It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down with all religion!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
The bible reinforces strong morals...Is that a bad thing?

That is a double-edged sword.

On other hand, it is good to keep the mob in line; to behave, because they couldn't otherwise.

But otherwise, imposing someone with morals while the 'authorities' of these morals are constantly going against it...

THOU SHALT NOT KILL
THOU SHALT NOT STEAL
THOU SHALT NOT...

Yet they break they by themselves.

To me, there is no moral nor ethics. There is only irrelevant, appropriate and inappropriate action.

-v

[edit on 19-12-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

The bible reinforces strong morals...Is that a bad thing?

But you confuse morals with religion? and the only reason you have morals is because you was told what was right and what was wrong?

the aztecs use to chop of peoples heads? the christains use to burn people on stakes?

its evolution of ones interlect and understanding...

religion is a passtime used by people who need controll..

Its within my power to kill anyone or steal or do any other thing I deem fit?

do i need a bible for that? or is it that i choose not too?

i dont need morals to choose my path in life and i dont need god to guide me.

I am just here. just like you.

I just dont see why people try to say the bible this the GOD that

the only reason you know what GOD is because you was told.

If i raised you in a BOX with no GOD would you know what god was?

i think not. and that my friend is a fact. thats why my cat HAS NO GOD

get it? the very word GOD is a fable based on LIES

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

well...by your terms would you say that the bible inspires "appropriate" action?

edit: grammar

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

No one can reveal God but God himself. Just as no one would know my deepest darkest secrets if I myself didn't reveal them.

and morals come with life...my nephew knows what he has done that was inappropriate without having anyone to tell him...that's why when he gets a cookie without asking he runs....i've never told him that he needs to ask...his mother never told him...his dad never told him....he just knows...he feels GUILT....it's a basic human characteristic...it doesn't have to be LEARNED or "handed down"

edit to add: All I must do is look at him, not say a word, and he'll put the cookie back...I've never told him...I just look and he knows...it's the same with my niece who is only one year old....

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13579
reply to post by DeathShield

excatly RULES. If i was in a tribe of some sort someone "alpha" male makes them rules just like a lion? we are born into the "system" and follow them and take them as granted.

But we have the option of not following them therefore we are not truly enslaved.

the bible is a set of rules to be followed.. but yet if i was droped on an island i could make my own rules?

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. The bible is not solely a set of rules. It contains rules but they are not required to be followed unless you are directly forced to follow them. Christianity for example is completely based on choice. you either follow god or you don't And there may be consequences for not following, but at any moment you can redeem yourself so long as you show genuine remorse or humility.

I could have the total oppisit to what you think, would that make me wrong? or would that be my devine right a living being?

But it is our divine right as a living being. If it was not our right to think opposite of god then we would not have the power to do so.

you see? The chaos that could stem from people being free is APOCOLIPTIC and they NEVER "TPTB" never even want you to smell freedom.

But chaos already exists with or without freedom. You do not need to have a set of rules to break in order to create chaos. Chaos is caused by rules just as much as it is by a lack of rules. For example the war on drugs. How has banning drugs actually made anything better? It hasn't , it created a black market in which people can die from being involved in. The same exact thing happened with Alcohol Prohibition.

what does it mean to be free? it means YOU as a preson have to face up to reality.

Freedom is the ability to choose. You can have your choices narrowed down and remove but at the end of the day there is always at least one choice left. For example if you were a POW you could choose to either be tortured to death or to hand out information. What is and is not reality is not quantifiable or demonstrable in the same sense as 1+1 = 2

They make it WORST by keeping you this way. pump you full of drugs and what not to keep you stupid..

the only question the human race faces is the TRUTH.

what are we going to do? wait for god? or ditch him.

God told us to not wait for him. The bible makes it very clear that man is supposed to fix things himself.

and the funny part is WE DONT KNOW ITS A HIM do we? LOL

Personally i think god is sexless.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

reply to post by v01i0

well...by your terms would you say that the bible inspires "appropriate" action?

Yes and no. It's really an difficult question. I can only say that the action is 'good' when it is appropriate and 'evil' when it is inappropriate.

For example, being tender when firm behaviour is needed, is inappropriate. Love - in my opinion - includes both. If I truly love someone, but use only soft means and tenderness to show my love, I'll fail. When the punishment is required, it is appropriate; then tenderness and caressing would be inappropriate.

