It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
go on you all you need is a windows pc or linux

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I cancelled my cable 10 years ago. I still watch TV, but only downloaded episodes that already have the commercials removed. We rent & download movies, and play video games, too... The big difference is that you can't channel surf to waste time. When you watch, you watch something on purpose, with intent, and without commercials. It's awesome. If I could subscribe to just the channels I want, and get them without any commercials, I would do it immediately.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
oh wow... way to overreact! yes the TV was your only problem. internet, computer games, radio, billboards along the street, newspapers and even your grocery store ads are just fine.

dude if you really want to "escape" you need to close off all your bank accounts, quit your job and move somewhere into the wilderness, preferably a well hidden bunker to keep you safe from chemtrails and global warming
you could try joining one of those half-naked african tribes that eat worms and worship the sun

you made my x-mas day! thank you!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by downtown436

My Bad

I just bought a 52 inch Flat Screen HD

I only bought it to help the economy though.

We went with a 47 inch and well... the kids wanted one for Christmas and being good parents and all..

sshhh don't tell I am the one hogging it!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Is in stunned amazement reading through some of these replies on the subject..I can't believe the numbers of people claiming 'tv isnt brainwashing' it damned well is!.. and this can be seen whenever you try to get the attention of a person involved in a program on the box, or even just watch them as they watch it..zombies, eyes staring and glazed, they don't hear you or react when spoken to etc.. what the hell do you call that? its worse for children as they are in early stages of development and it certainly takes control and command of that development.. people are going to think what they want regardless, but anyone that thinks the television set isnt a tool of brainwashing, predictive programming (google it if you need to), and behaviour and social engineering are themselves dooped. As for internet -vs- tv, no contest..with the internet, one has far, far more options as to what to look at, what to take seriously and what to ignore, it doesnt subject people half as much as the television does, for instance, to subliminal messaging, product placement, and again, predictive programming. This whole society of today is geared around controlling the little people (i.e us) by the major as*holes at the top of the food chain..telling them (us) what to say, how to think, how to act, how to dress, what to eat, what to buy and what to do in general.. not to mention the obscene numbers of parents that use it as a baby sitter, we are all starting to see the problems with that in zombified moronic children of todays youth. Any decent psychology text book usually goes into the big problems of TV. try researching it if you think i am just talking out of my backside.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I did the same(sane) thing about 20 years ago. I lasted over a year before I caved in. It was probably the best year of recent memory. No box programing me to "think this way" or "buy this thing". I'd love to do it again but wife & kids wouldn't put up with Dad & his crazy ideas. I wouldn't actually throw the idiot box in the can again. Just unplug from the mass media. I am of the firm belief that it does nothing more than program us. 24/7. And we pay for the privilege! Makes my BP raise just thinking about it.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full_Vision
Is in stunned amazement reading through some of these replies on the subject..I can't believe the numbers of people claiming 'tv isnt brainwashing' it damned well is!..

i think most of us agree that tv has a certain (bad) influence but you still have a brain a personal responsibility. and as long as you live in the western world (US, canada, european union) you will be bombarded by messages from all direction, regardless whether you are watching TV or not. i personally love those who claim to have no cable but yet play games or watch movies on their playstations and have the feeling they are immune to "brainwashing". the simple fact that you wake up each morning and go to work is already a type of programming that each of us is conditioned to unless they have unlimited amounts of money.

so unless you move into the jungle and eat organic worms and sleep on organic leaves you're still going to be influenced the way the system wants you to be.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We cancelled cable but still watch dvd's on the tv and stay connected with the pc. You can see a lot of news on the internet and twitter and abovetopsecret. I check abovetopsecret almost each day for news. The news on the tv only makes me angry and I get a headache and it wrecks my day. If I see news at the gym it still makes me roaring mad and I can't take it. Campaign for Liberty has some news and cspan lets you see Congress. You can click on Fox and CNN on the internet but you can click off if it gets too outrageous. You can see a lot of articles from twitter posts.
I am a little afraid that I am thinking that people think like me because I see what I like to see, when everybody else is on an altogether different track, watching main stream media and being led along. Main stream media doesn't make sense, it takes a stretch of the imagination always to figure out what they are talking about, but when you hear the truth it is usually logical and understandable. That is the problem with lies, they don't readily make sense so they have to be explained. Like 911. How did it happen, it defies logic, because the truth is so far away from the official account. Keep watching main stream media. Watch your country disintegrate in front of your eyes and keep wondering why.

