It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Cool/Hip to Act Young and Stupid.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
whats your point? should everyone try to understand the convoluted mess called the united states or just try to live under it... i don't think the most intelligent scholar in the world could make sense of this place...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I totally agree that this is true. I am about to be 25 in less than a week. I find it quite hard to socialize with my fellow peers because I am not interested in the trivial "He said, she said" drama. It seems to be everywhere and the only thing that people care about.

I find it much more fulfilling to talk to 30 somethings that have something in common with me. I have always been like this and it is very hard for me now since I'm going to university and am surrounded by this daily.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I can tell you this.........what you see in American culture especially among our youth is NOT indicative of how the rest of the youth in other parts of the world behave and act. The MTV/Paris Hilton/Ashton Kutcher mentality that plagues America and other countries like the UK is not how the Chinese, the Indians, the South American youths act. American kids better wake up. They have A LOT of smart, intelligent, and EAGER counterparts breathing down their necks. Young people like LiveForever8 who says he could never be anything like his grandparents better WAKE the f up and realize it was the exact type of work ethic and mindset of that generation that made America what it is today and it's the sacrifice and hard work that his generation is living off of. American kids for the most part are spoiled brats. Of course not all of them. This American culture is creeping into the seams of other western countries but I think if you go to third world countries or developing countries you see a VERY different mindset among youth. When you have everything handed to you like American kids have had for the last 50 years it makes you complacent.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Egyptianprincess

Egypt is a perfect example of this. If you take a 20 year old from Egypt and compare him to his 20 year old American counterpart the level of sophistication, intelligence, etc. is much different. This used to be how it was with the youth of many European countries like France, and Germany. But the Americanization of their economices has changed their culture a lot as well.

I will say not all of Americas youth acts like that. But unfortunately a majority do. Just go to any college campus nowadays. Sure you have your sophisticated, high achieving places like Harvard, MIT, etc. But then you have A LOT of dumbed down colleges and universities churning out kids who have no business being in higher education.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Actually I think Ferguson is funny, sometimes very funny, like here.
But like all comedians he's trying to make a minor point, and then you come along and try to turn it into truth.

It's not, for instance, take a read of Wilde's Portrait of Dorian Gray if you don't think that the Victorians worshiped youth and beauty, of course they did.
And the bright shining flappers of the 20's the Gatsby's etc, worshiped youth beauty and MONEY. Just like today.

People are people, the only difference is the ability of mass media to compound the natural obsession.

Anyway, the point is it's comedy not philosophy don't look for grand truths. The second point, people have been and always will be obsessed with youth and beauty.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Okay, this thread is getting kinda silly.... you take the average egyptian and you've got someone who was nearing the end of their life (average life expectancy was 30 for women 35 for men), had bad teeth couldn't read or write, and who probably worked as a slave building pyramids for a tiny minority of educated elites that forced the vast majority of the population to worship them.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

I'm talking about nowadays genius. Try to keep up. I've experienced middle eastern youth first hand.....from Israel, to Egypt, to Iranians to Indians. They are very intelligent and usually more sophisticated than their American counterpart. that's my point. This used to be the case with countries like the UK, France, etc. It's a FACT that european kids are more intelligent than their US counterpart when it comes to things like math and science. I know a Russian 3rd grader that is doing advanced algebra..........meanwhile most 3rd graders in the US fail to understand mixed numbers and fractions. Get a clue!

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Couldn't resist...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
i think everything is relative. "acting all reserved and grown up" doesnt mean you are intellectually mature. look at all those bible thumping frowning men, who "act their age" and "cant help but shake their heads" when looking at stupid youth. yeah back in the day everyhting was better, the grass was greener, even people were smarter. guess what, within that religious folk restrained in action and words there are tons of those naive, and, well, intellectually immature people as opposed to some who are truly grown, but ACT eccentric. there is a line.

as for me i dont like mainstream culture, because it is boring and uninspired. MTV for one. actually now we got tons of incredible acts who are reshaping the music and pushing the boundaries of it, but you wont see them on MTV. and isnt Hollywood and its celebrities plain boring? it is not like this generation came up with this idea of worshiping uninteresting folk that`s somehow famous, Hollywood`s been there before the days of this generation.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

So have I, and the one thing I've learned is that you can't draw those kinds of conclusions.

If you think Iranians and Middle Easterners don't worship youth and beauty check on the astonishing rate of plastic surgery in Iran alone. It's slmost all cosmetic genius, not necessary surgery.

And Europeans not worshiping youth and beauty, are you kidding me? The Europeans invented the gossip rag, and the page 3 girl in the Sun, and the paparazzi killed Diana for goodness' sake. And Rome and Milan created the fashion industry.

Are European kids better educated than American kids, yep. Generally, they have higher educational standards, but that doesn't mean they don't act as young and frivolous as American kids do.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

you say MIT, Harvard...hmm...knowing something and being wise are two different things. i am from Kazakhstan and people in KZ are less happy, more reserved and maybe less naive than Americans, but it doesnt mean they are smarter in general. happy laughing person always looks sillier than a reserved frowning pessimist, no matter the level of intellectual sophistication of either one.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't know. I don't see this as a new phenomenon. I remember back when I was in school, as far back as grade school, there were always the stupid kids that didn't care they were stupid and the smart kids. The 'cool' kids were always the ones of lower intelligence or lesser maturity.

Maybe it's just the instant flow of information the internet has brought over the last decade or so that has shown people it wasn't just the little group they personally knew but a widespread problem.

