It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Cool/Hip to Act Young and Stupid.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Hello,

I look forward to watching the videos after reading the thread. I think some members have hit the nail on the head in saying that perhaps it is more of a spiritual or unseen war being waged on humanity in our being dumbed down, apathetic, and self centered.

I was going to start a thread on the very same idea but since it is already covered here I will just tag along. (Im lazy afterall lol)

Here is everything as predicted nearly 2000 years ago via the Bible...

2 Timothy 3

Godlessness in the Last Days

1But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

Luke 8:14
The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

Proverbs 10:23
A fool finds pleasure in evil conduct, but a man of understanding delights in wisdom.

Proverbs 18:2
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions. = (this reminds me of facebook lol)

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?

Sorry to thump my Bible on you!

Edit to add: The other thing I immediatley thought of after reading the thread title was that movie "Idiocracy" if you havent seen it yet you can order it for $5 on walmarts website with free shipping to store etc. It seems like a scenario that could just play out...

[edit on 17-12-2009 by tnt3kgt]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A lotta the baby boomer generation is in their midlife stage. In my opinion this is probably the route cause, they want to go be young and stupid for the last time before age wont let them...this can rub off onto kids and teens making them think being young and stupid is good. Thats my thought anyway.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yes this is ridiculous and I'm very very worried for the future..Being a 13 year old, I'm exposed to many idiots who's interests seemed to be only: fighting, drinking, smoking, texting, "chilling".

Not painting,nobody reads, nobody cares what is going on in the world, no one actually thinks about the things that matter.

I'm not sure who's to blame most: tv and movies having influence over impressional children from birth. (Like on Nick and Disney the cool kids are dumb as a moose and shockingly, these "kid" channels have makeout scenes!).

Or the music, mainly rap as it is favored most by underachievors, for it's constant degradation of women (in lyrics and videos), many drug and gang references, obscene language, and etc.

As long as these things and qualities are revered as "cool", society is going to keep falling apart...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Miss_Chievous666

I would say it is a variety of things, more than any one particular aspect.

Traditional Media that is no more substantial than baby food, and far more damaging to a developing psyche.

A nearly complete lack of parenting by the generations born between the 60's & the 80's. I find that most people in that range are little more than spoiled teenagers in a 40 year olds body and have little desire to care or nurture for the lives they brought into the world.

School systems that serve as degree farms from grade school to university, and employ teachers who care little beyond their paycheque and view students as "Precious Snowflakes".

The popularizing of idiocy through the entirety of mainstream comedy. Comedy no longer has any aspects of Wit or Humor, it is almost entirely based on simply acting like an idiot. Family Guy, American Dad, any Will Ferrel film.

In conclusion, it is not just that being stupid is fashionable, it is that people are not taught to be anything else. The stereotype of the fat and jovial, yet mostly functionally retarded American Male, or the English Chav, has become portrayed as what everyone should aspire to be, and as progressive generations are born and see only that in their living role models, they grow into it by default.

Truly, Rome is burning while we all fiddle out of tune, for nobody can read the notes to the proper song.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Agreed. Too much individualism. WAAAY too much.

(Though I'm not sure what this is about "looks" younger, "looks" are irrelevant, experience, knowledge, and priorities are what count.)

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I though, just can't imagine EVER being like my grandparents and would struggle to see myself as my parents are. I'm far too immature. But one day I will be in their shoes. It does scare me a little to think of a society comprised of solely my generation.

Does this mean you don't think you could ever become that mature? If not, why not? Why give up?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
That could possibly be true for our society, but when it comes to our society's indivuals I don't think the same thing can be said. " a person is smart, but people are stupid panicing creatures".

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I Dont think this is confined to the U.S. Ive noticed that young adults these days are more concerned about what they can get right now with scant regard for there future.

I think materialism and pop culture has a lot to do with it. Here in the U.K. Kids wants to be famouse for the sake of bieng famouse. An ideal they get from shows like the X factor and Big brother.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Nowadays its cool to be stupid and if you try to say something smart you will look dumb

Why???

I think that answer is mainstream pop culture and mind control

Just look some of the Illuminati puppets (Lady Gaga etc)

Kids are brainwashed , they believe everything they hear

Few years ago we were laughing when american teens didnt know where Europe is but now it is happening to us

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join