It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What multitools do you use? (and why)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

Survivorman rules, and I learned a multitude of skills from him; the story of their use would veer dangerously into off-topic territory. But on topic, I've got a nice Leatherman-type device that I snatched from a combat engineer's kit of some sort.

[edit on 2009/9/2 by Griever0311]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

That's great!

I've been thinking about a lock pick in a SOG too but that's the first onw I've seen.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Cheers.

I like the look of the Kershaw multitools that you mention. They look like they'd be good for modding. Some are and some aren't. I bought a SOG because I could mod it.

As for there being plenty of screws out there, wtshtf people may be in an urban environment and have to deal with more important things than gutting a sheep!

Having a multitool would be a good idea - plenty of different tools in a compact size insted of having to lug a big tool kit around.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Even if you are not in an urban environment there will almost always be other equipment on you or around you that you will need some type of tool to work on. If you don't think that will be the case then a multi-tool with components geared toward wood working is still a great asset. SOG (and I'm sure some other companies) offer tool components such as the double toothed saw, an awl, scissors, 3 sided file, etc. These can be swapped with the screwdrivers.
Here are the optional components for my SOG Paratool:
SOG Components

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Sorry, I missed your post!

I think the LM Wave looks like a really good tool.

How is it for strength/sturdiness and "moddability"?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I've used multitools for almost 10 years.
I started out with the ol' Leatherman Supertool back in '99 of the last century.
It was the sturdiest MT of its' time. Lasted me about two year, until the file broke off (used it wrong). I baught myself a new Supertool, and gave away the old one, figured newer=better. WRONG. After trying different Leathermen for the next few years, I came to the sad conclusion that Leatherman had sold out to mass-mfg cheap capitalism. They might make pretty pink MTs that go really well with your gucci handbag, but certainly not ther good ol' robust tools they made in the times of yore (late 90s).
I tried the Gerber, but found that while lighter, it was also more brittle, and where the Leatherman bent out of shape, the Gerber snapped.
Next I tried SOG, but I suppose they mass-produce their tools cheaply now too.
My quest ended when I found the Swisstool.
Sure, they're fatter than an analog cellphone, but they last a looong time.
They are also customizable. And you can get a bit-handle, allowing you to use standard screwdriver bits.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

With regards your lockpick mod for tour SOG.

Did you manage to find a way of storing/attaching the tension wrench to the multitool???

What a great mod anyway. There's been many a time I wished I had a lockpick on me.

And also from a survival point of view it might come in handy wtshtf in an urban escape & evasion situation.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Nice work on the Paratool mod. I'll send you my old PowerPlier for some enhancements.
I never would have thought of that. I have made some picks out of some old hacksaw blades maybe I'll just chop one down to fit the SOG.

Next to my SOG I carry a Leatherman Wave in my EDC on a regular basis. I can access the blades without opening the handles.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
hey man if the shtf wouldnt it be better to just smash the lock in most instances.?

l

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Usually it's not the lock that smashes - it's the material that the lock's attached to.

So if you're not bothered about attracting attention and the lock is set in wood you're right.

If the lock's set in metal (metal door or gate) and you want to attract least attention as possible (say in an E&E situation) - you're probably wrong.

I thought it was a good mod anyway!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

yeah, but there is no way in hell i am gonna be able to pick a lock.
unless i had one of those automated ones, like used by the fbi.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Funny!

It's worth looking into. There's some good tutorials on youtube and it's nowhere near as hard as it's made out.

The tools are fairly easy to make - look on google images at lockpick templates.

You never know... you might even put one on your MULTITOOL!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I camp/survive lots!
And take friends on trips with me every so often, and predominately, they all have the "wave" by leatherman, and almost every time they need to borrow my leatherman "charger" same unit, a few more options and quite a bit sturdier.
I have not tried any others and so far have not had a need to, so just from dumb luck of owning a charger, I'll stick with it!
I would not take 2 waves for it!
I know there are others that are most likely better, but I have not had the need to find a better one, this one has been in my BOB for over 10 years.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
On consensus, what would you all say is the best of the best?
Does one stand out particularly from the rest?
I own a cheapo Kobalt multi-tool, and while it certainly is not the best of the best, it does function rather nicely.
I have tried to wreck the damn thing in testing for my Go-Bag, and it held up pretty well.
I have gotten lots of cheapo tools, that if I had save the deniro from I could have bought a good one.
None of them hung in there as well as the Kobalt.
It's heavy as a back of hammers and would be great for a melee weapon in sit. X

Seen here>
linky

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stanton Dowd

With regards your lockpick mod for tour SOG.

Did you manage to find a way of storing/attaching the tension wrench to the multitool???

Yes, if you look at the third picture in that post you will see that a full length tension tool slides into the bottom of the SOG with room to spare. When you partially swing out one of the other components its cam lifts the locking tab so that you can slide the tension tool in behind one of the components. When you swing the component back in the locking tab drops against the tension tool and holds it in place and out of the way. Its like the multi-tool was made for it. It is discrete too. I've shown several friends and they look it over and have no idea what I'm trying to get them to notice.

The standard SOG Paratool that I have came with some spacer shims between the components so that the swing out friction could be adjusted depending on what components you have installed. I just rearranged the shims to make room for the pick. The pick is thin so I didn't have to sacrifice any component. I placed the pick at the bottom of the component stack so that it hides between the large serrated blade and the tool handle body. The tension tool hides nicely along the inside wall of the tool.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Your mod is UBER-cool!

(sorry about the one liner but it really is a cool mod)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I've had 2 Kershaw's in my life. a Chive and a combo edge Blur. Both springs shattered within, after I let the SAME friend try them out. Some friend huh. All i can say is, don't add a flick of the wrist to the motion, they might shatter.

original leatherman... and a Rat cutlery Izula. No locking mech to break on a neck knife. 1095 HC steel 57-58rc.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
hello,
I have always liked the look and feel of the better Gerber Multi tools. Not the baby food company but rather the Portland Oregon knife company. The top end ones are comfortable and seem tight not much lateral shake. Housing is made from great stainless steel. Blades are razor sharp and they have good pliers and scissors.
I think it would be a great tool on the belt if the lights ever WENT out.

Just my opinion.

sparrow

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Leatherman Wave here also. Why I use it because I always have it when I have pants on. Don't use it that much, but when the situation comes it's always good to have.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Hi, I am a survivalist. To answer your question, you need a "multi-tool" that has a fire starter, can opener and some type of knife (if you already do not have a knife). Personally I do not carry a "multi-tool"... but if you are on a small budget and can only get a multi-tool, then you want one that has those three things at least.
TOOL LOGIC makes some excellent multi-tools for SURVIVAL (as most multi-tools do not really have the survivalist in mind). They do not have one with a can opener, but if there is a will, there is a way... I am sure you could rig one to one of their knife/fire starters...you can google Tool Logic knives and find their site...

[edit on 9-9-2009 by GregoNow]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join