It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What multitools do you use? (and why)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GregoNow

That's curious I've never heard of multitools having fire starting equipment before but the tool logic knives look ok for folding knives.

I'm not sure if the plastic handles would hold up very well

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The question asked was what type of multitool was good for "survival". Not what was a good multi-tool. I also stated that most multitools are not made with the survivalist in mind...they are made with the handyman in mind. The example I gave of "tool logic" knives was the answer as to what is a good multi-tool for a survivalist. I myself do not use a multi-tool and also stated that.
I don't like folding knives and do not use one. I use a Gerber LMF infantry knife as my survival knife. It's a bit heavy but good for hammering and an excellent blade. I then have a few different sources of fire being nato matches, surv. techs. blast match with wet tinders and a mag. block with metal striker. I however have a lot of different surv. equipment and it's all stuffed into a Badlands Monster lumbar pack which is a lightweight pack and it fits all my surv. equipment.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by GregoNow]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

A Leatherman Super Tool that I keep with me, and a $10 dollar Ozark Trail multitool they sell at Wal-Mart.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
OH, and as far as lock picking goes... learn how to make and use bump keys.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

You mean like these ones?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bda9b4f8bec.jpg[/atsimg]

Problem is you need a bump key for every type of lock you could run into, including padlocks. With the one pick on the SOG I can unlock almost any conventional lock.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I've carried a Gerber on my belt every day for at least the last 5 years. Would never use any other type of multi-tool. The one-handed flick-to-open is a great feature. I don't foresee myself carrying anything else in a survival situation.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think my next mod will be fitting a striker steel of some kind. Then maybe I'll start working on an ultra thin flashlight to replace one of the less useful components. I'll probably have to use hearing aid batteries and I have some LEDs the size of a grain of salt around here somewhere.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I use a Leatherman... don't recall the exact model, but I love it.

And I use the Swiss Army Champion model knife and what do I use the most with that knife? The ballpoint pen -- ladies are impressed when I whip that pen out when they are asking around for a pen. I use this knife all the time.

And I always carry a flashlight on my key set -- that's the tool that I use the most, as a light is always welcome at night and ladies also love to be assisted at night when they need it. With my flashlight, I have a smaller Swiss Army knife that is always on my key set as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Historical-Mozart
I use a Leatherman... don't recall the exact model, but I love it.

And I use the Swiss Army Champion model knife and what do I use the most with that knife? The ballpoint pen -- ladies are impressed when I whip that pen out when they are asking around for a pen. I use this knife all the time.

And I always carry a flashlight on my key set -- that's the tool that I use the most, as a light is always welcome at night and ladies also love to be assisted at night when they need it. With my flashlight, I have a smaller Swiss Army knife that is always on my key set as well.

That's really funny!

That deserves a star!

You really like the ladies and they really like your multitools!

I never realised the potential for impressing a woman by "whipping out" a multitool!!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
dainoyfb,
Like I said, the tool logic knifes already come made that way, depending on what model you get. I don't use a multi-tool. but if i did or had to, it would be a tool logic knife with a mod. here and there if needed...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I use a SOG powerlock - why... because I looked and looked and asked everyone elses' opinion and in the end decided that the SOG looked really really well made and I like that you can customise, repair it or mod it...

I'm going to add dainoyfb's lockpick mod - that would come in really useful - lost keys, removing car clamps and numerous other situations.

Another good mod, which you could steal off the Gerber pro scout, is to make an attachment that fits jigsaw blades - that will be my first I think.

Not too bothered about a firestarter or a torch on a mulitool - tend to have them as EDC anyway.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
For those that are confused on what you actually need to get for "survival" situations, I've started a thread on what you need first as far as worthwhile equipment, where to get it, etc. the link is below...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GregoNow

I don't think anyone in the thread's confused, this thread is more about what multitools are good in the eyes of the survivalists on this site.

I've been pleased to hear about the different mods too.

I think a regular multitool is an essential for EDC and BOB/survival.

But don't think anyone's too confused in this thread

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
For anybody else wishing to look into multitools any further I've found a great site.

www.multitool.org

There's load of info with a good forum where you can discuss and trade and talk about mods. Well worth a look.

Hope this helps other people who are thinking about putting a multitool in their BOB or EDC!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GregoNow
For those that are confused on what you actually need to get for "survival" situations, I've started a thread on what you need first as far as worthwhile equipment, where to get it, etc. the link is below...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is all a matter of opinion. No need to try and dampenl an interesting thread. Read or don't read. It is a choice. I'm sure that I can find plenty of fault with some your survival gear choices. Everyone has different preferences, capabilities and budgets to deal with. The choices are endless if you have a good understanding of the concepts.

A determined spirit can make do with just about anything. If your only cutting tool is a multitool than so be it. I have used the compact wood cutting blade in my leatherman to knock down enough saplings to make very comfortable shelters during my stint with an Outward Bound type program.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join