It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I've noticed that one's Avatar has a direct impact upon whether you get Flags and Stars or not.

I've even put it to the scientific test on ATS, posting a thread on a particular topic under one Avatar and getting pages of responses but not a single Flag or Star. Then I'll post the same topic a week later using a different Avatar (same account) and get the same amount of responses but be flooded with Flags and Stars.

It even has an impact on how much applause you get from Mods, believe it or not!

So, I am convinced that it does have a psychological impact subconsciously on the readers of your posts.

(Consequently, I'm currently using the Avatar that ensures I get no Stars & Flags no matter what I post.)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
what really bothers me is when someone has an avitar that looks like
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72fdaf0da188.jpg[/atsimg]

but they are actually this guy.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/685627cf2d8d.jpg[/atsimg]

I questioned Plucky in the past just to make sure.

BTW that isn't me. I usually wear shorts.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Hm there must be something wrong with that theory, look at all the stars! LOL
ok what did you expect after posting that? Or wait... was that reversed psychology???

what does the latin in your avi mean?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

can't agree more if it's a true picture they shown and stated that was they!
but for me, an avi presents the character of a person or his interests, not how he looks

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
Hm there must be something wrong with that theory, look at all the stars! LOL
ok what did you expect after posting that? Or wait... was that reversed psychology???

what does the latin in your avi mean?

I was thinking the same thing, laughing at the irony of getting Stars for that post.
It wasn't intentional Reverse Psychology, although I'm sure that there is further subconscious psychological impact on readers in having made such a negative statement. It's almost like it is considered by readers to be a confrontational challenge which results in them wanting to prove the opposite by being contrary.

Although I would like to think that others had just noticed the same situation themselves. There are some people I noticed who change their Avatars frequently, so I'm certain I'm not the only one who has noticed such a trend.

Oh, and by the way, the Latin is "Widsom in Silence". Kind of paradoxical of a motto for a Forum that is devoted to Denying Ignorance.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

being that this is a conspiracy site, I am quite convinced you were completely aware of your mission. You must be one of them, or they, well, you know what I mean.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Interesting thread, OP. Thank you for posting it.

I'd have to say that -- odd as it might sound -- my avatar chose me. In fact, she has importance to me that goes far beyond the small world of the Internet, and much, much further back in time.

Do I sometimes perceive people in part because of their avatars? Most certainly. Sometimes I wonder about them as they don't seem to "fit" the person, but then, words on a website are not us; they are only small reflections of some parts of our present mind, so perhaps the avatars reveal more of the true self than any words, if that is what the person wants the avatar to do.

What does my avatar reveal about me? I hope more positives than negatives.

I also hope that some receive the concept of what she really means. But if they don't, it doesn't really matter.

Mike

[edit on 21/10/09 by JustMike]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yes I think some people changes their avi's more often because they look for the one that increases their popularity. I know because I used to do that, untill I realized that the people that know you won't think different about you because of another image.

maybe try an avi that reads "I don't like stars", see if that makes people want to do the opposite

"wisdom in silence" I like that!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Very interesting!

I chose my avatar because I adore my dogs and particularly this one, Jaia. He is kind and wise and goofy and intelligent. I chose him as my avatar because I like to look at him.
I suppose people could attribute those qualities to me on first glance, but that wasn't my conscious intention. Besides, once they get to know me from reading my posts, the initial impression no longer matters.

Is it possible that your avatar is influencing other peoples perceptions of your intelligence, your likability, your credibility and your personality?

This is a really great question and I wonder about the answer. I'm sure it's possible, but only other people would be able to say whether it influences their opinion of me.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I chose mine because "The Watchmen' is my favorite graphic Novel, and probably (in my opinion), one of the best stories ever written.

The movie is garbage, read the Graphic Novel.

That's all.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
being that this is a conspiracy site, I am quite convinced you were completely aware of your mission. You must be one of them, or they, well, you know what I mean.

