It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's national flag to fly outside White House

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

China's national flag to fly outside White House

world.globaltimes.cn

The national flag of the People’s Republic of China will be raised for the first time on the south lawn of the White House on September 20.

“It was always my dream to raise a Chinese flag in the center of Washington DC,” he told the Global Times. “This year, my motherland’s 60th birthday, is the perfect time for it.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This flag raising ceremony is to celebrate the founding of China. A communist country - and, supposedly diametrically opposed to what the U.S.A. stands for - not to mention the human rights abuses that continue to this day even though we are now choosing to ignore them. This burns me deep. I have tried, to no avail, to find any reference to any ceremony on White House grounds that celebrated a country's founding by way of raising that country's flag - much less, celebrated a communist country's founding. The U.S. has been sold and now the new owners are moving in.

Edit to add: This IS NOT a head of state receiving ceremony, it IS in celebration of the birth of communist China.

UPDATE: Fox News is now reporting that

The White House on Friday dismissed as inaccurate reports from China that the administration will mark the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic by flying the Chinese flag on the South Lawn.

I don't read Fox, so I have to give credit for this part of the story to fleabit.

However, it is interesting to note that in the Fox story, they said

China Daily's report -- which said the flag would represent strong U.S.-Chinese relations and recognition of China's success in hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics -- set off howls of protest on the Internet and among conservative talk show hosts despite failing to receive confirmation from the White House.

This is curious because the Global Times report I posted said this:

According to He Xiaohui, chairman of the Coordination Council of Chinese-American Associations, the ceremony is hosted by overseas Chinese organizations. To celebrate the 60th birthday of China, and to express their love for the motherland, overseas Chinese will raise the Chinese flag at 10 am that day.

And, according to the Fox coverage, this is a conservative issue with the administration. I don't get it... what does this have to do with partisianship? And, more importantly, for conspiracy hunters, why is Fox, who is notoriously conservative, reporting it this way?

Hmmm... something fishy here.

One comment on the Fox story was entertaining:

by notmyproblem [Sep 4, 2009 5:09:11 PM]
Which communists should we believe, OURS or theirs???

world.globaltimes.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I never thought I’d see the day.
*Hangs head in shame*

But, living in a Nation where you’ve *Constitutional Free Zones* what do you expect.

God help you all..
S&F

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I am not aware if the flags of other nations are flying there too. If this is going to be the only flag besides US flag than I will be very much concerned about it.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Every day this flag is left up (and I don't know how long that will be) the President of the United States will wake up to gaze out of his window at the People's Republic of China's national flag. Yet, he didn't want to look at the bust of Winston Churchill sitting in one of the rooms inside of the White House. Looks like the priorities are quite clear.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlie0

I am not aware if the flags of other nations are flying there too. If this is going to be the only flag besides US flag than I will be very much concerned about it.

Charlie, you should be very concerned even without that. This is communist China we're talking about.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
How is this source, "Global Times"???

I don't know much about it, I went and read the article, but there were not very many more details. Are there any other sources for this info??

It really doesn't surprise me, seeing as how they own DC anyway! This has to be some kind of treason. Are they going to turn the US flag upside down at the same time? Seems appropriate!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I suppose this also means that were officially in the RED and that this is ONE part of the cost of humiliation for oweing so much to China from trade. Next we'll be selling or losing our rights to the moon....( Alice)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

OK, I believe it I guess!

Other sources:
amerpundit.com...

forums.hannity.com...

bearcreekledger.com...

www.ar15.com...

www.godlikeproductions.com...

So Pravda and GodLikeProductions are confirming it, but so are Hannity, and amerpundit, freerepublic, and about 100 other pages of sources on Google!!

Has anyone seen any MSM on this event? You would think Glenn Beck would be all over it!!

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Do people have selective memories?

This is occurring on the South Lawn of the White House (or backyard if you will). This is nothing new. This is part of the State Arrival Ceremony that has been preformed since 1961 in which a visiting head of state or head of government is formally welcomed to the United States. The ceremony usually begins a state visit, and is the setting of the initial contact between the two heads of state during the visit.

During the initial part of the State Arrival Ceremony, when the foreign head of state arrives, the flags of the fifty States and several territories are held aloft by members of the United States armed services, and the flag of the country of the visiting dignitary is flown alongside the flag of the United States.

This is a diplomatic gesture to show that while the flag is flown, the head of state of that foreign nation has been received at the White House.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks fratorormus. I did not know that.

I am still concerned though, because the article doesn't mention any official visit? It just mentions a celebration of China's founding. It also doesn't say how long the flag will fly, and it does quote a guy saying it has always been his dream to raise a Chinese flag in the center of Washington DC! That quote sounded kind of ominous!?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Calm down everyone.

Are we so fragile that a group of Chinese Americans celebrating the founding of their country and raising their flag for one day threatens you in some way?

There have been several foreign flags flown at the White House at the request of the President. And everyone lived.

Serbian Flag Raised at the White House - 1918

French Flag Raised at the White House - 1920

Italian Flag at the White House

And many more.

State Arrival Ceremony

The first State Arrival Ceremony at the White House took place on October 15, 1962 to greet President Ahmed Ben Bella of Algeria.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
This is nothing new. This is part of the State Arrival Ceremony that has been preformed since 1961 in which a visiting head of state or head of government is formally welcomed to the United States.

