It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letting go of your dreams for SHTF

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am a wedding coordinator and floral designer. I am also preparing my family
for SHTF.
I don't know what will happen,or where my family will end up at.I have been
stocking up on supplies and learning new skills.I have been learning to can
foods and shoot a gun.I have been reading survival manuals and trying to lose
weight.
The hardest thing for me is letting go of my dreams.I have spent a lot of time
and money on my wedding business. Now,I have to go through my supplies and
see if anything can be of use. So far,only the candles,matches,chaffing dish fuel,
plastic tubs(silk flowers are stored in),maybe my white tablecloths(bandages),
black tablecloths(blackout windows),napkins(bandages)could be used.
All the rest is of no practical use and will end up on the auction block.Now,I
wish I had the money I spent on these items to buy supplies,ammo...

I would like to hear from others on what they are giving up for their families
survival.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I am a wedding coordinator and floral designer. I am also preparing my family
for SHTF.
I don't know what will happen,or where my family will end up at.I have been
stocking up on supplies and learning new skills.I have been learning to can
foods and shoot a gun.I have been reading survival manuals and trying to lose
weight.
The hardest thing for me is letting go of my dreams.I have spent a lot of time
and money on my wedding business. Now,I have to go through my supplies and
see if anything can be of use. So far,only the candles,matches,chaffing dish fuel,
plastic tubs(silk flowers are stored in),maybe my white tablecloths(bandages),
black tablecloths(blackout windows),napkins(bandages)could be used.
All the rest is of no practical use and will end up on the auction block.Now,I
wish I had the money I spent on these items to buy supplies,ammo...

I would like to hear from others on what they are giving up for their families
survival.

I wouldnt dwell to much on SHTF FRIEND enjoy the life given to you and all you love around you and most important HAVE FAITH IT WILL GUIDE YOU AND YOUR LOVE 1Z THROUGH ANYTHING.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I can see the writing on the wall and I'm letting go of my business.
I have already told the state I'm closing down the end of december.
I appreciate your kind thoughts and words.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Echoing the previous post, I think you need to strike a balance. I was brought up a survivalist. My dad was in the Army and I grew up during the heart of the Cold War. We also survived a devastating tornado when I was an infant. Needless to say we had survival/emergency supplies.

I am 100% for being as prepared as you can be. Stockpile the essentials; write-up a family plan; compile research and references; learn applicable skills. But don't obsess on it. Don't consume yourself or your family in the SHTF watch. Thyink of it this way: I've owned a fire extinguisher my entire adult life. I've never had occasion to use one. I've always owned at least one gun. Never had to use that either. But in the extremely unlikely event that I need either it is better to have them than not.

Same concept as survival. Prepare for the worst. Live for the best.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I am giving up a multinational corporation in pursuing a similar course. Talk about giving up your dreams...

FWIW my advice is to follow your heart/inner voice and the rest will take care of itself and bring greater happiness and contentment than following the path the society tends to push us toward.

- PM

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Barring other problems, why did you shut down your business? I hope it wasn't solely beacuse of the chance of SHTF happening. In fact, I think it would be better to have a business up and running to get money to purchase guns, supplies, tools etc... Sure, now you need to file with a department that you are closing down, but if the SHTF, just abandon it. The government (if it is still there) will not care that somebody just abandoned their store without filing the proper paperwork.
You should keep your business up and running until the very last moment. And you'll know when that moment comes, because people will stop worrying about weddings and start worrying about the mushroom cloud floating above them.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've been in your spot for the last 25 years mamabeth. I suppose it's become an obsession with me since I devote all my spare time to some aspect of survival. I really do regret spending so much time on it, I think I could have derived much more pleasure from life had I not been so singularly focused. That said, my heart is telling me that by next spring at the latest America will be in serious deep do-do.
I applaud you for taking the steps you have. It is prudent to learn these skills and be stocked up with at least a few months worth of supplies. At some point those supplies will run out - what happens then? Can you hunt/trap/forage? Will you be in a place where you can even do that?
It can crive one crazy trying to make sure you have every angle covered, the fact is you can't. Odds with a group improve greatly. Find others of like mind and start networking, locally if possible.
Make sure you have a good water filter and some non-hybrid vegetable seeds. Do try to keep your dreams alive, this dreaded shoe may never fall. Who knows?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

