It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Cool/Hip to Act Young and Stupid.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It's interesting that I should stumble upon this thread, because it answers a question I've been asking for quite some time: Why people guess that my age is late 20's early 30's.

I speak intelligently on a wide variety of topics, dress smartly, drive a 1967 MGB, and have an excellent grasp of my primary language.

It seems, therefore, that attitude and demeanor have a great deal more influence on a persons judgment of your age than your actual physical appearance, because while most people guess I am 27 or 30, I am in fact only 19.

A persons background does not preclude them from this error either, for I've had that mistaken guess be made by everyone from Starbucks employee's to the former President of the BC Teachers Federation, and several educators.

It's interesting, then, that this culture of fashionable stupidity and youth has allowed me to see and do things that someone who is identifiable as my true age would never have been granted access to. Perhaps it should remain a secret that one should truly endeavor towards maturity and intelligence, so that those of us who are aware of this at a young age might continue to reap the bountiful harvest neglected by the vast majority of this imbecile-ridden society?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thank you.
My mom was telling me that when she was in her late teens she and her peers dressed more grown up and tried to behave more adult like.

She doesn't get why everyone trys to be so childlike for so long.

I say keep a young frame of mind, but be responsible cause there's a war going on.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Very very smart approach DEM, if a little cynical!
Make the most of it, I say. It's a real shame that things as easy to achieve as language skills, and being alert, articulate and aware, mark you out as something special, someone to be noticed, and that's in no way demeaning your all too obvious intelligence. I'm sure that you would do very well with a lot more competition, but you're smart enough to realise that the potential competition is asleep in some kind of technologically induced stupor.

I've noticed this trend for a long time too, and it does seem to have become much worse following the mainstream acceptance and availability of cellphones and computers, and all the other gadgets we surround ourselves with. I don't *know*, because I haven't researched this yet, but I *feel* that there is something physical going on with our exposure to electronics, as well as our food, which is perhaps better documented, that is helping to dumb us down, or enslave us. A recent thread here rightly showed that even our handwriting skills...the most basic of all communication skills after speech and reading...have degenerated.

At college I'm fortunate enough to be in class of mature students, and at 44, I'm almost the youngest!
I do see where I work part time that many of the younger people who work there seem to be switched off in a very weird non-responsive way. They don't engage, they don't interact, they don't make conversation or even eye contact unless you're the same peer group as them, and look like you're worth talking to. Outwardly, it's just plain bad manners, like they've never been taught how to be polite to people, but there is something else going on that's making them into little robots. Very scary indeed.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Maybe you're right, but I do know for instance that Geisha's actually deformed their feet to fit into tiny shoes.

And women during the 1700's busted their ribs to fit into corsets.

Men wore uncomfortable scratchy wigs and way too many layers before the advent of air conditioning.

And then theres tattoos, ear-stretching, neck stretching, wooden plates in the palate... I mean suffering pain to look good ain't modern.

I'm not sure what the pre-tv equivalent was to mindless entertainment but I'm sure a lot of people indulged. I'd also say that one of the odd things about the last 100 years or so is the massive amount of free time we have.
Labor laws, ready access to food and fuel mean we have lots of spare time on our hands... lots more time to be frivolous, and watch NCIS reruns (in my case).

[edit on 16-12-2009 by kenochs]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DJOldskool

I always thought it was messed up that to be a certin group you had to act dumb and vise versa.

But i'll tell you what if anybody watches that video you linked then there's proof enough that the Illuminati was/is real, i'll even repost the link.

Google video-century of the self.........

video.google.co.uk...#

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Personally I love growing older, learning new things, experiencing new things and most of all, learning to appreciate the little things....

Recently I have swapped my hobby for my work and am now a full time luthier.

Handling wood (please, no remarks..) that is 200-400yrs old really puts my existence into perspective for me. I have to be calm and focused and have respect for the material and knowledge that goes into making stringed instruments. Never been happier.

I have no inclination to subject myself to anal bleaching, face lifts or any such things. Wouldn't swap a minute for a year of youth, even though my body is now paying dearly for youthful magic moments.

