It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mozart Effect

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I find the layers and sounds in Psytrance just as relaxing for the most part. Busy, complex, and deep sounds all around. I have always listened to classical since childhood as well.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Great thread S+F

Personally, my favourite has to be Bach

I think the masses feel daunted by the idea of classical music. They feel its too high-brow for them, thats how i used to feel.

It can be so healing. Laughter certainly is the best medicine. But classical music is a close second

Peace.

Yes, mine too.
Bachs Brandenburg Concerto Number 3

Bachs Brandenburg Concerto #3

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Eurisko2012]

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of Berloiz. Often overlooked and highly underrated. Check out his works.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Nice post

I played classical music softly to my children from the time they were born

At the time, I'd read it was beneficial in the development of maths ability. Whether or not that's the case I don't know

but I do know they still listen to classical music (in addition to virtually all other music, barring rap and country and western)

They're excellent citizens and it's often been said that they're 'calm in a crisis', interestingly enough

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Really, nobody.

lol.

I think that'd be pretty weird to hear on a subways system!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It seems to me that, Mozart especially, created his music in a way that the melodies are so distinct and structured that I could see why this may be true. If you listen to his work it seems to reinforce the mathematical nature of all music in a very simple and profound way. It teaches music.

We all grew up listening to the stuff and it has influenced everything that we have today to the point that I would venture that anyone making nearly ANYTHING at this point is creating something directly influenced by one of the greats Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, etc..., but only in snippets.

The classical pieces are like the "grand unified" musical theory.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It is my own personal opinion that Mozart can not hold a candle when it comes to Beethoven though both are Masters in their own rights.

The effect that various forms of music has on individuals seemingly has far more to do with the vibrations that the various tones and notes, keys and chords have than the actual audible part of the music. The resonating vibrancy has a way of striking deep to the core of the central nervous system and evoking powerful feelings that run the gambit of human emotions fears and desires.

Beethoven like Mozart too performed often as soloists or accompanied by quartets of strings in private performances given to their wealthy and often aristocratic patrons and benefactors. It was in this fashion of ingratiating themselves to the nobles of the day that led to the endowments that would enable them to spend lengthy periods of time composing the intricate symphonies that comprise their legendary bodies of work and art.

Unlike most of today’s music that revolves around the lyrics, there private performances for patrons were always purely musical endeavors devoid of any form of vocal accompaniment. Yet Beethoven had a reputation for playing such powerful musical passages as to reduce even the hardest of European warlords to bawling, whimpering and sniveling putty as the chords and notes struck primal notes and resonated deep in the psyche of the listener bringing their own imagination and memories into play.

Beethoven was completely deaf when he wrote his last symphony and “Ode to Joy”. He wrote it with his ear pressed to the wood of his piano so he could register the vibrations resonating from the instrument as his artistic gauge. Still he had never heard the work he created because of his hearing loss and nervously conducted the orchestras performance on the opening night in Vienna absolutely terrified how the audience would react to the body of music he himself had written but could never himself hear.

Legend says he stood stone faced staring at the orchestra for 5 solid minutes at the conclusion of the finale afraid to turn to face the audience for fear his unheard symphony would be jeered and rejected. He in fact was so deaf he was oblivious to the fact that not a person in the house was left seated or with dry eyes and the thunderous applause shook the very structure of the building itself…until at last a member of the Orchestra turned him to face his worshipful audience.

It is all about the vibration, its frequency and how it resonates within you.

Some contemporary artist’s like Bob Segar sing “Today’s music doesn’t have any soul” but since art imitates life perhaps it could be said too many of today’s humans lack enough soul to appreciate or be affected by what are otherwise timeless masterpieces.

I have been a heavy metal and rock and roll drummer for 37 years now, but Beethoven really rocks. I think Kiss fans like Mozart!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
We must remember Masaru Emoto, and his famous pictures of water molocules, and remember that our bodies are mostly water, and will be affected by music.

Look him up, it's very interesting.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Really enjoyed the above three posts

Hope I'm allowed to say that

but in case not, will add that I learned a great deal (some of which had sunk to the back of my mind) and thank the posters for refreshing it

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I was just reading an article on this the other day and it made me want to buy some classical music for my kids.

I ended up buying this gem from amazon:

Its called the 100 greatest classical masterpieces of all time.

Only $6 for 9 hours of classical

Here is a link if you are interested

www.amazon.com...

[edit on 30-8-2009 by OpenYourEyez]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with music that is hundreds of years old. It has to do with songs that are structured in accordance with music theory. You would get the same benefits listening to some modern music where the artist is heavily saturated in music theory. Most of today's music is random hand banging. If you are in to stuff like that, check out Shawn Lane or Rusty Cooley. It all has to do with following music theory. You can't just strum some random stuff on a guitar and beat random patterns on a drum set. That has a negative affect.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I love classical music at least as much as the next guy, probably more. Aside from listening to it since an early age, I play classical piano. However, the Mozart Effect is mostly wishful thinking. I wish it were true, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

It is true that when certain music is played, people tend to feel more relaxed - at least, Westerners do. Soft, peaceful classical music can" soothe the savage breast", so to speak. It is entirely possible that the relaxing music played over a public sound system might reduce some violence, at least momentarily.

