It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just saw some of the videos and compared to what we got here in Denmark it's basically nothing, Jutland in Denmark got hit hard.

Check out these photos from Denmark, dated 4th January to the 6th:
galleri.tv2.dk...

Found some videos:

EDIT:
Should state, it's pretty normal in Denmark that we get a lot of snow sometimes.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DwaynetheSpecious]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You know it’s always supposed to be cold and snowy in places like England during the winter. This is not news or a tragedy!

However here in Miami where it’s NEVER supposed to be cold in the winter, we are in a 5th straight day of a record cold snap. It might not even reach the mid 50’s today.

How can people complain that they can’t get to work or school or the store because of the snow when I can’t go the beach!

Could we please try to get our priorities straight here people!

The English are supposed to suffer in this fashion while clearly the good people of Miami are supposed to be at the beach!

Something dark, and sinister and very cold is preventing that from happening. I smell a conspiracy of Orwellian proportions.

The Snowbird haven for much of the civilized world is under a frigid attack and the water is currently down to 61 degrees in the ocean.

Could we please focus on what’s really important instead of all this incessant whining about England!

Warmth must be restored to Miami post haste or the civilized world as I know it shall grind to a halt. Do you people actually understand that normally scantily clad super models are being forced to put on clothes here right now?

As usual the media is distracting you all from the gravest problem!

[edit on 6/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i think the weather in britain is actually really good if you look at it, its never TOO hot or TOO cold, no killer storms or animals, plenty of water - then we complain about the way things are working now we complain about how they have stopped working ...what, if anything we should rejoice and let people sit back and have a think for once.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
LOL excellent my european brothers and sisters welcome to winter! I take it for granted here in Canada that every place would be prepared for snow fall but having plows and what not on hand when you rarely get snow doesnt make much fiscal sense. All I can say you probably got our weather because our winter has been pretty mild at least where I am. We had four feet earlier this year up in hunsville but everyones ready for it in that area.

I love how it brings strangers together. Nothing like pushing a car out of the white glop to bring people together eh?

Hope everyone keeps safe across the pond and use those low gears if you must drive. Cheers everyone!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This winter in Britain has been the coldest winter in 30 years, we have had very heavy snowfalls and the videos on the frontpage doesnt really reflect how bad it has really been in some parts (8 foot snowdrifts)...

We also only have 8 days of stored gas remaining because of our -8 -> -20 temperatures.

Although this weather is VERY unusual for the UK and i dont care what anyone says, we only had weather like this properly around 30-40 years ago, the experts say its global warming.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think everyone who bitches about how crap Britain is at dealing with weather should give it a rest. The UK is in a unique position. We are at the meeting point of five of the world's major weather systems. Not many people realise this but we have more tornados a year per square mile than the USA. We have no where near the most severe weather but we do have amongst the most unpredictable and changeable weather. We have massively warm winters for our latitude compared with both continental Europe and North America. We also may have many wet days a year but our annual rainfall is modest at best.

Where I live we had two inches overnight and that is the most snow we've had since the end of the 70's. Last week was the first time in ten years that I had a frost in the morning. So is it any wonder we're not geared up to snow. How would California or Australia deal with bush fires if they didn't happen for thirty years? In the places that get regular snow they cope just fine.

Anyway....blame HAARP they tried to fix it so this severe weather stopped any demonstrations at copenhagen before xmas, but weather modification is an inexact science.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Can't say the snow is causing any problems in this part of England (South Coast) most seem to be having fun sledging on the southdowns building snow men or lurching down the pub.

I hear we are getting another 4-6" tonight so should be more fun tomorrow, bunking off work and playing with the kids seems to be the No1 priority right now ;-)

not heard anyone moan (yet) and we those pansy southerners

Edit to add: Not to mention the deadliest avalanche in recorded British history happened on this part of the south coast and the drifts where around 15ft

www.information-britain.co.uk...

BTW the Snowdrop is a really good pub

[edit on 6/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The main reason why britain struggles dealing with this is because we never had it before for many many many years, so it doesnt make sence to have lots of snow plowers because it would be a total waste of money, so instead now this has happened we are all burried under is, but most brits are used to # weather so we just deal with it, you do get some moaners though that use it as an excuse not to walk 2 miles to work!

PS: can any of you well equiped countrys that deal with snow lend us some Grit?? we are running out of that aswell hahahaha, england is falling apart!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The military has been called in? Ive heard it all now.

The snow might not be a usual occurance if we look back say 20 years. But in my area at least (east midlands) we've had pretty decent snowfalls for the last 3 years.. Although this is the first one to occur so close to christmas.

I understand how frustrating the situation must be for people getting to work and whatnot.. but I cant tell you how funny I find it that yesterday in my town we had traffic jams miles long, all buses & trains were cancelled, and so were taxi's. Its just a bit of snow! God knows what would happen if we were to experience a heavy rainfall in the next few days, people would think the world was coming to an end.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
The main reason why britain struggles dealing with this is because we never had it before for many many many years, so it doesnt make sence to have lots of snow plowers because it would be a total waste of money, so instead now this has happened we are all burried under is, but most brits are used to # weather so we just deal with it, you do get some moaners though that use it as an excuse not to walk 2 miles to work!

PS: can any of you well equiped countrys that deal with snow lend us some Grit?? we are running out of that aswell hahahaha, england is falling apart!