Actually my grandson knocked the tv over but that was just after we cancelled cable. The TV is sitting in the yard until I can find a way to dispose of it safely, and cheaply. We waited a couple of months and ruined two pcs trying to play dvd's then finally broke down and got a tv from bonus points from a credit card.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by m khan]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I didn't watch tv for years but eventually got back into it. It was basically just catching up with Adult Swim, 24, the X-files, the twilight zone.

Animal Planet/Nat Geo is pretty good.

you don't have to watch the "crap" on tv, you know

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Is in stunned amazement reading through some of these replies on the subject..I can't believe the numbers of people claiming 'tv isnt brainwashing' it damned well is!.. and this can be seen whenever you try to get the attention of a person involved in a program on the box, or even just watch them as they watch it..zombies, eyes staring and glazed, they don't hear you or react when spoken to etc.. what the hell do you call that? its worse for children as they are in early stages of development and it certainly takes control and command of that development.. people are going to think what they want regardless, but anyone that thinks the television set isnt a tool of brainwashing, predictive programming (google it if you need to), and behaviour and social engineering are themselves dooped. As for internet -vs- tv, no contest..with the internet, one has far, far more options as to what to look at, what to take seriously and what to ignore, it doesnt subject people half as much as the television does, for instance, to subliminal messaging, product placement, and again, predictive programming. This whole society of today is geared around controlling the little people (i.e us) by the major as*holes at the top of the food chain..telling them (us) what to say, how to think, how to act, how to dress, what to eat, what to buy and what to do in general.. not to mention the obscene numbers of parents that use it as a baby sitter, we are all starting to see the problems with that in zombified moronic children of todays youth. Any decent psychology text book usually goes into the big problems of TV. try researching it if you think i am just talking out of my backside.

of course, this is assuming everyone in the world has a brain made of mush and isn't capable of making a decision for themselves. Oh, and that commercials have so much power, we must buy.

unfortunately for you, that's not quite how it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
They are already monitering what you say on here, so it doesnt really make it any better

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The only thing that can brainwash, control, manipulate, coerce, exploit, beguile, betray, bluff, hoodwink, scheme, fabricate, engineer, concoct, devise...
IS YOU yourself.

You give your power away when you make someone or something outside of you more important than what is inside of you.

If you do not value who and what you are, you will seek to borrow worth from the outer world. You will look for validation from people whom you believe know or have more than you. But since everything you need is inside you and no one can know more about your path and purpose than you do, any power you ascribe to external authorities must eventually explode in your face and leave you feeling worse than when you started.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

Eh..not really. I recommend you to read a book called "Manufacturing consent" by Noam Chomsky. No , the reality is programmed and designed by a very few people. The more you watch TV the more you live the "designed" reality. It is simply neuroscience.

Here we go:
www.youtube.com...

CX

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I won't knock the OP for doing this, it shows that they are making an effort to effect theirs and their kids lives in a positive way. Some might not think it's positive, but it's none of our business really is it?

Personally, i have thought about this in the past, but now consider it to be too much of an over-reaction to what at first appears to be a brainwashing tool.

I enjoy some programmes on tv, my kids love documentaries, i am glued to the news and enjoy it. Sometimes it's just nice to unwind with a funny or interesting programme at the end of the day, and not have to watch it on a poxy 14in computer monitor.

So whilst i monitor my kids tv (and mine too), i wouldn't bin it totaly. It is still a great learning tool, i feel the kids would miss out on a lot of educational knowledge as i cannot provide the varied range of info that a well researched documentary can.

Plus, if we all threw our tv's out the window, you could kiss goodbye to Breaking News here on ATS. Probably a lot of the forum content for that matter.

CX.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Full_Vision

Behaviour and social engineering maybe, but Ive yet to see anything that could be classed as that done with a negative goal in mind.

You have more to look at on the internet in what sense? The internet is more diverse in terms of different activities.. but if you're wanting to watch a program then you're less likely to come across 'brainwashing' opportunities if you stick with a tv. And the methods you've mentioned such as subliminal messaging & predictive programming work on the basis that the target audience will only catch a fleeting glance at the message. So if that sort of thing was being implemented via the internet then its not really something you can choose to ignore.

