It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Find Your Totem Animal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
so i plan on looking up symbolism myself, and also using my intuition...

but what of an Owl totem? what is this trying to teach/show me?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

edit: YOU MEANT CRRRRROW!

I don't know much about crows. I'd have to ask...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

Crows are very intelligent creatures. I'm very lucky to have crow as my totem.
For some reason crows have always been around me.

Crows have many different 'voices' aside from the CAW! we all know. They usually scavenge in groups and tend to have lookouts in several places while they feed. Other times they will warn other animals of hunters or other dangers in the area. This habit has led Crow to be thought of as the keeper of knowledge.

The most common symbology for crows are as harbingers of death and death(which is simply another word for change through rebirth) but in my experience they're just tricksters trying to send you a message in their own confusing way. They almost always represent the ability to travel between gateways, whether its life and death or simply your problems and their possible solutions and their black wings represent the capability to create new things in our lives.

Hope that helps any other crows out there

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

It's up to you to decide what you need to take from your totem. I can't tell you exactly what it means for you personally. However, this is my reply to another individual with an owl totem.

When I think of an owl I think of wisdom, insight, and clairvoyance.

It is also a meat eater, which means it can be a warrior if challenged or threatened. hmm...owls can also see around them in every direction which would symbolise great awareness. It has predator vision which means that it sees clearly through the veils of life. I've also heard that many of the Elders which are more clairvoyant than others have the totem of an owl.

...I've always secretly wanted to quote myself!

Oh, also on page 2 is another posters insight into what an owl represents for them. It's pretty similar to mine.

edit to add: for ease of access I am quoting Seiko from page 2.

The owl represents wisdom firstly, but more then that they represent wisdom beyond the shadow. The veil or the illusions that trick us in confusion or fear.

They tell us to look past our fear or the darkness into the coming light.

Their wisdom lies in the ability to see through the night.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It's all well and fine to go look up websites for what an animal might "mean" to you but they all differ and quite frankly I would care to bet some of it is just made up.
Meanings vary from culture to culture so it comes down to; you choose the culture you want to attach the meaning to, OR: you can concentrate on the animal itself and let it tell you what it means.
BUT, does it have to mean anything? Are we trying to impose our values on nature and shape it to our subconscious desires?
Beauty simply is, and sometimes that in itself is enough of a message, a reminder of how terribly beautiful the world is if we stop long enough to really take it in.
What I'm trying to say is don't give too much credence to what these sites might say as far as what any animal means, Try to make it more intimate and personal, every animal is an individual and will carry a different message from another of the same species. They are as different from each other as you are to me. This is YOUR experience, not anyone else's!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by futurewolfaqua

Thank you for that. Crows are a little...well...strange to me.
Of course there's nothing wrong with them, they just strike me as....I don't know....the "rainman" of the animal kingdom.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It's all well and fine to go look up websites for what an animal might "mean" to you but they all differ and quite frankly I would care to bet some of it is just made up.
Meanings vary from culture to culture so it comes down to; you choose the culture you want to attach the meaning to, OR: you can concentrate on the animal itself and let it tell you what it means.
BUT, does it have to mean anything? Are we trying to impose our values on nature and shape it to our subconscious desires?
Beauty simply is, and sometimes that in itself is enough of a message, a reminder of how terribly beautiful the world is if we stop long enough to really take it in.
What I'm trying to say is don't give too much credence to what these sites might say as far as what any animal means, Try to make it more intimate and personal, every animal is an individual and will carry a different message from another of the same species. They are as different from each other as you are to me. This is YOUR experience, not anyone else's!

Could not have said it better myself.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by djusdjus

I didn't intend to be "white bashing" by saying that the white mans way gives us nothing in the way of nature spirituality. I said that as a modern, white american. You gave some european shamanistic traditions as examples of white man offering a way. Are these LIVING TRADITIONS that we can learn? That was my point unless you count Thoreau, Muir or Aldo Leopold and handful of post-industrial white men who were trying to find a way back.
I'm very familiar with shamanic traditions which as you should know, are found in EVERY culture. There are a some commonalities between them but they vary more than they are the same. Even their visions of the overworld and underworld vary, but I digress. Try out their methods and use what works for you, no-one should be bound by any particular cultural practices (though they often function best when done within a cultural framework as it offers a complete system with an understood cosmology)
I am white by the way, and proud to be so although I do have a some native blood as well. I'm not ashamed of my race, just my government

Hey, anyone care to guess what my totem animal is?

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Asktheanimals]

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Hey, anyone care to guess what my totem animal is?

Hmm, would it happen to be in your avatar?

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Xaphan]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Hmm...I would think of you as a dragon...but that's just from my interpretations of their characteristics. Of course I'm not going to be right....It's a set up!

