It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I was up your way, in Birkenhead until Sunday and I was surprised at how mild it was compared to down here. I couldn't believe there was still snow and frost on the ground when I got back, lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm on a farm in the middle of Oxfordshire, we've had about half a foot of snow and it's still coming down, I have no chance of getting my car out of the farm yard, and even if I did the road at the end of it isn't gritted, I’m snowed in big time, I just hope the lekky doesn't go, last night we had lots of firework like explosions due to a power box shorting out, the lights kept dimming and nearly went out at one point, if I loose power out here me and mine are in trouble...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I'm just down the road from good old Birkenhead at the moment, Bromborough to be exact. Yes, it was pretty mild and then in the space of a single night all hell broke loose!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

We had a foot of snow yesterday in yorkshire and around 2-3 inches today, but that's probably it for this year. It'll take a week to melt because of the maximum -1 and minimum -6 temps for a while. It's nothing compared to snow in eastern europe and asia, it's just that people don't listen and don't go out prepared.

Londoner's get it bad today and tomorrow, and there'll be even more unprepared for it no doubt.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i am in darwen in the north west lancashire and i have been snowed in for two days now it is over 12 inches deep and the wind is making drifts even deeper . the main roads are reasonable but most of the minor roads are a problem .
weather wise where i am here in the north west we don,t really get a summer but the winter is usualy mild . the winter we have at the moment reminds me of the winters we used to get back in the early sixtys

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Reply to: everyone who posted

I have to say I have enjoyed this thread immensely. No Im not making fun of you folks in the least.

I live in the U.S. in the midwest, by noon today we will be experiencing what you are experiencing right now. Heavy snow, snow blowing winds white outs, and extremely low temps. Down into the -negatives.

It has been interesting to hear how other folks from other countries cope when winter weather hits.

Me- it hasnt started to snow yet, but I have chosen to work at the home office so to speak and telecommute. In the next hour or so Ill be headed to the shop to get pick up a few things, and Ill be listening to the radio to see if they let school out for my little one. Snowed in days are a cause for celebration in our house. We play outside, watch movies, and cook special meals. If the power goes out, so what. we have a wood stove for heat, oil lamps, a fully charged laptop for movies and a full freezer, and at temps like these to keep food frozen all we have to do is take it outside.

Those of you across the pond havent had weather like this in years, your going to have to relearn how to deal with it. Lots of layers of clothing, all weather tires, some goodies in the larder, and some advance planning and you should be good.

As far as taking care of the roads over here, they wait until the snow stops to blade and put down cinders and salt.

I wish you folks the best of luck, and hope that this bit of snow makes for a better prep next year

Hope everyone is well

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I have to say it's not really about the snow.
I live down a private track which gets icy and slippy and it's becoming worse each winter. 8 years ago when I moved here, you might be stuck a couple of days in the year. Last February we had a solid fortnight of being stuck. This winter it happened in December and now it is happening again. Only 4 wheel drives can get up or down and even some of those are struggling. Some of us got towed out at the weekend and are up at the top on a piece of land.
These days the track is not thawing out during the day. That's the problem, that's the change. It means that we (and others in isolated spots) are going to have to make real lifestyle changes to prepare for the winter.
As for keeping the main roads safe and clear, Britain's excuse for a poor performance has always been the infrequency of the conditions. I think they might have to re-evaluate that!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
No disrespect intended, but, I find this hilarious. I'm from Western Pennsylvania in the US. I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for a few years and couldn't believe how 1/4 inch of snow shut things down. To you in the UK this is an event, to me right now this is Wednesday.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Go back to the very first post for an update its the second story

The snow was still falling in London and across the UK today, and the Met Office is predicting six more days of deluges for parts of Britain, with temperates plummeting to generate treacherous driving conditions

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I am confused,

Yesterday they talk about Global warming, but today here comes the heaviest snow in 50 years

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
No disrespect intended, but, I find this hilarious. I'm from Western Pennsylvania in the US. I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for a few years and couldn't believe how 1/4 inch of snow shut things down. To you in the UK this is an event, to me right now this is Wednesday.