Getting to watch my boy go through life has also bean a humbling revelation.

Getting old is great. Jealously of youth? Pathetic.

Disclaimer. I act childish whenever I bloody feel like it and reserve the right
to buy a Harley Davidson when my waistline tells me to. Midlife doesn't have to be a crisis with 1300cc's throbbing between your legs....

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Hi, I can assure you this observation resonates with people in other countries too. I think that this phenomena may be due to a combination of things, including some of the cultural/media/commercial pressures and changes already mentioned.

I'm also inclined to think that it is probably more than a coincidence that it appears at the same time as the unprecedented (I believe) change in demographic towards generally aging populations, where the 'youth' portion is moving from being a dominant majority to being increasingly a minority which is also a shared attribute of many western and developed countries (e.g. USA, UK, Germany too I think(?), and more.

Perhaps there's some kind of converse relationship between rarity of elders and aspiration or respect; Or could it be something to do with the exploding spending and political power of an aging population being courted by marketing focused on their desires or fantasies of eternal youth?

Plus, I think there may be something about the 'baby boomer' legacy or psyche that is definately going to be important as their population bubble 'eases' (tongue-in-cheek) into old age becoming, I think, if not the single largest group in the demographic certainly one of them?

Wasn't it the Baby Boomers who invented 'the teenager' - which seems to be where there's increasing pressure to remain or aspire to - eternally?

[edit on 16-12-2009 by curioustype]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Ya man if you wanna be popular in this day and age the trick is to 'Act' like you don't care about anything important, change topics often as to steer away from the direction of the 'truth' and 'answers', confuse people as much as possible, never talk about anything 'deep' & try and talk about things that truly don't matter in the big picture and you will be ADORED!!

Your facebook example is right on. I have given up completely on having any kind of heart to heart about life with anybody. It's not even like I don't joke around or anything but mentioning anything concerning the state of the world right now seems to get you unpopular. Unfortunately the music has gone the wrong direction too.

I just feel that the kids who are going to be tomorrows adults are lacking depth and 'humanity'. It's weird.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am part of Generation X... and I for a long time there was nothing to define our generation other than our ability to use technology. For too long has the youth been apthetic to the rest of reality. Although in my youth as I am sure most of you in your youth have done stupid things. The things that separate me from from most of todays people stuck in aperpetual state of middleschool or high school is quite simple to understand. Young adults who understand thier own mortality have a different frame of mind. They are young at heart, they understand the concept of getting old and dying. But there are most who are not young at heart, but have not graduated mentally. They are trying to live as if they are still 17 years old. A good way to spot a KID is their demeanor. If they are trying to act like and "adult" then you have a kid on your hands. They spend all thier time doing the things they were told not to do. You dont know how many old men and women I know in their 40-50s still acting like its the summer vacation during high school. Some are grand parents trying to hang with the youth and party.... I knew a GRANDMA that enjoys going to parties and hooking up with sloppy drunk 20 somethings.....It seems women have to come to their late 40-50's in order to realise they are no longer 17????

Like Tyler Durden explains about our generation... "We have no great war, no great depression...our war is a spiritual war....our great derpession is our lives. We were all raise on television to believe that someday we'd all be rock gods and movies start...but we wont..." Depending on how you see it, the coming economic collapse will define this generation. The sad part those of use who know better already know the end result for most if not all these kinds of people.

I went to a Pow-Wow in North Dakota, and was walking around the harbour. This was in 04 mind you and this is when the same concept hit me. I saw a bunch of dudes sporting their varsity jackets... the only problem was it was from the year I graduated ...in 99! What was equally sad was all the little girls wee eating it up! And if you act like a responsoble person not only are you lame but boring. Some seem to think life is all fun and games... one big party. Nobody really cares if the person next to you gets shot, as long as it not you... you' re ok. The only thing that matters is party, sports, games, alcohol, tv, dancing... the list goes on and on. You cannot escape its presence everywhere you look somewhere there is someone willing to prey on your insecurities to make a buck...even here on ATS! I am all for a good time now and then, but with the walls these people have constructed around themselves to shield themselves from reality of not caring and acting stupid are starting to crack and crumble. With every passing day the news is further proof of the fantasy they have created is comming apart like the Berlin Wall.

