It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Free Polanski" = Liberals gone crazy

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
How is this an issue with "political" sides???

Exactly.

This is NOT a political issue, it's a moral issue. And we all know that there are plenty of conservatives and liberals with questionable morals. On this part of the issue, I am certain.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere
Sky, it would seem they're throwing Polanski to the wolves at this time. Why is that? They've had earlier chances at extradition, it's been 32 years for pity's sake.

From what I have read (dont even remember the source, sorry), that he has traveled unannounced and US did not know ahead of time of his travels. He must have kept the down low. But this latest trip to Switzerland, US knew about (he was going to a film festival)........and contacted Swiss authorities and he was nabbed right away.

Edit for spelling

[edit on September 29th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Woody Allen, there's a surprise. Also, looks like alot of frog eating bastards on that list. I wonder if child rape is considered more 'acceptable' in france...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere
Sky, it would seem they're throwing Polanski to the wolves at this time.

I say, "Good Hunting!"

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Back at the time Polanski was arrested, charged, plead guilty and a plea bargain was arrived at for a sentence.

It was only when he got word that the Judge was going to reject the plea bargain, and throw the book at him, that he decided to flee the country.

There's only one issue at hand here, and that's the law. Polanski has yet to serve his sentence.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Orion65
As much as I think Skyfloating should change the topic heading to "Hollywood Elite Gone Crazy"

French-officials, the Swiss Green Party, the Swiss Directors Association, etc. are hardly "The Hollywood Elite".

Arrrgh. This quote from Cool Hand Luke just about sums it up:

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach..."

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The reality is this man is a bankable director and Hollywood legend, and part of that legend has been about his murdered wife who died at the hands of the Manson Family and part of that legend is his perennial fugitive status and part of that legend is some arguably classic and highly acclaimed motion pictures.

The victim herself has long ago settled for a sizable financial settlement out of court and does not wish to see Polanski prosecuted and hates the recurring publicity that happens every time an attempt is made.

The underlying conspiracy here for ATS is what does the typically neutral and highly secretive Swiss Government playing ball on this perhaps have to do with the pressure that the Swiss Banking Industry is under from the United States Government over the USB Bank scandal?

What billionaire or trillionaire money launderer and crook is getting a free pass for the Swiss napping Polanski, that’s what I would like to know.

How much flesh would the bread and circus loving masses like to extract from a man whose not only suffered great personal tragedy in his life, not only long ago made satisfactory restitution to his victim but has undeniably given the world an enduring legacy of art and entertainment?

How much of a distraction should we make over it when our own country as so well evidenced recently in Pittsburgh is going down the drain?

To err is human to forgive is divine, to let nonsense like this distract one from the more pressing issues of the day is well…stupid.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I don't think all liberals should be painted with your broad brush.
Polanski pleaded guilty and then skipped town before sentencing because he thought that the judge would not honor the plea deal. He did all of this to himself because he lacked any self control in sexually abusing a child and then was too cowardly to face the punishment for his crime. The little toad is not much of an 'artiste' and certainly not much of a human being.
I believe that Hollywood personae and their circles of sycophants are so out of touch with reality [they do live in a world of fantasy] that they lose sight of the fact that they are bound by the same laws that bind us all. The judge should take into account Polanski's 30+ evasion from his guilty plea and add that to his sentence or at least sentence him to the max for statuatory rape. If he lives to be freed again, he should then be marked as a pedophile and rapist on every list on the country.
I would ask those that defend him how they would feel if it was their young daughter that he raped. Would they think he was too wonderful an artist to evade his punishment in that case?

[edit on 9/29/2009 by pteridine]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Proto, I would like to say,

Simply well said,

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
What billionaire or trillionaire money launderer and crook is getting a free pass for the Swiss napping Polanski, that’s what I would like to know.

I spent a fair amount of time in Switzerland (and in fact am going again soon). I don't think you understand how the Swiss operate. They have a long tradition of secrecy in their banking industry. However, they also have a long tradition of tracking individuals who broke the laws that they subscribe to. I don't believe for a second there was a quid pro quo. By resisting the UBS disclosure and arresting Polanski, they simply upheld their principles -- in both cases.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I didnt read the whole thread, so forgive me...

I just had to say, I find it quite disheartening that a moderator is starting threads of political bias....I thought we were looking for open discourse he, not to put down other groups.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Polanski will end up paying a fine to the Swiss and a fine to the County of Los Angeles and never step foot in America, mark my words.

The Banksters are just doing what they do best, shaking someone down and fleecing them. As budget strapped as Los Angeles as California is and as shrewd as the Swiss are at turning a buck and as desperate as Polanski is not to spend more time in a California jail I don't see it working out any other way.

Justice is as allways how the State can best profit for itself.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The victim herself has long ago settled for a sizable financial settlement out of court and does not wish to see Polanski prosecuted and hates the recurring publicity that happens every time an attempt is made.

He was already prosecuted, he fled his sentencing. Her wishes are completely irrelevant at this point, and she has every right to avoid the publicity, but seeing that she was on larry king not too far back, i would argue she doesn't "hate" it. She was a little girl when he drugged, raped, and sodomized her. She testified, and he plead guilty. The fact that she's very well into adulthood now, and has probably come to terms with what happened, doesn't change that he did not serve his sentence. The money she recieved in order not to sue him for emotional trauma, after he fled his criminal sentencing, means nothing. It was not an "error", it was the rape and sodomy of a little girl. Amazing how some people can just brush that off.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Mods are people with ideas and opinions too.

It's healthy for ATS to see that Mods have varying perspectives and don't always agree but can still be polite when discussing our differences.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I didnt read the whole thread, so forgive me...

I just had to say, I find it quite disheartening that a moderator is starting threads of political bias....I thought we were looking for open discourse he, not to put down other groups.

Moderators are people too.(and they have opinions.)

While I don't agree with the premise of this thread Sky has the right to post it, inside of the T&C of course. Which this is. He should keep his thoughts to himself because he offers his free time to keep the board operating? No way.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
An ATS moderator who's bought into the phony left-right paradigm?

Just two sides of the same coin.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Look, you could also say that by rendering Polanski the Swiss would demonstrate the rule of law in their country, which will help them win some credibility in other matters including banking (which means big bucks).

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

You need to do a little more research on the case. He had made a plea deal with prosecutors and the Judge backed out of it at the last minute.

He spent 48 days in prison being mentally evaluated and was to pay a fine and recieve probation.

The judge wanted to send him back for an additional 48 days in prison and that's when he fled.

It's not like they were going to do a whole heck of a lot to him way back then, and the Judge who was involved is long dead.

It could be argued that the man made a mistake in part because of the tragedy he underwent or from chronic drug use brought on by the tragedy he underwent, or both or none of the above. The victim does not want to see him prosecuted and the victim accepted resitution and feels justice was done in that fashion. There are no more little 13 year old hippie girls running around pretending to be 19 accusing him of rape since then, I don't see a problem that U.S. Taxpayers need to pick up the tab on.

Not at this late date, all I see is another distraction for the bread and circus loving masses who would rather extract a pound of flesh from someone in the media arena than grow a backbone and fix their corrupt government and broken economy.

I calls it like I see it, and that's how I see it!

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Because we all know how anxious the Swiss were to hand over all those abandoned Jewish Bank accounts to next of kin at the end of World War II, the Swiss and Justice is kind of like saying Ronald McDonald and the Whopper!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join