It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I believe that I react to other peoples avatars...here on ATS anyhow...more positively..

1) they have taken the time to read how to attach one, which means they are capable of researching something.

2) what they choose is pretty unimportant considering its typically something they like, find ironic, etc...and I really don't care much about the content, however I will react positively if there is eye candy there...well put together, or clearly stating something, etc...

however..

if its too much over the top, then that makes me consider the person as absorbed in their own ego...which may effect the quality of their debating skills (ego = must be right even when wrong...and will become irrational if they find themselves on the losing end of a discussion).

oh, and finally, I chose my avatar because I like doritos, and the colors are close to a doritos bag :-) (oh, and something about my name I spose)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I like Killzone (a video game) so I knew I had to include the Helghast Trieskelon and the Helghast soldier in my avatar.

But the "One of Many" is a lot more serious. I am one of many who are fed up, one of many who won't take it anymore, and one of many who will hopefully one day make a change. Add that with the scary killzone images, and you've got my general attitude with how things are today.

Peace,
FK

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rachel07

You may want to set that avatar as a background image - it is stretching your posts. There are video tutorials on it if you need them - just search if you're interested.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Consider the implications [and] possibilities for social and psychological manipulation... The possibilities are endless...

Before I start reading through your thread, I wanted to stop and address this one comment. I want to give you a new word, which may help in your searches. Its called 'conditioning'.

Look up 'Classical & Controlled Conditioning'. Symbolism is used to condition people into buying products, or to rally people under the banner of patriotism. Its everywhere and it does have an impact.

Think about advertising jingles. How much of an affect do you think they have?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here is a last year's thread that might be of interest to many here.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

Entertaining.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

As far as the "pscho.social angle of image manipulation" Yes I do believe you are correct.

Ive noticed that some of the most femine ones often speak gently, a reflection of their personality.

Some males with more violent looking avatars often argue consistantly with me, they do try to intimidate me but I dont back down.

Any alien avatars speak for themselves. The same with Religious avatars.

I havent quite pegged the people with no avatars. I assume they may not know how to add an image or dont care to be catagorized.

Some avatars conflict their personality, from my experience. Some of the enhanced writers on here have weird avatars.

I love Sociology and Psychology it’s very interesting.

I often wonder what people think of my avatar, it was supposed to resemble cautiously looking in but Ive also been looked at as a spy twice. Very odd.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, pun intended.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by LadySkadi

I often wonder what people think of my avatar, it was supposed to resemble cautiously looking in but Ive also been looked at as a spy twice. Very odd.

I'll try.

Hmmm... your avatar makes me think you have a strong belief that humans are often defined only for their exterior even though you have a certainty their real power comes from within. You are a lover of beauty but believe true beauty to be far beyond superficial. Despite being an astute and often obsessive observer of the world what wonders you most is not so much what you see but instead what you can't see but feel is there all the same.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I forgot to add social profiles of user names are also of interest.

Sometimes they say a lot. at other times not much like a user name such as cantthinkofaname or youranarse I didnt mean to single any user out, just an example.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by InTrueFiction

Your right cool!

Let me guess yours. I’ll probably be wrong though. I’d say your avatar means you are a bit wild, perhaps aggressive at times, yet also have the gift to step back listen and learn.

Am I close or in left field?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
While there might be a minority who intend their avatar to relay a certain message, mostly I would suggest avatars are just members expressing themselves.

I drew my own.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
i just picked a random image from my camera that i polarized. I come here for the threads, not an avatar fashion statement

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Your right cool!

Let me guess yours. I’ll probably be wrong though. I’d say your avatar means you are a bit wild, perhaps aggressive at times, yet also have the gift to step back listen and learn.

Am I close or in left field?

That's probably very accurate.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Great!

I'm glad!

I didnt want to think you might be showing off your behind.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I decided to use this as my avatar because it reminds me to keep humor in all things. Too often when I start down these rabbit holes I lose perspective and start to get down on myself. This is just a reminder to take it easy ... have some fun ... be happy that we have all this interesting stuff to talk about. Plus it had an Alien suit in it so thats always a plus for me.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Great!

I'm glad!

Ah yes thanks for not choosing that option first.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3390b9d33be1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I chose this avatar because it is a picture of me as I feel inside..an elf..which represents smart a$$ness, a prankster and an attitude of "life is fun"..I'm a huge practical joker and I love life..much like elves do
Although Ive also had people say, "nice Spock ears"..lol

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

That is funny. It's hard to take that face seriously. It made me smile when your avatar popped up. Good point about adding some humor when heading down the rabbit holes.

Your also right about the Alien part.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My avatar is actually a pic of me, that i played with in photoshop. It represents the mask most people wear to hide behind. It also represents my favorite rap group.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Here is a last year's thread that might be of interest to many here.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

I'm quite interested, thanks for posting it!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTrueFiction

Great!

I'm glad!

Ah yes thanks for not choosing that option first.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3390b9d33be1.jpg[/atsimg]

Funny, no it looks great. The design is quite slimming. How did you do that so fast? Youre also as clever as a cat.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join