It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ucalien

I know you're making the situation in the third world sound bad with the media, but, your statement sounds exactly like what we have here in the industrialized world with virtually no differences.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Removed my TV , November last year. I live in Europe - here you have to pay TV licence in order to be brainwashed by the TV haha. I got myself an extra computer now, got 3 computers in total , one of them as a little Media Center. Ah, all computers run Linux
no Windows either.

The first month is harder , but after that you start to live YOUR life instead of living other peoples life (TV) . My wife needed more time as women are more social and they tend to watch TV in order to replace the lack of social life. Result? we both become socially more active (got about 50 more friends this year alone ) , we do a lot of things we did not do before - and we rediscover each-other as a couple.

So , yep - you did well, but make sure everyone gets a PC in the house lol you are not AMISH!

www.shoutcast.com can help out your transition (over 10 000 online radios)

And of course the eternal YOUTUBE

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I have multiple 42 lcd and plasma flat screens, but thats because I bought them from soldiers who were deploying to Iraq and didnt want them to sit in storage a whole year and I got them for half the price of chain stores, so now I have 5 tv's and shipped them to my parents house. I consider it my kind of stimulus plan

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
what is tv ?
what defines the medium ?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Holy cow, I posted this thread earlier, and went to a Christmas party, and now it is at the top of the list! LOL. This is going to take some time to read through!

The thing that bothered me the most about TV, is that somehow it is always on, no matter if anyone is watching or not.

Also it makes this high pitched sound, that I can't really describe, that really really bugs me. Try it. Mute the TV, and tell me what that sound is. Is it the electrons hitting? I don't know, but it sucks.

Here is the thing. My wife sits there crocheting, or watching netflix movies on her laptop, while I sit here with headphones on blasting metal, and reading articles on my laptop. The TV is on all the time. The only one watching it is my 4 month old daughter.

Well, now it is gone.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
I mostly use my TV for either my PS3, sports or netflix.
I haven't watched any news (other than local for the weather report) in about a month.

I have no fear of being brainwashed by what any station puts out there as i'm sure most people on ATS don't have anything to worry about either. It's all about knowing that you're being manipulated to make it easy to recognize it when it happens.

I'm not worried about me getting brainwashed, it is my kid I worry about.

I don't watch sports, I'd rather participate.

Cable news, makes me really mad.

The only channel I will miss is the weather channel, and the speed channel. I like watching racing to some degree.

But guess what, the internet is chock full of weather and racing.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Marshall Mcluhan "The medium is the message."

I think that quote perfectly sums up how we should judge T.V. Regardless of how positive and/or educational the show is, T.V. always requires the viewer to be completely passive as brain waves even change (increase in alpha waves considered relaxing brain activity). It's similar to a drug.

I mention the educational shows because that is often how people defend their T.V. viewing. While those shows are definitely preferable to the rest of t.v. which is mostly garbage, if someone really wanted to educate themselves about something, then a book or other reading material is still the way to go. Seeing a moving picture with sound can be a nice visual aid, the Planet Earth shows are truly incredible for instance, but it is still more entertainment than learning and so T.V. should be 'viewed' as such.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Haven't owned a TV in years, don't miss it a bit. Really confused the cable guy when he came to hook up the broadband

It is very difficult to explain to the comcast person that, yes you still want the best cable internet possible, but no, you don't want TV service anymore. "Why not" they asked.....

Because my TV just got used for target practice.......

Ohh, and I'm not buying a new one, ever.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
TV does not brainwash you....you have a choice to watch it or not watch it. A lot of people are making up new theories everyday. But if you really do feel great about doing what you did, then my best wishes to you sir.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Why would you have to remove it completely? Just...DON'T TURN IT ON...

I'm very selective about what I watch on the television. Most of the time I will stick to just movies and stay away from media as well as programmed broadcasting like History channel. Although I find History and Discovery to be interesting, I just don't like how they only give one perspective.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I have a television set. I seldom watch it. I spend more of my time meditating than I do sitting around "wasting my time". Oh the irony.

