It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banks Worldwide Get Ready for the October Surprise

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I have been following this in the other ATS thread. I found this today and thought it might be related. With all the terminations in banking windows are opening for crime. Read this. Also note the FBI term cybergeddon.

Scottish financial services industry told to be on guard
against terrorists targeting computer networks

Scotland on Sunday

Major structural changes resulting from the financial crisis present opportunities for thieves both inside and outside companies.

Figures from the CBI show that financial crime costs the UK about £20 billion a year, with individuals losing at least £2.75bn.

Disgruntled former employees supplying information to criminals or low-paid staff being bribed or blackmailed into handing over data are among the key risks, the SFCG will warn at its annual conference on (last) Thursday.

Electronic – or "cyber" – crime will also be on the agenda, with security experts exploring the threat of "cybergeddon", a term coined by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to describe a terrorist attack on computer infrastructure.

Senior FBI figures have described "cybergeddon" as the third greatest threat to the United States, behind the use of weapons of mass destruction or conventional bombs.

The FBI is worried that terrorists may try to destroy computer networks, crippling the financial markets and even bringing down public utilities that rely on electronic networks to control power distribution.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

funny that this 'threat' coincides with the other threat i read on ATS found here

predictions of doom and gloom

the ultimate bastard child of the internet.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
In all fairness banks use some of the most antiquated computer systems known to human kind for security purposes.

Windows are something that the banks order in bullet proof plexi-glass not to run their computers.

Their DOS based systems are wired to one another through secure land phone lines they don't even use T-1 lines for fear they could be breached.

They don't use wireless connections or networks for fear the information can be intercepted.

In fact most IT programers wouldn't have a clue how to work on a Bank's Computer system because they would have basically had to have a 1980's computer skill set geared to terminals not personal computers.

Wow... that shows a lot of what you don't know about banks doesn't it.

I've looked a the tech in a lot of banks... and though some older ones are still antiquated... there are way too many new banks which sprung up in the last decade.... their systems are indeed networked, running Unix, and yes windows...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I will have to agree with you on this. How would you interface a website with a mainframe that is not "online"? I have worked with mainframes (granted, in a hospital setting) and to import and export data from them is just short of a miracle.

JT

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I can't answer for what is going on with everyone else's banks and credit unions, but the credit union I do business with is always down on Sunday mornings and this morning was no exception. They are online and business as usual and made no announcements in being closed any longer than the normal weekend.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I worked in the banking sector for 6years in Network infrastructure and security. I am sorry banks are not risky technology takers but I can assure you that they are very much networked. Unix is probably the main set up as this is more stable than windows. They spend millions every year on WAN and LAN tecnology.

The technology used depends on front, middle or back office running anything from proprietry systems down to networked windows based PC's.

What I find strange about this weekends stories is the lack of knowldge people had about what the banks are doing and why they did not infrom the customers prior. It also seems to follow a pattern of the merged investment / deposit banks. I bank with Halifax a despositor bank and noticed no down time. In the UK HSBC and Barclays were down as the only two main investment players. I have not heard about Standard Charted but the behaviour is slighty strange.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This may or may not have anything to do with whats happening but...

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Jeffry Picower, a prominent Palm Beach billionaire businessman and philanthropist with ties to Bernard Madoff, was found at the bottom of his pool at his residence on Sunday.

www.wpbf.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well... I can say for absolute FACT... Last night I was unable to access my account at Wachovia Bank. It was locked and "unavailable" for several hours during the night.
I often check my account at all hours of the day and night... and have NEVER seen an "unavailable" message when I tried to access my account.

Also thought I should add... Wachovia has been nothing but impossible to deal with. They are chasing customers away with insane fees and fraudulent charges against accounts. I'm currently in the process of emptying my account and taking my business to another bank.

[edit on 25/10/2009 by Yullose]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I dont know exactly, whats going on, but it is something to do with compatible systems, the "change over" has been in the works for weeks, and errors in the process HAVE been made,
for instance BoA drew 3 mortgage payments from my "other" bank account EVERY DAY for 3 days in a row,
it has caused me to have lost 679.00 in NSF charges that no one seems to want to be responsible for, and "NO" I was NOT in arrears this was some glitch that they admitted to, but did not elaborate on, its been 21 days and no resolve, very polite in conversation, but still no resolve.
Trust me I also belive something is in the works, 3 other family members, with different banks are having issues as well.
So any info or insight would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OceanBeing
This may or may not have anything to do with whats happening but...