I actually saw a gritter lorry go through my town today.. I was really shocked, I am sure it must have been some kind of mirage.. (can you get mirages in the snow?) and I had to ask my partner to pinch me

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
lol, this makes me chuckle. I live in Canada (a mild part of it at that) and we (who should be used to it) have similar problems even when we have a light dusting of snow. Mostly this is not due to infrastructure as the salters and plows are out in force as usual but the problem lies in the inexperience or ignorance of drivers who are new to the Country. Driving in the snow is only common sense and as far as I can tell not many drivers have any. My favourite is seeing stupid SUV drivers who think they can plow though anything as they pass me on the highway and then I see them in the ditch a few km later
. Drive slow according to the conditions, stay off the bumper ahead of you, be polite and let people change lanes as they'll need more time to do so etc. Put the tunes on and eventually you'll get there alive and well.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

The military has been called in? Ive heard it all now.

Funny, I know but it happens here too. I'm thinking that Cities typically work with a budget for plowers and salters based on the average snowfall. BUT when an above average amount of snow falls and several days in a row, they have and do call in the military to help.

I'd rather have them doing that then fighting anyway

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
OMG you sexist idiot, oh blame all the accidents on female drivers, what about you males in your cars speeding, boys with thier little toys hmmms

I worked at a ski area. If it was snowing we had to get our butts to work cause it meant it was going to be a busy day. I drove my 2 wheel drive 65 short bed Chevy up that mountain everyday and that was after I got out of the 8 miles of gravel road in my land development. I am a woman and I did this everyday for work by myself. I never crashed or got stranded. Worth mentioning the mud was far worse than the snow. I prefer snow.

It's sad people are not prepared for this. If you're stranded in your car carbon monoxide can get you quicker than the cold. Keep that tail pipe clear. I keep a bag of warm clothes, blankets, food you name it in my truck. Kitty litter, shovels & tools can help too. Chains can be a pain if your not careful you can trash them if you hit patches of clear pavement. Lots of weight over the wheels can help too. Offer rides to your heavy weight friends.

I hope you all stay warm and don't run out of heating fuel. A wood stove is our only source of heat. In bad weather we sometimes loose our electricity, propane trucks have a hard time getting through snow packed county roads. The wood stove makes more sense for us. Extreme conditions is not the time to get stupid or over confident.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Tips for Winter Driving.

I live in BC and we get lots of snow every year.

1. Drive slower than posted speed limit. These speeds are for ideal conditions only.

2. Keep ur distance from the car in front of u. Give urself lots of time to stop.
3. When stopping, give the brakes light pumps instead of just pressing down hard til u stop. If u do light pumps on the brakes, they wont lock up, and u'll have a little more control.
4. Give urself lots of extra time to get to and from work, being in a rush always leads to chaos and accidents.
5. When starting out, only lightly press down on gas pedal or u'll just sit there and spin. also get some winter tires, not just all season, they dont work that well in deep snow and ice.
6. If u have a 2 wheel drive car or truck (rear wheel drive), put a bunch of sandbags in the back for extra weight. Be careful that its not something that could potentially tear ur head off if u get in an accident. Another thing i do is snowblow a bunch of snow into the back of my pickup. A good way to add weight especially if it warms up a bit, the snow will get heavier.
7. Don't drink and drive.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by decadence
I am confused,

Yesterday they talk about Global warming, but today here comes the heaviest snow in 50 years

That's how global warming works. Everything melts, that changes the weather patterns, and then earths thermostats kick the AC on to refreeze it all AGAIN. It's all cyclical. Another long-winter is coming, that's all. What's happening today is no different than what has happened before as we begin to cross through to the other side of the galactic equatorial plane. Yeah, when the next ice age suddenly hits THAT will be the end of most ya'll, just like how the short-cycle seasons here kill off most the mosquitoes every year. Don't worry about it though, it's all natural and cyclical and totally expected. BTW, you have 673 days left before the next ice age is on TOP of us all.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

I was going to joke about you wearing high heels and falling over,and then I saw that you realy did!lol ahh bless

hope your bruises are going down, have to admit I like the idea of you thawing out near the fire

Had a day off work today too,very rare!Even gave the lads the day off by phone in the morning as it was pretty nasty out here in the sticks and it was still snowing

Last time it snowed like this was in march last year in wiltshire and this damm hill stopped every one.Seeing someone who had the same car as me spinnning like crazy and getting nowhere half the way up I decided that I wouldnt bother this morning.Had an early morning walk to the shop to see what the main roads were like and came straight back home

got an outdoor gig this saturday night,I hope the roads clear up and it warms up slightly.Guitars/icy cold and numb fingers is not a great mix!

To the americans out there,we can cope lads!Driving in the snows a doddle untill you get steep hillls with no grit!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Somewhere right now Al Gore is slapping his forehead and saying "Doh".

What more proof do people need that this GW garbage is not even worth talking about?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I guess the Global Warming Loons are having a hard time getting to
work at the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in
Norwich, England. Do you live near there?
It's poetic. They can't get to work to sell us Global Warming because
a mountain of snow is blocking their way.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Don't you guys all take the day off for an inch of snow usually anyway?

This is just funny lol.

I wish you could all come to the maritimes and suffer just one of our "mild" winters, you'd be very happy to have your 40 centimeters of snow every 20 years lol.

We've acumulated that much in about 2 weeks here.

Silly Brits lol

On a serious note though, I definetly understand how you would not be prepared for such weather, and I certainly hope it does not cause any long term issues.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The problem is the in recent years we;ve seen winters get milder and milder with less and less snow. Sooner or later we all knoew a winter like this was going to come along - it's effectively a once in a generation event. So no-one can cope.

When winters like this were common then the sort of snow most of us have seen wouldn't have led to much problems at all. I only ever once had a day off school due to the weather - despite longer, colder, snowier spells of weather. And that was only because the bus nver turned up and I decided to go round a friend's house instead of walking the 2 miles to school (which, of course, was open).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join