In the end, and in my opinion, good and evil as a fixed concepts does not exists at all. Good and evil are very obscure concepts, which can only be measured by the very moment. What is good in one situation, turns out to be evil in another.

-v

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Attention Moderators!!!!!!
Why Is This Not In RANT?

Why is this not on the front page? If there was no religion you would be a much happier individual.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I completely agree and, for the most part, religious texts back this ideology.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

lets look at some facts again. I love nature myself. and its part of me as im part of it, and why do i feel so disconnected from it? am i not apart of nature?.. neway

fact.

No other being on this planet has a religion other than man.
No other being on this planet uses money as a way to connect with its given enviroment "ie food"
No other being would give a rats tush if you was its food.

why?

why is every other living being on this planet so bloody ODD or is that we are the ODD ones?

Now that brings up how the hell we got here? and we do indeed have two ways to look at this..

God : we was made end of story.. "biblcaly" in any way you seem fit.
Nature: Darwin we came from soup and now we are man.

Now some people will say and do so.. well god made it all "the soup" and at least thats being honest... "thats me" tho i do not class "god" as anything other than being thankfull..

so in relation to this subject how the hell did we get into this sorry state we find our self.. one world "CONFUSION"

we dont know HOW or WHO or WHAT put us here ..

we dont know the process of how it came to be "in the first place"

so what are you meant to do?...

If god made man - we are screwed correct? unless he comes and saves us and when he does "in most bibles" we get punished OR we all go to some ace place called heaven "even tho i find that ironic" because if heaven was so great why dont people kill them self? "not including homocie bombers lol".. because there is a rule! YOU MUST SUFFER ON EARTH FIRST right? learn about SUFFERING "so gods a jackass and loves pain" ? woo ..

Then we have NO god.. just somehow we poped out of some soup! and here we sit in the vastness of the cosmos twiddling our thumbs.

Yet we are told evolution is real? "or at least and accepted theory like gravity".. "ish"

so i look at my cat? AND I THINK what if im the cat? WHY or for what reason would the cat need a religion? why is it only man?

am i special? "no" i think to my self? why do i say no? the underlying principle of being human was the gift of life?? yet my cat is alive?

you see were im getting at?

you are being brainwashed.. the powers that be are not as stupid as many think.

and its not a man. because what i just told you. you should understand aliens are VERY real.

life did not pop out just on this planet at all.. life is a component of the universe.

the quicker humans wake up and ditch god the quicker you will find out there is a lot more going on than you care to think about.

so stop being lazy and join the club.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

But we have the option of not following them therefore we are not truly enslaved.

yea try growing pot in your garden and swoping it for chickens.. lets see you make that statment again.

free within LAWS my friend laws you NEVER MADE

just one example

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

That's true, they say that - the whole mess with religions is probably caused by the egoist interpretation of sacred texts. I'd blame the organized church for that, unless I wouldn't be blaming the individual already (for believing in their lies).

I already mentioned it, but I also hold individual responsible for believing in any falsehood, not just religion, but also false sciences and so on. It all boils down to you. You are the decider.

One does not need any scientific theories or religious dogmas to know the truth. One needs just to take a look around, with open eyes and vigilant mind. That is my opinion and experience about the matter.

The truth is all around us, within us. If reality is the truth, and that many people believe in lies is reality, then that is actually the truth. I wouldn't individually make it more complicated.

But I also like to emphasize, that these are only my observations and opinions. No one shouldn't pay any attention on what I am saying, but instead to pay attention to their own experiences.

-v

(edit to add)

PS. The truth at the moment is that I am hungry, so I must depart this fascinating conversation for a while. I'll go cooking.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

You're free to disobey those laws if you so choose. And if you do, yes, you may pay the punishment. Look at it like this, I am in no direct violation of ANY law...that I know of anyways...and still I am persecuted. Why? Because I choose to be different. As long as humans exist, persecution will exist, regardless of whether we violated a law or not....

If one is brainwashed...we're all brainwashed...

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Matthew 7:3-5....just imagine..."Why do you say your brother is brainwashed and pay no attention to the washing of your own brain? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me enlighten you, when all the time you are in darkness?...."

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and Demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, Beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and Its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, Even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and Bow to none. When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the food and For the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, The fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, For abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts Are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes They weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again In a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

Tecumseh - Shawnee-(1768-1813)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

because not once have a qouted a bible and you have?