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Jeffry Picower, a prominent Palm Beach billionaire businessman and philanthropist with ties to Bernard Madoff, was found at the bottom of his pool at his residence on Sunday.

www.wpbf.com...

I believe thats what you would call a GOOD START. Do you think we could fill the pool?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The banks are changing over to Barry Bucks. Don't worry....the all seeing eye of the Freemasons/Illuminati will still be featured prominently!

[edit on 25-10-2009 by PenandSword]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Oh, and I just saw this thread: E Trade, Scottrade, Td Ameriatrade Down

Honestly, the thread you linked above came before the blog link you posted in your original post.

I think some guy noticed everyone panicking so he wrote up a quick hoax story in his blog to help further the panic.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Regions down here in the south of the us just did some changes to their system that locked me out for a day.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I can tell you that NONE of those electronic Stock trading sites are down. I also had no trouble getting to 2 banks that I deal with.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by queuepolitely

For one thing, banks have regulations to meet, and regulations are set by many different branches of government and industry authorities. They wouldn't be able to function without keeping up to date on new IT tech.

If they did maintain an antiquated system, they would be forced out of business by such authorities for not keeping up with security (older systems are easier to abuse from within, modern systems are hard to attack from outside AND from within).

My company provides services to a large global bank here in my city. We operate security for their disaster management/continuation of business office space here. We often have calls to allow maintenance and contractor teams in because it isn't staffed unless the SHTF.

The space is as up to date as a modern office can be.

We also provide services to a high security mainframe company outsourcing space for data management, storage and recovery. Their customers are large and small banks, financial institutions and large corporations. I can guarantee you that the banks use the most up-to-date systems to maintain their stability in these matters.

If a disaster were to happen in London tomorrow (heaven forbid) all of those banking institutions would scatter to high-security offices around the country, many with vaults in the basements, and all data transferred to enable continuation.

They are most certainly not behind the times. They can't afford to be.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Yes, I do know this is just a blog, and yes, I do know that this is just a guy somewhere, unknown but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Edit to add: I know I'll be labeled fear mongering by some but to be honest, right now things DO seem to be gloomy and doomy.

[edit on 25/10/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

So you know this is a dodgy source but you start another chicken little thread anyway then you add a disclaimer "I know I'll be labeled..."

You got that right.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Ok, seriously guys? We are going to do this? If I started a thread saying, "Geez my dog is acting weird, maybe he knows the world is about to end!!" do you realize how many people i would get going OMG ME TOO!!!! ( just an example)

Nothing is going to happen. Banks, their websites, and ATMS, go down all the time. People make mistakes, machines need maintenance, software needs updating!!!

I'm in australia, and there are no problems with my bank Westpac. Either in my business, or personal account. PLease people use your brains, and enjoy halloween!!!

Cherry Duck

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

I agree, my bank seems fine. Although, it's Santander, and I'm sure they have little/no connection to any major American financial institution.

It certainly is a bit odd that all these sites were unavailable. It's strange enough for it to be commented on in various forums and blogs, not just ATS.

Aside from that, it IS leaking out about possible bad news tomorrow (CITI & Capmark) which WILL have an affect in business and the markets.

I can certainly see why people are jumpy and reporting any little odd thing their bank does right about now.

I'll say it again, tomorrow will be interesting.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
It's now 10:20, 10:36 12:34 Pm, here at zip code 29577 in USA

the BoA website is OK

the BoA telephone line for account activity is OK (800-432-1000)
and has current status of accounts, figuring Friday transactions...

so whatever the 'new' system is...its not bank activity itself ->
It is probably a new system to report all transactions over say $500.oo??
the fed/treas oligarchs

floridacommerce.org...

The above link might help to explain some of what is happening.

Currently banks and institutions all over the globe from Holland, to Germany, to the USA, to Slovenia are ALL shutting their systems down for an industry wide upgrade/disaster prep over the weekend.

When they come back up a NEW BANKING SYSTEM will be in place that is different from what was there before. This appears to have something to do with moving things towards less use of checks and more to digital transfers for bill paying.

It looks like the early stages of a move to a cashless society and nwo-style banking to me.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
At the moment it is 11Am 26th Oct 2009.... were i live. What time is this supposed to go down?

Cherry

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join