It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have determined it to be a brainwashing tool, and don't want it in my house anymore. I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I feel much better, even after just 24 hours.

Has anyone else taken the step, to simply remove their TV?

How did your family react?

How do you feel, and are you accomplishing more in your life?

+36 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

My Bad

I just bought a 52 inch Flat Screen HD

I only bought it to help the economy though.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Christmas round your house is going to be interesting this year

Personally, I couldn't get rid of my television, its got far too much to give me. I think removing it completely is a tad rash. I just carefully pick and choose what I watch. Balance is all that is needed.

Good luck to you though, I wonder how long it will last?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I mostly use my TV for either my PS3, sports or netflix.
I haven't watched any news (other than local for the weather report) in about a month.

I have no fear of being brainwashed by what any station puts out there as i'm sure most people on ATS don't have anything to worry about either. It's all about knowing that you're being manipulated to make it easy to recognize it when it happens.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Uhhhh, no. Though I do agree that when used in appropriatly it can soften the mind, but that is the way with anything. I make sure that what I watch is always somewhat educational. I stick mostly to Mythbusters, Discovery channel, Military Channel, History Channel, and on demand entertainment when im itching to loosen it up abit. I DEFINATLY stay away from CNN, FOX, and any of the finance channels. I think you could get more education out of watching static for 8 hrs then any of those have to offer.

The key is Moderation. If you don't have self control then yes, throwing out your television is a great way to quit using it. But for those of us that can pull away from the mind mushing things they put on their I think its an acceptible evil.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Good luck to you though, I wonder how long it will last?

I have not watched normal tv, since around 2001-2002. Once you give up, you will miss the programs for a while, but after that you see the bull that it is.

If i need to watch a program tv, i watch from the net and no ads what so ever.

You can do it, and its your choice. People existed without it before, and the net is far better anyway.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Yea I removed my TV from my room when I lived with my mom. Mainly to help me rest better. A place of quiet and relaxation. Better sleep, too.

But when I moved out I decided not to get a TV. I lived without one for a while. It was OK. I ended up using the computer for movies and stuff anyways. So instead of wasting my time on a TV, I wasted it on a computer.

I ended up getting free cable because the cable guy hooked it up wrong, and then my sister got me a tv for my birthday.

All in all, it really doesn't matter. Time wasted is time wasted, whether it's on a TV or on something else.

If you can't control yourself to not waste time, then getting rid of your TV isn't going to help anyways. And if you can control yourself to not waste time, then having a TV is awesome for guests.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
CONGRATULATIONS!

I still have a TV but have not had cable or watched television at my home for a couple of years now. My TV is for watching movies, which I dont think I will ever be able to stop doing, and for playing my NES, SNES and PS2 on.

I believe that television is a form of brain washing control. People definitely want to "fit in" with those they see on their television, and to think what the media wants us all to believe are the correct thoughts to have. There were some really great things said about these things in Fall of the Republic by Alex Jones.

I hate television but I agree that getting rid of your TV is a little drastic. You dont watch movies?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I disconnected my cable along time ago but couldn't live without hockey in the winter so I hooked it back up again so I can watch my hockey.
UFC and hockey is basically all I watch if anything.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by evo80

Yep i think the worst thing, and you should stop doing if you do not give up tv, is the following.

Do not ever watch adverts.

I think this is the worst thing about tv. Yep i even though i gave up tv, i watch movies and shows now and again, but i try to never watch from tv.

Just make sure you do one thing, if you stay with tv and cable and what ever. Give up adverts altogether, cannot stand the things.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I hardly ever watch tv, but I just love the show the office, it is the only one I watch, lol My husband would never agree to give it up though,lol He has to watch those boring shows on how it is made, or how bridges are built,lol

Ama

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I sold my xbox... but that was more so because I couldn't stop playing it. Just love video games. But perhaps it was some subliminal control that they government had over me with those games.

However I do commend your efforts... and I wish I could do the same. There is so much crap on tv from MSM and just in general.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well, my plasma has been broken for about a month and a half, and I really haven't noticed anything different, other than my wife watches DVD's on the laptop now

I will get it fixed eventually, I don't feel anything nefarious is coming from it - though I don't really watch normal television. I wonder about my wife though, the crap she watches!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I understand what you mean, I despise adverts, but they are even cropping up on the internet and on demand services now. You can't escape them.

If your happy without television that's great, but I wouldn't be.

There is far too much too learn and enjoy on television that giving it it up is not an option for me.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I, too, commend your efforts. Soon I'm sure I'll throw mine out. (or give it away)

But, for now, I like using my tv for xbox and movies. I will say this, though, If you don't sit down and watch TV, you can tend to be more productive. During winter I enjoy relaxing, and I can't get much done, so...

I guess selective channel surfing is whats needed to filter the garbage.

You could've just stopped paying for cable?
I do believe that those who watch too much television are very dis-informed.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Haven't owned a TV in years, don't miss it a bit. Really confused the cable guy when he came to hook up the broadband

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

HELL NO! I love TV. I can't say that I haven't gone with out it for months before, but that's more of a money issue. I have it planned out, what shows to watch when. Yesterday I watched 3 and a half hours of the office, 2 hours of King of the hill, 2 hours of Seinfeld, an hour of south park.

I quit my job 2 weeks a go and am bored out of my mind

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
you can always watch more online if you're to throw away the tv.
i have no intentions on doing that since there are a few things on tv i still enjoy.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

We have a brand New tv inch that in the last year has been used perhaps 5 times.

In the first 6 months we used it a lot with the New Standard Digital TV over the air waves. We loved that. It was to save on the Cable TV bill. The picture is digital DVD quality and for each channel you actually get 4 channels total so 17 local x 4 channels was great for free over the air.\

But in the last year it collects dust because we now use the Internet for Everything.

No matter what it is, Live Sports, Current TV shows, News, Movies we get it all over the internet for 100% Free.

We can decide what we want to watch when we want to watch it.

OP you didn't say if even though you removed your Tv if you stopped watching TV shows or Tv type content. Do you watch this content from the Internet too?

[edit on 23-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Congratulations.

While I have not physically removed my TV i never actually use it. Then after I moved out (offcampus next to a univ) I didnt bring the TV with me, although my roomates have one in the living room, I'm probably the only one that doesnt use it.

At first you do feel disconnected as if you are missing out on the world but then again you can get all the info at whatever time you want via the internet.

I did notice a lot more peace in my life without the constant sound coming from the TV and now I dont miss it at all.

It actually bothers me now when im near a TV thats turned on as I realize what useless babble is coming out of it constantly.

For the people who watch "educational" shows; the amount of info they give is so miniscule that you could read a summary of it in 3 minutes. You would be better off reading the topic on wikipedia or so where you would gain 10 times the info in the same amount of time, free of advertisements.

Ok gotta go, im at work ;P

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join