Matthew 7:3-5

does that make you any more right than me?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Religions prey on the suffering and the weak;

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I understand where the OP is coming from. But I see valid points on both sides. This is not a debate that can be won by one or the other side, because both sides have valid arguments. You just have to compromise in not being extreme. So I will break this down into parts.

First, do we NEED religion? Yes and no. You can be a religious person without following a religion. The word Religion comes from the latin re-ligare. Which literally means to reconnect. Reconnect with GOD(or whatever other word you want to use, like THE UNMANIFEST, THE TRUE SELF, THE ALL, THE NON EXISTENT MATHEMATICAL POINT AT THE CENTER OF THE SELF).

I am a religious person in the meaning that I am often trying to develop myself spiritually to reconnect myself with the UNMANIFEST. Do I follow a religion? No.

EVERY Religion is MORE than its own beliefs. It's also an INSTITUTION. So, if one day you decide to create your own religion you have to go beyond just coming up with your own belief system. You would have to instutionalise it. That is very important to understand.

Now, there is nothing in this world that doesnt have its PROS and CONS. Christianity alone has done a lot of bad things to our world. But even if you hate Christianity you can not be so blind as to say that ALL THEY DO IS BAD. Nothing good come up from the acts of that INSTITUTION? Come on.

As some people said, religion has an important role INSIDE a SOCIETY. Not talking about uniting everyone in the planet. Talking about one society. The LAWS exist to regulate our actions. The police to enforce the law and arrest those who break it. Religion has a very important role in helping to define the MORAL VALUES of a society.

"But why cant we all find our own spiritual path without following the INSTITUTION of RELIGION?"

We can. Some of us do. But not ALL OF US. I will tell you why. Because most people are not leaders. Put a group of five people lost in the woods and you will see that pretty soon a natural leader will come up and guide their actions. MOST PEOPLE want to FOLLOW. Just look around EVERYWHERE.

Most people are not ready to find their own spiritual path by themselves. So, theoretically, it IS possible. But it is not gonna happen.

Now, to address the part of religion being MAN MADE. The institution of religion is man made. The RELIGARE is not. The connection with the SUPERNATURAL comes before the creation of the INSTITUTION of religion.

It all started before the notion of TRIBE or FAMILY. IT started when men separated himself from NATURE. The Moon, The Sun, The Wind... all those GREAT things in nature became SUPERNATURAL. Put that together with the discovery of death and the notion of INDIVIDUALITY and BAM. There you have it. Individual people living together, treating the supernatural as deities and fearing death. Some will gather food, some will hunt and some will talk with the spirits. They will depend on each other. The spirit leader depends on the hunters to eat. The hunters depend on the spiritual leader to connect them with the supernatural.

The problem is that those tribes, families, clans, societies, civilizations from different parts of the world will think differently. "Culture is the byproduct of how man works his environment." Something I learned in anthropology class. Different environments all over the world. Different cultures. Different belief systems. The clash of beliefs is not pretty. It's what we are having in this thread right now. The religious wars are waged by the leaders of the intitutions. Or leaders of RELIGIOUS groups. The flock just follows. It has nothing to do with the DOGMA, the Belief System of a religion. It's man. Man is the problem. Power hungry man, ABUSING the spiritual control they have over their flock to guide them into battle.

Just my two cents added to this conversation for you to do with it as you please.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yes, you are right that religeon is a tool for control. Im not going to say this is a bad thing if it encourages people to be good. Some people find a lot of strenghth in through there beliefs.

However when you band a group of people together in a common belief or cause. You automaticaly seperate them from any one who does'nt.

Its this segregation of the seperate religeons that causes the problems. It all boils down to differing points of view and the will to make others accept it. Thats why world peace will never be achieved.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Algebra

unless you ditch the main problem

GOD

problem solved :p least we can blame man for mans problem and not "whoever"

thats my jist neways

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

Freedom of belief includes freedom of religion.

And if you don't agree, I'll set the leeches on ya !!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

reply to post by decadence

The military doesn't control people and scam their money? The government doesn't do this? It's only religion? Are you serious? PEOPLE do this.....What about all those "self-help" books...? Are they not scamming your money? What about education? Isn't that a form of "controlling" what you learn and what you don't learn? GIMME A BREAK....

Wow!! you are full of list.
Don't tell me you are on of those religious zealots too.
I didn't blame just ONLY religion but religion play the biggest part of money scamming in the society beside the ultimate brain wash.
GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK, you needed it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join