It used to be that a stupid person just wallowed in their less than mediocre life with their little group of stupid friends, now the internet and reality TV has given them a worldwide stage to display their idiocy for all to see.

Also, you have to take into account the kinds of role models kids have today. Athletes, actors, musicians, etc.. who are constantly praised and fawned over because they happen to be able to throw a ball or rhyme two words together, who would otherwise be working at a fast food joint or be in jail if it were not for their celebrity status.

I've also seen and commented to others about how it seems it's cool to be stupid and immature, but I don't see it as new. It's just more in your face than it used to be.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Great find OP! Star and Flag!

I get what Craig is saying and what you are trying to point out, but most of the posters missed it.

They missed the word "value" of experience. I think when he used the word stupid, he was either throwing it in for a laugh to keep going, or frustrated in trying to make a point. He had it right when he was using "In-expericened".

The value of experience can be seen in today workplace. Go to the engineering world to have a real look. It has change dramatically in the last 10 or so years. Did you know that 50 unexperienced people can build better things than one to 10 highly experinced ones? That is where we have gone in the world today.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I do like your point, however, I've never been met with someone who says "Meh, what about timberlake" or all that - because I don't talk to idiots. I try not to at least, and if I must, I don't bother with rational subjects... pretty much, "nice day eh.. bit warm huh.." is how it goes. Usually, with mixed results.

I wonder if you removed the laughter from the youtube clip, would it still have the same impact?

Couch potato kids of any generation are reasonably apathetic. Pointless.

But many kids today are far more knowledgeable than their counterparts from 50 years go. BUT in saying that, I very much doubt kids today, knowing what they DO know today, could actually survive 50 years ago.

So it's rather subjective.

Stupid is timeless. Sadly

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

My dad when ever he is wacthing the television will mute the volume when ever it is time for a commercial break because commercials are stupid and in the end misleading because of their stupidity. So it goes with our government pawn shops credit and people the pedestrian of psychiatry(the whole mechanized western society) in general. This is definitely what we need to hear about misleading stupidity thanks for posting.
I was once asked if I had any phobias I said yes I am afraid of the psychiatrist with his ice pick and electroconvulsive therapies.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Youth and stupidity have always been popular.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.*

* The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meesterjojo

"This forum is dedicated to general conspiracy theories, cover-ups, and government scandals that may not fit into other topical forums on ATS."

"This thread is in the conspiracy forum group."

Experience has taught me to follow at least some rules. I would suggest that if you simply wish to rant on the problems with youth (yourself falling, clearly, into the age-old trap that experience must come with age, and that wisdom/maturity must follow simply due to some chronometric designation) that you take it to some place other than a conspiracy forum.

...unless, of course, you had some conspiracy to share with us? Perhaps too many kids are on your lawn, and you feel this is why JFK was assassinated? Or your neighbors are giving you funny looks, thus we're being visited by aliens which only you and others in your unique 'state' can see?

I won't suggest that you utilized your expansive cache of wisdom/experience like a 14 year old would: in the most Promethean manner possible. I will suggest that someone downing on youth for being "stupid" should have thought beyond their nose and known that posting such is wrong, and (oddly- note sarcasm) not a new argument for at least a few millennium.

well a threads not a thread without a visit from an ATS rent a cop.

the mods apparently disagree with you as this hasn't been moved.

also, if you hadn't noticed, this is a conspiracy! corporations and media are guiding society in a direction that will lead to its down fall, if that isn't a conspiracy i don't know what is.

i can tell from your back handed insults that your obviously a part of the culture i speak of, you didn't even notice the MAIN POINT of the thread, which is that its "cool" for a 40year old to act like a 17year old now.

i have no problem with the youth acting like youth, its what they should do.

its adults that can't grow up and see that there actions do matter that drive me crazy.

i guess i should only post about jfk?

[edit on 12/16/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
People are scared of their mortality and eventual death and they strive to keep the natural process of death as far away in their mind and physical appearance in hopes that they do not die and leave all they love and hold dear and value behind. That deep rooted fear is being played upon all those in the beauty and medical industries who in turn profit from it and the culture of "idk", 2 minute attention spans, and the self absorbed blossoms further.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Well knowledge is completely relative then. I wouldn't say kids are way more knowledgeable than their counterpart 50 years ago. That's ignorant and insulting. You act like people who lived 50 years ago were living in caves killing animals with spears and had no written language. LOL. 50 years ago was not all that long ago. My grandparents were a very intelligent generation. And very hardworking. The technology may not have existed back then that exists today. My grandparents probably would never have been able to use a computer much less want to. But my grandfather also knew how to weld, rebuild his car engine, knew the history of WWII fairly well etc. My grandmother had a very good knowledge base when it came to things like cooking. How many women really know how to cook nowadays? Again knowledge is relevant I guess. But to say we are so much more "knowledegeable" than generations past is completely arrogant. We have more technology but I hardly think that equates to more knowledge let alone intelligence. There are many things kids know today......but there are many things they've lost or don't know that generations before us do.

Ask any young person in their early 20's the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

comedy is a reflection of life, you can definitely find some truth in it.

actually i think there was once a saying that went something like "the only one you can trust to speak the truth, its the courts gesture" i am sure i butchered that.

Its not so much that youth and beauty have been worshiped before, its how it is worshiped now.

i don't think people went threw risky surgery's, or injected poison in there forehead, or sat threw endless hours of media dribble so they could fit in at the water cooler, in the past.

But we can all disagree, were all entitled to our own opinions, mine are just different then yours.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join