A2D

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Dragon? Was it my breath?
My totem animal is the rattlesnake although the painting in my avatar is kinda cut off so it;s hard to tell exactly what it is. I have had many spirit animals as guides in my life, some come in dreams and every once in a while I actually dream I am the animal. Those are really special experiences. I dreamt I was bear and I could smell EVERYTHING around me for a good distance, it was an incredible feeling. Only a few days after that dream I found fresh bear tracks in an old campsite of mine. I had been sleeping only 30 yards or so from where the black bear walked right though my old fire pit.
I would heartily recommend learning animal tracking as a doorway into a deeper connection with nature, you will be amazed at what you have been missing all along. I know a few really good teachers if you're interested.
Again, thanks for the thread A2D! I appreciate the opportunity to share on this subject since I love nature so much.
What part of the country do you live in?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

No it certainly wasn't your breath. Although, you may want to keep up on that...it could lead to all sorts of "problems".

The only reason I thought dragon is because of the reptile avatar and the fact that you're on ATS. The dragon to me represents mysticism, the supernatural and change or transformation. Which is something that I personally associate with ATS.

Thank you again for your contribution. I wish I had the time to really learn animal tracks and spend time examining the wild like that. Unfortunately, I don't. I live in the midwest and spend most of my time working...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I performed the prescribed meditation as described in the opening post yesterday afternoon. The best thing about it for me at least was how peaceful and tranquil the setting my mind, almost automatically, conjured for me. I felt like I could just fall asleep there and be totally safe.

Anyhow, the animal that appeared in my mind while doing this was, of all things, a moose! I've never even seen a moose before lol. Any insights or suggestions? Note that I treat all of this with a healthy dose of skepticism, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of spirituality or open-mindedness. In fact, I keep the two (empirical skepticism and my conscious choice to be spiritual despite it) separate, generally.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I understand what you say about an open dose of skepticism. Most people relate this type of stuff to something akin to zodiac signs and the like.

However, a MOOSE! HOW WONDERFUL!! When I hear moose, I think...strong, self-esteem and longevity. Moose are awkward and graceful at the same time. They may not move quickly, but they're very decisive. Moose totems know when to be gentle and when to be strong. They're very wise for their age and only get wiser as they go. Good totem to have!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Well, that sort of makes sense. Perhaps I need to learn to be more assertive and "strong." I do always tend to let people walk all over me. A moose wouldn't do that LOL.(Unless, according to Wikipedia, you hit them in the nose... and I have horrible sinus and allergic issues... hmmm lol.)

[edit on 12/5/2009 by AceWombat04]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

That's similar to the same problem I have with the playfulness of the otter. I find myself being exploited all the time because of my attitude towards life. As long as I'm having fun, I don't care. I've ended up paying for people to come with me on a vacation because I thought it'd be more fun.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hmmm. Well I guess it comes down to whether it's detrimental to you or not. If you're gaining more from the joy of having fun with those people whose trips you paid for than you are being hurt by it, then I guess that's okay. But if it's at your expense and to your detriment, then that's another story.

I'm always doing things like that too (though I couldn't afford to pay for people's trips lol.) Maybe I need to "grow some antlers."

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

right...why don't you grow a pair

and instead of crackin clams...i'll start crackin skulls!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I'm telling you...a Totem-Tank will crack a skull with little or no momentum.

Just focus and it will come to you.

I am a newly registered Tech-Shamen...I know what I am talking about.

But...more on subject- You said people sometimes "take advantage of you"

Why do you think people find this easy to do? You seem like a very straightforward guy who believes in invisible-animals.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Look, you clearly don't understand what I'm talking about nor are you trying. You are being distasteful and frankly I'm not enjoying it.

I'm easily taken advantage of, not because of my belief systems, but rather, because of my outlook on life. I'm a child at heart and I like to have fun. Like I said, as long as I'm having fun, I don't care about what it costs. I'm very easy going and an enjoyable person. I don't like to sit around and sulk. I enjoy life. I live it. You on the other hand, spend your time on the internet making fun of people because they are different than you.

Why don't you try something new? I'm tired of you. Please, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Thank you for your time...and impatience.......and intolerance......and everything else.

Respectfully asking you not to come back...
A2D

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

That is the third time you have attacked me rudely...I am just trying to "join" your thread's discussion. Not once have I attacked you.

You have made fun of my tech-totems (though YOU believe in Animal-ones), you have called me an "internet scab" in less colorful words, and now you SAY I don't "understand your meanings and points"...

Looky here Mr "I pay for people to Vacation with me"...I UNDERSTAND your concept. I knew of totem animals before you were even born (if that puppy in your avatar is you), and I sure do not enjoy you telling me "I don't get it".

Your concept is WAY TO EASY for a man of my awesomeness not to grasp.

You are just mad that my Totem-Tech is far superior and way more cooler then junky animals.

ASK ANYONE! What is cooler? A TANK-TOTEM or a weak little Otter? Seriously....YOUR THE ONE who is "not getting IT"!

Man...you animal-shamens are all the same....always crapping on us Tech-Shamens because we rule and animals drool.

I'm sick of it!

But...being the far more "powerful" Shamen here...I forgive you for your bad additude and unwelcoming lack of charm.

With that said...I'm going to go summon my Totem-Tank and run down a village of Totem-Animals...just to make things square.

GOOD DAY!

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Mr Mask]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join