Unfortunately, many of the other claims for the Mozart Effect are beyond reason and not well documented. There is little evidence to show that playing Mozart or other classical music will make anyone smarter. Again, they may be more relaxed, and that might help them with learning tasks, but that would be true of anything that helped them to relax. Playing Mozart for your unborn fetus isn't going to turn your child into a genius. It could possibly help you to relax and feel better, which is reason enough to play such music.

Most of the claims for the Mozart Effect are qualities that are difficult or impossible to measure. We don't even know what we mean when we speak of "intelligence". We know that there are many different types of "intelligence", ranging from emotional to mathematical to spatial to verbal, and so on, and so forth. It is almost impossible to measure something as nebulous as "well-being" or "performance". I believe it is impossible to distinguish the so-called "Mozart Effect" from the effects of simple relaxation. Such tests have not been performed.

I would say that any technique that helps a person to relax, would produce something similar to the "Mozart Effect". Guided meditation, breath work, relaxation exercises, even massage would likely produce similar results. The bottom line is relaxation, not Mozart. A relaxed person is more efficient, more effective, and is likely to report higher well-being. S/he's also less likely to get into fights.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, I have to say I agree with the assessment that "new age" relaxation or contemplative music can often lack a bit of the complexity, or layers, of the classics. On the other hand, I have heard countless pieces of classical that are so simple and a-melodic that they simply bored me to tears.

I submit that layer upon layer of simplicity combined with repetition creates a vibrant complexity that demands the listener's attention and can at once force the brain to pay attention and sooth the nerves. This kind of sensory impact may cause both sides of the brain to operate at full capacity, which may, over time, affect the cognitive abilities of the listener.

I mainly listen to very fast, heavy, complicated music (metal). This partially stems from my early years of listening to classical and falling in love with Tchaikovsky and Mozart and others. That may seem strange, but the correlation is easy to identify when the composition of the music is taken into account. Simply put, both classical and heavy guitar rock can be very well composed, giving the listener a sense of controlled disarray with onion-like layers of sound. One measure to the next offers more and more without overpowering the previous. Great examples of beautifully composed metal include Metallica, All That Remains, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Dream Theater: I liken them to classical Authors like Beethoven, Bach, and Leopold Stokowski.

The point is that I think it is more a function of composition than the type of music. But, metal and rock often attract those from the very dumb to the brilliant, whereas I have personally witnessed very many more that are considered "smart" appreciating classical more than the "average". Exceptions to rule, but there is a rule.

Nice thread

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The rat study is fascinating as I memorized that D major Mozart sonata for my senior piano recital! I knew about the Mozart Effect but not that study -- I also memorized the Bach Italian Concerto in F Major.

And then I wrote a masters thesis on music theory, social justice and radical ecology for my 2001 masters degree at the U of MN. In the past couple years I've gotten into the conspiracy angle on this

my "biomusic conspiracy" article is at www.mondovista.com... and I have a couple "psychic music" articles with a conspiracy angle -- "Against Archtyas" -- the collaborator of Plato's music mind control project -- Western music -- mondopsicotronico.net... has links to those or try mind-energy.net... for the original source.

nonduality.com... is a summary of my expose on the conspiratorial "music logarithmic spiral" as the Actual Matrix Plan.

I sit in full-lotus all the time for All-Seeing-Eye nonwestern music harmonics via the tetrahedron pyramid power.... springforestqigong.com... is where I studied my lastest music -- I discovered that yang is 2:3, the Perfect 5th and yin is 3:4, the Perfect 4th.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by drew hempel]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
MythBusters did a segment on musical effects on plants. They were growing plants that were subjected to classical, rock, rap, etc. and the one that was subjected to classical music grew larger than the rest.

Interesting stuff....I do believe classical music has a great influence over your mind, whether Mozart or some other composer. I listen to it frequently...I tend to like the more aggressive/fast paced though - Night on Bald Mountain has been my liking for quite some time.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Well, I looked it up on Wiki.
They have a page on the Mozart Effect.
This is the best one i found.
If you listen to this once a day, you will get smarter.
These 2 piano players are good!
They have it memorized. No sheet in front of them!

They make it look so easy.
Smart Mozart - 2 Piano- Your IQ will increase! Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There is something about classical music that is simply amazing...it can be uplifting, peaceful, and even invoke fear and intrigue. I go through so many emotions when listening to classical music that modern music just doesn't come close to.
I don't know how these guys did it back then...geniuses? gifts from God? who knows...

I also have to thank old looney tunes for introducing all of us to classical music at such a young age

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by baboo
And to close the night...

J.S. Bach...

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor...

www.bing.com...

One of my favorites...gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PenandSword

good old Hector is relaxing i must agree.

i relax with all kinds of music (mainly sludge and metal) but classic is making me calm and relaxed like no other.

maybe it was my mother that played it constantly while i was a kid

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Mozart's Treasure was 'unleashed' as that Of Ray Lynch

A ride along the highway Of E-P

I've always thought the neural network of the brain was most similar to that of the Universe. What's at the core of the brain is what I find 'most' interesting; the glands a close second though no need to violate the Golden Rule for that Is forbidden.

What would happen if the 'people' acted as a 'whole' brain?
If they were all 'interconnected' or Connected with One another, "Imagine" the possibilities.

We shed another Tear?
"We have this hope".....I recall.
I Recall; you?

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Perseus Apex]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join