My business is home-based,no store to abandon,I still have my inventory.
My son is going to pick up some of the supplies I've been storing.I started
going through my inventory to see what could be useful,that's when I got
emotional.
Does anyone know if silverplated items would be of any use?I don't have
sterling silver,just silverplated.I would appreciate any answers.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Most likely the S will be a world war. But then again most people now are not the honorable kind like in the Great Depression. So it could still happen. Probably not overnight but a creeping increase in crime, etc.

But I agree with the others. You should not have given up your business. You can still try to balance both.

BTW, the safest place if ever such a scenario occurs would be in a bulletproof vehicle. I'd get a used one if I can afford it. It came to mind after the recent Nigerian night of terror and thinking about this attack in my country: www.lazamboangatimes.com...
www.lazamboangatimes.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
SHTF...............Wow. I don't about everyone else but I would to add a little something this I see all the time on ATS. Everyone talks and says how they are preparing for this event and that is fine however why do those people tell the world about what they are doing! Think about this, when I get ready all I would have to do is to get rid of someone that has already prepared! I don't care how tough or ready you think you are, but a small group with the same intension, you have no chance at all to protect against that.

You want to be ready for the SHTF, to be safe just shut up and tell no one.

Tru

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by truskeptic

Nobody knows which state that I live in or where my SHTF destination
is.I don't mention what I've got and my son is taking everything away soon.
If I don't worry about the credit card companies, that track everything
I buy,why should I worry about you?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Questions friends, what if the shtf is a CELESTIAL RELATED ELE type of event and you cannot go anywhere then what? Plz explain what are you gonna do, PRAY YES PRAY. SO in the END/BEGINNING if its out of all your hands what is your STRATEGY then RETURN BACK TO GOD OR JUST DIE??????

[edit on 10/29/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You have to worry about from me, I am saying the facts of bragging can bite you in the arse! Every mod on ATS can get your and has your IP address, any hacker can get your IP address. And every piece of property that you own, lease on rent is public domain. All I am saying as a fellow ATS'er think about who and where you telling your plans! If I was following your movements and was going take your “stuff”, I wouldn't be telling you all this.......... Just trying to give you some "free" advise.

Tru

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Just because there is a remote possibility that your house could explode from a gas leak doesn't mean you shouldn't own a fire extinguisher. There are some things you cannot prepare for. No matter what. There are things that could happen that could make all your preparations useless.

The idea is to prepare for what you can --- just in case --- and then go on living your life.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That's a great question.
I imagine the E.L.E.would be terrestrial,volcano eruption,earthquakes,
nuclear war and winter,polar shift,disease,famine and last but not least,
nwo population control.
I would pray!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'm well stocked and anyone brave or stupid enough to want to take what I have feel free to try. You can have my AK when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

PS - my food stocks do not include snacks, sorry no twinkie for you!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
How sad. To give in to hopelessness and despair. not to mention delusional paranoia. Get some therapy. The world really insn't as horrible as some would have you believe. I'm leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow tol start a new career in a new country. I'll never let go of my dreams for anything. Life is a gift. It's meant to be lived to the fullest extent your talents and drive can take you. Why give in to fear?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I checked all my postings and I have blabbed some,but I wasn't bragging.
I am armed , not afraid to shoot and I don't dial 911.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I sam not giving up on all my dreams. I know my dream of being a homeowner is squashed due to the recession and tightening rules on buying a house. Now bad credit is considered 620! I just wanted protetction that comes with owning my own house; payments do not go up, I don't have to worry about renewing a lease and I can't be evicted because some manager does not like me. I always pay my housing first and on time yet when you rent that doesn't always mean muchZZZ!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Everytime I try to do something,something else has priority.My husband,
my kids',my grandkids' and what I want seems to come last.
If I need therapy,I talk to the Lord.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join