It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead fish provoke alert around Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
After reading this article, I'm still puzzled as to what are the potential causes that would lead to thousands of fish showing up dead on the coast?

Toxins in water? Temperature? Other predators? Natural disaster looming?

Can anybody help offer some insight...?

Mexican officials issued a vigilance alert Tuesday after thousands of dead fish washed up on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.

Veracruz state governor Fidel Herrera issued the alert after fishermen reported dead fish along several kilometers (miles) of beaches off eastern Mexico.

"We have to determine if it was a natural phenomenon or if it is more generalized," Herrera told journalists, adding that Mexican Marines had taken samples from other coastal areas.

Investigators were studying the fish to determine the cause of the deaths, said Aurora Parissi, director of Veracruz state public health laboratory.

They were also studying possible links to dead fish which appeared last month on beaches in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas and the US state of Texas, both also on the Gulf of Mexico.
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The gulf of mexico frequently gets dead zones from lack of oxygen.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida officials are seeking an emergency federal permit to dump millions of gallons of polluted water from a bankrupt phosphate plant into the Gulf of Mexico.

www.uswaternews.com...

This clip is from a few years back.

Pollution just doesn't seem to stop.

Maybe Texas is dumping something in the water.

Or maybe some of the evil mfgs. that moved to Mexico to avoid EPA in US are dumping toxins.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Alethea]

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There has also been three 5ish eathquakes in the vicinity over the last two days. I wonder if that could have released chemicals into the water or had some other effect on this.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

This is the kind of thinking that i've started to explore.

Volcanic activity is known to produce 'toxic' outgassing on land so it stands to reason this could happen underwater.

There have been so many reports of washed up marine life just recently and from different parts of the world.

Sure, these different reports could all have different reasons. Manmade pollution being a prime suspect.

Gonna have to do some research on this i think.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Red Tide can do this.

Lived on the gulf coast for a few years, and have seen Red Tide twice.
It pretty much kills everything.

Seems like most of the carcases were jellys, blowfish, and horseshoe crabs, with a few smaller fishies mixed in.

Red tide is caused by an alge bloom.

Iron in seawater will make an alge bloom also, so if underwater volcanic activity or an earthquake let go of something that would promote alge growth, it might also cause this.

en.wikipedia.org...

cliffnotes: Sucks to be a Mexican Fish

[edit on 6-1-2010 by SLaPPiE]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
At least one thread a week seems to show up that includes thousands of aquatic animals washing up on beaches. I'm not sure if this is an ATS trend, or if it's an increasing reality.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by patmac
At least one thread a week seems to show up that includes thousands of aquatic animals washing up on beaches. I'm not sure if this is an ATS trend, or if it's an increasing reality.

You do seem to be correct. Yesterday was a story about ice balls surfacing on coastlines somewhere in Europe?

Interesting trend.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
signs of the end times people, .... startin to freak me out... im not even christian...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

No, I don't think it is Texas.

I can tell you exactly where the pollution in the gulf comes from...

The Mississippi river!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Hyeah, your absolutely right...not to mention all the oil platforms in the gulf...but we're not supposed to think this way.

How obvious does it have to be before people delete their programming and have their respective epiphanies?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Yeah, but I don't think the Oil rigs are comparable to the Mississippi. Oil rigs may dump a few barrels here and there, but everything from every state from Michigan down to Louisiana is carried down the Mississippi river.

I'm talking waste run off from pesticides, human waste, general litter, any chemical that found its way to the pavement and then was rained on, etc from 10 states.

Oh she's a polluted girl alright!

-------------------------------

I once caught a nice Flat Head catfish out of the Mississippi. It was about 67 lbs give or take a couple ounces. Oh it had quite a fight in it! Guess what I found in its stomach!

A full can of hairspray, a part of a tire, and a McDonalds cheeseburger wrapper........

I didn't eat it even though I was going to. Kinda took my appetite for fish away.....

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hyeah, you definitely have a point about the contributor to Gulf Pollution. I completely agree. Hell I live on a river that's only got 15 miles or so above me, and I wouldn't touch this water with a toe, let alone eat anything out of it.

I don't know what would be more scary to eat, the Cat from the Rancid Rotgutt River, or the McDonald's cheeseburger wrapper. I guess as long as it didn't have any of the burger left, it'd be ok. :/

[edit on 9-1-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that the Mississippi is the culprit to gulf pollution. There is a lot of random crap floating down. I lived in the St. Louis area till recently. You wouldn't beleive the crap I've pulled out of there. Its really heart breaking as she is still a beautiful sight to behold. There is a part just north of Alton Illinois called the great river road. If you are ever lucky enough to drive it, you will never forget it.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Hey - hey-- Just 6 days later there is now this major 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti. Notice too how all the seals disappeared from San Francisco about a week before there was a major earthquake in northern California?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I wonder if it has anything to do with Chevron drilling the gulf of mexico for oil. They were spending like $500,000 per day to drill on the gulf for oil.

I saw it on the news on yahoo, but couldn't find it anymore, this is what I found on google search: www.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

join