It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by DamaSan

Didn't we have a lot of dead squid/fish turning up in this area some time ago?

Dead fish provoke alert around gulf...

related?

Peace

Also very recently on the other side of the Atlantic we had this www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Thousands of dead octopuses have washed up on a beach in northern Portugal, in what is being called an environmental disaster.

They cover a 5-mile stretch of Vila Nova de Gaia beach - no reason has yet been found for their appearance.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Whats with all the sea creatures being washed up on beaches lately? Have they forgot which way they are meant to be going?
Or is something else at work..

and...

Originally posted by Julie Washington
Gosh, something must be going on.

December 9, 2009 - Holkham Beach in Norfolk
10,000 Starfish turn up dead

Story and Photos

December 27, 2009 - New Zealand
125 Pilot whales beach themselves:
Story

Could they be related?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Foo_Lovers]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
reply to post by prof-rabbit

I am personally sickened by this earthquake- but I am never one to doubt what the government- and world government is capable of. I am sure its most likely a natural occurance but i dont think its outside the realm of possibilities for us to consider alternative causes.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by xynephadyn]

So what of the other quakes around the world this week? or last month? or last year? there is no reason to believe in other causes and hundreds of events yearly that demonstrate the natural occurrence of quakes around the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by starshiner

So according to your data, about 140 major quakes(6.0 or more) occur per year. Is anyone curious that we don't hear about them more often?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Just because the others weren't man-made, doesn't mean that this one isn't. Unless you can explain to me what's so special about that 10 km depth, we have to attribute them to a man-made pattern.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by np6888

So you don't find it odd at all that the #10 is so prevalent, while the other numbers are unique? At the very least, you could reply with, well, maybe this is where most of the plate tensions are.

The majority of the earthquake depth readings for the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake were at 30 kms or 19 miles, you are grasping at smoke and fog hoping someone will agree with you.

Date December 26, 2004 (2004-12-26)
Magnitude 9.3 Mw
Depth 30 km (19 mi)
Epicenter location 3°18′58″N 95°51′14″E / 3.316°N 95.854°E / 3.316; 95.854Coordinates: 3°18′58″N 95°51′14″E / 3.316°N 95.854°E / 3.316; 95.854
Type Undersea (subduction)

Because of its enormous energy release and shallow rupture depth, the earthquake generated remarkable seismic ground motions around the globe, particularly due to huge Rayleigh (surface) elastic waves that exceeded 1 cm in vertical amplitude everywhere on Earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
On the subject of HAARP now. Not to diminish the sadness that this event has caused many people but I came here to look for any theories on whether this event is 100% caused by nature.

Is it possible to speculate freely at this website? My first impression here is of someone getting flamed for bringing up HAARP and now they are insensitive.

It struck me as a little odd that the capital of the poorest country in the Western hemisphere gets an extremely rare (for that area) 7.3 quake 10 miles off the coast where it could create a tsunami and do land damage. I do know that it is unlikely and all but I'm still curious now about the possibility.

link   
the depth of 10.0 is VERY relevant, and very recurring.
last year, both the italian and the japanese quakes were at exactly 10.0, and these are the only ones i remember, there were more.
it is well worth investigating, 10.0 is a far too frequently recurring depth, even for 'older' data which is clearly no longer merely an estimate. the examples are FAR too many to list here, like an unwelcome guest on any tectonic data sheet. go check it out.

this stinks of haarp, sorry, and my heart goes out to those who are there. and if it is haarp, then it's effing disgusting beyond belief.

link   

reply to post by starshiner

So according to your data, about 140 major quakes(6.0 or more) occur per year. Is anyone curious that we don't hear about them more often?

Magnitude Average Annually
8 and higher 1 ¹
7 - 7.9 17 ²
6 - 6.9 134 ²
5 - 5.9 1319 ²
4 - 4.9 13,000
(estimated)
3 - 3.9 130,000
(estimated)
2 - 2.9 1,300,000
(estimated)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I never said anything about the Indian Earthquake. Honestly, I'm starting to think you're "one of them," because you are trying hard to deflect.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

10.0. indeed. see my previous post ^

[edit on 13-1-2010 by darkcircle2009]
edit to add second line, and to direct the post to wookiep who originally posed the very pertinent question.

