It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
Thats it I quit!! I have been on my ass 5 times! The irony being that I was going to the shops to buy wellies so I WOULDN'T fall on mys ass!! And I still havent had chance to build a snowman in my garden! Sheeesh! I just think that G-d doesnt want me to have a man in my life be him made of snow or otherwise

Im going to thaw out my poor bruised ass by the fire and start doing shots of hot chocolate; oh, and ice-cream, and chocolate covered chocolate...

cellotape some tennis rackets to your feet, ive seen the sort on tv im sure no one will laugh at you; well no more than they already would watching you slip on your ass.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

You do know when you injure yourself the rule of thumb is RICE ....
Rest Ice Compression and Elevation...

So you need to go back out, pack your bum with snow and stick it up in the air...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

Wheres you compassion sir and sympathy for my poor bruised ass (and ego)??
... Mind you I suppose i DID look funny, arms legs and shopping everywhere... Will teach me for wearing high heels lol, thought I would be safe in a shopping center... Obviously not!!!... Now where did I put my ass salve???

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hahaha... I love this thread... You guys should write comedy... But I will take your advice on board doctor dadbare... Just hope my bum doesnt look big with all that snow stuffed down my slacks... Ever the fashionista lol

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Wheres you compassion sir and sympathy for my poor bruised ass (and ego)??
... Mind you I suppose i DID look funny, arms legs and shopping everywhere... Will teach me for wearing high heels lol, thought I would be safe in a shopping center... Obviously not!!!... Now where did I put my ass salve???

High heels in snow, thats like wearing a tuxedo to go swimming. I went the shop this morning in a pair of converse though, big big mistake by the time i got home my feet were blue.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I never said I wasnt stupid lol.... But I thought i would be safe getting out my car, getting in the shops, getting back to the car with my stuff and then promptly loosing the ability to stay on two feet...

However on the plus side my chocolate covered chocolate is filling the void where my ego used to be.....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I never said I wasnt stupid lol.... But I thought i would be safe getting out my car, getting in the shops, getting back to the car with my stuff and then promptly loosing the ability to stay on two feet...

However on the plus side my chocolate covered chocolate is filling the void where my ego used to be.....

chocolate covered chocolate, unusual combination
. I though sod it im off work put spotify on and opened a bottle of tiger. Snows great, Definitely worth cold feet and a bruised ass.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Here's a wee hint.....*HIKING BOOTS!"*....for everything. I have a not too expensive pair that I bought over 10 years ago for less than £20 in Millets or somewhere, and they grip much better than wellies will ever do. Ok...so the bottom of your breeks get wet, but at least you have a better chance of staying upright.

*Making up another bag of ice for Selahobed's poor bruised bum*

Silly girl...heels indeed.....*shaking head in disapproval*

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

All kidding aside you do have to be careful out on the ice...

Once while wearing thick lugged boots I slipped on the ice and landed on that bone at the base of your neck, right between your shoulder blades...
for about a year afterwards I would get the worse headaches if I turned my head the wrong way or to quickly... be careful out there today, sucks to be hurt

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

OUCH!!!! Made me go cross eyed just reading that!!! Well as per Caitlins instructions I have just ordered some good boots online (well any excuse to shop really!), and I have my new wellies... Nice bright pink ones.. I love them!! But am still laying here with my ass in the air with a mound of snow on it.... Failing to see the benifits of it lol.... Never mind.. Gilmore girls is on and my body chocolate index is steadily improving...

Hope everyone stays safe....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Added another update to OP

Britain had only eight days of gas supplies in storage, based on current usage levels.
worry they may run out

look for link to story on first post in this thread

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm down south and we are getting it pretty hard at the moment, however i am loving it!

Partly because i am a big kid at heart, but mainly because i prepare for it.

Over the past few months i have put effort into stocking food, water, heating supplies, appropriate clothing, a fair bit of salt and grit, and everything that you'd need if the shops were shut or utilities went down.

A little bit of effort now allows me to look after myself, family and any neighbours i need to.

Whilst i appreciate this weather has brought misery to many parts of the UK, i hope it will wake a few people up to the reality that they cannot rely on everyone else to look after you if things get bad.

