USGS site for some time now and have noted that there are often quakes in the same region for several days (aftershocks) but I have noticed that most of them are recorded at close, yet varying depths. In this latest quake however, I have also noticed that *ALL* of the aftershocks as well as the main quake are at a depth of exactly 10 kilometers. Is that normal, and why?

Yes that is normal, you are mostly likely to get quakes around the same depths for a given area because of what the ground is made of.

I agree *around* the same depth. My question was 30 *exact* ones? Again, we'll see if it just takes some time for the data to be analyzed.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Does anyone find it strange though.......I mean the poorest country in the western hemisphere is in utter chaos and completely destroyed. I mean if this was some sort of HAARP test what better place to test some sort of device weapon than Haiti. I know it sounds crazy but something is just awfully strange about this earthquake hitting Haiti.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If you want to figure out more about earthquake depths

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I would also bet the main reason you don't see any changes in depth is because the tension was not actually released yet so these aftershocks would be like a person trying to get their car out of a parallel parking spot by ramming the person in front and back of them because they were too close. Unless those other cars move you would just keep hitting them in the same place on the bumper.

It was like 10 years ago I took the geology classes though so I'm an amateur at best.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Interesting. I suggest everyone pray [those who do] for the survivors and families of the deceased. There's a long path to recovery for such a nation as Haiti.

The interesting part, is how that fault hasn't been active in a long time. I wonder if there is a shift about to occur? "About" refers to a timeline of a decade or so in my thinking in this context.

With the multiple dormant volcanoes in Alaska and Russia's Komchatcka Penn, going off almost simultaneously now this earthquake as well as the slightly less interesting Cali quake, but stil intriguing because its on that certain fault line that has the potential for a megathrust event to occur like it did in 1700.

I wonder if the planet is experiencing cyclical growing pains or are these precursors to more powerful events?

Also, in conjecture, I guess we'll see if HAARP is working when this years Hurricane season is completely different from the last one...again.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I would bet my house its not a conspiracy but just earthquakes happening naturally. They happen all the time and the big ones can cause massive swarms of aftershocks. If there was an underground volcano forming then you would also see this.

You could always check the Haarp sites and see if its been active or even on.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

It was like 10 years ago I took the geology classes though so I'm an amateur at best.

That is still better then 99% of the people visiting this site (including me!!) so keep up the good work whoshotJR.

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

If you want to figure out more about earthquake depths

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I would also bet the main reason you don't see any changes in depth is because the tension was not actually released yet so these aftershocks would be like a person trying to get their car out of a parallel parking spot by ramming the person in front and back of them because they were too close. Unless those other cars move you would just keep hitting them in the same place on the bumper.

No matter if you are amateur or not. :p At least you offered some sort of theory, so kudos.
I wonder if/when the tension would actually be "released" tho. Would this be another worse quake or just a sort-of fizzle out effect?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I sent a u2u to Russianscientists because he actually knows this stuff

Hopefully he will jump in the thread and give his take as he has his own equipment and some theories that seem sound to me.

Even with that though the best theory is still a guess when it comes to earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
as i said mother nature isn't finished there is quakes in mexico now too, i may not know a lot about quakes but i sure have been learning/googling, like i said

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I wonder if this is the last gasp attempt by the Illuminati for mass destruction? Wonder why our UFO friends weren't able to stop it.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by np6888

this isn't a joke whatsoever and your in the wrong thread

anyways all the fault lines are going nuts this is bad

Full-screen
Earthquake
State: Estado de Baja California
Date: 2010-01-13 : 07:37:00
Magnitude: 2.8
Depth: 7.10 km

[edit on 13-1-2010 by starshiner]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Video is now coming through, stills on youtube.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I'm sure it's not. But it just seems weird. Of all the fault lines and recent quakes all over the world we have been so lucky here in CA. Maybe I"ll eat my words this year and I would never wish a major quake on CA but it just seems weird.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
another one in alaska this is too weird
Earthquake
State: Alaska
Date: 2010-01-13 : 07:52:59
Magnitude: 2.5
Depth: 79.20 km
takea look
hisz.rsoe.hu...

look at all the blips its nuts

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Ummm. We just had a 6.5 in ca

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
holy # look too
Full-screen
Earthquake
State: Province of Davao Oriental
Date: 2010-01-13 : 07:54:59
Magnitude: 5.1
Depth: 119 km
Details

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by starshiner

I wasn't joking. If these are man-made, then certainly, one has to wonder why there aren't more destruction, i.e happening in more populated areas.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by np6888

because they do not follow the tectonic lines, and by the looks of it there is more to come

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join