I lived up in Wyoming for many years even worked in Alaska ... know what you mean about a little snow freaking people out... I'm here in Albuquerque now and if we get a light dusting the locals start to panic... however their storm is more like a nor'easter this one looks to be really bad... something they never get

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Lived and worked in snow country for many years, and I find it amusing and more than a little scarey, to watch people who aren't used to it try and cope...

Seattle, Washington is a prime example, three inches and the city comes to a complete stop, utter chaos... Funny if it weren't so dangerous... 'cause the morons come out to play.

To all of you dealing with this...

Take your time. Nothings worth risking life and limb...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

OMG you sexist idiot, oh blame all the accidents on female drivers, what about you males in your cars speeding, boys with thier little toys hmmms.

As for the weather have seen worse than this before in the UK. We should take stock on how other countries, like Norway/Denmark etc, deal with these conditions.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That's...not alot of snow? Maybe I'm biased, coming from a small town that gets 60-80 feet of snow a year though

When I was in school I could only dream of the school being closed to save me from wading through 6 feet of snow on the road to get to the bus, let alone a couple inches!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Well i can assure i am not sexist. maybe an idiot from time to time! I know there are probably plenty of blokes out there who think the're the best drivers on the planet, even in snow. Arrogance at its best.

The comment made was from my personal experience. I was out on the road this morning and it was trecherous to be fair, but with a little extra due care nothing that could not be negotiated. I encountered 4 people carriers all driven by females that skidded or spun in front of me, simply because they were driving too fast or possibly not thinking far enough ahead.

There were kids inside, thankfully no-one was hurt. You would have thought that would give you more incentive to take more care.

Maybe the kids were playing up?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Once all the fun of playing in the snow as gone, and the ground is waterlogged and the drains can not cope with the melt water, how many of you will take the time to question where all our taxes goes, both nationally and locally, and ask hard questions of our national and local elected leaders?

We pay taxes, so the various tiers of Government can ensure that we can go about our business. If they can not ensure roads are salted/gritted/cleared of snow and ice, then surely this is fraud. We are being ripped off by all tiers of Government if they fail to keep the roads clear.

Do not accept the excuse that I have already had, that is is freak weather. This has been forecast for several days, and as I have replied. We pay you via our taxes to be prepared.

We have poor managers running our local councils, who get paid serious sums of money to fail us. Hassle them and maybe one day, they might realise who feeds them.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Al Gore the climate messiah? (we call that weather Al)..... God will not be mocked.

Look around the globe, record cold everywhere. Freemasonic-owned DC took almost 1.5 feet of snow a couple of weeks ago (around satanic x'mas)..... state of NC in the midst of record-breaking cold right now.

God will not be mocked.

We have less than 20 years left folks.... it will be a ride that's never been, nor ever will be again..... Crystals, channeling, nor planet X will/can save you....get right w/ Jesus.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Originally posted by R-evolve
Still its got me off work
happy days.

What good is a day off work (without pay, probably having to waste a vacation day) when you can't go anywhere because of the snow? Sounds like a bummer to me. One of these days it may start to snow for 40 days and 40 nights and then ya'll will have the next 1000 years off from work, ha.
That kind of snow has happened on Earth before, and suddenly and unexpectedly too. I'm starting to wonder if England will even have a summer this year. Anyone around here old enough to remember 1816 besides me?

I still get paid im on salary, awesome. If snow persists in the uk for years then ill become mr plough.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Thats it I quit!! I have been on my ass 5 times! The irony being that I was going to the shops to buy wellies so I WOULDN'T fall on mys ass!! And I still havent had chance to build a snowman in my garden! Sheeesh! I just think that G-d doesnt want me to have a man in my life be him made of snow or otherwise

Im going to thaw out my poor bruised ass by the fire and start doing shots of hot chocolate; oh, and ice-cream, and chocolate covered chocolate...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
FYI to all in reference to 1816
From Wikipedia

The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year and the Year There Was No Summer) was 1816, in which severe summer climate abnormalities destroyed crops in Northern Europe, the Northeastern United States and eastern Canada.[1][2] Historian John D. Post has called this "the last great subsistence crisis in the Western world".[3]

Most consider the climate anomaly to have been caused by a combination of a historic low in solar activity and a volcanic winter event; the latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped off by the Mount Tambora eruption of 1815, the largest known eruption in over 1,600 years.

I had to look it up too

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaddyBare]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join