It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
When I joined ATS, I was pretty heavy into Everquest. The darkelf was my favorite character. The avatar is a necromancer from the old EQ Caster's Realm site which I copied and colorized using only the head. I tilted it so that his head is bowed in grief over the general state of world affairs. Although my avatar is male, I am not. I haven't changed my avatar since I joined in 2005. If the conditions of the world ever get any better, I may change it, but don't hold your breath.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
My avatar is just a reminder to everyone, that technology can very quickly get out of control.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
LadySkadi,

Great post! I always look at people's Avatars to try to determine what/who they really are, or what they represent.

I actually took quite some time picking mine. Most people would look at it and think "oh, another alien chaser/ufo type". On the contrary. Inspect it closely and you'll realize that man will eventually destroy ourselves only to be found years from now by what we probably started in the first place.

No signature either....I keep my politcal/religous/philosphical views to myself, only revealing them when needed.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I picked mine because its almost Halloween and I liked this one AD made.

I dont really care what someone's avatar is. I go by their posts. Some avys though I really like and some I wonder what they are. I do see what you mean though about someone getting a different view of you based on the avatar you have. I had one of me from an 80s party and well some people on here didnt like it and they let me know, they thought I was evil based on a picture. Its stupid if you ask me to go by an avatar on how someone is. In that case someone on here is Hugh Jackman to me in disguise

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I tried to convey a spiritual neutrality, ethereal interest and my love of the American Southwest all at once. I had no thought of how this might affect others' impression of me as that was not my intent. I think it does reflect my interest in the esoteric, paranormal, metaphysical and philosophical quite nicely.

Great thread. S+F'd

Cheers,

Erik

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I definately look at avatars as containing a message of some sort. Some give their avatar more thought than others, therefore, it does reveal things about the person's mind set.....more, or less.

Anyone want to take a crack at mine?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Caught me!

Mine is actually changing your DNA to survive the shifting of the earths axis and jump into the next higher vibrational frequency!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I picked my avatar because well, I'd rather be wandering around like a hobo with all my belongings on my back than paying off my student loans until I am 40 and subsequently paying off a house for the remainder of my existence. The only reason I don't do so is my parents co-signing my loans. I'd rather not contribute to the system at all now that I know it's purpose and I would like to get more in-tune with nature and help return it to a state of balance.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by wanderingwaldo]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
I definately look at avatars as containing a message of some sort. Some give their avatar more thought than others, therefore, it does reveal things about the person's mind set.....more, or less.

Anyone want to take a crack at mine?

I will give it a try.

Someone watches over your back, ie, protects you.

It also could say that you are at one with your partner. From your quote, maybe God.

Im just saying what I see in your avatar and its probably wrong?

Fun to do anyways when asked

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
i picked mine cuz i like me and nature

must be hard to crack this one

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I have to admit, I'm definitely affected by avatars, so much so that whenever I see that image again I automatically think of the ATS member. I don't judge by avatars though since I see it as simply a form of self expression, like having a certain haircut or tattoo, it doesn't dictate if that person is likable, intelligent, etc..

as for my avatars, I'm a huge Bollywood fan and a proud woman of Indian descent, so I show off beautiful brown skinned women who are either bollywood actresses or models. Beauty comes is all shades but for a long time it was misrepresented in the western world as only coming in lighter shades.

btw my avatars change according to moods and occassions but they still keep the same "bollywood" theme.

[edit on 10-21-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I do very much judge other people on here by their avatars...not so much in the sense of finding some reason to look down upon them...I'm already so arrogant, that would be unnecessary extra work
...but just in the sense of doing a quick one-two, yes-or-no, cut, along the lines of "Do I have anything in common with this person at all?"...not so much "are we subculturally/social-class rolled-up-in-the-same-ball or not?", more like "are they anything like my (basic/personality/disposition) type, or one of the types that likes my type?"

... And what's interesting about yr topic here, is that even though many people seem to ostensibly choose avatars for ironic reasons, I don't recall ever thinking that I had nothing in common with someone based on their avatar, and then later deciding that we were the same type (or "now I get your avatar") after all...so either the avatar self-selection process is providing me with useful info, or else I'm too benighted to notice or remember the difference...one...

And the depictions I choose as avatars, while not (being or closely resembling) my actual photographs, are pretty much selected because they give off a similar emotional reek (I think) to that given off by my actual photographs...so I guess I'm playing fair, putting back in what I'm trying to take out, by accurately depicting my particular type...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
It ain't pretty but it is a self portrait. It's true, I am an Alien Demon. Remember, step 1 is to make sure you don't believe I exist.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
I can only assume that my avatar conveys the fact that I am Canadian, but not enough to scare the sled dogs.

I assume it means your a lumberjack and your ok.

Mine is one of my favorite places.... behind 6" of steel.
I find the animated avatars sometimes distracting with all the motion.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by exile1981]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I like mine because it doesn't waste so damned much space and wear out the finger to scroll past all ot the blank space on the page which is required only to display a lengthy image.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Are we human beings the avatars of our souls?

peace.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I picked mine because its almost Halloween and I liked this one AD made.

I dont really care what someone's avatar is. I go by their posts.

Nice punkins, though!

Originally posted by exile1981

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
I can only assume that my avatar conveys the fact that I am Canadian, but not enough to scare the sled dogs.

I assume it means your a lumberjack and your ok.

Darn tootin'!
Can't quite make yours out, though...can you post a bigger pic?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
What of the other side of the coin?

Images (in general) are all meant to convey a message... There's intent behind the images. I'm interested in whether that intent is noticed, internalized, acted upon...

Are we 'aware' of this? Are we reacting to the message that's being conveyed in that image and how influential is it to us as well as to the user?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

My latest is a bear trap because I was feeling onery and was ready to fight/debate.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I chose my avatar to express my disapproval of certain middle eastern wars that lacked adequate provocation and to protest against illegal domestic wiretapping. Also, it expresses my disdain for hypocrites who reap the benefits of scientific innovation and yet still cling to ancient superstitions about a sky wizard that is watching you 24/7.

I know all these things were fairly obvious from the avatar but I thought I would mention them anyway just in case.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Nuff' Said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join