It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
well my avatar was made from creativity, not math. From it you could assume I like math, but you would be wrong, instead the idea is keep an open and creative mind.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
I definately look at avatars as containing a message of some sort. Some give their avatar more thought than others, therefore, it does reveal things about the person's mind set.....more, or less.

Anyone want to take a crack at mine?

Sex is death but c'mon give me danger little stranger ... some kinda brave psychedelic Dionysian annihilationism taste along those lines...the unity of the way of action with the way of contemplation...am I picking up on what you're putting down...?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
.moody, flippy, probably dark, feminine for sure,sex obsessed perhaps, bitchy,all the above would apply.

My dream girl...

My avatar represents my sense of humour.
A Lizard in a snake-skin jacket.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I chose my avatar because I am a male, obviously. I also feel a deep sense of power within myself and others that I am attracted to. I love art (hence the painting aspect), and war is very interesting to me as an art also (hence the warrior aspect). There are probably subconscious reasons I chose this avatar, as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I love images and believe in their power to reflect personalities.

When I look at avatars, for instance, the corrolation between them and the attitude of the poster seems to be really relevant in most instances.

It's not an exact thing, but generally a shocking avatar reflects a desire to shock in the majority of posts the member composes. Choosing an avatar has to be one of the most careful things we do here. No-one does it indiscriminately. We want to project our personality as accurately as possible simply because we need to be understood as individuals.

Each avatar or background image I make is telling everyone who I am, without fail, and done so with that purpose in mind.

The same can be said about usernames, but that would be off-topic.

So, yes, I AM affected by the influence of avatars and the images posted by members. That old line about 'a picture being worth a thousand words' falls short by about a million, imho.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Great thread!
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses and getting an opportunity to know everyone a little better. I, personally, do notice people's avatars. I've noticed that often the POV's expressed in the posts that accompany the more blatant avatars are predictable. On the other hand, I have been surprised by some.

I usually pick my avatars based on my interests. My avatar is supposed to represent Mother Earth. I have great respect for nature and wish that others did as well. After all, as it now stands, this planet is our home, provides all of our resources, and we have no where else to go; not to mention the fact that our bodies are designed specifically to live here. I think that people forget sometimes just how much we NEED and rely on our planet for basic survival. Earth doesn't need us, but we need her.
Also, when I look at my avatar, it brings me a sense of peace which is the primary reason why I chose it. I'm also interested in space, hence my 'spacey' background.

As time goes on, my avatars will change and reflect other interests as I'm sure others here will too. It's important to remember that we are all complex individuals with a variety of interests that go beyond just what our avatars represent. I try to remember that when I'm reading other's posts--especially with those that I don't particularly agree. IMO, it's also important to remember that there are human beings on the other end of those posts. People are fallible, and opinions and attitudes change given more information. At least, that's true in my case. These are just my humble opinions.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As the responses in this thread show, people are very invested in their avatars. It looks like people really want us to take a clear and hopefully accurate message from theirs as well. Sometimes its obvious, sometimes its not, and sometimes it is but a disguise. I often wonder how a particular poster intended his or her's.

Most people will reveal much more than they realize or intended.

We are not just analytical creatures, we are visual, emotional animals wired to take in all sorts of cues from our environment for our very survival. We cannot help but react to what we see in front of us.

I am a very emotional person. I absolutely hate it if and ATS page opens without its avatars displayed. I want to see who I am talking to! I rectify that as soon as I can.

Because I have lived with myself for so long,
I know to monitor my reactions to things. I usually take note of how something or someone affects me so that I can harness my reactions if needed. I have to say I get the full spectrum of emotions to the various things people use to represent themselves - from amused to "touched" to disgust.

The one's I particularly rile to, where I note the hairs standing up on my neck, are the ones that seem to scream deception (*), control and manipulation. But that is just me.

Oh, and violence ....

* edit to add: "Deception" includes not just "I am Mr. Evil" but could also be "I am pure and innocent" - not sure which I dislike most.

[edit on 10/21/2009 by wayno]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
currently Im rocking shane botwin from the Showtime series "Weeds", because after this seasons finale, He could very well be one of the most gangster characters on television right now.

Occasnally Ill get a U2U from someone who also enjoys the show.

other than starwars stuff my alvi's are usually pictures of me.

I like personal pictures as alvatars because its kind of a way of adding validity to your statements. its like, Ill say this here, and if you ever pass me in the street ill say these things there as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
What of the other side of the coin?

Images (in general) are all meant to convey a message... There's intent behind the images. I'm interested in whether that intent is noticed, internalized, acted upon...

Are we 'aware' of this? Are we reacting to the message that's being conveyed in that image and how influential is it to us as well as to the user?

Everything you see in this post, my avatar, my name, my titles and my signature, and every word I write on every post, have a meaning, a purpose, and was purposely designed to convey the message I want to convey.

I think your thread is right on the money. I hope more people will continue to explain their avatars.

I know that I definately use avatars, signatures, titles and profiles to get an idea of a person.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
i dont use one but if i was american and i did use one it would be some kind of big butch robopcop jobbie .. holding some big masculine mean looking movverf@@@er of a gun whilst smoking a cigarette for effect.

however i think your ever evolving avatars are greal lady s.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by manxman2]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I picked mine because I don't need to rely on anything but my words.

I don't really need a second line.
-rrr

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yes, avatars influence me. If I see a beautiful avvy, or one that makes me chuckle I usually shoot off a u2u thanking the member for making my day. Conversely the politically charged avvys tend to piss me off.

Mine is personal but not deep. Wolverine is Canadian, tough but he cares.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
We're all slightly Freaky aren't we?

A picture paints a thousand words.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Now that's a creepy creepy creepy avi!!!!
it gives me the chills!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I guess my avatar could have a few esoteric meanings, but I picked it because I think it looks cool.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I chose my avatar because I'm a fan of spooky things,and the ending of the blair witch movie was that.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I dont even know if mine shows up.???? haha

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I still prefered the outhouse one.

Actually I sometimes look at posts, think this sounds just like X and then realize it is them just with a new avatar.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
ok, nevermind... haha

i chose mine because it represents the essence of soul/spirit (to me at least)

i wish i knew how to do more with it so i can make it bigger.!!!

(I need a tutorial or something....
=)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
i was watching futurama as i was making my account. i didn't put too much thought in it. i just got one so its easier to find my replies in a thread.

i dont judge people based on their avatar. first i read there post and then i make a judgment. But i do think that an avatar is directly related to age.

political avatar lates- 30s to 40s
Cartoon or anime- teens to 20s
picture of band or movie- 20s
self image-20s-30s
space or anything abstract- late teens to late 20s

i have yet to test my theory so at this point its just my opinion

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join