It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I physically removed my TV from my house

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Well, what about your radio? Audio tones do effect brain states after all. It's a possible mindwashing device...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I only watch ESPN, Discovery, Nat Geo, or History.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Very ironic because my 42" LCD TV fell down on its face just last week! I took it as a teaching not to wacth TV anymore. With you 100%

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I can go without TV as long as I feel like if I wanted to. I love Discovery and the History channel though, and there is always something on either of them to interest me.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by downtown436

My Bad

I just bought a 52 inch Flat Screen HD

I only bought it to help the economy though.

It would be nice if you remove yours too...just tell me when and where you live ill throw it away for you

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Why would you have to remove it completely? Just...DON'T TURN IT ON...

I'm very selective about what I watch on the television. Most of the time I will stick to just movies and stay away from media as well as programmed broadcasting like History channel. Although I find History and Discovery to be interesting, I just don't like how they only give one perspective.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I have a television set. I seldom watch it. I spend more of my time meditating than I do sitting around "wasting my time". Oh the irony.

A2D

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

you watch TV outside now?...but why?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hey Fair Play to you, I often think the same with my TV, it is used for little more than programs for the children (although I guess they can be brainwashing), for sure it is something controlled by the government especially bbc sites (things like that) - I really do wonder about having the tv in the house - well done good move xx

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

What about DVD's, How do you watch those?

I haven't read the thread so apologies if you've answered this already.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think you're being silly.

I watch very little TV but when I do, I watch thinks like LINK tv, the documentary channel, PBS has some awesome shows and I'm a sucker for "So You Think You Can Dance"

Basically I watch things that teach me or touch me emotionally.

The TV is not evil, it's the dumb shows and channels like E and all the reality shows trying to hook retarded men with more retarded women, the playboy mansion show and I could go on all day naming things that TRULY dumb people down.
Just don't watch them in the same way you don't read stupid threads on here. In other words, exercise your intelligence.

Also, there are things like the news with local weather reports, local disaster updates ( I'm in hurricane country) and other local issues that can't get to you anyway else.

It's a tool in my opinion and I use it that way. If you have no self control to guide yourself to good programming then maybe it was good for you to take it out of the house.

Oh, you can watch things like Battlestar Galactica as well, rent the series and watch some GOOD entertainment.

b

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't really understand the announcing that I am giving up "x" crowd. I gave up TV; or, I am giving up eating meat. I want you to know that I say this with the greatest respect.

I'm not getting rid of my TV. I'm not even going to tell you that I watch all educational shows. I like watching TV because I get entertainment out of it. I bought my TV so I could watch shows and be entertained. I am not against gaining knowledge or anything else you could be doing besides watching TV; I do that stuff too. However, in addition to living my life I can't wait till Lost starts up again.

TV is not the devil!

On the other hand, if you feel like television has become a problem in your life then maybe it's a good idea to get rid of it. Some people might be better off without it.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Nice move!! Sometimes going all out in such a way is the best option..
Its been a number of years now since we have had television in the house, we still have the set and watch choice films on it, but thats all..here in the UK you need an actual license in order to legally have television signal coming through..so we had one for awhile for news and random stuff we watched, but after our son was born decided to scrap it all together.. contacting the company to discontinue the license was ridiculous! they simply did not believe that anyone would choose to just NOT have television.. and sent a few different men around to check that we werent trying to con them and we really had no cable attachments or anything.. after a number of weeks of convincing them they finally removed our subscription, i just couldnt believe all the bs to do so!.. Also, i find it pretty...well...sad when i first tell people that we dont watch television (often when the person i'm speaking with asks if i had watched some crap show the previous day or whatever) They make a face like they must not have heard me correctly and ask me to say again lol..when it does sink in what i have said they simply are can't believe i am serious..usually saying something along the lines of 'what do you do if you dont have tv'?!... sad to say the least.. often they will offer tvs to help us out lol, and usually think its because we cant afford to have a license!!
Its a proud moment to get rid of the television from ones home, good for you! S&F

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bspiracy

Absolutely right. The phrase "deny ignorance" is not exclusive to ATS. You can do it any time you want!

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

We discontinued tv service about a year ago. I do keep the tv as a monitor for the dvd player. We do not miss tv. I was tired of the low-grade programs and mostly the lies coming out of that tube. I realize there are plenty of the same lies on the internet, but I think there is a better chance of receiving accurate information from the internet than from tv. So, we save money and cut off the propaganda - good deal.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Full_Vision

this is so true ... people just think I'm weird ... *thinks to self ... this may not be entirely due to the lack of a tv.

I personally like the way people look so sorry for you before the penny finally drops that you have no tv ... because you choose to have no tv.

Woody

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I once considered the TV an addictive substance, and elected to not have it on unless I consciously chose to watch a particular program/movie. That worked well, until we got zapped by a hurricane last year and were without conventional power for four months. No TV during that time, and curiously, it wasn't really a problem. I DID jones over no internet though. Man, that was rough, wondering what freakazoid things were happening out there in the world, without me to fret about them.

A foilhead friend of mine in Florida would send items to my wife's Blackberry (which still worked because of the relay towers), and imagine my surprise when I logged back into ATS in April to find that EVERYTHING WAS STILL THE SAME!!! No impending doom, just more of the gradually-creeping kind that I've been noting for 30 years.

So, when we got power back and I hooked up the Sat. dish, I immersed myself in TV for about a week. Then, reality set it. Since then, I don't watch news anymore. News doesn't exist anymore anyway, just hype and disingenuous words strung together to garner market shares, plus thinly-veiled political parroting posing as news. That disgusts me.

These days, I'll watch a movie, or South Park, or FUSE (music), or the Alternative Rock on SIRUS, or the History Channel. I read a book during commercials, and I don't think the boob tube has the power to infuse into my brain anymore (although I DO wear a frightening grin sometimes like the erectile disfunction guy, whatever that commercial is......... you know...... BOB).

Sometimes throughout life, I've found it useful to take a self-imposed timeout from various things. If I choose to QUIT something, then I by-God wanta really quit it. I stopped smoking. I stopped abusing myself with drugs. I stopped abusing myself with alcohol. I started drinking again nine years ago, and use it sensibly. You'll probably return to watching TV someday, but you'll be armed with a new awareness as to how you can make yourself feel when you use the TV for a crutch, rather than the mindless entertainment it was meant to be.

I salute you, taking a bold step to change yourself into the person you want to be.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
so what do people consider to be the most brain washing tv channels ? it is scary how easy brain washing is

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I hope you don't regret your decision.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Too much good stuff on tv. well.. on dvd. First off I am 25 and a nerd here. So i have a decent collection of dvds that I like. Godzilla dragonball z and classic transformers. Plus an assortment of sci fi stuff. As far as tv. very few programing on that I watch. paranormal, CNN, history channel and adult swim/family guy/south park. that pretty muc sums it up.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Be prepared for people to think you're crazy. I still have a tv, although I only use it for dvd's and games, but when I canceled cable a few years ago it was like people didn't know what to think, you will be surprised at how many people look at you like you just picked your nose and now want to shake thier hand. Occasonally I miss the history channel or discovery but all in all I feel it was a positive move and wouldn't have it turned on for free (my friend works for the cable company and offered to do just that)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join