It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

If you need a hand applying your "ass salve", I am ready and willing to do my bit

Here in Berkshire, we currently have about 18inches when undisturbed, although the roads are mostly open if a little icy. You just have to be careful and not drive like a muppet.

The media has sensationalised the weather somewhat, but to be honest it's not that bad.

Some rural communities may be islolated for a bit, but if things got really bad, the RAF and Army would be called in to distribute supplies or rescue people.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
I actually saw a gritter lorry go through my town today.. I was really shocked, I am sure it must have been some kind of mirage.. (can you get mirages in the snow?) and I had to ask my partner to pinch me

Yes, you can get mirages in snow..So you never know, it might have all been a figment of your imagination!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Don't you guys all take the day off for an inch of snow usually anyway?

That's it, for the most part. Alot of people where I work have bunked off due to "snow", but the roads (Motorways and A-roads at least) are perfectly open and passable.

I walked 4 miles home this morning after a night shift, babysat the kids (because the school was closed) and have now walked the 4 miles back to work for my night shift. Alot of people, however, will use it as an excuse to bunk off.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
This winter in Britain has been the coldest winter in 30 years, we have had very heavy snowfalls and the videos on the frontpage doesnt really reflect how bad it has really been in some parts (8 foot snowdrifts)...

Winter is only half way through so how can it be said to be the coldest "for 30 years". It sounds like selective statistics to make a story more dramatic than it is!

On topic. I live in the sticks in beautiful Wiltshire. It snowed last year and the road got blocked. Oh look, it has snowed this year and the road has got blocked. Big deal. The problem is not that it snows and roads get blocked, but (a) the townies (in London) are surprsied when snow falls over their polluted city so need to make it into some extraordinary "once in a lifetime" event and (b) the townies in their fat cars cannot drive in snow - you can bet that the "hundreds" of cars stuck on roads overnight were because some moron crashed as he tried to work out which button on his Range Rover set the four wheel drive for "snow".

Regards

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

We have snow here, its not that deep; about 1 inch. Our city has came to a "stand still"
You know why? Because the city councils have not sent out the gritting machines. Guess what? They did not need them anyway.

I can see all the cars passing just fine. I live in the top of the mountain too.

Its all GLOBAL WARMING PROPAGANDA.

My electricity has been out all day, when it went out I was watching a video on one of my 1TB hard drives, the power outage corrupted my files on my hard drive and I have not tested them yet.

How am I typing this and online while everyone in my district have not even got a light bulb on?

...easy, I own a generator and I laugh at all the infidels who don't even have candles. They are so dependent on the system.

On TV here, nothing but news reports stating how bad the weather is, its not bad at all. BBC News even did a "live" 30minute talk show regarding how bad the weather is, mentioning global warming etc. Its sickening, I can see threw their BS, but nobody else can in my country. I even phoned the radio station and said to them that 11 years of my work has been lost on my 1TB hard drive due to the electricity turning off. I asked them if I could sue to N.I.E. (Northern Ireland Electricity Board), they did not reply or even mention anything on the radio and they usually do.

Well, last year the same thing happened, only last year I lost 200GB and a fully working gaming computer. N.I.E. turned the electricity on and off constantly, it fried my computer and my computer is still sitting in my other room gathering dust.

The electricity outages have ruined about £2,500 worth of equipment on me in the last 2 years.

The electricity going out never had any explanation, its to get people angry, its to get people arguing, its to get people complaining about the COLD (no heating, no electricity, snow outside).

ITS TO GET PEOPLE SUCKED INTO THE IDEA OF GLOBAL WARMING - ITS ALL PROPAGANDA!

(Yay first post since my ban, sorry to those who have awaited replies from me)

EDIT: Two years ago we had nearly 2 foot of snow, I built a 9ft 3 tier snowman and everyone loved it. Not once was Global Warming mentioned, not once during this time was there a power outage and the news did not cover it like they are now! This weather is nothing compared to what we had 2 years ago. The media has never once mentioned the snow conditions of two years ago and THEY CONTINUE TO LIE about this current weather being the worst in decades. Its all false, its all lies and its all apart of their stepping stone to a New World Order.