A2D

It was just on, all the time. I am programmed to turn it on. I can't help it.

Now it isn't on anymore, by golly.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by people=oooo
TV does not brainwash you....you have a choice to watch it or not watch it. A lot of people are making up new theories everyday. But if you really do feel great about doing what you did, then my best wishes to you sir.

I didn't have a choice, if it was in the room, I turned it on.

Now it is gone.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I watch a few dvd's/Blu-rays/HD-DVD's like nature documentaries, babylon 5, farscape, star trek DS9 etc Or hook my PC up to my TV and play games. The only actual channels i used to watch were news channels, but i rarely do that anymore and get my news online/ATS.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Still have the TV, but got rid of cable and satellite about 10 years ago. When I do use the TV it's for video games or movies. If I care to watch a TV show, I wait for it on dvd and pick up or rent a copy. I can watch it at my pace with no commercials.

But then again i'm an odd one. No cell phone at all, no credit cards, no car payments, no mortgage, no burning desire to have the latest gadget, no designer clothes, no rushing to keep up with the couple across the street or caring what the majority of people think about the way I choose to live my life.

I'm damn glad it didn't take me as long as it's taken some to realize it's pointless to try and keep up with all the BS the average person tries to keep up with.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

I sound like that 'cos I LIVE in Brazil and I know EXACTLY what's going on!!!

Just to illustrate my theories, check the logos of some brazilian TV networks. The layout of GLOBE's logo ever was inspired by Freemasonry symbols mainly the "luciferian 3rd eye", the layout of RECORD's logo looks cloned from Google browser, CHROME. I assume that the Google is going to become a real bad*ss BIG BROTHER control tool, quickly...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Haven't had cable in a year and a half - where I live, you have to pay for basic cable to get anything, even local stations. I occasionally watch a DVD movie, but it's pretty rare, not even once a month. I missed it the first month or so, but not anymore! I have been surprised at how many conversations take place around me (at work, or with friends) about TV shows or commercials. It all seems so ridiculous to me now.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I think i understand how u feel.... but to me the TV 'can' be a very useful tool of education and learning......there are still channels on the tube that are not controlled by the NWO globalist elite Illuminati.....not many but a few..
I love the History Channel and i would be lost without it.....
some other pretty good ones on there too..and with the movies at $10.00 a crack i guess i will keep the old tube....
who knows maybe someday we will have no tv at all....emp bomb or worse...who knows..so i take it one day at a time and hope for the best but be prepared for the worst....

[edit on 01/13/2009 by guadalupejoe]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ucalien

good post sir....glad to see that u are a good researcher like myself....i think we need to get the word out..Rockerfeller today was crying the blues over the internet and the info we are getting out..
check out openminds.com i think it is a bit more truthful than this site..
good luck down there... i hear Telosians are underground...we have them in No Calif....Agartha...is a vast area..

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
About 10 years ago I did a year without a TV or a computer. It's amazing how much time you spend in front of both that could be spent doing more constructive and fun activites. The only thing I did at that time was listen to some talk radio and 'coast to coast am'. I really didn't miss the tv at all. Eventually I got sucked back into it and am a slave to it once more.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
many here are ignorant of how tv shapes our view of the world.
everyday we are subjected to media bias. it is sometimes so sophisticated and subtle and so consistent that it bypasses our b.s filter on a very subconcious level...it is neuro linguistic programming.

who thinks that this particular media so absolute so worldwide, in billions of homes, would not be subject to even just a little manipulation in order to steer the collective thinking in a certain direction sympathetic to the goals of those who control?

take it with a mountain of salt and always ask "CUI BONO ?" who stands to gain?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

i heard on ufoparanormalradio.com one of the psychics said that the new digital tv was able to let the spooks the nsa or cia or others to zoom into your room even when the tv was turned OFF! i can not verify this as true info.... but i would not be surprised...nsa is 50 years ahead of the rest of civilian world...at least.... i have heard that the pc screen can do the same magic for the spooks...
1984 and hold i guess............

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join