It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD's 'Orwellian' anti-terror ads creeping out viewers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

LAPD's 'Orwellian' anti-terror ads creeping out viewers

rawstory.com

An ad released by the Los Angeles Police Department urging the public to participate in an anti-terror snooping program is being described by numerous observers and news sources by a single word: Creepy.

The one-and-a-half minute spot, which can be viewed below, features a multicultural line-up of speakers explaining why they participate in iWatch, a "neighborhood watch for the whole city," as the ad describes it.

"If you see, hear, or smell something suspicious, report it. Reporting is easy. Use the web or the phone," the speakers state. "A single report can lead to actions that ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh, I doubt if people would use this Orwellian tactic to rat out their boss. Or ex husbands or anyone they might have a grudge against. No person in their right mind would bear false witness. [sarcasm]

"If you see, hear, or smell something suspicious,

Smell something suspicious? Like someone cooking shakshouka?

We all new it was going to happen sooner or later. I just wonder how long until this type of snitchery goes nation wide?

Guilty until you can prove your innocence.
Best not be flippin anyone off in traffic....

Power of the iWatch indeed!!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Holy s*** it's 1984 on my place already. Oh well looks like I better watch out!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

think about the power of iwatch

let law enforcement and the experts decide

kiss your freedom, and your rights goodbye.
*cheers to nosy and meddling neighbors..a new system for you to use and abuse...
ffs.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Welcome to the 4th Reich .

I have actually stoped trying to talk to my neighbors and reprogram them to see me as just another sheep. I think its time to start blending if you haven't allready.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Creepy indeed! Just like in the book where some kids report their parents and they get executed for being against Big Brother.

On a different note:

Originally posted by whaaa
features a multicultural line-up of speakers

I like how some americans think that a guy is hispanic simply because he's called Carlos, although he talks and looks like any other regular american.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Fair warning ATSers and especially BTSers If I detect any smells that I find offencive....

You're going down!!

And before you rag on those hip young folks on the ad....They ain't real...
just poor actors like me trying to make a living.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
So now that everyone is greater Los Angeles area have been certified as confidential informants by the LAPD, does that mean they will be getting checks from the city? That last sentence was a joke, but if I were a resident of LA, I would oppose this measure by the police department. Why should the citizens do the job of the police?

Plus, the act of spying on one's neighbor is so 1930's Germany. Has everyone forgotten about the horrors of last century? It all started with concerned citizens reporting their neighbors to the authorities for perceived infractions against the state, because they were made to believe, that by reporting suspicious activity, it was their national duty. The end result led to many innocent deaths.

I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't started frothing at the mouth at this recent attempt by the LAPD to tamper with our rights to privacy? This measure should be opposed by the people of LA because it is unnecessary and could lead to something harmful for us all. Give them one inch and they will think it is okay to take that mile.

So, will this lead to people being closely watched by their neighbors and co-workers, because they worship at a Mosque, enjoy hummus and baklava, frequent hooka establishments, or seen with prayer beads, or other attributes of Middle Eastern culture? I, in no way would support this recent measure, because, I, like others, value our privacy.

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I don't think this is funny at all.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yeah, that sort of thing is worrisome. Burn a little incense, someone thinks you'rw smoking dope. Play some foreign-language music, someone thinks you're plotting against the US. Wear some different-looking clothing, you're automatically a terrorist.

People have *already* tried to turn people in for speaking Arabic, for wearing head coverings or hijabs, for praying publicly.

My paranoid fantasy is like this: See, the police can't legally just bust in and search your place (or you), without some sort of "probable cause". They have to be able to say what it was that made them suspicious of you before they searched you. Cops hate that. But if they're responding to a complaint by a citizen who reports something "suspcious", they can search you. Not only that, the cops can *claim* that they had an "anonymous complaint", and commit a search based on that. They don't even have to wait for a phone call. Just make it up and go search whoever they want.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I guess it's a safe bet that we all ATSers will see each other in jail/prison/ FEMA camps/ whatever they decide to put us in if/when this goes state-wide.

Seriously thought, this is scary, specially if you have neighbors who hate you. guess it's time for me to be a bit more friendly with my neighbors just for precaution.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Reminds me of a advert I saw earlier which featured a woman doing gardening outside in the rain (as if that wasnt weird enough) saying to her neighbour "bad weather isnt it." Who then puts on Sunglasses and walks inside his house and the advert being for dirt remover which leaves everything sparkling.

The point is before the ad finishes the woman is shown sneaking round the back of this guys house "in suspicion," what sort of societary standard is that setting to the viewer?, in that if you see anyone acting suspicious you somehow have a right to go snooping round the back of their property and see what there up to.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow, that is freaky.
The "Spot" while it might be a good idea to keep people informed, it does have all the calling cards of "Big Brother".
I wonder what kind of things, "People" will consider "†3rrΘr!$m" and report?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
While I can understand the comments that have been made from my fellow ATS participants, I honestly don't see the harm in encouraging the public to be more observant of their surroundings.

It's basicly a larger version of the Neighborhood Watch Program that was started in 1972. A much much larger version considering the population of L.A. County alone is 10 Million +-. LAPD has roughly 10,000 officers which is a 1000:1 pop to cop ratio. That's not including surrounding areas, tourist, out of state business visitors, illegal imagrants, etc.

Factor in budgetary cutbacks, officers being fired or quitting, and the population growing daily ... It's absolutely impossible for the police force to maintain a presence that would deter criminals for conducting their business.

I agree that the system will have it's fair share of abuse, but in this case, the Pros far out weigh the Cons when it comes to protecting a city that needs all the help it can get.

Let the flaming and Pro-NWO rants commence!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Ha

Ceiling cat will have a field day with this!

I couldn't resist

This iWatch thing just may be a great intuitive way to fill up all those empty concentration camps in US through the the martial law. But I doubt many would "report" their neighbours, there is just not enough hatred there, historically speaking.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection

Factor in budgetary cutbacks, officers being fired or quitting, and the population growing daily ... It's absolutely impossible for the police force to maintain a presence that would deter criminals for conducting their business.

I agree that the system will have it's fair share of abuse, but in this case, the Pros far out weigh the Cons when it comes to protecting a city that needs all the help it can get.

Did you factor in the amount of manpower it will take to investigate all the bogus snitches?

There won't be enough real terrorists investigators left to put together a vollyball team.

Now just how would you determine the real terrorist threat from the bogus ones?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Did you factor in the amount of manpower it will take to investigate all the bogus snitches?

There won't be enough real terrorists investigators left to put together a vollyball team.

Now just how would you determine the real terrorist threat from the bogus ones?

Actually, that's not something that I myself have to worry about because I am not part of the LAPD, hell I don't even live in Cali. That is something that they are going to have to deal with.

As I said, there will no doubt be abuse to the system, but it is still a helpful effort none the less.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

As I said, there will no doubt be abuse to the system, but it is still a helpful effort none the less.

I'll bet you will be singing a different tune when you are in some holding cell while they run your prints because some snitch, you don't even know didn't like your looks and iWatched your plates.

This is going nation wide and Texas will follow California.

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
By all accounts, America uses 911 to try and get advice to fix microwaves and help with math homework. I can only imagine the calls a line like this will get.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So what was once a phantom enemy is now possibly your neighbor?

What is the criteria now for determining a 'T'?

Are the questions we ask considered 'T' actions?

Is questioning "authorities" considered "T' ism?

Are the problems we discuss here considered 'T' activities?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join