It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down with all religion!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

Well, there are circumstances in which it comes in handy. I personally have been plagued by trolls which just detract from the purpose of the thread and they don't stop even when asked politely. In those circumstances, and the fact that the moderators often times resort to "warnings"...I had to click that button regardless of my personal beliefs about it....

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
I think that religion, a manmade tool to control people, is the number one reason why people in this world do not get on together.

It is the number one reason for wars - always has been.

Alright you flat out just demonstrated how ignorant you are on this subject. Wars are fought for land ,wealth and, power.

Therefore, it is the number one reason for starvation and suffering.

WHAT? THAT MAKES NO SENSE. How did you even come to this conclusion? The reason for world hunger is because of poor logistics in the distribution of food. Food is a commodity, it is bought and sold, not given away for free. The reason the world is hungry is because they are POOR.

And it is the number one reason for Killing innocents - and I include soldiers in this.

No, Evil is the number one reason for killing innocents. Evil exists independent of religion. The very aim of christianity is to ensure that the world is safe from the evil of men. A person who has no regard for human life or suffering will kill regardless of consequence. Regardless of whether or not god told them to.

Surely we should get on together and help each other, as human beings?

Yes, that is actually a core tenet of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. You aren't required to and you are not even supposed to attempt to convert people. you'll even find verses in the various holy texts that support this.

And surely we should try to save our planet?

Dude what are you? 15? christ of course we should. But banning religion will not make things better.

Seriously people like you give rational and respectable non-believers a bad name and image. And for the record I AM religious.

Before you go on some rant about me being brainwashed let me tell you a few things about myself.

1. i have been kicked out of church for defending Atheism.
2. I am a former atheist.
3. I believe god may not be real.
4. I do not attend church.
5. I am actually writing a book defending atheism, Theism, and agnosticism. I even have a chapter that deals with why disbelief does not mean you are going to hell. I am writing it so rational and respectable atheists can be protected from mindless idiots who defame the image of an otherwise valid school of thought. My goal is to unite atheists and theists as well as agnostics over one common cause and maybe put an end to this asine zealotry that is impeding our progress.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by DeathShield]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

I dont think hes saying hes being "fooled" in a way you think, what he is trying to say that is..

what makes you think he is wrong? the proof is on his side? hes stating facts as he sees them.

lets take another angle here, if god is loving and did create man in all his glory

what god is the right one? because as you know there is not ONE god if the bible is correct right?

or am i wrong to asume that? because other people who do indeed belive in god do not share the same values or belifes as you do?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Terrific!

Then, what is the relevance of this thread?

We can all be easily manipulated and tricked...and if you don't think you can...THEN YOU CAN BE TRICKED EVEN MORE SO!!!!!

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
reply to post by v01i0

I find it ironic that you exhibit this aire of an "incapability to be fooled"...
You speak as though only religious followers are being fooled or misguided or manipulated...When..you could just as easily be the one that is being misled....To deny man's fallibility in all aspects is to reach the peak of arrogance and look beyond it seeking the peak of ignorance as your next accomplishment.....

that was like a slam dunk on someones whole perception.
this thread was awsome. lot's of feelings being hurt. til next time...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

power

of what? think about that again.. POWER OVER WHAT?

MAN

and how do you obtain POWER over man? the MIND.

guns dont fire on there own my friend..

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
what really frustrates me is that people do what ever they want and decide what ever they want to do and chose what ever way of life they want to live but when they screw up things by them self they shout where is GOD he doesn't exist as if he told them to screw up things.

greed = man made
crimes = man made
weapons = man made
hate = man made
racism = man made

so lets get rid of man shall we ?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

Yes, you are very right about this, but religion is only one of many ways you can manipulate a persons mind. Don't get me wrong, i agree that religion can be used as a tool for power. To deny that would be as naive as saying that guns are not a way to harm a person. They just aren't responsible.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

but he is not the one preaching from the bible you are?

and may I ask what one?

because as you are aware there is more than one right?

or was that me being ignorant of the facts? or are you going to tell me YOUR god is the right one?

when the poster was pointing out that they are all full of BS for the same reason?

and thats man him self being used by other men in an attempet to controll him because he is a beast who needs it?

because thats what the bible's do say.. you are a spoilt brat who has no controll so needs to be told

NOT TO KILL
ect
ect
ect
ect
ect

shall i keep going?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

reply to post by v01i0

Then, what is the relevance of this thread?

The relevance of this thread might be that the issue comes up. That what comes first in mind.

We can all be easily manipulated and tricked...and if you don't think you can...THEN YOU CAN BE TRICKED EVEN MORE SO!!!!!

Exactly, this is why I reject all beliefs and only trust my own experiences. I admit, I am empiricist to the bone.

-v

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

Well, I don't believe in ONE God, I believe in THE God....that may be confusing, but whatever....I believe they're all the same and people just caught up in the etymologies(?) and interpretations involved....It doesn't matter what name you slap on THE God...He's still God...You don't change HIM by giving Him a different name...If my name was Daniel instead of David...I'd still be the same....