As for subliminal messaging, you do know that its banned dont you? And if there were any companies going against that then I doubt they'd do it via tv as television is subject to more scrutiny than other forms of media.
Product placement is certainly not only used on tv... literally ANY website you go on there will a form of product placement going on. Even here on ATS. You dont think its an accident that the guys who made 'district 9' are advertising on here do you?

Completely agree that children shouldnt be sat in front of the tv for lengthy amounts of time, but only because it can promote this detached from reality thing that kids seem to be growing up with. But then computer games & the growing number of websites that are targeted at children are also responsible for this.
It's not all bad though, there's plenty of educational programs on tv that help children and reinforce ideas such as healthy eating etc.

All it takes to get past this stuff is to realise that certain psychological methods are used to advertise various messages, and so when you go to buy something or start acting in a way you wouldnt normally, just look a little closer at your behaviour and question whether you are acting out of character and/or why you are buying a particular product.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian

Eh..not really. I recommend you to read a book called "Manufacturing consent" by Noam Chomsky. No , the reality is programmed and designed by a very few people. The more you watch TV the more you live the "designed" reality. It is simply neuroscience.

Here we go:
www.youtube.com...

So Noam Chomsky can tell me how to think, when to think, what to think, and why I should think.
Like everything and anything in this illusory world of fear and war, the most powerful and determining factor that one will always have is the;
Power of choice in what one believes with their mind.
One can choose either to take the blue pill or choose to take the Redpill.
Love or hate, peace or war.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

No, Chomsky is only inviting people to think for themselves.

www.youtube.com...

But you can argue, being invited to think for yourself can be seen as manufactured consent too
)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian

No, Chomsky is only inviting people to think for themselves.

www.youtube.com...

But you can argue, being invited to think for yourself can be seen as manufactured consent too
)

On the contrary one has the freedom of choice in how they use their thoughts of mind.
Sure one may argue that the PTB have put a set of parameters on what to think. But that is there whole idea. To make one think that their own mind is an aberration of all that is and needs to be put under certain and total subjugation.
For the fear that you may one day,
"Might wake up from the dream of war and hate and see that the only one getting hurt and killed, was the oneself who is/was merely the multitude of actors on the stage that is the world."

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
We are applauding this man because he...removed his T.V from his home?

Thats like a cop throwing away all of his guns because GUNS kill people...right?

Oh wait, I forgot we have something called self control.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Is in stunned amazement reading through some of these replies on the subject..I can't believe the numbers of people claiming 'tv isnt brainwashing' it damned well is!

What isn't brainwashing? ATS is brainwashing!!!

Personally I think people use the term "brainwashing" wrong. We have stimulus all around us every day, and as people have mentioned we have an endless stream of information pouring into our heads. That is why on many nights I sit outside and smoke a fine cigar and drink 18 year old single barrel scotch and watch the stars, count the satellites and hopefully see a meteor or two.

All of us need time to reflect on and relax from the daily white noise that is buzzing continuously from many sources, TV being just one, and one I do not find any better or worse than the multitude of others.

You want brainwashing? Well, go to many of our universities and ponder on what many of our redeeming professors are teaching. That is something I can’t control or monitor like I can with our TVs, and add up 4 to 6 years of it and that scares me a hell of a lot more than the dribble that comes from the TV.

This whole society of today is geared around controlling the little people (i.e us) by the major as*holes at the top of the food chain..telling them (us) what to say, how to think, how to act, how to dress, what to eat, what to buy and what to do in general.. not to mention the obscene numbers of parents that use it as a baby sitter, we are all starting to see the problems with that in zombified moronic children of todays youth.

I saw this more in the 70s/80s than today. Today many TIVO everything, as I do. When I watch TV it is normally around 9:00 PM with the wife after the kids are in bed and we might watch for about 1 1/2 hours. We get in at least two one hour programs and we are done. I haven’t watched a commercial in years. My kids spend more time on the computer and by 7:00 PM they are done with both. So basically they have four free hours per day that they play inside/outside, play computer games, cruise the internet, and watch TV.

As for Parents that use TV as a babysitter....don't blame the TV, blame the crappy parents, and crappy parents is more of the root of the issue here anyways than TV. Hell, those same parents would use a suit made out of velcro and throw their kids in a velcro room for 6 hours per day if they could too. Would we talk about the evils of Velcro then?

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Xtrozero]

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join