It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's national flag to fly outside White House

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They're certainly modernizing their military, but while they may be beginning to approach the US qualitatively (getting within 10 years or so of us), they are nowhere near us quantitatively.

Look at the PLAN vs. the USN in terms of blue water & amphibious assets:

USN:

CVN: 11
LHA/LHD: 10 (can carry Harriers & act as small CV's)
LPD/LCC/'___' (large amphibious ships): 23
CG: 22
DD/DDG: 55
FFG: 30
SSGN: 4
SSBN: 14
SSN: 53
LCS: 2

Here's the PLAN:

CV: 1, (no engines, no aircraft)
LHA/LHD: 0
LPD/LCC/'___': 1
CG: 0
DD/DDG: 26
FFG: 51
SSBN: 3 (only 2 in service, 1 building)
SSN: 5
SSK: 49 (including 23 obsolete Romeos & Mings)

The Chinese are building up their military's capabilities - in their own backyard.
They basically have no power projection ability compared to the US.
If they started building to match the US now, it would take them 20 years.

They have nothing to threaten us with but nukes, and if they use those, they're toast anyway.

They're simply not a realistic military threat to us.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I'm basically in the same boat right now.
It is really tearing me apart lately, too.
I go through bouts where I am boiling mad. I mean just ready to ... well, go do something.
But then I realize, it isn't time. Not yet.
And then when I calm down I spend hours thinking about what else can be done.
Any way I look at it there simply aren't enough people that see the oncoming train to make an effectual attempt at ANYTHING.

This is a powerful system the fascists have installed.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

What if this is for a "head of state ceremony" - for our new head of state and obama's real master from Beijing - since they own us as others have said?

[edit on 9/4/2009 by centurion1211]

Now, THAT's a theory!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Originally posted by fleabit
It's ironic we can happily buy TONS of Chinese products every year, and just as easily let them suck up our debt, but when it comes to a flag, suddenly, they are an evil, communistic nation. In fact, I don't think ironic begins to cover it.

It's because flags are very symbolic - to a LOT of people. That is the reason why there are so many rules and actual laws associated with them and how to use them, etc. Symbolism is usually very emotional.

It's hypocrisy at its finest, that's all. Yes, symbolic because people don't like to be reminded of what hypocrites they are. We had no problems sending our athletes to their hosted Olympics. We buy probably 10 times as many Chinese products as American ones. And yet a FLAG is EVIL! omg!

And like I said, it's not even at the White House. This is simply another story that got legs because all the loudmouthed talk show hosts could take another shot at sensationalizing the event, and demonizing this administration.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

This is a powerful system the fascists have installed.

Indeed.

link   
Chinese Flag will NOT fly on White House Lawn!

Just FYI. Everyone can take a deep breath of relief.

Whew! Close one, huh?

link   
reply to post by xmotex

I'm well aware of the hardware.

I think however your last post I responded to regarding this matter left out their growing and modernized nuclear capabilities not to mention their space and naval forces. They are a far cry from the backwards country some seem to still believe them to be. Blanket statements about not being a possible threat are foolish IMO.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

And like I said, it's not even at the White House. This is simply another story that got legs because all the loudmouthed talk show hosts could take another shot at sensationalizing the event, and demonizing this administration.

What? Have you seen something I haven't?

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

YES...

TWO members posted the links to disprove your OP and title.

look four or so posts above yours...

What do you say?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Is this another flip-flop, BH?!
Because it sounds like one.
The Chinese dignitary says he was given permission to hold the event in front of the President's residence.

Sounds to me like the outrage has caused BO to make policy amends once again!
And you know where the discussion goes from there!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

YES...

What do you say?

I say I should amend my OP with this new information. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Chinese Flag will NOT fly on White House Lawn!

Just FYI. Everyone can take a deep breath of relief.

Whew! Close one, huh?

Damn it all, I just bought a new vile of patchouli and learned "IMAGINE" on my guitar

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Is this another flip-flop, BH?!

Golly, I don't know, Jay. Why don't you read the link and find out that the Chinese announcement was incorrect. In other words, the media got it wrong, like I said on page one of one of these threads.

The Chinese dignitary says he was given permission to hold the event in front of the President's residence.

In front of the house, not on the lawn. What a relief, huh? That fabric won't touch the white house lawn.

Sounds to me like the outrage has caused BO to make policy amends once again!

Sounds to me like you're makin' stuff up.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

A "possible threat"?

Sure, so is anyone with a half decent military, frankly.

A "likely threat"? Nowhere near it.

Japan could start building ICBM's & carriers tomorrow, if they wanted.
Europe could start arming and take us on.
Even the Russians or Indians if they decided to sink their entire GDP into a crash military buildup.

But generally people don't tend to bomb the places they invest all their cash in/get half their customers from

They also tend not to pick fights with countries with massive nuclear arsenals.

EDIT: DRAT BH!

Ruining all our fun with your pesky fact-checking

[edit on 9/4/09 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Hey, all is not lost. You can make a PODcast. Tie in the communism angle, mention Barack Hussein Obama, post a picture of the Chinese flag, you know... make an homage. That'd be awesome.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Obama is worse than John F#ing Kerry with these flip-flops!
Why all the hub-bub-bub? Why would that dignitary tell such an awful lie that he was told he could hoist the flag on the south lawn like that?

I smell a rat.

Edit: (notes that he has personally gone off the deep end. after spending the last hour talking about how this is not obama's fault I now place the weight of the world directly on his shoulders because of this issue!)

[edit on 4-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is part of the deal made with China over the loans they recently made with the U.S.A, we are to fly their flag on important China holidays from now on.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Thank you Slayer! I knew most of those things but I was too lazy to go dig up the articles and I know how everyone here wants links and I don't blame them.

I hadn't heard about the Chinese sub though surfacing near our carrier.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That's it, clean your carpets and your windows! The Chinese have come to evict us, I knew it was coming!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

YES...

What do you say?

I say I should amend my OP with this new information. Thank you.

I can't edit the news story because that is what was reported, so I added this in my part of the OP.

UPDATE: Fox News is now reporting that

The White House on Friday dismissed as inaccurate reports from China that the administration will mark the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic by flying the Chinese flag on the South Lawn.

However, it is interesting to note that in the Fox story, they said

China Daily's report -- which said the flag would represent strong U.S.-Chinese relations and recognition of China's success in hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics -- set off howls of protest on the Internet and among conservative talk show hosts despite failing to receive confirmation from the White House.

I don't read Fox, so I have to give credit for this part of the story to fleabit.

This is curious because the Global Times report I posted said this:

According to He Xiaohui, chairman of the Coordination Council of Chinese-American Associations, the ceremony is hosted by overseas Chinese organizations. To celebrate the 60th birthday of China, and to express their love for the motherland, overseas Chinese will raise the Chinese flag at 10 am that day.

And, according to the Fox coverage, this is a conservative issue with the administration. I don't get it... what does this have to do with partisianship? And, more importantly, for conspiracy hunters, why is Fox, who is notoriously conservative, reporting this way?

Hmmm... something fishy here.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join