10.0 needs investigation.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkcircle2009
the depth of 10.0 is VERY relevant, and very recurring.
last year, both the italian and the Japanese quakes were at exactly 10.0, and these are the only ones i remember, there were more.
it is well worth investigating, 10.0 is a far too frequently recurring depth, even for 'older' data which is clearly no longer merely an estimate. the examples are FAR too many to list here, like an unwelcome guest on any tectonic data sheet. go check it out.

this stinks of haarp, sorry, and my heart goes out to those who are there. and if it is haarp, then it's effing disgusting beyond belief.

So the major fault going under Haiti is not suspect in your mind? You'd rather come up with some fantasy of HAARP targeting a small third world country? For what reason? Make their lives even more harsh? Come on...

Remember Occam's Razor? There is a fault system under that area and it is known to cause EQ's. That just happened.. 1+1=2...

Or maybe UFO's shot their death ray at Haiti....

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

just noticing glaring patterns.

fault lines are obviously easily triggered.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretsauce
Is it possible to speculate freely at this website? My first impression here is of someone getting flamed for bringing up HAARP and now they are insensitive.

Not from me, but I will ask you for data to show how a few watts of energy from a radar array can cause an energy release equal to several nuclear devices.

It struck me as a little odd that the capital of the poorest country in the Western hemisphere gets an extremely rare (for that area) 7.3 quake 10 miles off the coast where it could create a tsunami and do land damage.

It is not rare, 7.3 to 7.5 has a frequency of around 200 years.

The quake was not centered off the coast. Google map data here.

maps.google.com...,-72.4452&spn=2,2&f=d&t=h&hl=e

I do know that it is unlikely and all but I'm still curious now about the possibility.

Close to non-existent.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I never said anything about the Indian Earthquake. Honestly, I'm starting to think you're "one of them," because you are trying hard to deflect.

No, I'm not "one" of anyone, however I have studied tectonics for more than 25 years, the Pacific plate in particular.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkcircle2009
reply to post by Pharyax

just noticing glaring patterns.

fault lines are obviously easily triggered.

Only for Mother Nature

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax

So the major fault going under Haiti is not suspect in your mind? You'd rather come up with some fantasy of HAARP targeting a small third world country? For what reason? Make their lives even more harsh? Come on...

Remember Occam's Razor? There is a fault system under that area and it is known to cause EQ's. That just happened.. 1+1=2...

Or maybe UFO's shot their death ray at Haiti....

No, it was all the VOODOO!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

we are mother nature, in the same way everything else in nature is.

as said, i am merely noticing striking (no pun) patterns, and have not studied tectonics for 25 years. and i would be intrigued to hear a learned opinion on such noticable repetitions in data. i mean that sincerely.

it just seems highly regular. 'unnaturally' so, if you excuse my own contradiction.

and i don't put anything past anyone. sadly.

(edit for typo)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
So far I see people getting all excited about any talk about possible conspiracy. Why are you here (abovetopsecret) then? I'm not intimidated by your "superior" objectivity when you mention something about death rays and such. Luckily I can think for myself and I will ask questions somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by secretsauce

thanks for the support. and let's not forget this is a very serious matter. i'm sure we can all agree that a large scale tragedy has just happened, whatever our opinion on the cause.

it is not the place for tongue poking smileys.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The latest news on the devastating quake in Haiti..

Quake destroys UN's Haiti base

The headquarters of the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti collapsed in Tuesday’s earthquake and a large number of UN personnel are missing, the UN peacekeeping chief said.

At least 11 peacekeepers were reportedly killed, eight from China and three from Jordan.

Alain Le Roy told reporters that UN troops, mostly from Brazil, were trying to rescue people from the wreckage of the five-story building, but “as we speak no one has been rescued from this main headquarters.”

“The main building that was the headquarters building has collapsed,” he said. “We know clearly it is a tragedy for Haiti, and a tragedy for the UN, and especially for the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti.”

I heard on the local (Wash DC) station that some responders from Virginia and California are preparing to leave in support of the rescue/recovery effort..

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join