Viva Eco-NWO

Its not the worst weather in 20 years or 30 years. I have lived here all my life and this is NOTHING! I feel like going public lol.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by the_denv]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Don't mind me saying but...

It's snow.

I've spent hours shoveling worse than what the Brits got!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Don't you guys all take the day off for an inch of snow usually anyway?

That's it, for the most part. Alot of people where I work have bunked off due to "snow", but the roads (Motorways and A-roads at least) are perfectly open and passable.

I walked 4 miles home this morning after a night shift, babysat the kids (because the school was closed) and have now walked the 4 miles back to work for my night shift. Alot of people, however, will use it as an excuse to bunk off.

Most of my town has bunked off work and we really didn't get any snow (just enough to play in) but given that it is a port town, weather is never really a problem... but a dammed fine excuse..

"honest guv, it was the wrong type of snow"

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The last time I recall it being quite bad was January 1982 when I was 11 (now 39) but I have to admit its been a long long time in the UK since its been this bad but still compared to other countries this is not much.

As an alternate to salt and gravel people are also now using Cat Litter for grip purposes (the correct type of course) to compensate.

I am, although this may not please everyone as I work from home quite pleased to see it like this for once (once so often isn't that bad) although this country seems to be seriously under prepared and doesn't seem to learn lessons from the other countries that deal with this kind of situation on a daily basis.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by excelents]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Its not just the U.K its the entire northern hemisphere

WOTS GOING ON?

link   
I love it - spent the day sledging and having some good-ol-fun and it's now got me really in the mood for my boarding get-away to Austria in a couple of weeks...much more snow and a country setup to deal with it.

I guess if this is a new cycle of winters then we may get some new equipment to handle the new volume of snow.

I'm a few miles away from the A3 and just thought 'wow' to all those cars stranded over-night.....

I'm up for more snow for the weekend please...

link   

Originally posted by excelents
The last time I recall it being quite bad was January 1982 when I was 11 (now 39) but I have to admit its been a long long time in the UK since its been this bad but still compared to other countries this is not much.

As an alternate to salt and gravel people are also now using Cat Litter for grip purposes (the correct type of course) to compensate.

I am, although this may not please everyone as I work from home quite pleased to see it like this for once (once so often isn't that bad) although this country seems to be seriously under prepared and doesn't seem to learn lessons from the other countries that deal with this kind of situation on a daily basis.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by excelents]

I worked at Crowborough Military base back in the 80s and they sent the Army home while us contractors had to continue working... was so much fun having a base all to ourselves.. I learnt to drive in the snow (mostly by ending up in the ditches) lol

I wish I had an open space now to spin and slide my car now.. that was so much fun

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
Its not just the U.K its the entire northern hemisphere

WOTS GOING ON?

That so sounds like a line out of 'The day after tomorrow'....

love it

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
I love it - spent the day sledging and having some good-ol-fun ..

Yeah, we heard about the fun ya'll are having over there on your impromptu snow-day off from work, ha.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by decadence
I am confused,

Yesterday they talk about Global warming, but today here comes the heaviest snow in 50 years

Global warming is bull! It's just a sham for the NWO and superpowers to tax the everyday Joe Bloggs some more.

I'm near Aberdeen in Scotland. Yes we have a lot of snow here but it's no big deal. I have a Mitsubishi L200 4x4. No probs. I haven't even cleared my driveway. I just run over the snow.

But England doesn't have as much snow as us. And they are at a standstill. They are just not used to it. We are!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Its all hyped up to brainwash Europe into accepting a Global Warming TAX, including the brownouts in Belfast. Its all apart of the plan.