Uh, no it's not. This is a celebratory event - celebrating the 60th birthday of Communist China. No visiting head of state. Celebration.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Thanks fratorormus. I did not know that.

I am still concerned though, because the article doesn't mention any official visit? It just mentions a celebration of China's founding. It also doesn't say how long the flag will fly, and it does quote a guy saying it has always been his dream to raise a Chinese flag in the center of Washington DC! That quote sounded kind of ominous!?

The Flag of a visiting Head of State is only flown for while they are at the White House. The moment they leave the White House grounds, the flag is lowered. So, this will only be on the 20th of September and will probably be lowered by sundown.

Here is a link to a picture of George Bush welcoming Sino (Chinese) President Hu Jintao with the Chinese Flag raised at the White House during the last State Arrival Ceremony for the Chinese.

Bush & Hu Jintao 04 April 2006

[edit on 4-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I myself being a Army Veteran think it's very direspectful and dishonorable, to do this. What about those fallen soldiers who died during wartime from this countries support? As it is not Illegal, as long as it is not higher than our own or the U.N. I still find this absolutely unpatriotic

Display of United States Flag with Flags of Other Nations or
of States
The Flag Code sets out rules for position and manner of display of the flag in
4 U.S.C. § 7. The question as to the propriety of flying the flag of another nation at
an equal level with that of the flag of the U.S. is not clear from the face of the statute.
Section 7 contains two subsections on point and these provisions appear to be
contradictory. Subsection 7(c) states:
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same
level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except
during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the
church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services
for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the
United Nations or any other national or international flag equal,
above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to or in place
of the flag of the United States or any Territory or possession thereof:
Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the
continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag
of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor,
and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor,
with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the
United Nations.40
Subsection 7(g) states:
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown
from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of
approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of
the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.41
CRS-13
42 P.L. 623, § 3(g), 77th Cong., 56 Stat. 377, 378.
43 P.L. 107, 83rd Cong., 67 Stat. 142.
44 S. Rept No. 258, 83rd Cong., 1st Sess. (1953).
45 See, for example, Holmes v. Wallace, 407 F. Supp.493 (M.D. Ala.1976), aff’d without op.,
540 F.2d 1083 (5th Cir. 1976).
46 4 U.S.C. § 7(e).
47 4 U.S.C. § 7(f).
48 4 U.S.C. § 8(i) & (j).
The wording of § 7(g) is identical to that of the original Flag Code enacted in
1942.42 The second sentence of § 7(c) prohibiting flying international flags equal in
height to the flag of the United States was not in the original Flag Code. This
provision was added in 1953.43 The legislative history of this amendment clearly
states that is purpose was to “make it an offense against the United States to display
the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal to,
above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of
the United States at any place within the United States or any possession or territory
thereof,....”44 The only exception recognized is at the headquarters of the United
Nations.
When a statute contains apparently contradictory provisions, the rules of
statutory construction first mandate an attempt to interpret the provisions so both can
be given effect. If this proves futile, the usual rule is to give effect to the latest in
time. The reasoning is that this represents the most recent statement of the will of the
legislature. Following this second rule of construction would lead to the conclusionthat flying a flag of another nation at the same height as the flag of the United Statesmay not be proper etiquette under the Federal Flag Code, but this creates no right ofaction in private individuals.45

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Maybe this flag raising is blown out of proportion, but the examples you gave are a little skewed! Every one of those examples came from allies of the US. Countries with like-minded philosophies and freedom as their goal.

That is not the case with China. We stand fundamentally opposed to what their government stands for!! Do you think there would have been a lot of dissent to see a USSR flag raised during the Cold War? Or a Japanese Flag? How about Argentina? Bush took a lot of flack for his generosity with the Mexican President, and he never raised a Mexican flag?

Plus, this flag raising is not in conjunction with a Head of State's visit, or an historic treaty, or even a new frontier of cooperation, it is simply a citizen group asking to do it?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Don't worry, China will crash too. I don't think we're gonna become another Chinese province.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Calm down everyone.

Are we so fragile that a group of Chinese Americans celebrating the founding of their country and raising their flag for one day threatens you in some way?

There have been several foreign flags flown at the White House at the request of the President. And everyone lived.

Serbian Flag Raised at the White House - 1918

French Flag Raised at the White House - 1920

Italian Flag at the White House

And many more.

State Arrival Ceremony

The first State Arrival Ceremony at the White House took place on October 15, 1962 to greet President Ahmed Ben Bella of Algeria.

It's not the fact that a flag is being flown, it's the fact that it's the Communist China flag.

From your sources:
Seriban flag:

On Sunday, 28th of this present month, will occur the fourth anniversary of the day when the gallant people of Serbia, rather than submit to the studied and ignoble exactions of a prearranged foe, were called upon by the war declaration of Austria-Hungry to defend their territory and their homes against an enemy bent on their destruction. Nobly did they respond.

French flag:

French Tricolor Flown in Honor of Bastile Day There and on Government Buildings. PRESIDENT SENDS GREETING Ties Are "Indestructible and Will Abide Forever,"

Italian flag had no commentary by the president at the time.

NONE are COMMUNIST countries!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

This IS NOT a head of state ceremony. It is in celebration of communist China's birthday.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Cool!

I bet there will be a bucketload of postcards, posters, tShirts etc going around with that picture on it.

Sounds like a nice little money spinner.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join