You dont need to be a genius to see what is around the corner... if you pay attentions to a few select bits of news then you can see what is coming. If I was a betting man I would put my money on soup lines, millions of homeless and starving... and maybe even a civil war inbewteen somewhere. But I see nowhere anymore room to act like a kid.... unless of course you are one. While I was in college I was sitting in the TV room watching the news. Some other guy asked if I woulod change from the "boring news" to MTV. I replied Im too old to watch that kids stuff... the kicker was he was older than me. If you are over the age of 19 and still watch that junk you have problems no amount of physchiatry can mend. The only thing that will shake you from your state of mind is a sledgehammer of truth to the face. You reaction will ultimately define what kind of person your really are. And from my experience it is ususally the opposite of the your perceptions you have of yourself.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ElaynaValenti

Keep doing what you know is right. When you get to my age you will be glad you did.

god, to be young again and know what took me 50+ years to learn.

It is a shame that most young people think of older people as just "out of it".

Experience teaches you a lot, and you only get that by going through decades and decades of trials and tribulations.

Wait until you approach 60.

All life's experiences will have educated you.

I was young once, carefree and "clueless".

This experience we call 3d life on this plane of existence will educate you.

You sound like more of a metaphysics kind of person......maybe try one metaphysics / spiritual class.

Lawyers are such smucks.

I know we have three within our family.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky
Thank you.
My mom was telling me that when she was in her late teens she and her peers dressed more grown up and tried to behave more adult like.

She doesn't get why everyone trys to be so childlike for so long.

I say keep a young frame of mind, but be responsible cause there's a war going on.

Don't you think this changed around the year 2000? I remember in the 90s, even though I was under 10 the whole decade, it was cool to act older. While now it's the complete opposite.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This article is among the few things on this site I actually agree with. We have been corrupted, mutilated as a society to believe that youth is what is necessary to be loved, to be accepted by society. This is sad. This has probably been intentional, yet not for the purpose of forging a society that will obey its regal masters. It would be more likely to be influenced by man's oldest vice...greed.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Maybe the elite have so much control the children and teens of todays world don't even realize that they are being manipulated.

Don't hate the players (the people/children/teens), hate the game (government and political organizations).

Some people don't have control over their environments.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Stupid is not the same as fearless.

I always think its funny when people say someone doing something dangerous is stupid.

Stupid would imply ignorance of the consequences.

Maybe they are risk takers.
Maybe they have different priorities.
Maybe they are unwilling to make compromises.
Maybe they are unafraid.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Then how are today's youth suppose to behave? Talk about intellectual subjects all day long? There's not much to gain there, most people will end up doing menial jobs where they don't have to know a lot of things in order to do their jobs well. Point being knowledge is something unnecessary in most people's lives, why waste your time on something you can't use?

Talk about the bigger things in life, the hereafter, existence of other life? That only comes at a certain age and only then perhaps one conversation and that's it. I don't believe anyone should attempt to explain the bigger things in life, unless it's a working theory preventing one from going mad or when it's done living the life of a monk or nun.

Talk about climate change, the world wide crisis, wars, the many injustices in the world? Might appear better than talking about the "he said, she said" but probably nothing will come from it, no one will for example, start a micro credit donation, or go out and protest against some law or whatever.

If humans are born a caring and social species, learning about fellow humans in the same world while growing up would only make anyone less caring and social, since there is nothing an individual can do about it. We can discuss war, we just can't do anything about it. We can discuss famine, there's just not anything we can do about it. Most things are just too depressing to talk about, leaving one with not much more than a sense of hopelessness. Well we could but then we'd lose time or money which could be better spend on trivial things that makes one forget the sorry state of this world.

So better talk about the light hearted subjects, pretend everything will be ok and be the best you can be at that.