Most people are ostriches, and deaf to any talk of emergency preparedness. Maybe they'll listen now. I've spoken to so many people who think it's pointless preparing for disasters in the UK, yet now they are moaning because the delivery trucks are struggling to get to the supermarkets.

Forget all the talk of the shops having enough food for a weeks worth of food if the trucks can't get through, our two shops here just had a LATE delivery and the shelves were almost cleared.

I know preparing is not as easy or do-able for some people, but to sit there and think you can survive on thin air and help from the almighty goverment is the height of stupidity if you ask me.

CX.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Good for you...
and if anyone thinks that's silly for you to be prepared remind them that
The National Grid issued a "gas balancing alert" for only the second time ever... there are talking about shutting off gas to some places... lets see how they feel about the Gov... taking care of them then???

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sounds like a good thing if you ask me...

Community spirit will be UP because folks are walking to the LOCAL shops instead of driving to their usual superstore, sweeping eachothers drives, checking on elderly neighbours etc.
Crime would be DOWN because of the traceability (tracks) of criminals and increased difficulty of evasion.
Bosses will be learning the value of workers who would usually commute daily to make them a profit.
Less emmissions from non-used vehicles.
Less waste of food because people can't get new supplies as easily as usual.

It's all part of nature. If after a few million years the human race is still surprised by these events then they will NEVER accept it as part of an annual cycle and those who struggle have nobody to blame but themselves.

Let it snow.
Back to using horses I say.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

From ITN News
Aerial shots of North and South Yorkshire, including Sheffield, Cadbury factory, Hillsborough Stadium, Emmerdale set and Harewood House...

PS someone over there in the UK call up ITN and tell em we Yanks would like them to bring back Primeval ... Now I'll never know if they manage to bring Nick Cutter back to life...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I agree...it's absolutely pathetic.

When i was a kid, around the 1970's, we always had hot drought ridden summers and cold snowy winters.

Occasionally the school boilers would go kaput, and we'd be sent home, but life pretty much went on as normal.

Now, for some obscure reason, we have a foot of snow, and the whole country comes to a grinding halt!

The solution to snow on roads and airport runways, train tracks etc. is SO SIMPLE...yet those in power are apparently too simple to think of it.

All that is required, is a grid of conductive wires an inch or so below the tarmac or concrete surface. Then a small electric current is run through the wire grid, just enough juice to keep the surface at a couple of degrees above ambient. Snow will still fall of course, but could not settle.
Trains are even easier..just attach the 'heating' wires to the tracks, and switch on...no snow could settle.

OK, initially it would cost to install, but with solar and wind powering these grids, would mean it would be very green and economical.

Roads are resurfaced everywhere roads exist, if they added this wire grid heating, and then tarmac over the top one or two inches, it would cost hardly anything.

Too easy, i expect.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Strange isn't it?

Only yesterday Gordon Brown stated that Britain has enough power supplies and fuel to see us through the winter...today they are saying there isn't are they?

I also saw on the local news that there is ample salt and grit supplies to last out, but today (again) they are reporting that they may run out soon.

Anyone else getting fed up to the back teeth of all this double talk from those running the show? It's not just the saying one thing one day, and saying something completely different the following day, it's the fact that NOBODY seems to hold these berks to account for it!

Moan over.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Its the deepest snow i have seen in my lifetime

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
it's fun, it's slowing everything down - it's being dramatised - it gives the news something DEFINITE to talk about every year, kids are going to think the snow's out to get them. The canadians would be laughing.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
to all the people laughing at britain: i really dont believe this has anything to do with our abillity not to cope, sure some councils have neglected to prepare for the cold weather and as such have been caught short but i honestly think that the whole shut down of the country is due to most people barely even trying to make it to work. they see snow and give up on work for the day entirely. some of my friends heard this snow could last until the end of the weekend and were planning what to do instead of work without even trying to get in. as one person said earlier the snow is actually not too bad to drive in if you are sensible, its the icy roads we experienced before christmas that are the real danger.
I guess my point is that we are using it as an excuse to shut down. blame apathy and laziness...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join