As for what makes him wrong...absolutely nothing...but what makes him RIGHT?
If the situation were reversed in the sense that those who DON'T follow religions were the ones that were controlled....what would make ME wrong?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

They are if i created the tool?

Relgion is not natural.. thats a fact. it only happens with humans and the reason for that is the ignorance that some think they are special.

what about my cat? is my cat not special? does my cat have any idea what god is?

No, and do you know why? becuase you cant teach a cat a dumb trick..

on the other hand my cat knows when shes getting fed..

wonder what is more important? the survival of the human race or its ego?

time will indeed tell..

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by notsympl

I am not hurt, I am enthralled!!!

This indeed is one of the best discussions I've had for a while.

-v

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13579

and may I ask what one?

or was that me being ignorant of the facts? or are you going to tell me YOUR god is the right one?

when the poster was pointing out that they are all full of BS for the same reason?

and thats man him self being used by other men in an attempet to controll him because he is a beast who needs it?

because thats what the bible's do say.. you are a spoilt brat who has no controll so needs to be told

NOT TO KILL
ect
ect
ect
ect
ect

shall i keep going?

You know i have often the bible to be unnecessary to the relationship one could have with god. I believe society as well as religion has progressed or is progressing to a point where religious texts will be nothing more than an analysis into how god thinks or works. Not what his actual rules and regulations are. Think about it, the bible and the various religions based around and within it were created in a far more barbaric time. For example the laws of kosher introduced people into how to humanely kill animals for food. How to avoid food borne sickness.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

what would make you wrong is not being your self? you do not NEED a god to be blessed with "this life"..

When i was a kid i use to watch all the god movies and so on and read a bit of the bible.. and i was a bit confused.

some things were not clear to me. like this gem

do not prey to idols?

but yet the biggest idol on the mount was god him self?

correct?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

excatly RULES. If i was in a tribe of some sort someone "alpha" male makes them rules just like a lion? we are born into the "system" and follow them and take them as granted.

the bible is a set of rules to be followed.. but yet if i was droped on an island i could make my own rules?

I could have the total oppisit to what you think, would that make me wrong? or would that be my devine right a living being?

you see? The chaos that could stem from people being free is APOCOLIPTIC and they NEVER "TPTB" never even want you to smell freedom.

what does it mean to be free? it means YOU as a preson have to face up to reality.

They make it WORST by keeping you this way. pump you full of drugs and what not to keep you stupid..

the only question the human race faces is the TRUTH.

what are we going to do? wait for god? or ditch him.

and the funny part is WE DONT KNOW ITS A HIM do we? LOL

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

They are if i created the tool?

Relgion is not natural.. thats a fact. it only happens with humans and the reason for that is the ignorance that some think they are special.

what about my cat? is my cat not special? does my cat have any idea what god is?

No, and do you know why? becuase you cant teach a cat a dumb trick..

on the other hand my cat knows when shes getting fed..

wonder what is more important? the survival of the human race or its ego?

time will indeed tell..

I respectfully Disagree, although i feel that you do bring up valid points. I do subscribe the idea that religion is largely a construct of man, but i think there may be naturalistic reasons as well. Are you familiar with the "God Spot" of the brain?

I think it's existence proves that there is a natural reason for where religion can come from. But as you said with Cats we do not see religion in the traditional sense among other animals. Still that does not mean there is no god. Maybe other animals do not need religion because by default they already believe in a higher power? Or is it because they never developed a "god" spot. Either way we do not have a way of telling since we have no real way of meaningful communications between them. We can't read their thoughts. The best we can do is infer what their thoughts are from observing their actions. I don't know what else to tell you about your point with Cats, other than that it is indeed an interesting prospect. I will ponder on this more.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

and may I ask what one?

NOT TO KILL
ect
ect
ect
ect
ect

shall i keep going?

Your use of the question mark is seriously demanding of my ability to comprehend. Just saying...not trying to offend......

However, to answer, I don't preach, simply answer.
Which one? Does it matter? God is in man...not in a book....
Yes, I am aware that man has written many books....
There's no other option...THE God...implies that there's only ONE God...Just like mankind...Do you consider Australian aboriginee's to be non-human entities? What about Korean-Americans? Klingets? Russians? We're all a part of the same thing...HUMANITY....

Full of BS for what reason? Maybe I missed it......
Man, man, man, man...I didn't see anything about religion...or God for that matter....MAN, MAN, MAN, MAN...

The bible reinforces strong morals...Is that a bad thing?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

what makes you think they are not?

they have been at it for a very very long time...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

Definition of "Idol" a representation or symbol of an object of worship

Symbol...representation...that means you shouldn't pray to the feet of Mary...a golden bull...an iron horse...the image of the cross....you know...IMAGES, SYMBOLS, REPRESENTATIONS....Did anybody pray to an IMAGE on the mount? Idol represents something that isn't living.....something mundane....

And...if I don't need God for this life...where did it come from and where will it go? From abiogenesis I came and there I shall return? I'm sorry but that's in disagreeance with "evolution"(my view of evolution anyways). I think of evolution as a ladder....only going up...if I die and turn to nothing...I descended that ladder...or DEVOLVED...

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join