It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does Above Top Secret handle forum gangs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It has come to my attention that their are individuals that work in concert to distort truth and disrupt threads. I have read that forum gangs are not allowed here but I have also noticed that the friends and foe list kind of condones it too. Not that a forum gang needs to rely on a friends and foe list. Most of those I notice working together to muck things up are not listed on each others lists but can often be found together in the same threads.

I know the mods are not gods at that you rely upon us to help you identify problems but how do we help you identify forum gangs? While I see them work in conjunction to distort facts and disrupt threads I do not see them cussing. I do see them insult but the level of the insults leveled may be with in the tolerable levels of what is acceptable here. I do not think a mod would want to act against someone for a "reading comprehension" insult or a "conspiracy nut" generalization. I can understand and that is not what prompts me to write this. What prompts me to write this are the individuals acting in pairs or groups that target specific articles and the members that post on things supportive of said articles.

Do we hit the alert button on both members? Do we write to a moderator specifically about our observations? How should we help with something like this? What can we do?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hit the alert button or use ATS Complaint / Suggestion Form – Use This Link.

[edit on January 3rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flakey
Do we hit the alert button on both members? Do we write to a moderator specifically about our observations? How should we help with something like this? What can we do?

The friends list is just that "Friends" I have many on mine that I constantly debate and argue with.

If you feel that a reply on a post is "Off topic" or does not follow the "T & C" then by all means hit the Alert button. However if you are simply upset by a contrary opinion being posted then there is not much you can do about it.

Please remember this is a conspiracy site after all.

I see ATS members hiding under my bed sometimes.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I knew we had delinquents, prisoners, and many kinds but gangs???

No, they like the outdoors better.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I see ATS members hiding under my bed sometimes.

Obviously the ones on your Foe list...

On Topic:

Hit the Alert button...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I know I can hit the alert button. I have read about that in the gods are not mods thread. What I was wondering is how to deal with a situation where I see pairs or groups of people who consistently work in tandem to distort facts and mess with members thus promoting ignorance rather than denying it.

Other members may have seen this to and may understand exactly what I am talking about. It is not that these individuals are swearing or posting outrageous insults. Their libel is normally "soft core" but their distortion of facts can be outlandish and when they work together to attack members it can really discourage a persons interest in contributing quality material or any material for that matter.

If I would hit the alert button would I push it on both members I find working together? Also how could I show that with one alert? What I talk about here something that shows up over time and multiple posts and threads and not in one single posting. It seems like it is a complicated problem and I do not know how to address it or what , if anything, can be done about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
*nevermind, bad suggestion. Did not see GEL post about the Form*

[edit on 4-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well their is no need to be mean about it. The alert button is not to confusing to use. I was just wondering if their was any specific protocol for handling forum gangs. I guess you do have a point about writing the moderators about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Just presenting an alternative option to the alert button. Not being mean.
You're reading too much into this... me thinks...

ETA:
Nevermind... I didn't notice that GreeyEyedLeo posted the link to the form...

[edit on 3-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flakey
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well their is no need to be mean about it. The alert button is not to confusing to use. I was just wondering if their was any specific protocol for handling forum gangs. I guess you do have a point about writing the moderators about it.

Use this link
ATS Complaint / Suggestion Form
And write out a detailed explanation of what you believe you are seeing.

People having a friends and foe list is not indictive to forum gangs. But if you do suspect this happening which yes, is against T&C:

2d.) Forum Gangs: You will not engaged in an organized collaboration with other members to disrupt thread topics or interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion.

...use the complaint form so that your complaint is seen by all staff.

[edit on January 3rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I would like to add that there are those on here that have very different viewpoints than the majority on certain subjects.

When I see that one of these viewpoints are being presented that I believe in, and the thread is mostly presenting the opposite viewpoint, I will add a post that tends to support what I believe. This is not ganging up, or trying to derail a thread, but to show that there are others that support the opposing view.

It could be that is what you are seeing and mistaking for "gang" activity.
Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ah Ha! Ok then. Thanks GEL!

@ Skadi, Thats OK. I miss things too sometimes. No worries.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Off topic: your ever-changing avatars are cracking me up.. it's like a fireworks show.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Why cant I star you??? I gave you a flag, AND I agree 100%

However, I wonder how effective the alert button is. Has any one used it and received any results?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

However, I wonder how effective the alert button is. Has any one used it and received any results?
Oh, it works like a charm. Just give them a few minutes to see what the problem is and they will tale care of you fairly.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I knew we had delinquents, prisoners, and many kinds but gangs???

B-T-S Mutterer's YO! Can I get a whazup!?! Left side politics in da Hizouse!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Gangs?

Or just people who are getting to "somewhat" know each other through ATS?

I mean...if two members love reading UFO stories, but both hate disinfo or scammery in the UFO field, isn't it likely both would begin to bang into each other often enough?

Seriously.

On a related matter, where does one go to report overly paranoid people on a conspiracy site?

Heh...

Gangs are possibly not at large on ATS.

Like minded folks getting to know each other through the use of this community, is probably something more rooted to truth.

I could be wrong...so let us all watch for gang colors, symbols of affiliation and secret hand shakes.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
ATS has an excellent moderation team who will systematically investigate and take action upon any claims of nastiness. But buyer beware! You get the wrong mod and you waste their time it's bye bye for a while.

ATS also has a batch of Sasquatch for back-up in case times get too heavy.

But Mr Mask is pretty much right, similar people, similar interests, opposing opinions pop in the oven for 15 days and you'e got a big pile of BOOM!

-m0r

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
'They' ban anyone who shows a modicum of dissent; so much for 'deny ignore' & 'free speech'.

If people want to talk god#e, then so be it. A solution would be to have parent/child nodes for discussion, so people can derail to their hearts content.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by Flakey

Never have used the Alert button or would i assume that i would need to use it. In any case moderators are very often enough all over threads or posts which i partake in so the likely derailing of a thread is kind of new to me.

I think the people behind the monitoring of this site are doing a fine job, but lets not forget, they are human and humans do have flaws.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by tristar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join