[edit on 17/12/2009 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jboogienoj
reply to post by unityemissions

Unfortunately the music has gone the wrong direction too.

I just feel that the kids who are going to be tomorrows adults are lacking depth and 'humanity'. It's weird.

man, this is so pretentious. there has always been tons of poor excuse for music just like now we have wealth of well crafted mind blowing music. you know who this "oh this generation music sucks" come from? from people who dont know jack about music and music theory. it is so easy to sit on your high horse and blabber about stuff you dont have a slightest idea. some of today`s acts put yesterday`s simplistic press darlings like AC/DC, Nirvana, Rolling Stones to shame. they always present such acts like pinnacle of music ingenuity. give me a break. since those olden days music crafting and instrument playing evolved tons. i bet all these haters love listening to today`s 3 chord pop rock sh*t that`s now on the radio.

Buckethead
Opeth
The Mars Volta
Estradasphere
Meshuggah
Blotted Science
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Blood Brothers
Spastic Ink

[edit on 17-12-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i am not good with words since English is not my primary language, but all this high talk above infuriates me. all that talk about how this generation is dumb and all. all this attempt at sounding intelligent at the price of omitting substance from their speech. some need to do a lot of growing up to do, perhaps not the type Paris Hilton followers are up for, but gain more understanding of how things really work in this life. the fact that you put up this cliche grown up facade doesnt put the corresponding substance behind it. anyone with vision undiluted with society`s stereotypes it imposes upon you can see thru that. bottom line this generation doesnt always fit your cute little stereotypes.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsvolta
i but all this high talk above infuriates me. all that talk about how this generation is dumb and all. all this attempt at sounding intelligent at the price of omitting substance from their speech.

I have to agree with you there. I think the "the younger generation is so stupid, reckless etc." talk has always happened, and always will happen, regardless of what era it is. People of the past have merely been controlled in slightly different ways, and with the advancement of technology this is happening sevenfold. Mind you I'm not forgiving anyone of their irresponsibility, but rather asking you to see that it's not completely their fault and is more of a Western societal issue which spans every age.
Edit to add: ^ Currently the majority of people are controlled by use of popular culture, which definitely and highly contributes to this unhealthy obsession with being "cool and beautiful".

[edit on 17-12-2009 by captain_planet]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Kids These Days

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint." -- Hesiod, ca. 700 BC

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by captain_planet

Originally posted by marsvolta
i but all this high talk above infuriates me. all that talk about how this generation is dumb and all. all this attempt at sounding intelligent at the price of omitting substance from their speech.

I have to agree with you there. I think the "the younger generation is so stupid, reckless etc." talk has always happened, and always will happen, regardless of what era it is. People of the past have merely been controlled in slightly different ways, and with the advancement of technology this is happening sevenfold. Mind you I'm not forgiving anyone of their irresponsibility, but rather asking you to see that it's not completely their fault and is more of a Western societal issue which spans every age.
Edit to add: ^ Currently the majority of people are controlled by use of popular culture, which definitely and highly contributes to this unhealthy obsession with being "cool and beautiful".

[edit on 17-12-2009 by captain_planet]

i agree with you, but uh...someone above talks about his roomie "who wanted to watch that "kiddie stuff" , but that he told his friend he`d rather watch grown up stuff like evening news and how he told him that his friend belongs in a psych ward." sorry, but this is exactly the type of kiddie talk he is trying to get away from. reeks of Paris Hilton mind. the fact that he puts down his peers( i am from the same age group) this way doesnt necessarily make him all grown up and experienced, rather shows how he craves acceptance from older people. he says his peers love mindless partying and dont know that "life is not all about that". here he acts as if he cracked some philosophical stone and knows the meaning of life and what life is truly about. i can take this kind of behavior from my parents or people around that age but not from my generation. thankfully our world is full of free spirit pioneers who move the world ahead, otherwise we`d be stuck in a middle ages society of "morals" where perfectly dressed and behaving according to their age men and women burned the witches on a stake without giving it a second thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join