Precisely. A Family Crest toting, Latin Motto carrying individual on ATS that says there is "Wisdom in Silence" can only mean one thing...They *MUST* belong to one of the Bloodlines of the Illuminutty that was sent here to ATS be a Disinfo Agent, in a desperate attempt to protect and preserve the clandestine Secrets (with a capital "S" even) of TPTB.

"Mission control...cover is blown...I repeat, cover is blown. Send in extraction team asap!"

Although, maybe that's what I want people to believe...muhaahaa!

Sometimes a ten-petaled Rose may symbolize the House of Lippe, and sometimes a ten-petaled Rose may symbolize "Under the Rose" or "Sworn to Secrecy"...but sometimes a ten-petaled Rose can symbolize a Rose. And that is I think the point I was trying to make with Avatars having an impact. We will see symbolism and infer symbolism in pictures, even when none is intended. That is human nature (and on ATS, even more predominant than run of the mill human nature).

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
though I do see it very possible, I can't help but to find anyone who judges someone else by their avatar in way that might lend them more or less credibility to be a twit.

they're just pictures related to interests!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
A picture conveys a thousand words.

I chose mine to convey a message on many levels and avatars definitely have an effect on me.

I know when I see a bunch of military insignia, patriotic flag waving, political statements, religious themes, pin-up type pics etc. I make certain assumptions about the poster (face it, we all do). Those assumptions can be easily overturned with a good post but more often than not I can pretty much guess what the poster's point of view, life attitude or even intellectual level will be on many topics from their chosen avatar. This is completely natural IMO since most people will choose an avatar reflecting their personality.

I love any avatar that is somewhat clever or artistic and I'm constantly blown away by the efforts made by people to create them.

There's also the recognition factor.

In my experience people who change avatars frequently become less well known around the boards whereas people who settle with one (or a theme) for a long period of time will get a reputation attached to that avatar (can be a good or bad thing).

If a negative impression is developed then change your avatar to try and move on. IF you feel you are always challenged for no good reason every time you post then consider if you avatar is aggressive and the overall image you are projecting.

Lastly, I have a pet peeve for avatars that are too large to fit on the member profile within a thread and the image gets cut off. The maximum size is 320 pixels tall by 160 pixels wide for a good reason.

Good thread topic.

edit: added link

[edit on 21 Oct 09 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm a Quaker.

I don't have an avatar, it's unnecessary adornment

Oops, so was that smiley.

'Scuse me while I self flagellate ...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm more interested in what people have to say, and hopefully people are more interested in what others have to say too, hence no avatar.

Might set one up later though, if I can find the time.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Historical-Mozart

I thought your thread had to do w/user names? Hope I didn't step on it, sorry if I did!

LadiSkadi,

No, you did not step on it -- the mods did and I'm still peeved about it, but there's nothing that I can do about it. You have taken this idea a step further, so S&F for you.

So, tell me, what does YOUR avatar mean to you and what do you want it to convey to others? I love your avatar and am drawn to it.

I've started a thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...exploring the topic of beauty and why people are so drawn to beautiful people, whatever sex that they are attracted to, so I look forward to seeing what people say about that.

Now back to enjoying this thread of yours...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
my avatar definatelyconveys an idea about me. . . . i never eally thought about it but after reading that i see it. . . I made my avatar to convey my longing for the stars. . . sounds cheesy huh

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Now, who has the most influential Avatar on ATS ?????

I actually don't like that one at all. I think people who are "trying" to be sexy are very unsexy. It has the potential to be attractive, but the tongue just ruins it for me.

I just read the whole thread and found it a great read!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Your avatar suggests some kind of affinity with the universe. I think that is the word I that best describes it. I love avatars that are interesting and spiritual in nature, and I think that they do reflect some of our id in some part on the forum. I always use some version of myself, as want people to see me, as I really am. My new avatar is unedited and was captured on my camphone which is a samsung tocco. I thought it was so strange that I had to use it as an avatar, I don't look 46 and my ages look strange. I had to share it, and it does make for an unusual avatar. What it says about me; I don't know. However, I do like seeing other people's avatars' and the personality of the individual seems to really come out in the truly artistic avatars..

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join