We had worse snow 2 years ago by approx x20.

People will have no problem paying G.W. TAX since they are listening to all these lies

Worst in 20 years? LMFAO!
Worst in 30 years? LMFAO! x2
Worst in 50 years? Its not funny any more, the people here would believe anything

First time in my life I was able to build a 9ft snowman was 2 years ago, NOTHING will EVER top that!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
We had our summer on a tuesday afternoon this year in the UK, that was followed by very heavy rains which devastated my home county of Cumbria and caused a bridge to collapse in my home town, Workington, (which sadly resulted in the death of a well respected police officer who was standing on it trying to stop people crossing in their cars, he was swept into the sea) and i said towards the end that i bet we were in for the coldest winters we have ever seen, boy was i right.

I honestly believe we are heading towards an ice age, or a mini ice age. It has been proven that they occur every few hundred centuries (the mini ones). With the lack of solar activity over the past couple of years I honestly wouldn't be suprised. It's like someone said, the entire northern hemisphere is feeling this intense cold sweeping over.

For the conspiracy nuts......2012 is only 2 years away (lol, sorry, had to drop that in).

Only time will tell.

edited to say: Global warming theorists can kiss my cold frostbitten bum. lol.

[edit on 6/1/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Nice and snowy down here in hants!
im living right on the coast, can see the isle of wight from my window, and i havent seen snow like this in my town for 14 years, its really nice to see such a rarity.and we may have another week of it? thats great, i can get to work nd back, where theres a will theres a way!
Apparently its caused by a large high pressure front blocking the warm air currents we recieve from the gulf stream.
May have to go sledding down buckland rings if the snow keeps.shame about the explosion of wussiness at all levels up and down the country though, gives me a laugh still.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hans kammler

Oh i'm loving it, i'm used to the cold with living up here, your right about the wussiness, a little bit of snow and the country grinds to a halt? whats that about. Not prepared thats what it is. The UK is very unpredictable when it comes to the weather as it is (apparently thats why most brits talk about it so much), but when extreme weather happens everyone panics. I'll refer back to what happened here in Cumbria a couple of month back with the flooding and everything, everybody pulled together, there was no panicking or anything, and we all pulled through it still smiling. I think it's mainly the built up city areas where confusion and panic strike the most.

Can I ask, is the the isle of Wight white? lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I started this thread called :
"Norway Spiral ??? Worst snow - Coldest weather in 20 years here in Scotland"

I think i might have been onto something.

this is the worst weather in a generation.
right after this spiral buisness in Norway.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

For the conspiracy nuts......2012 is only 2 years away (lol, sorry, had to drop that in).

You "had to drop that in"?

You couldn't be closer to the truth. Do you know why the real conspiracy theorists look at 2012?

1) Its the end of the Piscean Age.
2) Our Sun is going to be astrologically aligned with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
3) Our Solar System will be in a "mini-ice-age" from 2012 until 2150 AD due to our Solar System not being in ANY age/aeon. 2012 is not the Age of Aquarius, 2150AD is the Age of Aquarius. The Age of Pisces ENDS on 2012, but since the Age of Aquarius does not start (fully) until 2150AD that means our Solar System is in "no-mans-land" (so to speak).
4) The HUE of the Age of Aquarius (2012AD-2150AD) WILL be a mini-ice age, in the cold edges of space.

So, you "having to throw that in"....thinking that it was sarcastic. You actually hit the nail on the head without knowing it. It has EVERYTHING to do with 2012.

Nothing to do with Nibiru/2012 lol (I am guessing that is what your sarcasm was aimed at)? If so, I agree, Nibiru has nothing to do with 2012, infact its not even called Nibiru, its called Marduk and its all hyped up and full of misinformation. Who cares about Nibiru/Marduk anyway? Its not as if we can prevent a Brown Dwarf from doing anything, not even with the entire nuclear power of the entire Earth. lol.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by the_denv]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join